Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Manning Now the #2 ?

dw49

Brock Osweiler - QB -  Broncos

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports "barring any significant changes" Brock Osweiler will be the Broncos' starting quarterback the remainder of the season for "however long it goes."

The Broncos' official Twitter account immediately shot down the report, saying "no decision has been made beyond this week, contrary to speculation from Bleacher Report." Cole left the door ajar for Peyton Manning (foot) to retake the job if Osweiler "struggles significantly." But based on the way the offense has played since Osweiler's insertion and Manning's league-high 17 interceptions, it'd be awfully tough to go back to the 39-year-old.

I would tend to agree with Cole but I wonder how things like this get written . I'm thinking he had no official word on this.

It would seem that way. It is pretty ironic that Brock may have won the job by beating the Patriots in the snow. Still, he needs to stay consistent and as there is more film on him things will get tougher. Pats bottled them up for three quarters so if other teams can copy that plan then I think he may struggle but I am not sure how many more teams have the personnel the Pats have on defense to do it. Cincy maybe but Denver is better than every other team they will play down the stretch and Cincy is in Denver.

You have to take Bleacher Report with a grain of salt.

As far as I can tell, there is no official word from Denver,  other than they're taking things week by week.

I  expect Brock to get a minimum of two more starts, and depending how things go, he very well could be the starter from here on out.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Peyton back in there if he gets healthy enough.  

16 minutes ago, amfootball said:

It would seem that way. It is pretty ironic that Brock may have won the job by beating the Patriots in the snow. Still, he needs to stay consistent and as there is more film on him things will get tougher. Pats bottled them up for three quarters so if other teams can copy that plan then I think he may struggle but I am not sure how many more teams have the personnel the Pats have on defense to do it. Cincy maybe but Denver is better than every other team they will play down the stretch and Cincy is in Denver.

I really like Brock, he has been great in his two starts. If they started Manning for this game, no doubt the Pats would have blown them out in a very ugly game. 

I kinda feel bad for this guy too. He beat New England, who was 10-0, the defending SB champions, in the snow with the wind, and people aren't even giving him credit. They're trying to give the credit to Manning for some odd reason. 

The Pats had this game in the bag, I thought until the muffed punt sparked life into Denver. The Pats were undefeated though coming into this game, and there is so much pressure on any team that has an undefeated streak going like that. Everyone wants to be the team that knocks off the undefeated one. NE will be fine. It's just one game, and next week I do not see them losing at all. 

Brock is far more consistent than Manning has been all year. I think the Broncos would be absolutely insane to go back to Manning in the end after how well Brock has played. I can see it happening though, given Manning's ego, he's going to fight in the end, and probably will end up starting in the playoffs and they'll have one very ugly game sending them one and done like last year. 

34 minutes ago, Gramz said:

You have to take Bleacher Report with a grain of salt.

As far as I can tell, there is no official word from Denver,  other than they're taking things week by week.

I  expect Brock to get a minimum of two more starts, and depending how things go, he very well could be the starter from here on out.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Peyton back in there if he gets healthy enough.  

For some reason my type was very small when I posted the thread. I did say that the report seems almost unfounded or at the very least it appears to lack credible back up.

Be careful with what you hear from Jason Cole.

In my opinion, if Kubiak could get out of the way and let a (healthy) Peyton run the offense he's used to, the Broncos will be in good shape.  You have to truly not understand football to make Peyton Manning run bootlegs and rollouts at age 39

Given it was only his second game Brock looked ok. He was playing NE, after all...even if they're a beat up NE they're still NE.

Will Brock be a world beater/the next very good or great QB? Probably not, but he's not constantly handing the game to the other team relying on the D to bail him out time and time again.  By that token, Brock should start over Peyton. DEN has a fair shot at a SB even if he's only a game manager.

DEN's O line has issues, but Brock really needs to work on when to throw the ball away. Hopefully that comes with experience. He can't keep taking sacks like that for -10+ yards. In that regard, Peyton is much better but Brock can learn. On the flip side Peyton can't really "learn" to throw any better. His body is what it is. If anything, he'll get worse as it gets colder.

