Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How the Colts ended up w/ Manning in '98? (Embedded Tweets)

Steamboat_Shaun

Not sure what's more interesting, the fact that all of this stuff happened, or that I only vaguely remember it.

Bit of history: In 1997, Colts QB Jim Harbaugh got * at Jim Kelly and punched him in the head prior to a game. Harbaugh broke his hand.

— Brad Wells (@BradWellsNFL)

August 12, 2015

That's the same Jim Harbaugh coaching Michigan now. As a result of that broken hand, the Colts went into a tailspin. Ended season at 3-13.

August 12, 2015

Because of that 1997 season, the Colts got the 1st overall pick in '98. Used that pick on QB Peyton Manning. Harbaugh walked in free agency.

August 12, 2015

That 3-13 '97 Indianapolis Colts team featured Jim Harbaugh at QB, Marshall Faulk at RB, and Marvin Harrison at WR. Crazy, huh?

August 12, 2015

you have to admit it is kind of funny, regardless of wells. firing marchibroda in favor of lindy infante in '96 had a lot to do with it as well

that was one of jimmy's biggest blunders following his father's death

Irsay was smart enough to realize that he wasn't a good GM, and did whatever he had to to get a good GM to run his franchise. Traded for Bill Polian (best third round pick in Colts history), and the rest is history.

The timing of this is impeccable. Maybe this will have the same effect for the Jets after the Geno incident? They're going to end up with Hackenberg next year, and he's going to win them at least one Super Bowl.

Or maybe I should stop drinking so much Pepsi.

you have to admit it is kind of funny, regardless of wells. firing marchibroda in favor of lindy infante in '96 had a lot to do with it as well

that was one of jimmy's biggest blunders following his father's death

Timing is off Robert was in charge until his death in 1997. Best thing was Jim fired Infante and Tobin.

Ir

Because a lot of people claim to be Irish without any understanding of the nation's history or what it means to be Irish. But if it is because of our recent referendum then it's fair enough.

You shouldn't be so dismissive of the affinity Irish diaspora and descendants have for the Irish identity. Without it, Ireland would not have benefitted from anywhere near the amounts of foreign direct investment and tourism revenue over the past 30-40 years.

You shouldn't be so dismissive of the affinity Irish diaspora and descendants have for the Irish identity. Without it, Ireland would not have benefitted from anywhere near the amounts of foreign direct investment and tourism revenue over the past 30-40 years.

More like without the extremely low corporation tax.

And tourism is not as a result of "Plastic Paddys"

More like without the extremely low corporation tax.

The Corp tax rate is one element of a package sold by the IDA, its draw is often exaggerated. What was more of an enticement were the tax loopholes (i.e. the Double Irish), most of which are no longer.

Regardless, a lot of investment has come from the Irish-Irish/American networks. Believe me.

The Corp tax rate is one element of a package sold by the IDA, its draw is often exaggerated. What was more of an enticement were the tax loopholes (i.e. the Double Irish), most of which are no longer.

Regardless, a lot of investment has come from the Irish-Irish/American networks. Believe me.

I'm outmatched here, so I will concede this one. Without trying to split hairs I believe I am talking about a different kind of person to you.

I'm outmatched here, so I will concede this one. Without trying to split hairs I believe I am talking about a different kind of person to you.

No, I get what you mean. What I am saying is 'Brand Ireland' may be annoying at times, but it is very economically beneficial.

Well wells is wrong about one thing. Colts traded harbaugh to the Ravens. Also if I recall the season was in a tailspin before harbaugh broke his hand.

Brad Wells is wrong about a lot. His most outlandish position was his recent decision to stop being a Colts fan because he felt Irsay should've been able to stop RFRA. Because Pence would certainly have listened to Irsay even though he didn't listen to the CEOs of Eli Lilly and Cummins.

Brad Wells is wrong about a lot. His most outlandish position was his recent decision to stop being a Colts fan because he felt Irsay should've been able to stop RFRA. Because Pence would certainly have listened to Irsay even though he didn't listen to the CEOs of Eli Lilly and Cummins.

sorry your right I should have been more clear he was wrong about one thing regarding this topic lol.

Hey Brad... Went into a tailspin? Didn't they start 0-7 before that incident that year? Finishing 3-6 was an improvement...

Facts never got I the way of Brad trying to tell a story. I remember that season, the Colts played better after Harbaugh came back from that injury.

The Colts didn't own the first pick that year until the Cardinals beat the Falcons on a last second 4th and goal TD  -- Plummer to Centers -- on the last game of the season.  That knnocked the Cardinals out of the first pick and gave it to the Colts.  I remember celebrating that TD with my nephew.

The timing of this is impeccable. Maybe this will have the same effect for the Jets after the Geno incident? They're going to end up with Hackenberg next year, and he's going to win them at least one Super Bowl.

Or maybe I should stop drinking so much Pepsi.

The Jets are better with Geno out and Hack would be a perfect pick for them. He's awful.

The Jets are better with Geno out and Hack would be a perfect pick for them. He's awful.

I don't watch much Penn State football, but apparently the guy's line was terrible. I can see why he threw as many picks as he did but yes, this past season did not go his way. He's still being mocked as the top quarterback or perhaps even the top player in the 2016 Draft though. I think a lot of the scouts see him having a big bounce back season.

I don't watch much Penn State football, but apparently the guy's line was terrible. I can see why he threw as many picks as he did but yes, this past season did not go his way. He's still being mocked as the top quarterback or perhaps even the top player in the 2016 Draft though. I think a lot of the scouts see him having a big bounce back season.

Unless he makes a big, big jump this year he won't go anywhere near first and I haven't see anything out of him to make me think he will.