Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could we cut AJ in the offseason?

Those of you that understand and know the cap a little better than me lol. Is this a possibility. How much would it save us? If it saves enough it would seem worth entertaining. You'd think our starting receivers, or main 3 WR's will be TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett. Then maybe we could sign Brian Quick to a little cheap 1year deal. Quick's got a ton of talent. Just had issues with injuries and what not. He started out with a bang last year before getting injured, and now only has 1 catch this year. Just something I've been wondering about.

Those of you that understand and know the cap a little better than me lol. Is this a possibility. How much would it save us? If it saves enough it would seem worth entertaining. You'd think our starting receivers, or main 3 WR's will be TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett. Then maybe we could sign Brian Quick to a little cheap 1year deal. Quick's got a ton of talent. Just had issues with injuries and what not. He started out with a bang last year before getting injured, and now only has 1 catch this year. Just something I've been wondering about.

all I have to say is that any wr right now would be an improvement over Aj

Steel City's Link to AJ's Spotrac page says cutting Johnson will be a $2.5 Mill dead cap hit.

That's $2.5 mill that we can't spend on another player for one year.     Yes,  it can be done.   $2.5 Mill is not that much.

But the Colts may not want to do that....    probably won't know until the end of the year....

We really don't have a clear view of what AJ is capable of doing. I have seen quite a bit of tape and there seems to be quite a few times he is open, just not used. The one game he was used he caught two TDs. AJ just did not suddenly lose the ability to be a good receiver. This mind set of wanting people fired is understandable but only time right now is going to tell who is going to lose their job. The next few games will play a big part of who stays and goes. After Irsay's reaction after last weeks game I feel pretty sure a GM, some coaches and a few players are playing for their jobs. For some it might be too late, only Irsay has those answers.

We really don't have a clear view of what AJ is capable of doing. I have seen quite a bit of tape and there seems to be quite a few times he is open, just not used. The one game he was used he caught two TDs. AJ just did not suddenly lose the ability to be a good receiver. This mind set of wanting people fired is understandable but only time right now is going to tell who is going to lose their job. The next few games will play a big part of who stays and goes. After Irsay's reaction after last weeks game I feel pretty sure a GM, some coaches and a few players are playing for their jobs. For some it might be too late, only Irsay has those answers.

^^^Agree

I was purely talking cap implications ... I think AJ is a wait and see where he is at at the end of the season decision.

Steel City's Link to AJ's Spotrac page says cutting Johnson will be a $2.5 Mill dead cap hit.

That's $2.5 mill that we can't spend on another player for one year. Yes, it can be done. $2.5 Mill is not that much.

But the Colts may not want to do that.... probably won't know until the end of the year....

2.5 in dead money. But cutting him means they won't be paying him the 7.5 million. So they would have 5 million by cutting him. I'm not convinced aj is the problem though. Luck needs to throw it to him. Many times I've seen him open underneath. So let's see what the rest of brings

That 'dead money' isn't just dead money. It's guaranteed money.

Usually when we talk about dead money it's money that's already been paid, and it just has to be accounted for eventually. AJ's roster bonus in 2016 has not yet been paid, but will be, whether he's on the roster or not (assuming no conditions that we are unaware of). 

2.5 in dead money. But cutting him means they won't be paying him the 7.5 million. So they would have 5 million by cutting him. I'm not convinced aj is the problem though. Luck needs to throw it to him. Many times I've seen him open underneath. So let's see what the rest of brings

I'm sort of with you here.  Luck still has a problem of shying away from short throws.  He can make them, most days anyways (didn't seem like he could make any throw Monday night) he just doesn't want to throw short for some reason.

Quite frankly I think this is killing us.  Honestly I think that's why our receivers have trouble getting open.  All our passing plays are long routes.  It's so utterly predictable that all you have to do is tell your DB's to never bite on any fakes of short routes and always assume that it's gonna be a long route.  

Occasionally now Luck will check down to his RB but that's about it.  He doesn't throw to slant routes or quick outs or any route where he could do a three step drop look and fire.  

The shallowest route he throws besides an occasional RB checkdown is a deep crossing route.  

It's almost like Luck looks at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down as 3 shots to hit TY Hilton on a seam.  

Honestly, I think Dan Dakich hit the nail on the head, its not the recievers not getting open, the routes are very simple and the D can stay with them very easy.  Example, most of the routes have either straight down the field or at a slight angle. That's it, very vanilla.

All our passing plays are long routes.  It's so utterly predictable that all you have to do is tell your DB's to never bite on any fakes of short routes and always assume that it's gonna be a long route.  

Very loose use of the word "route." I'm looking at Colts receivers running 10-15 yards down field and then just turning around and looking at the QB.