Brock adds several important facets to the offense.. Opponents have zero respect for Peyton's running ability and long ball, which is justified. With Brock, DEN's O has more potential. It is what it is.

• The only way Peyton Manning is not the Denver starter in the post-season is if he does not recover.
  •  Brock Osweiler has done (and is doing) the job he was asked to do..

But you cant pick a guy who's started 5 weeks over a guy who has 5 MVPs.

You cant risk the season on that and I;m sure they wont..

I will admit that Brock beating both the Bears & Patriots did shock & surprise me. He also made the crucial play in both games when he had to. It's tough to make any lasting projections on Brock over such a small sample size, but I will admit that Brock not throwing any picks as of yet can't be ignored either.

I am curious to see how Manning might handle a longterm change in the QB pecking order though. There will come a point where Peyton must ask himself: Am I a team soldier & can I put my preferences aside for the good of the team if Elway asks me to? It boils down to this: Would winning a 2nd ring be less thrilling if #18 wasn't steering the franchise ferrari anymore? Hmm...

Just avoiding picks is not necessarily winning..as Alex Smith.

If the goal is to prepare for the future, then you play Brock..But even if Brock is there for 6 wins in a row (and he might be), if the goal is to reach the Super Bowl, you go back to the guy who's been there.. .

It depends on what the goal really is

I think the bigger question with regard to status is whether his foot will heal 100 percent this season. I just read an article today on ESPN that he said he was dealing with pain most of the season but that he tore it during the Colts game. If that is true than this is a fresh injury in terms of the tear. Manning said the doctors gave him no timetable for recovery as everyone's body responds differently to rest and treatment with this injury. Eli had said that he played with the same injury most of last season as his foot never fully healed until the off-season. So I think it is safe to just wait and see how Peyton is doing the next two weeks. The Broncos keep saying they want him at 100 percent health so maybe they see this as something where he does not play again in the regular season and is maybe ready for the post-season?

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Just avoiding picks is not necessarily winning..as Alex Smith.

If the goal is to prepare for the future, then you play Brock..But even if Brock is there for 6 wins in a row (and he might be), if the goal is to reach the Super Bowl, you go back to the guy who's been there.. .

It depends on what the goal really is

Agree but you have 2 wild cards in this equation. Weather conditions and "how healthy" does PM have to be ? It has the makings of being a major "story" or decision." 

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Agree but you have 2 wild cards in this equation. Weather conditions and "how healthy" does PM have to be ? It has the makings of being a major "story" or decision." 

The other decision is now do you sit a QB who has won 6 games in a row which would include Pats, Cincy and Pitt? I don't expect Brock to win all of the remaining games but even if he goes 4-2 against that schedule is pretty impressive. But I agree, weather is also a factor.

14 minutes ago, amfootball said:

I am not sure why my post appeared 3 times. Might be a site glitch. My apologies. I do not see a way to delete them.

In no way can you honestly tell me you would feel better going against Peyton instead of Brock in the Playoffs. I know Peyton has had a subpar Playoff Record but he also has won a SB and been to 3 and is always capable of beating any team. Brock is wet behind the ears. The fumbled Punt lost you the game and set everything in motion. CJ turned into Emmitt Smith in OT LOL

6 hours ago, Gramz said:

12295393_10153817417196318_1341743321520

I attempted to like your post Gramz & the new system took me to an unsuccessful page for some reason. If I was Gary Kubiak, I'd insert Manning as soon as the doctors gave 18 the green light. Peyton deserves to finish this year. He's earned it. 

Foot injuries always trouble me though. They can spell disaster for veteran players. Foot problems ailed Deion Sanders & Colts RB Bradshaw not that long ago. Man, I hope Yoda's procedure was a resounding success. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Site is glitching for some silly reason. I tried to like Radio's girl comment earlier and it did the same thing. Poor AM is probably thinking she did something wrong but it's the Site messing up.

My quote function is glitching too.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Site is glitching for some silly reason. I tried to like Radio's girl comment earlier and it did the same thing. Poor AM is probably thinking she did something wrong but it's the Site messing up.

