Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clemson's Vic Beasley drops on ESPN's Scouts Inc....

About 10 days ago, he was ranked 23rd overall.     Honestly,  I thought that was low.

Today,  while looking for changes in their rankings,  my eyes popped when I saw that Beasley is now ranked......  41st.

I'm not sure what happened for such a sharp fall.     I did a search and nothing that might explain.

Anyone see anything anywhere that would give a reason for this?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Just askin......

About 10 days ago, he was ranked 23rd overall.     Honestly,  I thought that was low.

Today,  while looking for changes in their rankings,  my eyes popped when I saw that Beasley is now ranked......  41st.

I'm not sure what happened for such a sharp fall.     I did a search and nothing that might explain.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Just askin......

A lot of mocks I've seen have him going top 5, most notably to the Jacksonville Jaguars at 3. He's a blue chip prospect in my opinion as well. Those guys are way off base at 41, don't pay them any attention. He won't get past the Redskins.

Once he showed up at the combine at 246 and still tested like a premium athlete, he was in my top-16.

One reason why I like Scouts Inc. is because it's a 3-man team and not just one person.

But something happened to make these guys change their view so sharply....    just seems strange and not like them.

Once he showed up at the combine at 246 and still tested like a premium athlete, he was in my top-16.

One reason why I like Scouts Inc. is because it's a 3-man team and not just one person.

But something happened to make these guys change their view so sharply....    just seems strange and not like them.

Something is whack...  in the details section, there are 4 overall traits and 5 OLB traits with specifics. In comparison to Eli Harold. Beasly wins 3 of 4, and tied on the 4th in overall.  But in the OLB section, Beasley is behind Harold in 3 or the 5 categories, and tied on one.  Eli Harold is ranked 33, Beasley 41.

Only Randy Gregory (#11) and Shane Ray (#16) have round 1 grades from Scouts Inc.  Dupree, Harold, Kikaha, and Beasley the only (early to middle) round two OLB.

I don't know if this has any impact, since I believe he easily goes first round, but the one knock I have heard about him is his weight, and will he be able to maintain it and take the beating. I think he played at a much lower weight in college, and when he came to the combine, he was 246 lbs. and then people worried it was too much. I don't understand the fascination with numbers at times. Look at the tape!

He will go top ten!

Geez, 23 was ridiculous in the first place

OK, here's the List they have through round 1 and 2 and early 3, where we will pick our second round selection.  As you can see, according to this, there's a chance w have to select a second round grade prospect in our first round, and a 3rd round grade player in our second round pick.

Grade board-

Round 1:

1.  Jameis Winston   (97)

2.  Leonard Williams   (96)

3.  Amari Cooper     (93)

4.  Kevin White      (93)

5.  Marcus Mariota   (93)

6.  Brandon Scherff  (93)

7.  Donte Fowler     (92)

8.  DeVante Parker   (92)

9.  Arik Armstead    (91)

10. Todd Gurley      (91)

11. Randy Gregory    (91)

12. Andrus Peat      (91)

13. Trae Waynes      (91)

14. Danny Shelton    (91)

15. Malcom Brown     (91)

16. Shane Ray        (90)

17. Cameron Erving   (90)

18. Ereck Flowers    (90)

19. La'el Collins    (90)

20. Breshad Perriman (90)

21. Landon Collins   (90)

22. Marcus Peters    (90)

Round 2:

23. Eddie Goldman    (89)

24. Melvin Gordon    (89)

25. D.J. Humphries   (89)

26. Kevin Johnson    (89)

27. Eric Kendricks   (89)

28. Jaelen Strong    (89)

29. T.J. Clemmings   (88)

30. Nelson Agholor   (88)

31. Cedric Ogbuehi   (88)

32. Bud Dupree       (88)

33. Eli Harold       (88)

34. Byron Jones      (88)

35. Devin Smith      (88)

36. Hau'Oli Kikaha   (87)

37. Ameer Abdullah   (87)

38. Mike Bennett     (87)

39. Phillip Doesett  (87)

40. Jalen Collins    (87)

41. Vic Beasley      (86)

42. Dorial Green-Beckham  (86)

43. Denzel Perryman  (86)

44. Jordan Phillips  (85)

45. Preston Smith    (86)

46. Jake Fisher      (85)

47. Devin Funchess   (85)

48. Jay Ajayi        (85)

49. Maxx Williams    (85)

50. Carl Davis       (84)

51. Stephone Anthony (83)

52. Owamagbe Odighizuwa (83)

53. Grady Jarret     (83)

54. P.J. Williams    (82)

55. Eric Rowe        (81)

56. Ronald Darby     (80)

57. Tyler Lockett    (80)

58. Clive Walford    (80)

59. Laken Tomlinson  (80)

60. Benardrick McKinney (80)

** 68? Trey Flowers     (80)

Round 3 grade:

61. P.J. Dawson      (79)

62. Mario Edwards Jr. (79)

63. T.J. Yeldon      (79)

29 others listed for round 3...  Bryce Petty (71) only round 3 QB.  Grayson (69) Mannion (65) and Hundley (63) are round 4 QB's, no round 5 QB's.  Shane Carden (42) is listed a round 6 QB, while Bryan Bennet (36), Connor Holiday (35), and Brandon Bridge (32) round out the round 7 QB's.ranked.

