Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you pay Dez Bryant and Demariyus Thomas?

oldunclemark

The final weeks of the off season will see the contract solutions for Dallas' Dez Bryant and Denver's Demariyus Thomas. Deion Sanders somewhere is saying 'Pay 'da man' but its not that simple.

Both are at the end of 5-year rookie deals and both have been slapped (ouch) with the franchise tag of $12,323.000 for the 2015 season. Dez is 26. DT turned 27 last December.

You be the GM! Accepting that the talks BEGIN at $12.8 a year, what would you pay them and how many years would be guaranteed?

The final weeks of the off season will see the contract solutions for Dallas' Dez Bryant and Denver's Demariyus Thomas. Deion Sanders somewhere is saying 'Pay 'da man' but its not that simple.

Both are at the end of 5-year rookie deals and both have been slapped (ouch) with the franchise tag of $12,323.000 for the 2015 season. Dez is 26. DT turned 27 last December.

You be the GM! Accepting that the talks BEGIN at $12.8 a year, what would you pay them and how many years would be guaranteed?

A pack of trident gum for Dez. I wouldn't even sign Dez if he paid the organization to do it. I can already imagine him yelling at luck for not throwing to him.

I could've seen damarius signing with the colts for revenge but the roster is too full and we're glad with what we got.

A pack of trident gum for Dez. I wouldn't even sign Dez if he paid the organization to do it. I can already imagine him yelling at luck for not throwing to him.

I could've seen damarius signing with the colts for revenge but the roster is too full and we're glad with what we got.

i think you have an outdated view of Dez

I have a hard time paying either anything higher than 12.8.  The only difference would be I might be more willing to give a 6 year deal to Thomas and Bryant would be lucky to get 5.  My issue with Dez is that while talented he seems much to involved with himself that he causes his own distractions (see Washington game last year where a rookie UFA makes a fool of him).  Thomas is someone that has potential, but his issue is what kind of career is he going to have without Manning?  He really didn't show much before and while he is seasoned now the unknown is huge.

I have a hard time paying either anything higher than 12.8.  The only difference would be I might be more willing to give a 6 year deal to Thomas and Bryant would be lucky to get 5.  My issue with Dez is that while talented he seems much to involved with himself that he causes his own distractions (see Washington game last year where a rookie UFA makes a fool of him).  Thomas is someone that has potential, but his issue is what kind of career is he going to have without Manning?  He really didn't show much before and while he is seasoned now the unknown is huge.

I agree here. I would give DT a 7 year $90 mil. contract with probably a third of it guaranteed (at least $30 mil.). DT showed enough production with Tebow at QB, so give him a decent QB, he will make it count in the red zone. So I am not worried about post Manning production at all with DT. He has a great work ethic and takes to coaching well and has zero off the field issues.

With Bryant, I would give a 5 year $75 mil. contract with probably a third of it guaranteed (at least $25 mil.)

The production upside is greater with Bryant but the guaranteed money and longevity of contract would be lesser due to his potential for off the field issues, though the average per year will be higher. This is probably realistic given market conditions, IMO.

I pay Dez without hesitation.  He's arguably the best receiver in the game, and definitely top 5.  As for Thomas, I can't help but feel he has inflated numbers from playing with Peyton.

That's what makes it so hard......the dropoff for Eric Decker when he went to the Jets was significant.

Demariyus will be top tier with Peyton but you might want to franchise him at $12. 3 and then see what Peyton does in 2016.

Dez is the better pure receiver but he's a bigger off field risk and how long does Romo have. Will Dez' numbers drop with the

next Cowboy QB.

I'd franchise DT for sure. I think he'll still play hard. To be honest, I'd look to deal Dez

That's what makes it so hard......the dropoff for Eric Decker when he went to the Jets was significant.

Demariyus will be top tier with Peyton but you might want to franchise him at $12. 3 and then see what Peyton does in 2016.

