Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today's NFL has no patience for 'Next Belichick'

amfootball

This is a very insightful piece by Tom Curran who is a reporter for the Pats and also a Pats honk. That being said, he raises some great points in this story about whether the NFL has the patience to let the next "Belichick" develop. Much of what Curran speaks about here was alluded to on the Chip Kelly firing thread. Would love to hear what folks think about Currans assumptions in this story. I think he is spot on in many respects. The "win now" mentality and players being coddled could prevent the next great coach.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/tom-e-curran-todays-nfl-has-no-patience-for-next-bill-belichick

2 minutes ago, amfootball said:

This is a very insightful piece by Tom Curran who is a reporter for the Pats and also a Pats honk. That being said, he raises some great points in this story about whether the NFL has the patience to let the next "Belichick" develop. Much of what Curran speaks about here was alluded to on the Chip Kelly firing thread. Would love to hear what folks think about Currans assumptions in this story. I think he is spot on in many respects. The "win now" mentality and players being coddled could prevent the next great coach.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/tom-e-curran-todays-nfl-has-no-patience-for-next-bill-belichick

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking the Colts need to wait out Pagano, get rid of Grigson.  

As good as hoodie is and he's great, he's hurt his legacy to everyone outside of Pats fans with his cheating or accusations of cheating.  That's what gets me with Spygate and the Deflategate, Bill is a football genius and never needed to cheat or attempt to cheat, bend rules whatever you want to call it.  He'll beat 99% of coaches/teams straight up.  That is what angers me so badly about him and the Pats.

Just now, csmopar said:

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking the Colts need to wait out Pagano, get rid of Grigson.  

As good as hoodie is and he's great, he's hurt his legacy to everyone outside of Pats fans with his cheating or accusations of cheating.  That's what gets me with Spygate and the Deflategate, Bill is a football genius and never needed to cheat or attempt to cheat, bend rules whatever you want to call it.  He'll beat 99% of coaches/teams straight up.  That is what angers me so badly about him and the Pats.

You have stated your anger over the Pats cheating time and again. Can we try to keep this thread to the topic at hand as I think it is a really good one with black Monday approaching.

Just now, amfootball said:

You have stated your anger over the Pats cheating time and again. Can we try to keep this thread to the topic at hand as I think it is a really good one with black Monday approaching.

It is a really valid topic and good article.  I'm agreeing with it and the Bill is a great coach thinking.   Just editorializing a tad. I'm a history buff, in everything including sports.  I love a Dynasty team and as much as I can't stand the Pats, they are the one.  Just sucks with all the hoopla taking away from it is all I'm saying.

But back to the topic.  

Pagano is a decent coach, not sure he'll ever be the next great coach,  nor Kelly.  Question is, who is most likely to develop if given the chance

Just now, csmopar said:

It is a really valid topic and good article.  I'm agreeing with it and the Bill is a great coach thinking.   Just editorializing a tad. I'm a history buff, in everything including sports.  I love a Dynasty team and as much as I can't stand the Pats, they are the one.  Just sucks with all the hoopla taking away from it is all I'm saying.

But back to the topic.  

Pagano is a decent coach, not sure he'll ever be the next great coach,  nor Kelly.  Question is, who is most likely to develop if given the chance

I am a history buff too. That is why I enjoyed this piece. I do wonder about Kelly. I was not a fan of many of his moves but he was trying to build something and change a culture and then dismissed. Perhaps he was hurting the team but much of what Kelly was criticized for was said about Bill early on minus the racial stuff.

So you like Pagano? I think he is a pretty good coach. It is hard to tell how limited he has been due to Grigson. It is difficult for any team to find that right GM/HC relationship.

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But back to the topic.  

Kelly

Chuck is just your run of the mill coach.

14 minutes ago, amfootball said:

So you like Pagano? I think he is a pretty good coach. It is hard to tell how limited he has been due to Grigson. It is difficult for any team to find that right GM/HC relationship.

It's not that I like or don't like him.  I could go either way  honestly.

I just feel enlight of recent evidence saying he wasn't being allowed full rein as the coach, I don't think we can pass judgement fairly on him.  I'd be okay with giving him another shot.  Part of me wonders if the lack of showing in the first half of games is because someone upstairs changes or wont allow him to do his own game planning.  Just a gut feeling.

