Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Cuts To 75 (Merge)

HtownColt

I was rooting for Pendleton -- I hope he gets a shot elsewhere.  With the Jones' injury, I'm kind of surprised to see Pendleton get cut this early, too.  Oh well.

Tim Jennings, IMO, has been pretty solid the past few years in Chicago.  I wonder if there's any chance of us giving him a shot --  I think we are pretty good at CB, but you can never have enough at that position, especially with Toler's tendency to be hurt.

You're absolutely right.  He's worth a look, for the right price.  He's a little older now, and coming off an arrest and arthroscopic knee surgery.  However, he has lots of experience, and that counts for something in the NFL, especially at the CB position. 

Jennings stunk it up in Indy (prior to the Grigson/Pagano regime, obviously) but he really flourished in Chicago.  It really baffles me since Jennings was playing in the Tampa 2 for both teams.

Anyway, Jennings is currently ranked as the 25th best CB by PFF.  He grades out really well in run support but his coverage ratings are gradually diminishing.

Even if the Colts don't land him, another team will. 

I think he's gone now after that performance Varga gave. Boom, Robinson & Varga can be the guys for the final game.

No need for Ballard anymore

I don't think they need Ballard but we've only seen one game from Varga and it wasn't against ones. The team loves Ballard no matter how much he's been injured and they will hope until the end that he can reproduce his 2012 magic.

You're absolutely right.  He's worth a look, for the right price.  He's a little older now, and coming off an arrest and arthroscopic knee surgery.  However, he has lots of experience, and that counts for something in the NFL, especially at the CB position. 

Jennings stunk it up in Indy (prior to the Grigson/Pagano regime, obviously) but he really flourished in Chicago.  It really baffles me since Jennings was playing in the Tampa 2 for both teams.

Anyway, Jennings is currently ranked as the 25th best CB by PFF.  He grades out really well in run support but his coverage ratings are gradually diminishing.

Even if the Colts don't land him, another team will. 

I don't think he'd be more than a 4th or 5th CB for us (behind Vonte, Toler, Butler and maybe behind D'Juon Smith and Jalil Brown) -- but I can't imagine a 31 year old CB who just got cut is going to be able to demand a huge contract.

If the coaches decide we need to keep 6 CBs, I certainly wouldn't mind them entertaining the idea.

I am optimistic that D'Juon has a bright future in this league, but he seems to be struggling so far.  Adding a vet for a year could potentially help him with development.

I don't think he'd be more than a 4th or 5th CB for us (behind Vonte, Toler, Butler and maybe behind D'Juon Smith and Jalil Brown) -- but I can't imagine a 31 year old CB who just got cut is going to be able to demand a huge contract.

If the coaches decide we need to keep 6 CBs, I certainly wouldn't mind them entertaining the idea.

I am optimistic that D'Juon has a bright future in this league, but he seems to be struggling so far.  Adding a vet for a year could potentially help him with development.

I'm fine with the logic here. I would just add that bringing in a vet who can play well should be stipulated. I don't think Jennings qualifies.

For anyone that's curious about former Colts players

Ex-#Colts cut today, so far: Moise Fokou (Browns), Tim Jennings (Bears), Caesar Rayford (Vikings).

— Conrad Brunner (@1070Bruno)

August 31, 2015

Ex-#Colts cut today, so far: Moise Fokou (Browns), Tim Jennings (Bears), Caesar Rayford (Vikings).

We can add Trent Richardson to the list:

Trent Richardson's NFL Career on Life Support After Raiders Cut Him :: Yahoo! Sports

I'm fine with the logic here. I would just add that bringing in a vet who can play well should be stipulated. I don't think Jennings qualifies.

I agree with you -- Jennings is not the best player.

The original poster's question was if any names stuck out -- Jennings was the only name on the list that stuck out to me.  I am sure our scouts may have some additional insight as to some of the OL who have been cut and there may be some players sticking out to them.

I doubt we sign Jennings, and not advocating that we do.  However, given the inexperience of our CBs after Vonte, Toler and Butler I would certainly not be against adding competition or improvements at the 4/5/possibly 6th CB spot.

Im fine with Vontae, Toler, Butler, Smith, Brown this year. Toler will need to be replaced after this year..Last year of his deal and he will be 31 in January

I think Sheldon Price has had a fairly decent pre-season.  I agree, he'd be the 6th on the depth chart at CB right now (with Vontae, Toler, Butler, Brown and Smith being the top 5), but the fact that this is his 3rd year with the organization makes me think the coaches or front office likes something about him more than maybe us fans see.

I agree with you -- Jennings is not the best player.

The original poster's question was if any names stuck out -- Jennings was the only name on the list that stuck out to me.  I am sure our scouts may have some additional insight as to some of the OL who have been cut and there may be some players sticking out to them.

I doubt we sign Jennings, and not advocating that we do.  However, given the inexperience of our CBs after Vonte, Toler and Butler I would certainly not be against adding competition or improvements at the 4/5/possibly 6th CB spot.

I think Sheldon Price has had a fairly decent pre-season.  I agree, he'd be the 6th on the depth chart at CB right now (with Vontae, Toler, Butler, Brown and Smith being the top 5), but the fact that this is his 3rd year with the organization makes me think the coaches or front office likes something about him more than maybe us fans see.

To the bolded, EVERY team has inexperienced/young players after their first two or 3 guys at DB. Behind those guys/starters are primarily ST's guys.

The reason for Price, in my opinion, is his size (height) and speed. He was BAD at UCLA, but the coaches must have seen something they could work with. He's shown flashes, but nothing really consistent. It's not really costing them anything to try and develop him. If they tap into Price's potential it's a low risk/high reward gain, however if not, the Colts give his weekly $10k PS money to someone else.