Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking Surprisingly Alot Like 1998.

WoolMagnet

In 1998 when manning was drafted, the conditions were alot like the current conditions.

We were coming off a bad season after multiple (1995 and 1996) successful seasons. Harbaugh wasn't hated around here, and played well at times. And at that time NO ONE knew Manning would be successful. heck many thought he was over-rated and would take Leaf. We recently had also changed GMs and coaching. The fact that we are adding a new GM and possibly coach leans toward Luck, i think. With manning, they need a more short-term philosophy. A new regime wants to look to now, yes, but i think they would love a young, "franchise" QB to build around toward the future as well. This is similar to what Polian and the new coach were more comfortable with (Manning over harbaugh)

The new GM will prob have a coach in mind. We have changed def coord. Off coord could (should?) change.

This will be a different organization in a few months. An organization not linked to Manning in any real way (except Irsay). I see a new GM wanting the "kid" and not tying up alot of $ on a uncontrollable physical gamble (Manning).

I'm not sure what happens with manning , my hope is he miraculously heals in the next 6 months. My gut tells me different.

Regardless of the Manning issue, I just don't see how a team (especially a new GM) passes on Luck. Opportunities like this don't come once in a franchise's life for every team. We have a chance to get "it" in back to back tries (Manning , then Luck). Think about it , if things would work, thats 30 years of QB excellence. Unheard of. How can you pass up that opportunity?

Bite the bullet, pay Manning, draft Luck. Spend the money for the next couple years. Build a plan for post Manning (could be later OR now). Either way, manning healthy or not, you're covered.

The only thing that frightens me is how SURE people are about Luck. The name Ryan Leaf keeps popping into me head.

The difference was that Leaf's work ethic and character were called into question before the draft. Leaf relied so much on natural talent that when he transitioned to the NFL he had basically no work ethic.

The only thing that frightens me is how SURE people are about Luck. The name Ryan Leaf keeps popping into me head.

No one is sure about anyone.

Would you rather he was regarded as average? of course not.

The fact that he is regarded as "can't miss" is a positive.

With that being said , I'm not a Luck "fan" or anything. he just passes my "eye test".

Look, the fact is we need "the next" QB regardless of the manning issue.

No matter who you go with its a risk. EVERY pick is a risk. But, like in all life, you try to minimize the risk. That is what all the "hype" does for me. How can ALL the experts be so wrong?

Luck reminded me so much of manning against oklahoma State last night.

The stars have aligned and its a "good" year financially to have the 1st overall pick because of the rookie cap.

In 1998 when manning was drafted, the conditions were alot like the current conditions.

We were coming off a bad season after multiple (1995 and 1996) successful seasons. Harbaugh wasn't hated around here, and played well at times. And at that time NO ONE knew Manning would be successful. heck many thought he was over-rated and would take Leaf. We recently had also changed GMs and coaching. The fact that we are adding a new GM and possibly coach leans toward Luck, i think. With manning, they need a more short-term philosophy. A new regime wants to look to now, yes, but i think they would love a young, "franchise" QB to build around toward the future as well. This is similar to what Polian and the new coach were more comfortable with (Manning over harbaugh)

The new GM will prob have a coach in mind. We have changed def coord. Off coord could (should?) change.

This will be a different organization in a few months. An organization not linked to Manning in any real way (except Irsay). I see a new GM wanting the "kid" and not tying up alot of $ on a uncontrollable physical gamble (Manning).

I'm not sure what happens with manning , my hope is he miraculously heals in the next 6 months. My gut tells me different.

Regardless of the Manning issue, I just don't see how a team (especially a new GM) passes on Luck. Opportunities like this don't come once in a franchise's life for every team. We have a chance to get "it" in back to back tries (Manning , then Luck). Think about it , if things would work, thats 30 years of QB excellence. Unheard of. How can you pass up that opportunity?

Bite the bullet, pay Manning, draft Luck. Spend the money for the next couple years. Build a plan for post Manning (could be later OR now). Either way, manning healthy or not, you're covered.

There really isnt a reason to think this is like 98. Even though we have a chance to draft a franchise qb we are not a franchise that has never won. In 98 the indianapolis colts were a laughing stock. It isnt right now. We only need a few players to make it great again. I am not saying we could >>> it up and be a no body for a few years again. But, we have some pieces to win for a few more years. I really hope the front office doesnt throw everything to the wind and end up with nothing. Even the Patriots were no bodies for a long long time. Lets just do this right.

Jeff George was a number one draft pick I believe and his career was also not as good as expected. i don't remember him getting the hype that Luck does though.

This year is alot like '98. In '97 we were 1 -15 and Polian had drafted many O-linemen in the previous draft, and we were able to bring in a great young prospect in Peyton Manning. I don't believe Luck would be like Ryan Leaf. In fact, he would be ideal for the offense we have. He is a decision maker--a mental quarterback. A ball distributor--a pocket passer. Luck is perfect for the NFL and especially for the Colts. He has the mental capacity to process 3 to 4 receivers in the pattern and chose the best one on time. That is what separates great NFL qbs.

Another thing, Jeff George was a knee jerk mistake by GM Jim Irsay. As GM Irsay was terrible.--I hope he hasn't forgotten how bad he was and why he hired Polian in the first place. I hope the firings of the Polians is not just another knee jerk mistake like Jeff George (and his bloated contract) or Eric Dickerson was. We need a new GM yesterday--I wish Irsay would go ahead and hire Tressel as GM. I believe he can build a great football team. I know no one is talking about Tressel for GM, its just how I feel.