It is funny how a machine glitch can make highly intelligent people feel dumber than a box of rocks isn't it? LOL! Like oh crap what did I do?

Whenever something executes correctly on this new site, I feel like this hilarious breakfast girl in the backseat. haha

https://youtu.be/nvUp2t-_QdI

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In no way can you honestly tell me you would feel better going against Peyton instead of Brock in the Playoffs. I know Peyton has had a subpar Playoff Record but he also has won a SB and been to 3 and is always capable of beating any team. Brock is wet behind the ears. The fumbled Punt lost you the game and set everything in motion. CJ turned into Emmitt Smith in OT LOL

This season I would rather face Peyton given how he has looked vs Brock. I would have loved the Pats chances vs Peyton in the wind and snow Sunday night. That being said, you are right. The muffed punt sent things in motion but Brock led the comeback and his arm stayed strong the whole game.

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I attempted to like your post Gramz & the new system took me to an unsuccessful page for some reason. If I was Gary Kubiak, I'd insert Manning as soon as the doctors gave 18 the green light. Peyton deserves to finish this year. He's earned it. 

Foot injuries always trouble me though. They can spell disaster for veteran players. Foot problems ailed Deion Sanders & Colts RB Bradshaw not that long ago. Man, I hope Yoda's procedure was a resounding success. 

So you think that even if kubiak FEELS Brock gives the broncos a better chance to win than Peyton does he SHOULD STILL play Peyton instead because he "deserves it and has earned it" from past seasons?

Imo, he wouldn't be much of a coach if he doesn't field what he thinks is the best team.

31 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

So you think that even if kubiak FEELS Brock gives the broncos a better chance to win than Peyton does he SHOULD STILL play Peyton instead because he "deserves it and has earned it" from past seasons?

Imo, he wouldn't be much of a coach if he doesn't field what he thinks is the best team.

Let me ask you a question LJ, since John Elway retired as the HOF QB in Denver, what player following his departure has made that team Playoff relevant since #7 left? I'll give you a huge hint: #18. Also, other than winning 2 SB rings with John Elway since 1997 & 1998, what the hades has Kubiack really done? Nothing except get fired by the Houston Texans.

To answer your question, Gary isn't much of a coach or to put it nicely he doesn't exactly dazzle & astound me. Peyton Manning returned the Broncos to respectability again & I roll with the field general who gave my franchise honor & prestige again. Plus, experience matters & if you look at Brock's 2 wins vs the Bears & Patriots, the margin of victory is hardly a wide one.

Don't fall in love with something because it's shiny & new. That quaint novelty wears off real quick. Besides, I wanna see what Brock does when the defense is having an off night & there's no running game. How does he respond when the wheels fall off AKA failure?

The other thing that irritates me is when I watch NFL Game Day Final after games on Sunday & Michael Irvin decides to laugh & make fun of Peyton Manning's struggles this year on the air. So classless & without dignity to me. Grow up Michael please & act like an adult please.

Look, I can understand if Manning's picks this year seem alarmingly high by his standards or what fans are used to seeing from him, but come on Michael, stop acting like a clown & remember that Peyton didn't just forget how to play ball. His body is breaking down. The man forgets more football than I will ever know.

For once in your life Mr. Irvin, show some decency & decorum please. Thank you.

I understand that this is Brock's last year on his rookie deal & John Elway needs to know what he's got in Brock, but to me you dance with the girl you promised to take to the prom. Yeah, I know my metaphor is kind of twisted here. All I'm saying is this: You go with the guy who took your club to the SB just 2 years ago.

Besides, Brock hasn't played Playoff ball yet nor does he understand what DCs will try to do to him just to mess with his psyche. Split the practice reps if you want between Manning & Brock as a safety measure, but Peyton starts when the games matter. That's not even open for debate to me. 

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Let me ask you a question LJ, since John Elway retired as the HOF QB in Denver, what player following his departure has made that team Playoff relevant since #7 left? I'll give you a huge hint: #18. Also, other than winning 2 SB rings with John Elway since 1997 & 1998, what the hades has Kubiack really done? Nothing except get fired by the Houston Texans.

