Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upcoming Free Agents

He's already got what 4 this year? And that's with him not playing DE much. And not rushing the QB every snap. With Seattle he's playing OLB in a 4-3 scheme.  With us he would be rushing the QB pretty much every snap therefor IMO leading to way more sacks. To me he's a really good pass rusher. Seattle's just loaded down with em.

They moved him to OLB because he was a mediocre pass rusher

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need Osemele no matter what the cost is. We have to have a stud guard and he's one of the best. And he's really young too.

We won't get a chance at Osemele no way the Ravens let him go. They will let the 5 yr older G Yanda walk if they can't resign both.

If the plan is to keep Mewhort at G. I don't think we are that bad off. Thorton has the skill set to be a very good G. He seems to be finally putting it together. We will know by years end if he can stay healthy and finally play up to his ability.

The weak spot on the interoir continues to be Center. Holmes doesn't impress me. It looks like we will get a look at where Harrison is at Monday night.

The O Line with better play calling isn't as bad as Pep makes it look. Gore is getting 4.6 a carry if we lose the holding calls he would be over 5 yards a pop easy.

If Pep actually ran the ball or used screens or quick slants no telling what would happen at the very least the D couldn't just pin their ears back and come for Luck. We make ourselves one deminsonal

There is no question we need to keep adding talent to the O Line. We will need a RT and more depth. I believe a competent OC would go along way to solving some of the problems on Offense.

The biggest problem on this team is the D's inability to get pressure on the QB. That has to be the number one priority. We need OLB who can get consistent pressure. Continue to add to the DL.

It's not a problem that will be easily solved in FA. There aren't many teams that are going to let top pass rushers go in their prime so you end up with guys like 33 year old Trent Cole.

We need help at CB as well. We still don't know what we have in Smith. We should get a better idea the second half of the season.

AJ Klein ILB (panthers) - he played great while Kuechly was out and they desperately need a WR.

Since he's their backup to a world beater, trade for him now while he's in his final contract year.

Just sign him as a free agent

Get him traded for and signed before the overpriced feeding frenzy.

He's a back up LB not like he is going to top the market. And just because you trade for him doesn't mean he will sign here instead of testing the market.....especially if he plays well

Re-sign Fleener.  Consider re-signing Allen as well.

I think bring Stanton back to be the backup unless Hasselbeck wants to give it another year.  I didn't like him in pre-season but when it came to regular season he performed.

Forte would be a good signing because he can do everything.  Because of his age he probably wouldn't be too expensive either.  Rotate him in there with Gore.  

Need to sign a CB2 unless they think Smith can play that role.  

I'm ok with signing a modestly priced RT as long as he doesn't have a long injury history.  

In the draft we need an every down OLB who can rush the passer.  OL although honestly at this point I'm feeling like the only really BIG weakness on the OL is at RT.

Get an RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  

Alex Mack is likely to opt out. I'm ready to see him join the Colts, at the right price. And Andre Smith can come with him.

Castonzo - Mewhort - Mack - Thornton - Smith

I expect the Chiefs to tag Sean Smith, but if they don't, be ready to throw an offer at him also.

Jones, AJ and Cole can go. Dwayne Allen can walk, as can Toler, Herremans, etc. Keep Freeman at the right price.

• 1 month later...

Wish the edit opportunity lasted longer.....

A lot of good CBs on the list.  Casey Heyward, Janoris Jenkins, and even Morris Claiborne are worthy of offers.

Wisnewski and Mack (if available) would be good choices.

RBs Lamar Miller, Alfred Morris, and CJ Anderson could be useful.

I think Fleener is worthy of an offer.

I don't like the crop of pass rushers at all.  Looks like a position to target in the draf...early...mid ..and late.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

I don't know what the Ravens salary cap is like, but I would be shocked if they let Osemele walk out the door.

They have some cap work to do.

They're approximately $4m under the cap in 2015, so they'll be able to roll about that much over to next year. They have cap commitments in 2016 of just about $147m. If we project the 2016 cap at $155m (a little ambitious), they have just $8m available. That's about enough to sign their draft class. In addition to Osemele, they have Tucker and Upshaw hitting free agency, along with a few other contributors.

