Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Man, the AFC South is a complete train wreck

RockThatBlue

o_O

You: Irsay might be turning into Al Davis.

Me: How?

You: Firing coaches who win 8-11 games/year.

Me: When?

Yeah "might be" and if he does what every outlet is reporting he will do then that will be will be "when," no might about it. Assuming they win 8 of course. In any event you're taking the original comment for way more than the lighthearted comment that it was, and that's even allowing for a little expected fiestiness out of Colts fans on a Colts forum when everything isn't going like they'd planned.

Yeah "might be" and if he does what every outlet is reporting he will do then that will be will be "when," no might about it. Assuming they win 8 of course. In any event you're taking the original comment for way more than the lighthearted comment that it was, and that's even allowing for a little expected fiestiness out of Colts fans on a Colts forum when everything isn't going like they'd planned.

Yeah, you keep pushing this 'you guys are overly sensitive' thing, but that's got nothing to do with it. 

If Pagano gets fired after this season, regardless of how many wins we get, it's because he didn't earn a new contract. It's not because Irsay is impatient and erratic, it's because he wants a coach he believes can get the job done. He was obviously not fully convinced on Pagano prior to this season, hence the lack of a long term offer. And Pagano looks worse now than ever, so I don't understand this 'if Irsay gets rid of him, he's Al Davis' stuff. 

If 8-8 is the worst a guy can do...

We don't know that...if we go 8-8 with this squad and our QB is regressing and our defense is last in the league (from our defensive guru coach) then that tells me he probably can get worse. Fact is we are not utilizing the talent we have on this team very well...and while I love my Colts we got incredibly lucky coming back against KC a couple years ago and got waxed by NE....then we got Cincy at home with no Eifert and injured Green and we got an injured Peyton and then waxed by NE again. Fact is we aren't showing improvement...so how long do you let that go? The issues on the team that are keeping us from winning it all aren't being fixed by this current staff. I don't think its out of the question to make a coaching change if a team is going backwards and the staff isn't improving areas of obvious problems year in and year out. Lots of winning coaches get let go if they aren't getting the team to their goal....just because you win some doesn't mean you can't get better. Besides Al Davis issues were with him meddling with FA and the draft....him firing coaches was because they couldn't win because of him....Irsay doesn't meddle as a psuedo GM...he lets his guys do their job...and hopefully...hold them accountable if they don't.

If 8-8 is the worst a guy can do...

It's not about the worst he can do, it's about the best he can do. It's about maximizing his resources, and if the Colts go 8-8 this year (I don't know why you're stuck on 8-8, but whatever), Pagano most definitely will not have maximized what he has. If that leads to Irsay not thinking Pagano is the right guy to coach his team, then he should find a new coach, regardless of the record.

It's not about the worst he can do, it's about the best he can do. It's about maximizing his resources, and if the Colts go 8-8 this year (I don't know why you're stuck on 8-8, but whatever), Pagano most definitely will not have maximized what he has. If that leads to Irsay not thinking Pagano is the right guy to coach his team, then he should find a new coach, regardless of the record.

actually if you look at how cruddy this roster is, 8-8 isnt really that bad

False.

AC=average (lots of penalties), Mewhort= average, Holmes= trash, Thornton= Trash (barely started over Herremans), Reitz= average (career backup), Fleener= average, Luck=below average (right now), TY= slightly above average, Moncrief= average, AJ= Trash, Gore= not good (old and fumbles in critical situations)

need I go into the defense? This is an average roster at BEST. 8-8 is certainly reasonable

AC=average (lots of penalties), Mewhort= average, Holmes= trash, Thornton= Trash (barely started over Herremans), Reitz= average (career backup), Fleener= average, Luck=below average (right now), TY= slightly above average, Moncrief= average, AJ= Trash, Gore= not good (old and fumbles in critical situations)

need I go into the defense? This is an average roster at BEST. 8-8 is certainly reasonable

This roster is better than the rosters that have gone 11-5 the last three years. 

This roster is better than the rosters that have gone 11-5 the last three years. 

ehh, thats debatable. 

Its irrelevant anyways. When judging how the record should reflect in accordance to the quality of the roster, why would you compare it to your past roster? You can only compare the roster to other NFL rosters for that season. 

The overall league wasnt as good during those years, roster wise. The roster could very well be better this year than in previous years, but may not stack up against other teams rosters as well as it has in the past.

Its all moot though because our roster= trash

ehh, thats debatable. 

Its irrelevant anyways. When judging how the record should reflect in accordance to the quality of the roster, why would you compare it to your past roster? You can only compare the roster to other NFL rosters for that season. 

The overall league wasnt as good during those years, roster wise. The roster could very well be better this year than in previous years, but may not stack up against other teams rosters as well as it has in the past.

So you're contention is that the previous rosters were good enough in a relative sense to be 11-5, but this year's roster, though better, isn't good enough to do better than 8-8?

Like I said, false.

The prime reason this team is struggling right now is that the offense isn't playing well, and that's primarily because Luck isn't playing well. With reasonable play from Luck in the first 7 games, we'd be at least 5-2.

So you're contention is that the previous rosters were good enough in a relative sense to be 11-5, but this year's roster, though better, isn't good enough to do better than 8-8?

Like I said, false.

The prime reason this team is struggling right now is that the offense isn't playing well, and that's primarily because Luck isn't playing well. With reasonable play from Luck in the first 7 games, we'd be at least 5-2.