A lot of mocks I've seen have him going top 5, most notably to the Jacksonville Jaguars at 3. He's a blue chip prospect in my opinion as well. Those guys are way off base at 41, don't pay them any attention. He won't get past the Redskins.

They have Gregory, Ray, Dupree, Harold, and Kikaha ahead of Beasley at OLB.  (leaving out BPA from other positions- full 2 round list above)

Curious to know where you place those other OLB's....

OK, here's the List they have through round 1 and 2 and early 3, where we will pick our second round selection.  As you can see, according to this, there's a chance w have to select a second round grade prospect in our first round, and a 3rd round grade player in our second round pick.

Grade board-

Round 1:

2.  Leonard Williams    (96)

Round 2:

Round 3 grade:

29 others listed for round 3...  Bryce Petty (71) only round 3 QB.  Grayson (69) Mannion (65) and Hundley (63) are round 4 QB's, no round 5 QB's.  Shane Carden (42) is listed a round 6 QB, while Bryan Bennet (36), Connor Holiday (35), and Brandon Bridge (32) round out the round 7 QB's.ranked.

68... I am assuming is supposed to be Tre' Jackson from Florida State - OG.

68... I am assuming is supposed to be Tre' Jackson from Florida State - OG.

Good call, but Tre is actually listed next on the list at #64 with a grade of 78.  Trey Flowers is the Arkansas DE with a grade of 80, but listed as #68???  It was an error I found on their site.

Good call, but Tre is actually listed next on the list at #64 with a grade of 78.  Trey Flowers is the Arkansas DE with a grade of 80, but listed as #68???  It was an error I found on their site.

Of course, had the list went to 64 I would have seen that haha

That's weird that Flowers got rated like that though..

They have Gregory, Ray, Dupree, Harold, and Kikaha ahead of Beasley at OLB.  (leaving out BPA from other positions- full 2 round list above)

Curious to know where you place those other OLB's....

I have it Beasley, Ray, Dupree, Gregory, Harold, Kikaha in that order.

Grade board-

Round 1:

So, per Scouts Inc, 10 players not worthy of the first round will go in the first round. I hope people pay attention to these details before they start screaming about their team taking a guy too early. 

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Just askin......

ESPN has continually gotten worse over the years with ranking NFL draft prospects. 

I saw this too, and was scratching my head as well. It is amazing that they want people to actually pay for the information.

CBS is free and has a much better track record. Although, I do not buy completely into the CBS rankings, at least a top 10-15 player isn't left out of the first round. 

Unless something crazy happens, Vic Beasley probably will not make it past Atlanta. 

I could understand if ESPN dropped Randy Gregory due to his off the field issue, and I can see him falling in this draft, but not Beasley.

ESPN has continually gotten worse over the years with ranking NFL draft prospects. 

I saw this too, and was scratching my head as well. It is amazing that they want people to actually pay for the information.

CBS is free and has a much better track record. Although, I do not buy completely into the CBS rankings, at least a top 10-15 player isn't left out of the first round. 

Unless something crazy happens, Vic Beasley probably will not make it past Atlanta. 

I could understand if ESPN dropped Randy Gregory due to his off the field issue, and I can see him falling in this draft, but not Beasley.

If free is the issue,  I'd strongly recommend NFL.com.....   it's completely free and I think much, much better and accurate than CBS.

For me,  CBS is the outlier.    The ratings that I trust the least.    They've gotten a little better the last few years,  but I'm still very skeptical.

I see no drop off of quality from ESPN.     If you accept that everyone sees the same thing differently and that the 32 Big Boards for all the NFL teams look entirely different from each other,  than I think it's OK to have some degree of difference.

I view this Beasley issue as an anomaly....    Other websites have more of these in my opinion, especially CBS Sports.    I think this is noticeable for ESPN because they're the most high profile and have the most eyeballs looking at them.   Things like that tend to jump out on an ESPN site...

Just a different perspective....

So, per Scouts Inc, 10 players not worthy of the first round will go in the first round. I hope people pay attention to these details before they start screaming about their team taking a guy too early. 

And 4 (or 3?) short of filling out round two with Prospects that grade as round two level, so 3 or 4 Round 3 grade players will go in round two.

Still baffled on Beasley falling from 23 (bottom of Scouts Inc. round 1?) to 41 though...

On his weekly show with Kiper, he never spoke that highly of him.

This may very true, but I can hardly see Steve Muench or Kevin Weidl agreeing with McShay to allow Beasely to drop like that unless there is some There there...

NCF is on to something here, IMO. 

An No teams board is going to change from here on out unless a major incident happens during the time from now until Daft day.  Teams off season programs have begun and coaches have turned their attention to those other things team related.

Note of interest: Beasley now ranked at #40 on Scouts Inc.

