Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ben Heenan

Smonroe

Are there any CFL fans who can tell me about him? 

All I know is that he was selected high in the CFL draft and was a very good player there.  How does that game translate to the NFL?  Is he a power blocker, did they run an inside or outside zone blocking scheme, is he a mainly a pass blocker, etc.

I think we're all cementing Herreman in at G and a lot of us are assuming that Mewhort is going to move to RT.  We still don't know if Thomas is ever going to be healthy.

So, it's looking like it's Heenan, Thornton, Louis, and maybe Reitz competing for the starting job.

Dang, I can't wait for camp.  This is the worst time of the year for sports IMHO.

"the Dog days of Summer"  Hockey and Basketball end and all we have is baseball which is so watered down its hard to watch these days.  Training camp is about a month away so hold tight 

You're right.  I can't sit through more than one inning on TV.  Love going to games, especially the minors, but the game is nearly unwatchable on TV.

It's funny when a backup G is more interesting than a major league sport.

Are there any CFL fans who can tell me about him? 

All I know is that he was selected high in the CFL draft and was a very good player there.  How does that game translate to the NFL?  Is he a power blocker, did they run an inside or outside zone blocking scheme, is he a mainly a pass blocker, etc.

I think we're all cementing Herreman in at G and a lot of us are assuming that Mewhort is going to move to RT.  We still don't know if Thomas is ever going to be healthy.

So, it's looking like it's Heenan, Thornton, Louis, and maybe Reitz competing for the starting job.

Dang, I can't wait for camp.  This is the worst time of the year for sports IMHO.

I'm not a CFL fan but when the Colts signed him someone posted some videos of games (not just highlight reels but entire games) and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was not impressed overall:

The Good.

• He seemed to have good lower body agility and active feet.
  • Quick off the snap
  • Kept his head on a swivel when part of a double team.

The Not so good(items that are weaknesses but could improve with coaching):

• Not a very strong upper body
  • Once engaged his base would get too narrow and he could not turn the defender
  • Quick hand punch but not a lot of force behind it.

The Really bad

• He holds a lot..I don't mean once in a while it was the majority of the pass plays and probably slightly less than half the running plays, he held his guy.  And it wasn't even like it was a sneaky hold they were blatant and not called.  He will not get a away with that in the NFL.
  • He showed no ability to recover once beaten.  He would either try to hold the guy or just stand and watch his defender blow things up in the backfield.

I remember thinking after watching the videos posted that I wondered why the Colts even wasted time and resources signing this guy.

I'm not a CFL fan but when the Colts signed him someone posted some videos of games (not just highlight reels but entire games) and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was not impressed overall:

The Good.

• Quick off the snap

The Really bad

• He holds a lot..I don't mean once in a while it was the majority of the pass plays and probably slightly less than half the running plays, he held his guy.  And it wasn't even like it was a sneaky hold they were blatant and not called.  He will not get a away with that in the NFL.
  • He showed no ability to recover once beaten.  He would either try to hold the guy or just stand and watch his defender blow things up in the backfield.

I remember thinking after watching the videos posted that I wondered why the Colts even wasted time and resources signing this guy.

The Good.

• Quick off the snap

The Really bad

Hopping your wrong he must have something going on worthwhile!

"the Dog days of Summer"  Hockey and Basketball end and all we have is baseball which is so watered down its hard to watch these days.  Training camp is about a month away so hold tight 

No soccer fans? The Women's World Cup just finished now the men's team is playing in the Gold Cup. Plus you have the MLS going much more entertaining than baseball.

I am a fan of the game but I do realize it isn't popular nationwide. I thought it might have some legs in Indiana as IU is one of the best programs in the country 8 national championships.  Since the program began in 1973, Indiana owns more wins, has appeared in more College Cups (18) and has a higher winning percentage in both regular season and post-season play than any other school in Division I soccer.

The Irish are also a very strong program winning a single cup in 2013 but made at least the sweet 16 in 6 of the last 9 years.