Very interesting article full of truth. Belichick is a anomaly. Winning is his game. Nothing or no one has sidetracked that philosophy since 2001. He's proved that. Is he the last one of his kind to stand the test of the NFL time clock? Maybe. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see another one down the road that stems from his genious schematic ways.

Belichick didn't benefit from anyone's patience. He got fired in Cleveland, then the Patriots won the Super Bowl in his second season. Three SBs in his first five years. Yeah, he says his program wasn't fully installed for four years, but they were winning. 

Owners in the NFL will show plenty of patience for a coach who wins a SB in Year 2. And they'll allow him to put together whatever kind of program he wants if he wins two more right away.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Belichick didn't benefit from anyone's patience. He got fired in Cleveland, then the Patriots won the Super Bowl in his second season. Three SBs in his first five years. Yeah, he says his program wasn't fully installed for four years, but they were winning. 

Owners in the NFL will show plenty of patience for a coach who wins a SB in Year 2. And they'll allow him to put together whatever kind of program he wants if he wins two more right away.

My thoughts exactly. 

You can't talk Patriots without cheating. 

What angers me is that Bill was a GOAT level coach already. Him taking so long to develop is a bit of a myth. He took the Browns to  the playoffs after manning the Kosar divorce and had the team at 4-4 before Art Model went crazy. 

However, I agree with the point of the article. Speaking of the Browns and 4-4...firing Chudz who went 8-8 and 4-4 before losing both the starting and backup quarterback was absurd. And gosh knows there are countless other examples. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the point of the whole story is owners and fans shouldn't expect magic and playoff births right away. The Patriots and bill are more of an anomaly.

3 minutes ago, natedizel said:

I think the point of the whole story is owners and fans shouldn't expect magic and playoff births right away. The Patriots and bill are more of an anomaly.

There's no question that some coaches get too quick of a hook. Using Belichick as an example of why you should have patience, though, isn't making that point. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's no question that some coaches get too quick of a hook. Using Belichick as an example of why you should have patience, though, isn't making that point. 

I'm just going off what belichick was saying about the quick hooks coaches get. I think the 4 rings give him the right to express his thoughts on matter, whether we use him or not for an example. 

4 minutes ago, natedizel said:

I'm just going off what belichick was saying about the quick hooks coaches get. I think the 4 rings give him the right to express his thoughts on matter, whether we use him or not for an example. 

I don't have a problem with his opinion, either. I mostly agree with it. I just don't think he's an example of it, but point taken.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

True. I would add the general themes is 3 years to build a winning team. He was surprised it happened in 2 years with 2001 SB.

His real dream tho was a plug and play team. Ever mindful injures are a fact of football life. When they won Carolina SB with one starting  safety left and that was Harrison with a broken arm, he doubled up in secondary the next year.

Not sure when the plug n' play actually started but I saw it in around 08-09. He wanted a team he could plug in pieces as they went down or didn't play well. He achieved that "entire" plug n play somewhere around 2010

53 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

True. I would add the general themes is 3 years to build a winning team. He was surprised it happened in 2 years with 2001 SB.

His real dream tho was a plug and play team. Ever mindful injures are a fact of football life. When they won Carolina SB with one starting  safety left and that was Harrison with a broken arm, he doubled up in secondary the next year.

Not sure when the plug n' play actually started but I saw it in around 08-09. He wanted a team he could plug in pieces as they went down or didn't play well. He achieved that "entire" plug n play somewhere around 2010

He was fortunate though to win in 2001. That was not a championship team with a 6th round pick in Brady coming off the bench and all the FAs that played above their heads. That defense was probably the worst of the run and yet played its best football in the post-season. I don't remember looking at 2001 and thinking Bill had done this amazing job as a GM or a coach. Everything kind of fell into place and Brady played well above everyone's expectation with the comebacks in the post-season and of course Adam.

I do think that one thing that makes the Pats unique is Kraft. He had said when he inherited Parcells that he had no intention of ever hiring another coach. When Parcells told him he was leaving after the 4th season it really hurt Kraft who is a man that believes in loyalty. So I think with Belichick, he was willing to give the rope he was not willing to give Parcells or Carroll in terms of the GM position and then let him do his thing. I do think that part is rare and probably not fair to compare to today's landscape and ownership.

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

He was fortunate though to win in 2001. That was not a championship team with a 6th round pick in Brady coming off the bench and all the FAs that played above their heads. That defense was probably the worst of the run and yet played its best football in the post-season. I don't remember looking at 2001 and thinking Bill had done this amazing job as a GM or a coach. Everything kind of fell into place and Brady played well above everyone's expectation with the comebacks in the post-season and of course Adam.

