Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has our team gotten better this year?

manningstheman

I very much like the O-line additions and Delone Carter. I think this will free us up with a lot more options in 3rd and shorts which was one of our biggest shortcomings. Huge improvement if it gels. Returning healthy starters helps this as well....Collie up the seam, Clark over the middle, etc. When the offense dictates our game plan comes together. I also like Drake Nevis coming in to help at DT, just need to get him signed. We'll see how the UDFAs turn out, but again, Colt history says at least a couple of them will be successful. Yes, we've improved and we're not done yet.

Yep... We got better. Key draft pickups on the offensive line and defensive line. A bruiser RB for short yardage. And everyone from our team last year is healthier.

Did we win the free agency bonanza? No, but history tells us that free agency pick ups usually don't pan out, and usually put your team in salary cap h@11 for years.

We addressed issues in the draft....OT, DT, DB, and grabbed a solid 3rd down back. Mind you, we're also getting back a lot of guys who were injured last season: Clark, Collie, Bullitt to name a few. Getting back those healthy players is huge. We're no longer playing with a pop warner team. Obviously, there are still issues with the LB corps, KR man, and the recent development at cornerback (Hayden being cut.). Training camp and Free Agency will help those situations. I feel our team hasn't gotten better, or worse. I feel we are even. We still have key players (Addai, Manning, Wayne, Freeney, Clark, Mathis, Bethea, and Vinateri) and it's all a matter of tightening up certain aspects of the offense, defense and special teams as a whole. I think if the Colts improve their run game, run defense, pass coverage and develop solid special teams, that will make us a better team. We're still troubled in those areas, and correcting them will ensure the Colts a winning season.

Definately haven't gotten better, unfortunately. We need some serious help and depth on defense so there won't be a repeat on last season. Even with all of the injuries the offense still scored 27 points per game. Our defense before the injuries was still getting run all over.

Definately haven't gotten better, unfortunately. We need some serious help and depth on defense so there won't be a repeat on last season. Even with all of the injuries the offense still scored 27 points per game. Our defense before the injuries was still getting run all over.

How can you ignore the improvements of the O-line? So far, the only player of substance that we lost was Hayden. Even with the loss of Hayden and no big time FA acquisitions on D, I can't say we're worse off than last year.

Short answer: YES, we improved.

Offensively, with the additions of 2 big o-lineman, I think they have gotten better.

Defensively, In my opinion, I think we maybe a little worse. I don't buy into the injury excuse because even at the beginning of the season last yr. the D was awful. I also do not think most of the problems are really about who is playing the posistions, its more about how they play the posistions. Basically, I hate our defensive scheme. The 15 yd. cushions by our CB's is a joke and really needs to stop.

Hidden

yes..but only a lil..just getting costanzo was a miracle..this guy looked the best in the combine..i know i know its the combine but u can tell alot..looks very fluid

every1 w all the "we gotten healthy" talk seems like a cop out 2 me..there will be injuries and if your getting better u need to add more depth than we have to replace guys when they get injured

i would say its a wash..the draft was great to us but it always seems great before we get to see the guys play..if we fix our DT and CB problems then yes we will b much better..we also need LB depth

Hidden

One of these years can we get a dt that has pro bowl potential in the draft, i don't care if we trade 3 or 4 picks in the draft to move up to get one. I would also like a good kick returner. That's what would really improve this team.

i wanted devin hester sooo bad in the draft n i still tell "i told u so" 2 all my friends

..they agree

we don't know

it just depends on how well our rookies and second year players develop, just like any other year

if a couple guys surprise us and become real playmakers, we have as good a shot at a title as anyone

agreed.....

you can't say the O-Line has improved due to drafting a couple of rookies.....you'll need to see how the develop and preform during the season before you can say if they are a better unit.

no we've lost our best safety (Bob Sanders), our best cornerback (Kelvin Hayden), our best linebacker (Clint Session), and now Dan Muir. Our defense is going to blow if we dont pick anyone up

Bob hasn't been our best safety in years. Bethea owns that distinction.

Ditto for Kelvin. Powers was our best CB last year.

Dan was serviceable, at best. No big loss, and I'm betting Nevis will outplay him this year.

Session is good, but we did fine without him last year.