He's a CFL free agent. I know as well as anyone that good players come out of the CFL all the time, but more often than not, CFL prospects do nothing in the NFL. Projecting him even to make the final 53 is a stretch; talking about him winning a starting spot is fantasy.

I could be totally wrong, and we'll find out more during camp. But I'm not excited even a little bit about him. 

He's a CFL free agent. I know as well as anyone that good players come out of the CFL all the time, but more often than not, CFL prospects do nothing in the NFL. Projecting him even to make the final 53 is a stretch; talking about him winning a starting spot is fantasy.

I could be totally wrong, and we'll find out more during camp. But I'm not excited even a little bit about him. 

I was a little excited, but you and Coffee gave me a dose of reality.  I have to keep in mind that being the best O lineman in the CFL is like being the tallest player on the Munchkin's basketball team. 

Yes, there have been a few that have made an impact, like Freeman.  And I'm not giving up on Muamba.  But we've also had Chick and Giguere, gave them a few seasons to develop, and nothing happened.

I'm really hoping that Thomas can make a comeback and at least provide decent depth.

I was a little excited, but you and Coffee gave me a dose of reality.  I have to keep in mind that being the best O lineman in the CFL is like being the tallest player on the Munchkin's basketball team. 

Yes, there have been a few that have made an impact, like Freeman.  And I'm not giving up on Muamba.  But we've also had Chick and Giguere, gave them a few seasons to develop, and nothing happened.

I'm really hoping that Thomas can make a comeback and at least provide decent depth.

I'm not putting any hope in Thomas, either. We'll see, but if it were up to me, he'd have been released a long time ago. Cherilus, too. Just too risky, IMO.

As for Heenan, I remember watching some of him when we first signed him, and he looked okay, nothing great. That was the Shrine game from a couple years ago, so he was playing against above average American college players. He could be better now, stronger, more refined technically. I don't know. I'm not writing him off, that's for sure. I just don't think it's very likely that he winds up playing a major role for us, especially this year.

No soccer fans? The Women's World Cup just finished now the men's team is playing in the Gold Cup. Plus you have the MLS going much more entertaining than baseball.

I am a fan of the game but I do realize it isn't popular nationwide. I thought it might have some legs in Indiana as IU is one of the best programs in the country 8 national championships.  Since the program began in 1973, Indiana owns more wins, has appeared in more College Cups (18) and has a higher winning percentage in both regular season and post-season play than any other school in Division I soccer.

The Irish are also a very strong program winning a single cup in 2013 but made at least the sweet 16 in 6 of the last 9 years.

In my experience, adult males who are experienced sports fans, just don't change their stripes.  If you haven't followed soccer all of these years, you probably never will.  I think you have to like it or play it when you are young.  I am not a soccer fan, but I am a track fan.  I ran track throughout school and I still love it today even though I am old and out of shape.  It is very similar to soccer in that it is very popular around the world and at Olympic or Cup time, but on an everyday basis, not so much.  

He was a decent prospect from a solid unit in the CFL. Not the best player on the line, but they miss him this year, that's for sure. Not sure if he will make the 53 but he needs more practice run blocking, as the big difference from CFL to NFL is the pass to run ratio (with only 3 downs it gets tough to get a run game going). Not saying he will be an all pro, but given some time I think he could be a solid backup / borderline starter for us. The big obstacle right now is him actually showing enough potential to make the final 53 or at least the ps.

In my experience, adult males who are experienced sports fans, just don't change their stripes. If you haven't followed soccer all of these years, you probably never will. I think you have to like it or play it when you are young. I am not a soccer fan, but I am a track fan. I ran track throughout school and I still love it today even though I am old and out of shape. It is very similar to soccer in that it is very popular around the world and at Olympic or Cup time, but on an everyday basis, not so much.

I left INDIANA after high school wasn't sure of the popularity of soccer. Typically a dominating team makes sports more interesting IU dominates in soccer. My kid plays that's why I started watching love it now.