They can restructure/extend Flacco and create $12-13m in cap space pretty easily, aside from the part where they're giving more top five guaranteed money to an above average QB coming off an ACL tear, a QB that they were 3-7 with this year, who has never thrown for 4,000 yards or 30 TDs. But they gave him $20m/year and structured this contract with an insane $28.55m cap hit in 2016, so I figure they're okay with paying him this kind of money. 

The Ravens have never really been fond of paying interior linemen a lot of money. What they might do is move Osemele to LT -- where they've been playing him the last couple weeks -- and get rid of Eugene Monroe. They can also cut Dennis Pitta, who has played 7 games since 2012, and didn't play at all in 2015. Those two moves add $10m in cap space in 2016. They can do something with Suggs and/or Dumervil, and save up to another $9.5m. 

If they want him, they can keep him. But not without some work first.

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'd sign anyone of those free agents if they are willing to take a team friendly value oriented contract...just like Grigson has been doing the past three years.

Well, you aren't going to get some of the better free agents that way.  You get......well, you get what the colts ended up with.  I'm not saying they should go on a spending spree, but quality over quantity is a better approach IMO.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, you aren't going to get some of the better free agents that way.  You get......well, you get what the colts ended up with.  I'm not saying they should go on a spending spree, but quality over quantity is a better approach IMO.

My comment was a dig at others who do drive by analysis.  Its a good thing we didn't spend a lot of money on the oline , because I think that all of the high-priced Gs that were signed the past few years, they have been flat out busts for their new team, as are usually all high-priced FA.  I'd rather have a bust that creates no dead cap hit than one that creates a $5million dead cap hit.

I don't think grigs choked and missed out on signing high priced FA, because I think he was astute enough to see that there were none that were worth their high prices.  If mid level FAs are all that's there, then you have to sign them to mid level contracts...what other choice is there?

I think either Casey Heyward or Janoris Jenkins will be a good combination of talent and price for what we need opposite Vontae.  The same with Wisnewski at C.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My comment was a dig at others who do drive by analysis.  Its a good thing we didn't spend a lot of money on the oline , because I think that all of the high-priced Gs that were signed the past few years, they have been flat out busts for their new team, as are usually all high-priced FA.  I'd rather have a bust that creates no dead cap hit than one that creates a $5million dead cap hit.

I don't think grigs choked and missed out on signing high priced FA, because I think he was astute enough to see that there were none that were worth their high prices.  If mid level FAs are all that's there, then you have to sign them to mid level contracts...what other choice is there?

I think either Casey Heyward or Janoris Jenkins will be a good combination of talent and price for what we need opposite Vontae.  The same with Wisnewski at C.

Well,,he made Gosder the highest paid RT in the history of the NFL.  I actually thought Grigson could have done better that year by spending less.  Two guys I wanted, Matt Slauson and Andre Smith could have been had for peanuts.  

Its guess it not really the money he has spent, I just find many the players he chose to sign headscatching.

i would add once again add Andre Smith to your list.  They need to fix that offensive line once and for all.  He's not a perfect player, but an upgrade. Plus, they would finally have some tackle depth with Reitz and Goode.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well,,he made Gosder the highest paid RT in the history of the NFL.  I actually thought Grigson could have done better that year by spending less.  Two guys I wanted, Matt Slauson and Andre Smith could have been had for peanuts.  

Its guess it not really the money he has spent, I just find many the players he chose to sign headscatching.

i would add once again add Andre Smith to your list.  They need to fix that offensive line once and for all.  He's not a perfect player, but an upgrade. Plus, they would finally have some tackle depth with Reitz and Goode.

Andre Smith signed later that year for slightly less than we signed Cherilus for. And that's with some character concerns, and to stay on the same team. Couldn't have had him for peanuts; probably would have cost as much or more than Cherilus did. At the same money, Smith would have been a better choice, of course.

Just now, Superman said:

Andre Smith signed later that year for slightly less than we signed Cherilus for. And that's with some character concerns, and to stay on the same team. Couldn't have had him for peanuts; probably would have cost as much or more than Cherilus did. At the same money, Smith would have been a better choice, of course.

That's odd.  I rember reading he didn't get one offer from another team.  I guess I figured the bengals got him significantly cheaper than Gos.....not peanuts, but definitely cheaper.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Took a risk of injury with Gosder, who was good until the knee flared up...or could have taken a character risk with Smith...who worked out well.   No perfect choices eh?  I assume there were less-than-perfect alternatives with the other positions he filled, which is why the players were on the market. 