To me it seems the offense has had some potential very strong upgrades (Carter, Castanzo, Iljalana, Spann, some others) while the defense seems so far to have downgraded (IE the lose of Hayden and Session). Perhaps drake Nevis and our new safety, J.L have alot of potential.

i don't understand why fixing our run defense wasn't a bigger priority? Don't know if Nevis will even help in that area, just another undersized dt. Our run D and finding a kick and punt returner and now CB.

Nevis isn't undersized. He's about the same size as Warren Sapp.

Guest BlueShoe

I have been looking at other teams and some seem to have gotten better. I am not saying we are not studs still, but did we get any better then from last year?

Unless we count on the injured playing again full time this year, But besides that I am not sure we have.

We had a great draft. Our offensive line is in great shape and our backs will be very good.

Losing Hayden and Session stings a bit but we can overcome it. How fast Drake Nevis comes around (probably later in the year) and Mathis holding out will be two huge variables. I like our young linebackers with Brackett as the veteran. I think our secondary is average but has potential. Hughes getting arrested isn't helping us much. Mathis wants to get paid and we all get that, however it may not be possible so we could be really weak on the defensive line at the beginning of the season.

I love that we picked up Jake Kirkpatrick as an undrafted free agent. I thought he was one of the best centers in the entire draft and he could be that Saturday replacement we have been looking for.

What we did great this offseason is we woke up the offense again. Not that it was asleep but it has been less than what it's capable of with Manning and company at ball positions. By beefing up the line and adding the athleticism we needed we are a much better football team than a year ago. Now instead of only having 2 seconds to get the ball off, Peyton will have more time and we should be able to run more effective as well. This will give us more balance and bring the safeties up in the box a little more opening up the passing game. Last year we were playing mostly just 10 yards out. This year we should be able to develop plays 25 yards down the field. We should see our play action game come back to life.

If the defense can step up and be a top 10-15 defense then we will have ourselves a great football team.

I have been looking at other teams and some seem to have gotten better. I am not saying we are not studs still, but did we get any better then from last year?

Unless we count on the injured playing again full time this year, But besides that I am not sure we have.

On paper, some teams have added big names, and/or depth. This doesn't mean they are better.

On paper, some teams have lost big names, and/or depth. This doesn't mean they are worse.

We won't know anything until the games have been played.

We are healthy this year. That alone makes us so much better than last year. Also, people are forgetting that everyone was giving us a draft grade of an A while the rest of our division was getting nonsense and Cs. that is why the rest of the league must dip into the uncertainty of free agency, because they did not improve through the draft like the Colts did. YES we got better!

offensively yes, Defensively im still not too sure..I like the addition of Nevis but other than that what changes have we really made. No more Muir which is good. So we are counting on AJ (who i like but is never healthy) and a quote on quote improving Moala...Not to sure about that :sleep:

no we've lost our best safety (Bob Sanders), our best cornerback (Kelvin Hayden), our best linebacker (Clint Session), and now Dan Muir. Our defense is going to blow if we dont pick anyone up

I agree. We should not have gotten rid of Clint nor Muir and we are going to feel it. Hayden and Sanders did not see much playing time because of injuries and I am not sure if they will be missed. I like Kelvin H but I am not sure.

We are going to miss Clint and Dan. I do not think that was smart from our organization but we will see. I would have loved to pick-up a quarterback. If Peyton is not ready when the season starts we are in "big trouble mister". But I am ready for the season to start. GO COLTS.

In my honest opinion, I think we've gotten worse. Rookies are well rookies, we don't know what they're going to do and how well they're going to perform. So, you can't assume that Castonzo is out next Tarik Glenn, thats just foolish. But other that "maybe" fixing part of our offensive line, we haven't done anything to help. We released Kelvin Hayden and didn't resign Clint Session. Now we have a glaring hole at CB and OLB. And no, Angerer isn't the answer. SS is still iffy, Bullitt is solid, but not great. And we still have a weakness at DT. Our current team is no better than last years and honestly I think its worse.

Management really sucked it up this year and didn't do jack. Awesome.

Excellent question, one I think a team should ask itself every July/August, and I think the answer is "no" for now. That could change, with development from young players and some bouncing back from guys who were injured, but I think loosing Session and CJ are big, and we still have issues at defensive tackle, guard and safety. Nothing earth-shattering, but I wouldn't grade our team higher now than I would have at the beginning of last season.