I'm a huge soccer fan and agree :-).  The beatdown on Japan was so worth from the upset from 4 years ago! The US Men should win this Cup but with the overachieving of double sweeping the Netherlands and Germany I feel like they may underachieve...  On a brighter note I went to see the Honduras and US game the other night and it was AWESOME!!!

But even then I can't wait till the Gold Cup ends and the MLS teams get the US and Panamanian stars back.  Sounders/Toronto/Galaxy games just aren't as exciting without some US talent on the field :).

Didn't know that about IU interesting!  Texas is starting to gain some momentum but all club related not School...

I'm a huge soccer fan and agree :-).  The beatdown on Japan was so worth from the upset from 4 years ago! The US Men should win this Cup but with the overachieving of double sweeping the Netherlands and Germany I feel like they may underachieve...  On a brighter note I went to see the Honduras and US game the other night and it was AWESOME!!!

But even then I can't wait till the Gold Cup ends and the MLS teams get the US and Panamanian stars back.  Sounders/Toronto/Galaxy games just aren't as exciting without some US talent on the field :).

Didn't know that about IU interesting!  Texas is starting to gain some momentum but all club related not School...

I am a Timbers fan. We didn't lose much to the Gold Cup. We may lose Nagbe as soon as he get's his US citizenship. MLS does suffer a little bit without the Gold Cuppers. When we played San Jose they didn't have Wondo. They sat back defensively and just tried to bully us to steal a point. Their only attack were long ball counters.  Thankfully Jewsberry snuck one in during extra time. We had them like 15-2 shots in the second half. It changes what some teams are capable of doing. San Jose especially because they are so dependent on Wondo for their goals.

What part of the world are you in? If you are close to Portland I would recommend checking out the Timbers. That is one of the best MLS venue's IMO. Rowdy bunch.

I agree with the Gold Cup....three horse race IMO Costa Rica Mexico and the good ole USA. We have been very impressive in the friendly's across the pond with historic wins. I think it carries over to the Gold Cup. Our group is a cake walk. I think we take it.

I like what Klinsmann is doing with the national team. I am anxious for the next World Cup. I think the men's team is finally getting the talent to compete consistently with the top dogs. Our next friendly is vs Peru. That should not be much of a challenge. It in DC so on home soil to boot.

I am a Timbers fan. We didn't lose much to the Gold Cup. We may lose Nagbe as soon as he get's his US citizenship. MLS does suffer a little bit without the Gold Cuppers. When we played San Jose they didn't have Wondo. They sat back defensively and just tried to bully us to steal a point. Their only attack were long ball counters.  Thankfully Jewsberry snuck one in during extra time. We had them like 15-2 shots in the second half. It changes what some teams are capable of doing. San Jose especially because they are so dependent on Wondo for their goals.

What part of the world are you in? If you are close to Portland I would recommend checking out the Timbers. That is one of the best MLS venue's IMO. Rowdy bunch.

I agree with the Gold Cup....three horse race IMO Costa Rica Mexico and the good ole USA. We have been very impressive in the friendly's across the pond with historic wins. I think it carries over to the Gold Cup. Our group is a cake walk. I think we take it.

I like what Klinsmann is doing with the national team. I am anxious for the next World Cup. I think the men's team is finally getting the talent to compete consistently with the top dogs. Our next friendly is vs Peru. That should not be much of a challenge. It in DC so on home soil to boot.

Not to much of a follower of the Timbers :-), but I did see the game against the Quakes and you could tell Wondo was missed.

In TX :) FC Dallas with Perez and Castillo is what I see.  Not to much of a Dynamo fan but I was obsessed with FC Dallas when Shea was here.  

I too like Klinsmann's approach but if we play anymore diamond we need a more possession oriented squad.  If we go Yedlin/Shea as wings I feel like we can have a world class stretch attack with Duece and Jozy up front.  I too can't wait for the next WC the talent level is definitely there we just need better chem with the 2 up front.  The midfield looks to be one of our strongest units going forward which is something I don't think we have ever said about the USMNT!