There is a lot of things like 1998:

We drafted two tackles with our first two picks in 1997. We had a very disapointing season coming off a first round playoff loss. Our starting QB was hurt for a good chunk of the season. Irsay fired the GM the day after the season. We had the top pick in the draft and we had to make decision about our current starting QB. There was supposed to be the best QB in the draft since Elway looking us in the face as well.

Mean while Manning during his senior year finished second in the Heisman Trophy race lost to a confrence rival and lost a hard fought bowl game to a team that could end up as a split National Champion. There was also another young QB who had came out of no where to fly up the draft boards causing Manning's once sure draft status as the top pick to fall in question. Sound a little bit like another QB's college season this year?

This year is alot like '98. In '97 we were 1 -15 and Polian had drafted many O-linemen in the previous draft, and we were able to bring in a great young prospect in Peyton Manning. I don't believe Luck would be like Ryan Leaf. In fact, he would be ideal for the offense we have. He is a decision maker--a mental quarterback. A ball distributor--a pocket passer. Luck is perfect for the NFL and especially for the Colts. He has the mental capacity to process 3 to 4 receivers in the pattern and chose the best one on time. That is what separates great NFL qbs.

Another thing, Jeff George was a knee jerk mistake by GM Jim Irsay. As GM Irsay was terrible.--I hope he hasn't forgotten how bad he was and why he hired Polian in the first place. I hope the firings of the Polians is not just another knee jerk mistake like Jeff George (and his bloated contract) or Eric Dickerson was. We need a new GM yesterday--I wish Irsay would go ahead and hire Tressel as GM. I believe he can build a great football team. I know no one is talking about Tressel for GM, its just how I feel.

Man, I was right with you up until the Tressel for GM part of it. Tressel doesn't have much experience in either the NFL coaching side or the business side of the NFL. I would be happy to have him as a Def. Coordinator and could possibly even live with him as coach. My personal belief is that the staff a head coach surrounds himself with determines his success.

Irsay surprised everyone by dismissing the Polians. Don't be surprised if Irsay pulls another fast one and NOT pick Luck. You never know he may trade the pick or even pick RGIII. I can see RGIII sitting behind Manning for a few years more so than I can see Luck doing so. I'm not advocating it but it is a possibility.

There is a lot of things like 1998:

We drafted two tackles with our first two picks in 1997. We had a very disapointing season coming off a first round playoff loss. Our starting QB was hurt for a good chunk of the season. Irsay fired the GM the day after the season. We had the top pick in the draft and we had to make decision about our current starting QB. There was supposed to be the best QB in the draft since Elway looking us in the face as well.

Mean while Manning during his senior year finished second in the Heisman Trophy race lost to a confrence rival and lost a hard fought bowl game to a team that could end up as a split National Champion. There was also another young QB who had came out of no where to fly up the draft boards causing Manning's once sure draft status as the top pick to fall in question. Sound a little bit like another QB's college season this year?

it really is amazing. we can only hope that we get a gm as good as polian.

i have been thinking the same thing about manning and luck the last couple days. i remember mike francessa raving about manning and hoping he would end up in ny after his junior year. then the next year some were saying leaf was better because of his physical gifts. it's the exact same thing now. when are people going to realize physical gifts don't make an nfl qb. if they did, it would be easy to find one.

I watched an interview tonight on the news with Luck. He answered in all of the "politically correct" answers, yeah I would sit behind Peyton, yeah I would go with whoever drafts me, but you could tell from the way he answered he was either extrememly tired of the questions or he didn't want to sit out two or three years before being a starting qb in the NFL.

I'm leaning toward a "not this again" type of comment but still at the time it had me wondering.

Well, if it is any consolation, watch this video and listen to what they say about Manning being "NFL ready" while Leaf had the potential to "climb farther". All these pundits on this board talk as if RG3 has "more potential". See what I'm getting at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1707zfdNCw

I watched an interview tonight on the news with Luck. He answered in all of the "politically correct" answers, yeah I would sit behind Peyton, yeah I would go with whoever drafts me, but you could tell from the way he answered he was either extrememly tired of the questions or he didn't want to sit out two or three years before being a starting qb in the NFL.

I'm leaning toward a "not this again" type of comment but still at the time it had me wondering.

I also think he was a bit upset because his dipstick kicker lost the game.

Well, if it is any consolation, watch this video and listen to what they say about Manning being "NFL ready" while Leaf had the potential to "climb farther". All these pundits on this board talk as if RG3 has "more potential". See what I'm getting at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1707zfdNCw

I just never really saw Leaf as a better prospect than Manning. I guess it's because I was attending an SEC school at the time and I watched Manning play alot. I watched him beat the heck out of my school too. I just remember Leaf and Manning both being raved about but I remember Leaf having character issues.

I see the similarity, but there were also major differences. We took Marvin, Tarik, and Adam in the 2 years prior to PM being drafted. That was solid bookend tackles, and a future HOF WR that was just beginning to take off when PM arrived. I don't see that now. Big difference.

Also, we had a team that was getting better after a long culture of losing, and now we have a team that got way worse after a long culture of winning. Again, similarities, but big differences. One thing we can agree on is,....that we want the results to be the same!

Someone else brought up you have to remember he was also coming off what had to be a gut wrenching loss too I am sure draft questions were not what he was wanting to talk about at the moment too.