I do think that one thing that makes the Pats unique is Kraft. He had said when he inherited Parcells that he had no intention of ever hiring another coach. When Parcells told him he was leaving after the 4th season it really hurt Kraft who is a man that believes in loyalty. So I think with Belichick, he was willing to give the rope he was not willing to give Parcells or Carroll in terms of the GM position and then let him do his thing. I do think that part is rare and probably not fair to compare to today's landscape and ownership.

OK... here's what I'm missing the point on. 

1) Curran did an apples to oranges IMO. BB never pooped the bed like all these coaches that were fired. Harbaugh , Kelly and Shanahan all appeared to have their franchises heading in the wrong direction. I'm not sure they were fired because owners wanted their players "coddled." 

2) As to Kraft's feelings being hurt and that made him loyal to BB. He got a SB win in Belicjicks 2nd year .. then another and then another. Three SB wins in his first 5 years. It's rare that Kraft let him do his thing ? Poppycock ... love that word.

I don't think Harbaugh had his team going the wrong direction.  Dungy is the only coach for the colts to make it 5 full seasons since the 70's.  Both Irsay's just didn't think the coaches were right I guess.  

18 minutes ago, dw49 said:

OK... here's what I'm missing the point on. 

1) Curran did an apples to oranges IMO. BB never pooped the bed like all these coaches that were fired. Harbaugh , Kelly and Shanahan all appeared to have their franchises heading in the wrong direction. I'm not sure they were fired because owners wanted their players "coddled." 

2) As to Kraft's feelings being hurt and that made him loyal to BB. He got a SB win in Belicjicks 2nd year .. then another and then another. Three SB wins in his first 5 years. It's rare that Kraft let him do his thing ? Poppycock ... love that word.

Harbaugh did not have the niners headed in the wrong direction and was fired in part because his players did not like him. But let's face it he is also an egg head. Still, the niners are a mess now.

This is the thing. I am not sure you can draw linear lines with this which is why I liked the article. I do think the NFL is a culture of win now or else. That being said coaches like Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher seem to have nine lives.

I also think the Pats are an exception somewhat because of the luck of hitting on Brady and winning that first ring so soon. That being said, I wanted Bill fired in 2001. After the 5-11 season and Bledsoe's recession, I did feel like he was repeating what was happening in Cleveland. When he put Brady in, the media circus was unreal. Bledsoe was Kraft's boy, often referred to him as his son. So it took a lot for Kraft to stand by and let Bill make that decision. Of course when the SB came in just a few months later, Bill pretty much had free reign but many still did question if trading Bledsoe was the right move and keeping Brady especially after the Pats failed to make the playoffs in 2002.

I think owners are quick to give the hook but I also don't think the next Belichick is being prevented either necessarily. I do think Kelly should have gotten another season in Philly with a new QB.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Belichick was wooed and wed by Kraft.  Kraft is a savvy business man and savvy business men surround themselves with the best talent available.  There will never be another like The Hoodie, but that has nothing to do with the NFL.  He simply has no peers.  You have to give Kraft a lot of credit too.  He was a lot more than patient.  Remember too that the Pats carried four QBs to keep Brady on the roster when he wasn't good enough to be their third.  Who does that?

I like the article, but TC is just reading tea leaves.  The fact is that is was rare string of events that resulted in Robert Kraft owning the Patriots, getting to know Belichick under Parcells, hiring BB, and trusting his staff on Tom Brady.  

You can call it luck if you want.  

10 minutes ago, wizwor said:

Belichick was wooed and wed by Kraft.  Kraft is a savvy business man and savvy business men surround themselves with the best talent available.  There will never be another like The Hoodie, but that has nothing to do with the NFL.  He simply has no peers.  You have to give Kraft a lot of credit too.  He was a lot more than patient.  Remember too that the Pats carried four QBs to keep Brady on the roster when he wasn't good enough to be their third.  Who does that?

I like the article, but TC is just reading tea leaves.  The fact is that is was rare string of events that resulted in Robert Kraft owning the Patriots, getting to know Belichick under Parcells, hiring BB, and trusting his staff on Tom Brady.  

You can call it luck if you want.  

Very good write up. If you would ask Tom if he thought his career was luck he would probably find it very offensive. Brady always knew he was going to be a starting qb. If he was cut by the pats there's no doubt he would be a starter somewhere. Would he have accomplished as much, maybe not since he would be starting a few years later on.

