Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Moves

TKnight24

Interesting... well kinda... I figured they would be looking for more DBs or OL.... Odd to swap one WR for another at this point...

They saw enough of Rutenbeck to realize he won't cut it, now they can give another guy a shot. It's smart to churn the bottom of the roster.

This is his 4th season as GM. When is he planning on getting around to it?

After Luck has a season ending injury? Or perhaps a career threatening injury?

Not to mention we need a good OL in the post season vs good defenses so we might have some balance in the big games.

I don't think you can put that on pass blocking.  They've improved quite a bit in that regard.

That remains to be seen as far as I'm concerned. Last year Luck was the most Hurried & Hit qbin the league I believe.

That may be true, but the improvement as the season progressed was noticeable IMO.  At least for one game this preseason, it still continued to be good, so I'll take it right now.

The thing is how long are we suppose to wait. I think I've been waiting on our OL for like a Decade and a half. Lol.

For me, I think Grigson has had long enough to work the line. He's taken several different approaches, with mixed results. We need to get it right. That goes for the entire roster, IMO. His fourth year is kind of make or break, to me.

But I think the line looked good on Sunday. And I think we have some depth that will work out in the case of injury this season. So while we can't really know for sure what the line looks like, we also haven't really had a chance to grade them yet. If the line doesn't play well this year, my tune on Grigson will definitely change.

This is his 4th season as GM. When is he planning on getting around to it?

After Luck has a season ending injury? Or perhaps a career threatening injury?

Not to mention we need a good OL in the post season vs good defenses so we might have some balance in the big games.

Do you literally pay no attention to moves and pickups?

That remains to be seen as far as I'm concerned. Last year Luck was the most Hurried & Hit qbin the league I believe.

And remember,  a fair amount of that is on Luck,  because he holds on to the ball so much longer than other QB's as he's trying to make a play.

You can only expect the OL to block these guys successfully for so long......

Do you literally pay no attention to moves and pickups?

Yeah I do, do you?

Herremans, a proven good G, especially at run blocking. But is 32 and coming off injuries and is a question mark according to many on what level he'll perform this year. On this board it was even said his game vs the Eagles was bad. But it was only the first preseason game.

Mewhort, our solid rookie RG from last season was moved to RT, a position he is not accustomed or projected to be anything special.

Our centers Holmes & Harrison are below average.

And the only thing decent last year was the left side, LT & LG, is now a question mark because Mewhort is moved to RT.

It was only first preseason game BUT the Eagles first unit D completely shut down the run while they were in. There were no holes whatsoever. Tipton got blamed for his lack of production but there wasn't anywhere for him to go.

Now what do you see in this line that makes you confident that they can protect our franchise QB AND be a effective run blocking unit vs Championship level Defenses in the post season and

lead us to a SUPER BOWL???

Yeah I do, do you?

Herremans, a proven good G, especially at run blocking. But is 32 and coming off injuries and is a question mark according to many on what level he'll perform this year. On this board it was even said his game vs the Eagles was bad. But it was only the first preseason game.

Mewhort, our solid rookie RG from last season was moved to RT, a position he is not accustomed or projected to be anything special.

Our centers Holmes & Harrison are below average.

And the only thing decent last year was the left side, LT & LG, is now a question mark because Mewhort is moved to RT.

It was only first preseason game BUT the Eagles first unit D completely shut down the run while they were in. There were no holes whatsoever. Tipton got blamed for his lack of production but there wasn't anywhere for him to go.

Now what do you see in this line that makes you confident that they can protect our franchise QB AND be a effective run blocking unit vs Championship level Defenses in the post season and

lead us to a SUPER BOWL???

Yeah, this team still does not look like Super Bowl winner...Luck hides a multitude of shortcomings and wins a lot of games for the Colts, but when we play a top team who is good on both sides of the ball we won't beat them.

I thought the starting O Line had a couple good run blocks but I think the backups played a bit better at run blocking, Both had there moments, Overall I think Robinson was able to make chicken soup out of chicken**** when it came to the overall run blocking

I strongly disagree.

Well I respectfully disagree with you and others on our OL. While I think if everything falls in place it could be a average unit and NOT A LIABILITY like it was for a lot of last season. I Don't see it being a above average line that will propel us in the post season vs the Tough Defenses.

As a long-time Colt Fan nothing would please me more than to be proved wrong about our OL.

We all want the same thing here, to win multiple Super Bowls while we are fortunate enough to have another franchise qb. And I fear our line will make that more difficult.

Well I respectfully disagree with you and others on our OL. While I think if everything falls in place it could be a average unit and NOT A LIABILITY like it was for a lot of last season. I Don't see it being a above average line that will propel us in the post season vs the Tough Defenses.

