Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it outrageous to think "Peyton Manning for OC in 2016"?

ColtJax

Hmmm, NFL - Mike Ditka, and Tom Flores.  Ivan Lendl - tennis. (Art Shell - possibly Jim Harbaugh -honorable mention)

Now for those that have not--

Jimmy Connors, Wayne Gretzky, Larry Bird,  Mike Singletary, etc...

Most good / great NFL coaches were NFL players, but often nothing special.

As for an OC, I'd love Tom Moore, now!  (Arians has him in AZ as Asst. HC, and it shows.)

exactly...

I could see Manning taking a post playing career path like Elway. Getting away from the game, doing some of his own business stuff, raising his kids, maybe doing some local football stuff on a smaller scale, and in 10-15 years maybe getting back involved with an NFL team as an executive. I don't see him being a coach; I don't think his talents are transferable. But an eye for talent and an ability to scout is something that can be acquired, and assuming he continues to have an enjoyment for the game, I think he'll want to get involved again at some point.

He was a great role player, obviously they won't be building a statue for him outside the United Center, but whenever they called his number, he delivered. Also coached his team to a championship in his first season as HC. That's a pretty solid resume.

The point is, its rare for great players to be successful coaches.

Nevertheless, they are former players that turned out to be really good coaches. I'll go ahead and throw Steve Kerr in the mix as well to add some "star power."

the idea was great players who become great coaches. That's a short list. There are a lot of so so players who went on to be really good coaches.