He just appears astute enough to see that by the contracts given out.  Yeah, more money in salary, but less in guarantees, meaning none of them will cost anything if they are not on the roster...not contributing.  That seems like a more competent way to approach non-perfect free agency than how about 28 other NFL GMs do it.

I think Reitz can hold down the position almost as well as any FA on the market and would rather draft his longer-term replacement this spring.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Took a risk of injury with Gosder, who was good until the knee flared up...or could have taken a character risk with Smith...who worked out well.   No perfect choices eh?  I assume there were less-than-perfect alternatives with the other positions he filled, which is why the players were on the market. 

He just appears astute enough to see that by the contracts given out.  Yeah, more money in salary, but less in guarantees, meaning none of them will cost anything if they are not on the roster...not contributing.  That seems like a more competent way to approach non-perfect free agency than how about 28 other NFL GMs do it.

I think Reitz can hold down the position almost as well as any FA on the market and would rather draft his longer-term replacement this spring.

Yeah,I have said many times his options were limited as when he signed Gosder.  I just thought Smith, warts and all, was a much better option than Vollmer and Gosder who both had injury concerns.  Oh well..

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yeah,I have said many times his options were limited as when he signed Gosder.  I just thought Smith, warts and all, was a much better option than Vollmer and Gosder who both had injury concerns.  Oh well..

This is a free agent thread, so I don't want to rehash the past with Grigson.  But we have established that there were no real stand out choices at the RT position to sign (and some wanted Jake Long too)  And I have mentioned that just about all of the FA Gs have been busts. 

So when people say casually, "he's had three years to fix the oline",  exactly how was he supposed to have done that any better than he did with the choices that were available at the time?

30 minutes ago, BOTT said:

That's odd.  I rember reading he didn't get one offer from another team.  I guess I figured the bengals got him significantly cheaper than Gos.....not peanuts, but definitely cheaper.

He went looking for a bigger offer, and didn't get one. Went back to the Bengals and signed for three years, $18m. In that respect, it was less than Cherilus, but the yearly average was just slightly less ($0.9m/year). Guaranteed money, signing bonus and structure were much better for Smith than what we gave Cherilus.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This is a free agent thread, so I don't want to rehash the past with Grigson.  But we have established that there were no real stand out choices at the RT position to sign (and some wanted Jake Long too)  And I have mentioned that just about all of the FA Gs have been busts. 

So when people say casually, "he's had three years to fix the oline",  exactly how was he supposed to have done that any better than he did with the choices that were available at the time?

I already told you.  Slauson and Smith 

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I already told you.  Slauson and Smith 

I know.  I just don't see the value in judging his free agency prowess by missing on the only two FA olineman in the past three years that have lived up to their contracts.  I mean, a GM has to identify the only two guys out of 30 that are any good, and be able to land them ahead of the competition, or else he stinks?  If that's the standard, every NFL GM will be fired every three years.

Its what I've said before in other threads.  I'm not a Grigson apologist, but I think the standards used for criticizing him to the degree he has been are simply out of line with reality.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know.  I just don't see the value in judging his free agency prowess by missing on the only two FA olineman in the past three years that have lived up to their contracts.  I mean, a GM has to identify the only two guys out of 30 that are any good, and be able to land them ahead of the competition, or else he stinks?  If that's the standard, every NFL GM will be fired every three years.

Its what I've said before in other threads.  I'm not a Grigson apologist, but I think the standards used for criticizing him to the degree he has been are simply out of line with reality.

I'm highly doubt there have only been two free agents that played well.  And it doesn't help his cause when he signed guys like Herremans, Lance Louis and Satele.....who were all beyond awful.

i will admit that a good offensive line coach would help lol

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm highly doubt there have only been two free agents that played well.  And it doesn't help his cause when he signed guys like Herremans, Lance Louis and Satele.....who were all beyond awful.

i will admit that a good offensive line coach would help lol

But Herremans and Louis were barely even signed.  They got no money, by any measurable standard.  I'm sure he wasn't thinking that they were all-pro players coming to Indy and taking peanuts.