Add the fact the offense is having so many 3 and outs is wearing the defense out. If the offense starts putting some drives together, the defense will play better

Like I said, false.

right, u can keep repeating false like a broken record but that doesn't mean anything. its just your opinion. and for the record no I am not convinced this roster is better, I was just saying that for arguments sake. 

the team is struggling because there are a lot of bad players on it due to poor personnel decisions, that is the main reason at least. 

The colts have the 3rd fewest T.O.P. in the league. The defense gets gassed being on the field so much

Offense has 2nd most turnovers.

That puts the defense in bad situations. Football 101 stuff

denver isnt doing great in either of those categories either but they still have #1 d

right, u can keep repeating false like a broken record but that doesn't mean anything. its just your opinion. and for the record no I am not convinced this roster is better, I was just saying that for arguments sake. 

the team is struggling because there are a lot of bad players on it due to poor personnel decisions, that is the main reason at least. 

dwight-schrute-false-288x300.jpg

I agree with this so does that mean Pagano loses his job because his superstar QB is in a slump? I know there is more to it as you have the last 3 seasons as well and wondering if Pagano is THE guy to take this team further but if really does boil down to Luck and his play than that does not seem like a good reason to fire Pagano IMO.

That being said, in some ways I think the team, the roster, the record is all moot. It is apparent at least from the reports that Pagano and Grigson do not see eye to eye and that means someone has to go, usually the coach.

I agree with this so does that mean Pagano loses his job because his superstar QB is in a slump? I know there is more to it as you have the last 3 seasons as well and wondering if Pagano is THE guy to take this team further but if really does boil down to Luck and his play than that does not seem like a good reason to fire Pagano IMO.

That being said, in some ways I think the team, the roster, the record is all moot. It is apparent at least from the reports that Pagano and Grigson do not see eye to eye and that means someone has to go, usually the coach.

I'd like to see a more reliable source on these reports about Pagano and Grigson before I agree that anything is 'apparent.' 

As for Pagano, the question is about whether he is the guy. That encompasses a lot more than Luck's slump, or any other individual thing. And independent of Luck's slump, Pagano can (or could have) proved that he can be that guy. He really hasn't. If he could have kept this team on schedule, shaken off all the outside nonsense, and started strong this season, a lot of this noise would have just gone away. He would have proven that he is a great and qualified team leader, that he can handle his staff and manage varying circumstances, etc. He's missed a HUGE opportunity, and unless things turn around drastically, I think we all know what's going to happen at the end of the year.

Like I said, false.

Luck isn't playing well because he is banged

up due to a brilliant offensive line.

Wait but our need is a speedy WR in first round.

And we are supposed to have this "build the monster" at the line of scrimmage.

Grigson is crap. I never liked that decision from day one.

I liked the Dorsett pick because that gives us more speed, having said that I am puzzled to why we didn't Draft a single O.Lineman in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Round

Luck wasn't playing well from the opener.

And none of the OL taken from #29 and on have played well so far this season, further illustrating why you don't reach for need, expecting a rookie player to fix your problems right away.

It's fair to dislike the decision to draft Dorsett. But reaching for need is bad drafting.

ehh, thats debatable. 

NewB%20trollling%20is%20a%20art_zpsk0rm4

Yep. We've regressed. We're like the NFC South of last year.

It's a solid comparison QB. It feels like every team in the AFC South is limping along wounded or at least under performing this season. INDY just doesn't look strong right now at all. Yes, I know we got 21 points, but for some reason our starting drives in the 1st half sputter & false starts in our home stadium infuriate me since they speak to a lack of concentration & confidence. Our penalties are way too high in games this year. 

I need to watch the Saints game again once a personal family matter gets properly addressed & handled that is...

It's a solid comparison QB. It feels like every team in the AFC South is limping along wounded or at least under performing this season. INDY just doesn't look strong right now at all. Yes, I know we got 21 points, but for some reason our starting drives in the 1st half sputter & false starts in our home stadium infuriate me since they speak to a lack of concentration & confidence. Our penalties are way too high in games this year.

I need to watch the Saints game again once a personal family matter gets properly addressed & handled that is...

Yeah, slow starts and false starts really suck the air out of teams that usually perform well. I hope everything's well as far as you and your family are concerned Southwest.

"Yeah, slow starts and false starts really suck the air out of teams that usually perform well. I hope everything's well as far as you and your family are concerned Southwest." --QuizBoy

For some reason the quote button doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I feel bad for your Texans too man. I took no pleasure in that smack down from Miami either. Both Pagano & O'Brien appear to be going thru a rough patch right now & I like Bill actually. Hang in there man. 

I will send you a PM/e-mail regarding the personal matter which shouldn't really be discussed in the open. Thanks for your concern QB. I appreciate that immensely my friend.  :thmup:

The Texans aren't what their record says they are IMO. Sorry about RB Foster too man. I was devastated when he went down. He's a great guy man. I wouldn't wish that on anybody even a Dallas RB. 

I do kind of laugh with you not at you that WR Andre Johnson has made a minimal impact for the Colts this year. He was supposed to be a veteran difference maker for us on offense & Johnson hasn't exactly set INDY's squad apart for the better. I do find some humor in that reality. Colts take him off Houston's hands for hardly any game changing production to a heated rival. That's pretty darn funny to me. LOL! 

I think everybody blows the AFC south out of proportion. Yes, its bad but everybody acts as if its the worst division of ALL TIME.

It's up there. The Colts going 11-5 3 years straight has a lot to do with the division being terrible. The Colts are basically that kid at the basketball court who's in 7th grade but plays against 4th-5th graders and he looks like a star.

The division winner might not even have a winning record. This division is the laughing stock of the NFL.