To answer your question, Gary isn't much of a coach or to put it nicely he doesn't exactly dazzle & astound me. Peyton Manning returned the Broncos to respectability again & I roll with the field general who gave my franchise honor & prestige again. Plus, experience matters & if you look at Brock's 2 wins vs the Bears & Patriots, the margin of victory is hardly a wide one.

Don't fall in love with something because it's shiny & new. That quaint novelty wears off real quick. Besides, I wanna see what Brock does when the defense is having an off night & there's no running game. How does he respond when the wheels fall off AKA failure?

Re-read my post. I said IF KUBIAK THINKs Brock gives them the best chance to win you think he should STILL PLAY MANNING INSTEAD?

As a HC, without interference from above, it's his obligation to everyone concerned to field the best players possible for the upcoming game. Not to save face of a aging past super star.

I personally have not seen enough Broncos games/practices to know who the better option is.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Re-read my post. I said IF KUBIAK THINKs Brock gives them the best chance to win you think he should STILL PLAY MANNING INSTEAD?

As a HC, without interference from above, it's his obligation to everyone concerned to field the best players possible for the upcoming game. Not to save face of a aging past super star.

I personally have not seen enough Broncos games/practices to know who the better option is.

I re-read your post LJ & I stand by everything I originally said in my response to you. It's got nothing to do with "save face of an aging past superstar" IMO. It's about experience & Peyton's ability to dissect defenses, beat blitzes, & know everybody's job on offense better than they know themselves.

Brock hasn't faced live rounds in the baptism of the Playoffs yet. True, I will grant you that Brock has good velocity on long passes downfield probably better than Manning at this point in his  career, but with Peyton's mind, he still is a better choice in the post season than Brock right now. I will make 1 necessary stipulation though: If Manning throws 2 picks in his next start, I'm pulling him out of the game & Brock gets immediately inserted. Why? Because I know this is #18's last season in the NFL & I wanna get him a 2nd ring even if it means that Brock takes over. I'm a realist as opposed to being too sentimental when it comes to "The Sheriff."

51 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I re-read your post LJ & I stand by everything I originally said in my response to you. It's got nothing to do with "save face of an aging past superstar" IMO. It's about experience & Peyton's ability to dissect defenses, beat blitzes, & know everybody's job on offense better than they know themselves.

Brock hasn't faced live rounds in the baptism of the Playoffs yet. True, I will grant you that Brock has good velocity on long passes downfield probably better than Manning at this point in his  career, but with Peyton's mind, he still is a better choice in the post season than Brock right now. I will make 1 necessary stipulation though: If Manning throws 2 picks in his next start, I'm pulling him out of the game & Brock gets immediately inserted. Why? Because I know this is #18's last season in the NFL & I wanna get him a 2nd ring even if it means that Brock takes over. I'm a realist as opposed to being too sentimental when it comes to "The Sheriff."

I respect your opinion of Peyton over Brock, and I never said I disagreed with it either. I mean for crying out loud he's only started like 2 games lifetime.

However, my point was that if HC Kubiak THINKS Brock gives him the best chance to win he shouldn't be blamed for starting Brock regardless of what accomplishments and respect Peyton has earned in his career.

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 11:57 AM, dw49 said:
Brock Osweiler - QB -  Broncos

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports "barring any significant changes" Brock Osweiler will be the Broncos' starting quarterback the remainder of the season for "however long it goes."

The Broncos' official Twitter account immediately shot down the report, saying "no decision has been made beyond this week, contrary to speculation from Bleacher Report." Cole left the door ajar for Peyton Manning (foot) to retake the job if Osweiler "struggles significantly." But based on the way the offense has played since Osweiler's insertion and Manning's league-high 17 interceptions, it'd be awfully tough to go back to the 39-year-old.

I would tend to agree with Cole but I wonder how things like this get written . I'm thinking he had no official word on this.

Wow...does Jason Cole still have a job???

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Wow...does Jason Cole still have a job???

Yeah , I think he just pulled that out of his butt. On the other hand if Osweiller didn't implode , he may very well have kept the job.

Nice to see Peyton get another ring but he no doubt is pretty much done.