Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts make Roster Moves

TKnight24

Look, nothing personal. But I can tell you from experience that this is a far less than perfect process. If you take your fan hat off for a minute and go see what really goes on at OTA you will see what I am saying. I am just standing up for all these guys as they are treated and talked about as if they don't matter when in fact they never really had a chance to matter. This is league wide, not just here. These guys are getting paid less than minimum wage to hang around for an opportunity that doesn't exist. At leat acknowledge their plight. I just know statistically what a long shot it is for any UDFA to make a roster or become a starter. The idea that this process is even remotely easy or fair is ludicrous. Media makes it sound like it's common place. I personally see lots of guys on the roster that could be replaced with better players, drafted or not. To pick on a few lowley receivers and make them seem irrelevent or expendable is just mean spirited.

Less than minimum wage?

We once signed a D3 player, who never played in the NFL. I thought "camp fodder". Turned out, he's our starting inside LB.

Look, nothing personal. But I can tell you from experience that this is a far less than perfect process. If you take your fan hat off for a minute and go see what really goes on at OTA you will see what I am saying. I am just standing up for all these guys as they are treated and talked about as if they don't matter when in fact they never really had a chance to matter. This is league wide, not just here. These guys are getting paid less than minimum wage to hang around for an opportunity that doesn't exist. At leat acknowledge their plight. I just know statistically what a long shot it is for any UDFA to make a roster or become a starter. The idea that this process is even remotely easy or fair is ludicrous. Media makes it sound like it's common place. I personally see lots of guys on the roster that could be replaced with better players, drafted or not. To pick on a few lowley receivers and make them seem irrelevent or expendable is just mean spirited.  

From your experience? Just how much experience have you going through the process of being on an NFL roster? These guys are glad to show themselves off hoping someone will notice and you think it's mean spirited? There are walk on players and players who were never drafted in the NFL right now. They are drawing a pay check for their time so it is not a waste of time to them. Teams bring in 90 players who want to make a 53 mans roster or a 10 player practice squad. There are players signed quite often from practice squads of other teams. So it's nothing personal when I tell you that you really don't have a clue.

Man I don't even know where to begin, Less the minimum wage? ya must be living in an alternate reality or be on some realllllll strong stuff, All kinds of people who actually do jobs that matter for a living at the end of the day(People wont start dying off, banks wont close, the entire US wont shutdown if there was no football....Who knew)  wish they could get paid what athletes make

To the entire lot of your posts in this thread I say Dear God...

Man I don't even know where to begin, Less the minimum wage? ya must be living in an alternate reality or be on some realllllll strong stuff, All kinds of people who actually do jobs that matter for a living at the end of the day(People wont start dying off, banks wont close, the entire US wont shutdown if there was no football....Who knew)  wish they could get paid what athletes make

Rookies get room and board, paid travel and meal allowances during OTAs and minicamps, and a per diem of $195 for each day of workouts they attend. More than minimum wage for the actual time spent working, but not a lot of money. During training camp, rookies get a per diem of $1,000. Plus room and board and meal allowances. Many of them don't get a signing bonus, and a lot of the guys who do get a signing bonus only get a few thousand. They really aren't making anything before the season starts, especially before training camp.

Of course, what that guy is talking about is out of this world. 

I understand your point of view. Really, I do. I'm sure you, in all probability, do statistically know what a long shot it is for a UDFA to make the roster or even become a starter. But, my question to you is ... Don't you think they understand this as well? It's not like they're being put out there by force. It's their decision to do it or not. Right? So, in order to be fair about this, that consideration has to be met by the players first and foremost doesn't it? Whatever comes to fruition after that, favorable or not, has to be expected from anyone making this kind of a decision. It's only a remote shot, to say the least, for most. That fact cannot be whisked away just because they show up and end standing all day long. All teams make moves for a reason. Whatever the reason. So, to be gladed into faulty intentions by way of blame from anyone regarding irrelevancy, expendability, or mean-spiritedness is not only a lop-sided view of the truth, it allows and releases all players from responsibility by their own actions.

Crazy how we waste people's time. Clearly the kid has no hope of ever making the team. Why bother bringing him in to stand around and do nothig. Not like he will get any reps to show his ability or a chance to compete for a spot. Camp body is one thing but camp nobody and camp no opportunity are a completely different matter. Can you say "logic completely fails me here"! 

yeah god forbid if we lose a WR or two for the year before the start of the season lol.  (knock on wood that it dont happen)

Thanks for your enlightenment. What does the fat guy behind the keyboard comment have to do with anything? Maybe "prophet like", hairy, malnourished, twitch in left eye, unshaven, with "Why don't we do it in the road" playing in the background.....but never *fat. 

*(no fat people were harmed during the drafting of this post)

LOL!  And another +1 on the Beatles reference-

For those with more morals, the more 'Socially Responsible" version  (1:02 mark notably) -

Crazy how we waste people's time. Clearly the kid has no hope of ever making the team. Why bother bringing him in to stand around and do nothig. Not like he will get any reps to show his ability or a chance to compete for a spot. Camp body is one thing but camp nobody and camp no opportunity are a completely different matter. Can you say "logic completely fails me here"! 

He runs 4.35

From your experience? Just how much experience have you going through the process of being on an NFL roster? These guys are glad to show themselves off hoping someone will notice and you think it's mean spirited? There are walk on players and players who were never drafted in the NFL right now. They are drawing a pay check for their time so it is not a waste of time to them. Teams bring in 90 players who want to make a 53 mans roster or a 10 player practice squad. There are players signed quite often from practice squads of other teams. So it's nothing personal when I tell you that you really don't have a clue.

No matter what you say he's going to respond by saying you have your Fan Hat on.  Doesn't matter if you're totally logical

Fans tend to live in dreamland that is artificially created by media and marketing. And that is ok if all you are looking for is a fantasy escape. If you want to know what is really going on you have to go and have a look for your self. Otherwise logic will be all over the map.

Actually, Rutenbeck might be an upgrade on Ruffin and Bray for the PS.

He is 6'1.5"/186#, ran 4.45 avg/4.35 low, broad jump 10'3", vertical 38"

compared to Ruffin 5'11.5"/218#, 4.65 avg/4.55 low, broad 8'10", vertical 30.5";

and Bray 5'10'/183#, 4.50 avg/440 low, broad 9'8", vertical 34".

...interesting....

Fans tend to live in dreamland that is artificially created by media and marketing. And that is ok if all you are looking for is a fantasy escape. If you want to know what is really going on you have to go and have a look for your self. Otherwise logic will be all over the map.

I have been tested for my God given skills and mine is the power of discernment (true story).  You know what that means? I am able to spot bovine leavings from miles away.  It also means I have the ability to think for myself and with these gifts I am able to determine that you have contributed a bunch of nonsensical thoughts and given your last line - that is funny.

I have been tested for my God given skills and mine is the power of discernment (true story).  You know what that means? I am able to spot bovine leavings from miles away.  It also means I have the ability to think for myself and with these gifts I am able to determine that you have contributed a bunch of nonsensical thoughts and given your last line - that is funny.

Looks, like s..., smells like s..., tastes like s..., good thing you didn't step in it or all that god given talent might go to total waste.