Satele was actually a 2nd round draft pick by the Raiders and played pretty well for them.  He was signed by the Colts during an offseason where we didn't have even one center on the roster, and no TE when he drafted Fleener and Allen instead of a center (if there was one even worthy of a 2nd or 3rd that year).  Again, there were never as many realistic options as what people assume there were.

Anyway, enough about the past.  I'm interested in the upcoming free agents...the OP.  carry on.....

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But Herremans and Louis were barely even signed.  They got no money, by any measurable standard.  I'm sure he wasn't thinking that they were all-pro players coming to Indy and taking peanuts.

Satele was actually a 2nd round draft pick by the Raiders and played pretty well for them.  He was signed by the Colts during an offseason where we didn't have even one center on the roster, and no TE when he drafted Fleener and Allen instead of a center (if there was one even worthy of a 2nd or 3rd that year).  Again, there were never as many realistic options as what people assume there were.

Anyway, enough about the past.  I'm interested in the upcoming free agents...the OP.  carry on.....

Yet, that's who he brought in knowing the offensive line was a problem area.  Again, I'm not saying go out and spend a fortune on an interior lineman, but damn, get some one who doesn't stink.

the better option over Setele was the person he originally signed to play center.....Mike McGlynn.

also, Satele was drafted in the 2nd by the Dolphins who traded him to the Raiders a few hrs later for a 6th rounder. Not that it matters.

I'd really like to see the Colts get a C, RG, and CB in FA. We can grab a top tackle or good one in the first three rounds and a top OLB in the first 2 somewhere. I think grabbing players for these three positions would really help free up some need so we can go into the draft looking at talent more so than anything besides needing a OLB. If we don't get a top RT this year Reitz can stay at RT with Goode backing him up. I think we can get another decent year out of Gore, I'd rather not see a RB drafted when we could better use a pick elsewhere. Besides a linemen I hope we go all defense, that's where we need the most help IMO. 

My three main FA targets would be:

1) Brandon Brooks, RG, Texans

2) Trumaine Johnson, CB, Rams

3) Lyle Sendlein, C,  Cardinals

I'd also think long and hard about Bruce Irvin.  He's never had more than 8 sacks in a season, and he's always sayin' something stupid.  But Von Miller ain't gonna happen, and I'm really worried about the pass-rush.  I'd have Leonard Floyd ear-marked for my 1st round pick, but we need a veteran pass-rusher too.  I think I'd keep Mathis (already under contract) at this point, but part of me wants to ditch Mathis and see if Irvin could be a 12-sack guy in our system.  I also think we need a new back-up QB (since we squeezed the last bit of life out of Hasslebeck) and another low-level veteran OLB.  Say, Jimmy Clausen and Emmanuel Lamur (Bengals).

On 10/18/2015 at 1:09 AM, Booker23 said:

Don't see us resigned both TEs, seeming how both have been lackluster this season, plus Allen's injuries keep him off the field

I think Allen is gone. I would rather use a draft pick on David Morgan II from UTSA than resign Allen. He's talented but can't stay healthy.

It wouldn't be all that much of an improvement because we have Gore but I think Forte would be a better fit in our offense then Gore is.  

Gore's a good pass blocker and a good downhill between the tackles runner.  But he's not the guy you throw the ball to a ton.  Not a pass catching back.

Forte is much more of a pass catching back but can also do the other things well.  I would say he's kind of like a Bradshaw that doesn't get hurt as much.

He's not likely to be extended in Chicago because Langford did well.  

All that said, players like him don't come cheap.  We could really use a good durable back that can catch passes out of the backfield.  In 2014 when Bradshaw was in the lineup our offense sometimes looked unstoppable, thanks in part due to his pass catching.  Take that element out of our offense and it just hasn't looked the same.

On 10/26/2015 at 5:55 PM, Superman said:

Take the 30 best players on that list and cross out 25 of them, as they won't be changing teams. The other five will be incredibly expensive. 

In another thread you wrote that you would be interested in CB Josh Robinson.  He is a free agent and is only 24 years old. It is believed that he is too short for Zimmer's defense and is not expected to be re-signed. He won't cost much. He is yours. :) 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

In another thread you wrote that you would be interested in CB Josh Robinson.  He is a free agent and is only 24 years old. It is believed that he is too short for Zimmer's defense and is not expected to be re-signed. He won't cost much. He is yours. :) 

Much obliged.