Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it me or does ty hilton...

bap1331

Look like a slot receiver? I honestly didnt take him seriously when I saw his highlights after the draft. But I did see his amazing talent. I was like, "oh! Maybe he can play on the inside or something." hes 5'9! But his speed is what makes up for it.

What were your thoughts?

I certainly thought he'd be a slot receiver. He has the "look" of one, but what I didn't expect and I think a lot of analysts didn't expect was that T.Y. is a great route runner. Combine that with his speed and then you realize he's not just a role player, he's the real deal.

I don't understand the argument that Hilton "can not be a true number 1 receiver because he is too small."

Hilton produced like a top 10 WR last year, and has been more productive in each of his three professional seasons. No one says that PIT's Antonio Brown is not a "true no. 1"...and he is almost the same size as Hilton, and even came from the same background.

To me a "number 1" receiver is not defined by size/speed/height. A number 1 WR is a guy that can run all the routes. A number 1 WR is somebody who can still be successful when he is the focal point of the defense. Despite double teams and scheming to take Hilton, TY has still been very successful in our offense.

A lot of that is a result of Hilton's incredible work ethic, and absolute desire to improve his game at every opportunity. Those are the guys that succeed in the NFL, not the 6'5, 230 lb guys that come into the league figuring they "already made it".

Look like a slot receiver? I honestly didnt take him seriously when I saw his highlights after the draft. But I did see his amazing talent. I was like, "oh! Maybe he can play on the inside or something." hes 5'9! But his speed is what makes up for it.

What were your thoughts?

It's just you!

lol JK He's a number 1 WR, but realistically he is probably best in the middle, IMO anyway.  I would like the Colts to stretch the field with Carter Johnson and Moncrief on the outside.  The TE's working the middle of the field.  Plus having a LB on TY, would give him a career day.  Defense's wouldn't be able to do it.  They would have matchup problems, and somebody would be open.

I can't wait until we send TY, Johnson, and Moncrief deep. The opposing secondary is gonna crap their shorts. 

If somehow they manage to cover all them (unlikely) then throw to Gore out of the backfield.

Sit back and profit. 

I agree add in our TE's also and we have the most potent offensive weapons in the league. Luck should have a monster season!

What were your thoughts?

Hey does Desean Jackson look like a slot receiver? yes. Does he play like a #1 receiver absolutely. His size doesnt limit his playing ability. he plays big in stature. 

I personally feel that he fits well at any position on the WR corps. He has the build of a slot receiver and with him coming out of college that is all I expected him to be. I have come to realize though that his speed allows him to play X,Y, or Z receiver in our system. He has the blazing speed on the outside to be a legitimate threat wherever he lines up. The only thing that holds him back is he needs to find better ways of getting off press coverage and jams at the line of scrimmage. I do think he is going to have a monster year this year IMO.