2 hours ago, amfootball said:

Harbaugh did not have the niners headed in the wrong direction and was fired in part because his players did not like him. But let's face it he is also an egg head. Still, the niners are a mess now.

This is the thing. I am not sure you can draw linear lines with this which is why I liked the article. I do think the NFL is a culture of win now or else. That being said coaches like Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher seem to have nine lives.

I also think the Pats are an exception somewhat because of the luck of hitting on Brady and winning that first ring so soon. That being said, I wanted Bill fired in 2001. After the 5-11 season and Bledsoe's recession, I did feel like he was repeating what was happening in Cleveland. When he put Brady in, the media circus was unreal. Bledsoe was Kraft's boy, often referred to him as his son. So it took a lot for Kraft to stand by and let Bill make that decision. Of course when the SB came in just a few months later, Bill pretty much had free reign but many still did question if trading Bledsoe was the right move and keeping Brady especially after the Pats failed to make the playoffs in 2002.

I think owners are quick to give the hook but I also don't think the next Belichick is being prevented either necessarily. I do think Kelly should have gotten another season in Philly with a new QB.

Harbaugh seemed to lose the team in 2014 and it finished the season at 8-8 . They looked terrible the last 5 games. So why am I wrong saying they are headed in the wrong direction ? Plus if he had any say in the draft process , that was blown big time. The niners had a bevy of draft picks in 2013 and blew that one. Plus their 2012 class was horrible also. Who's to say why he was fired but IMO you can't just come to the conclusion Curran threw out at us.

I don't know what happened to the 49ers but they played in 2 SBs in my mind, because the 2 best NFL teams in 2013 met in the 2013 NFCCG. Meanwhile 2 bizarre plays were all that kept them out of the SB in 2012. Then they went 8-8. That's not bad coaching, wrong direction etc.

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

Harbaugh seemed to lose the team in 2014 and it finished the season at 8-8 . They looked terrible the last 5 games. So why am I wrong saying they are headed in the wrong direction ? Plus if he had any say in the draft process , that was blown big time. The niners had a bevy of draft picks in 2013 and blew that one. Plus their 2012 class was horrible also. Who's to say why he was fired but IMO you can't just come to the conclusion Curran threw out at us.

The owner of the niners cited a conflict of interest between him and Harbaugh and some of that was the culture Harbaugh created. I am not sure you can look at an 8-8 team and then say the team was headed in the wrong direction after 3 NFCCG appearances and a SB appearance.

I think with the niners the biggest issue was Kaep's regression. I would have been interested to see what Harbaugh would have done. He sat Smith down in what was a career season for Smith for Kaep and it was the right move as they got to the SB. He was very good at developing QBs and may have been able to find the next guy. He did pretty well at Michigan with a team he inherited.

11 hours ago, natedizel said:

If you would ask Tom if he thought his career was luck he would probably find it very offensive. Brady always knew he was going to be a starting qb. 

I don't know about that.  Brady is very confident (he told Kraft, "I’m the best decision this organization has ever made"), but I'd wager he would concede that he, Kraft, and Belichick being in the same place at the same time elevated a very good career into a legendary one.  Brady is aware enough of the game and its players to understand that the best QB in the wrong situation isn't going to win a SB -- never mind four.

I have been following the Pats since the 60s.  The first Three Games to Glory still gives me goosebumps, but none of that happens if not for the Tuck Rule and a blue chip kicker.  

2 hours ago, amfootball said:

The owner of the niners cited a conflict of interest between him and Harbaugh and some of that was the culture Harbaugh created. I am not sure you can look at an 8-8 team and then say the team was headed in the wrong direction after 3 NFCCG appearances and a SB appearance.

I think with the niners the biggest issue was Kaep's regression. I would have been interested to see what Harbaugh would have done. He sat Smith down in what was a career season for Smith for Kaep and it was the right move as they got to the SB. He was very good at developing QBs and may have been able to find the next guy. He did pretty well at Michigan with a team he inherited.

Is 8-8 and being a bad football team down the stretch after the great years headed in the right direction ? Quick hook yes , but stop arguing as I'm correct as usual.

Yeah... Keap is crazy. I think maybe it was an example of the NFL "figuring it out." He and RG3 both went from great to terrible in a hurry. Do you remember those talking heads drawing their X's and O's on their chalk board and showing us how "this and that " could not be defensed ? The answer somewhat was kicking the snot out of the QB when he pulled it in and ran. Also I think maybe they made sure their LB's were a little more athletic ?