Dez is the better pure receiver but he's a bigger off field risk and how long does Romo have. Will Dez' numbers drop with the

next Cowboy QB.

I'd franchise DT for sure. I think he'll still play hard. To be honest, I'd look to deal Dez

Tough to deal a guy on a franchise tag

next Cowboy QB.

I wouldn't.  I think Dez' off the field issues have been overblown.  Since he got into the league, I don't remember him getting into too much trouble.  There was one incident where he was seen yelling at Romo on the sidelines, and everyone in the media tried to destroy him for being a bad teammate.  Then the version with sound came out and he was encouraging his teammates and trying to get them fired up.

I wouldn't.  I think Dez' off the field issues have been overblown.  Since he got into the league, I don't remember him getting into too much trouble.  There was one incident where he was seen yelling at Romo on the sidelines, and everyone in the media tried to destroy him for being a bad teammate.  Then the version with sound came out and he was encouraging his teammates and trying to get them fired up.

But if he's not going to be happy, what can you do?

To me its obvious that they've both been offered $12.8 per year for multiple years and turned it down.

I would guess they've both been offered around 15 mil a year and turned it down.

I wonder if each is waiting for the other to sign so they can top him. The NFLPA's collusion play is probably a ploy in that game.

Dez wont be happy playing for the tag and an unhappy Dez is a much larger problem than an unhappy DT.

Are you confortable with paying Dez upwards of 15 mil a year for 3 or 4 seasons guaranteed?

But if he's not going to be happy, what can you do?

To me its obvious that they've both been offered $12.8 per year for multiple years and turned it down.

I would guess they've both been offered around 15 mil a year and turned it down.

I wonder if each is waiting for the other to sign so they can top him. The NFLPA's collusion play is probably a ploy in that game.

Dez wont be happy playing for the tag and an unhappy Dez is a much larger problem than an unhappy DT.

Are you confortable with paying Dez upwards of 15 mil a year for 3 or 4 seasons guaranteed?

I don't know all the details of what's been offered, but most players don't like playing under the tag because it's a short term fix.  They want security in the long term.  They want 4+ year deals.  If Dez has been offered $15 mil per year for 4 years and declined it, I don't think he's worth more than that.  But as far as I know, he's only been given the franchise tag, which only lasts a year.  If he blows out his ACL this upcoming year while playing under the tag, he could lose a lot of money in the future.  So I don't think it's a money issue, I think it's a security/length of contract issue.

I agree here. I would give DT a 7 year $90 mil. contract with probably a third of it guaranteed (at least $30 mil.). DT showed enough production with Tebow at QB, so give him a decent QB, he will make it count in the red zone. So I am not worried about post Manning production at all with DT. He has a great work ethic and takes to coaching well and has zero off the field issues.

With Bryant, I would give a 5 year $75 mil. contract with probably a third of it guaranteed (at least $25 mil.)

The production upside is greater with Bryant but the guaranteed money and longevity of contract would be lesser due to his potential for off the field issues, though the average per year will be higher. This is probably realistic given market conditions, IMO.

Close - Cowboys and Dez Bryant sign 5 yr. $70 mil. deal :)

But I was way off on the guaranteed money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501770/article/dez-bryant-cowboys-finalizing-fiveyear-contract

I didn't know that Dez was only 26 and that he'd managed to keep his yap shut about money for an entire 5 year rookie contract. Say what you will about the guy, he never went there like other girly WRs.

He was fuming mad all summer about The Reversal. I don't think you have to worry about that bump in the road ruining him like it has......other girly WRs.

I didn't know that Dez was only 26 and that he'd managed to keep his yap shut about money for an entire 5 year rookie contract. Say what you will about the guy, he never went there like other girly WRs.

He was fuming mad all summer about The Reversal. I don't think you have to worry about that bump in the road ruining him like it has......other girly WRs.

I wouldn't bet 90 dollars on Dez Bryant much less 90 mil.

He could blow at any minute

• 2 weeks later...