As a long-time Colt Fan nothing would please me more than to be proved wrong about our OL.

We all want the same thing here, to win multiple Super Bowls while we are fortunate enough to have another franchise qb. And I fear our line will make that more difficult.

I'm not even talking about what I think the line might do in the future. I'm talking about Sunday's work. There were holes, there was room to run, and Tipton just didn't do a good job maximizing his chances. IMO. I don't have a monopoly on reality, but that's what I saw when I watched and rewatched the game. 

What happens over the course of the season is another story. But I would like to point out that the reigning champ Patriots had a piecemeal offensive line that was playing awful early in the season. They threw a rookie in at center in Week 4, and limped their way through the next month. They weren't a dominant offensive line at any point, and they don't have a bunch of first round picks on their line like the Cowboys, either. They got a bunch of snaps out of UDFA linemen, as a matter of fact.

So we're over here upset because we don't have a lot of pedigree on the offensive line, but results will speak for themselves. You've already determined that offensive line isn't good enough, and they've played one preseason game so far.

I'm not even talking about what I think the line might do in the future. I'm talking about Sunday's work. There were holes, there was room to run, and Tipton just didn't do a good job maximizing his chances. IMO. I don't have a monopoly on reality, but that's what I saw when I watched and rewatched the game. 

What happens over the course of the season is another story. But I would like to point out that the reigning champ Patriots had a piecemeal offensive line that was playing awful early in the season. They threw a rookie in at center in Week 4, and limped their way through the next month. They weren't a dominant offensive line at any point, and they don't have a bunch of first round picks on their line like the Cowboys, either. They got a bunch of snaps out of UDFA linemen, as a matter of fact.

So we're over here upset because we don't have a lot of pedigree on the offensive line, but results will speak for themselves. You've already determined that offensive line isn't good enough, and they've played one preseason game so far.

One, we don't have the luxury of having a Belichek type coach.

Two, I don't base my opinion on 1 preseason game. I base it on last year's performance and the changes we made this year are question marks.

To be fair Josh Mcdaniels is on another level when it comes to maximizing the O Line capabilities even if it takes them a while to do this they eventually get it together enough. Neither Pep or Gilbert seem to understand how to do that or that our O Linemen are not power blocking o lineman with the exception of Harrison and Thornton

One, we don't have the luxury of having a Belichek type coach.

Two, I don't base my opinion on 1 preseason game. I base it on last year's performance and the changes we made this year are question marks.

Bill Belichick didn't make Josh Kline and Bryan Stork play better. He's a great coach, but let's not act like everything that the Patriots get right is just because "Belichick is the coach."

Since about Week 14 last season, we've essentially replaced 80% of the offensive line (including moving Mewhort to RT). The only holdover from most of last season is AC, and he's a rock. Yes, the replacements are question marks, but how could they be anything different until we ***watch them play*** in more than one preseason game?

To be fair Josh Mcdaniels is on another level when it comes to maximizing the O Line capabilities even if it takes them a while to do this they eventually get it together enough. Neither Pep or Gilbert seem to understand how to do that or that our O Linemen are not power blocking o lineman with the exception of Harrison and Thornton

Not really. They had a strong rushing attack against us, and the rest of the year, they were average, maybe slightly above average. Josh McDaniels and the Patriots offensive line hasn't done anything special. They just plug and played their OL until they found an ideal mix -- partly due to injuries -- and eventually they started stringing together good games. 

Bill Belichick didn't make Josh Kline and Bryan Stork play better. He's a great coach, but let's not act like everything that the Patriots get right is just because "Belichick is the coach."

Since about Week 14 last season, we've essentially replaced 80% of the offensive line (including moving Mewhort to RT). The only holdover from most of last season is AC, and he's a rock. Yes, the replacements are question marks, but how could they be anything different until we ***watch them play*** in more than one preseason game?

Lol, since the OL is 80% replaced and has question marks and have only one preseason game to go on, why is everyone so high on them?

Lol, since the OL is 80% replaced and has question marks and have only one preseason game to go on, why is everyone so high on them?

This discussion in this thread started with you chiding Grigson for not spending enough time on the offensive line. In a thread about replacing the 90th man on the roster.

Everyone isn't so high on them. The thinking is just that the line might be better, rather than determining right now that they suck and there's no hope, and Grigson didn't do anything to fix it.

And especially when it comes to the view of the run blocking in the preseason game. That's what my biggest disagreement is. Be bearish all you want, but the run blocking when Tipton was in was fine; he just didn't do a good job finding holes and/or getting through them. Again, IMO.