Just now, dw49 said:

Is 8-8 and being a bad football team down the stretch after the great years headed in the right direction ? Quick hook yes , but stop arguing as I'm correct as usual. Yeah... Keep is crazy. I think maybe it was an example of the NFL "figuring it out." He and RG3 both went from great to terrible in a hurry. Do you remember those talking heads drawing their X's and O's on their chalk board and showing us how "this and that " could not be defensed ? The answer somewhat was kicking the snot out of the QB when he pulled it in and ran. Also I think maybe they made sure their LB's were a little more athletic ?

Jaws needs to make a national, public apology for declaring Kaep could be the greatest QB of all time. lol. He never gets called out on his extreme hyperbole. Why is that?

NFL defenses always figure offenses that are not predicated on traditional offensive football. The idea that a running QB was going to be more effective than a passing QB AND stay healthy was a myth that was proven rather quickly. I have always said and continue to say that the easiest way to beat a defense consistently is to have a QB that can drop back, read the defense, make a good decision and a good throw. It is fairly simple but so few guys that can do it.

You know with Manning riding the bench this week, I was thinking how a QB like him may never get looked at again because the colleges are so keen now on having athletic QBs. It is a shame as I think we are going to miss the cerebral brilliance of guys like him which will be a real shame for football going forward.

11 hours ago, dw49 said:

I don't think it helped Harbaugh that it was all but announced early in the season he was going to be fired.

48 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Jaws needs to make a national, public apology for declaring Kaep could be the greatest QB of all time. lol. He never gets called out on his extreme hyperbole. Why is that?

NFL defenses always figure offenses that are not predicated on traditional offensive football. The idea that a running QB was going to be more effective than a passing QB AND stay healthy was a myth that was proven rather quickly. I have always said and continue to say that the easiest way to beat a defense consistently is to have a QB that can drop back, read the defense, make a good decision and a good throw. It is fairly simple but so few guys that can do it.

You know with Manning riding the bench this week, I was thinking how a QB like him may never get looked at again because the colleges are so keen now on having athletic QBs. It is a shame as I think we are going to miss the cerebral brilliance of guys like him which will be a real shame for football going forward.

I think there enough colleges out there to prevent guys like Manning from going unnoticed.

11 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I don't know what happened to the 49ers but they played in 2 SBs in my mind, because the 2 best NFL teams in 2013 met in the 2013 NFCCG. Meanwhile 2 bizarre plays were all that kept them out of the SB in 2012. Then they went 8-8. That's not bad coaching, wrong direction etc.

From what should be two SB's to 8-8 losing 4 of last 5 is the beginning of going in the wrong direction. If not tell me what it is. 8-8 and collapsing the last 3rd of the season has to be the same or better than previous years if that's not the case.

So what is it ? I'm not saying he deserved to be fired on performance. Just saying what it is.

23 hours ago, amfootball said:

I haven't read the whole thread, but there is a lot of revisionist history in Curran's article, either that or his memory only goes back a few years.  Patience has nothing to do with it, Belichick won the Super Bowl in his second year after lucking into Brady.  I even remember reading a story where Belichick said that he felt he was going to be fired if Brady had not turned into one of the greatest QBs of all time.  The other coaches that were mention have not shown themselves to be very good, except Harbaugh and his issues were with the GM and ownership and Shanahan who got stuck with RG3.  A coach or Gm is going to get 3 or 4 years and if they do not show continual improvement they will be fired.  There are a few exceptions, but there are reasons for that too.

12 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I haven't read the whole thread, but there is a lot of revisionist history in Curran's article, either that or his memory only goes back a few years.  Patience has nothing to do with it, Belichick won the Super Bowl in his second year after lucking into Brady.  I even remember reading a story where Belichick said that he felt he was going to be fired if Brady had not turned into one of the greatest QBs of all time.  The other coaches that were mention have not shown themselves to be very good, except Harbaugh and his issues were with the GM and ownership and Shanahan who got stuck with RG3.  A coach or Gm is going to get 3 or 4 years and if they do not show continual improvement they will be fired.  There are a few exceptions, but there are reasons for that too.

I think Brady lucked into Belichick and Crennel who put the finishing touches on the Patriot defense and made it a unit who could shut down the 2001 Rams and the 2004 Colts, two of the best offenses in history.