They have his breakdown as him being exceptional in most areas.  However, average in one (tackling) and below average in another (Take-On skills)

Here's the scoop-

"Tackling - Very good short-area closing burst and flashes ability to deliver big hit, especially when rushing the passer. Shows ability to make tough pull-down tackle in pursuit. But slips off a few too many ball-carriers. Wraps high and leaves feet instead of driving through contact."  rated Average.

"Take-On Skills - Has a strong upper body and can stack blockers initially. Has good initial pop, but narrow lower body and struggles to anchor when OL locks on. Gets engulfed and blown back when he doesn't win with quickness and gets caught flat-footed. Usually able to anchor at point of attack versus TEs, who he will be facing far more frequently in NFL."  rated Below Average

Everything else is rated Above Average or Exceptional. Still mystifying to me...

If free is the issue,  I'd strongly recommend NFL.com.....   it's completely free and I think much, much better and accurate than CBS.

For me,  CBS is the outlier.    The ratings that I trust the least.    They've gotten a little better the last few years,  but I'm still very skeptical.

I see no drop off of quality from ESPN.     If you accept that everyone sees the same thing differently and that the 32 Big Boards for all the NFL teams look entirely different from each other,  than I think it's OK to have some degree of difference.

I view this Beasley issue as an anomaly....    Other websites have more of these in my opinion, especially CBS Sports.    I think this is noticeable for ESPN because they're the most high profile and have the most eyeballs looking at them.   Things like that tend to jump out on an ESPN site...

I use NFL.com all of the time. They are better than any free draft site, and probably better than any paid site too.

LOL, Mel Kiper got wind of Todd McShays Beasley ranking - 

Frank Caliendo as  "Mel Kiper"    LOL!!!

Grade board-

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3 grade:

Armstead at 9 and Beasley at 41? The ESPN guys must be off their rockers. If Beasly is still on the board at 10 I would be surprised. He's going to be a monster.

Armstead at 9 and Beasley at 41? The ESPN guys must be off their rockers. If Beasly is still on the board at 10 I would be surprised. He's going to be a monster.

To be honest, not all scouts (besides the McShay, Muench, Weidl combo for ESPN) think Beasley is the top Edge prospect.  Mike Mayock has him Behind Dante Fowler and Randy Gregory.  Daniel Jeremiah has him behind  Fowler and Gregory as well.  But Bucky Brooks has him listed at #4 overall.

Concerns?  That Dante Fowler is much better on 1st and 2nd down than Beasley.  And what good is Beasley's pass rush explosion on 2nd and 2 after getting mauled in the run game the prior down? (see scouts in review of Take-on skills above, rated below average)  Jeremiah believes Beasley's game is speed and finesse and a lot of the better NFL tackles can neutralize much of it.  OTOH, Bucky Brooks sees DeMarcus Ware 2.0 is Beasley. Turning speed into power.  So Mayock and Jeremiah have Fowler and Gregory above Beasley, and Brooks has Beasley at #4, but also Fowler is at #5.  Beasley is #16 on Daniel Jeremiah's list.  Supposedly Mayock releases his final and full list on NFLN Friday at 8 pm.

So there is discrepancy. By real scouts (and ex scouts). But Beasley at #40?  I wish we had the scoop on what Scouts Inc. thinks they know about Beasley that others do not apparently have...

To be honest, not all scouts (besides the McShay, Muench, Weidl combo for ESPN) think Beasley is the top Edge prospect. Mike Mayock has him Behind Dante Fowler and Randy Gregory. Daniel Jeremiah has him behind Fowler and Gregory as well. But Bucky Brooks has him listed at #4 overall.

Concerns? That Dante Fowler is much better on 1st and 2nd down than Beasley. And what good is Beasley's pass rush explosion on 2nd and 2 after getting mauled in the run game the prior down? (see scouts in review of Take-on skills above, rated below average) Jeremiah believes Beasley's game is speed and finesse and a lot of the better NFL tackles can neutralize much of it. OTOH, Bucky Brooks sees DeMarcus Ware 2.0 is Beasley. Turning speed into power. So Mayock and Jeremiah have Fowler and Gregory above Beasley, and Brooks has Beasley at #4, but also Fowler is at #5. Beasley is #16 on Daniel Jeremiah's list. Supposedly Mayock releases his final and full list on NFLN Friday at 8 pm.

So there is discrepancy. By real scouts (and ex scouts). But Beasley at #40? I wish we had the scoop on what Scouts Inc. thinks they know about Beasley that others do not apparently have...

I hope he does fall. He'd be a perfect rush LB in our defense. He isn't going to fall tho. Jmo

News Flash-  I just got Todd McShays mock draft 5.0.  Even though they (Scouts Inc.) doesn't have Beasley listed high on the list above, McShay does have New Orleans taking Beasley off the board at #13. But like Mayock and Jeremiah, he has Fowler and Gregory off the board before Beasley.  So he must not like Beasley for some reason, but realizes others love him, or the Scouts Inc list was in error....

I hope he does fall. He'd be a perfect rush LB in our defense. He isn't going to fall tho. Jmo

No question. But would he then be a rotational OLB in 3rd down pass situations?  What I'm seeing about the Take-On, anchoring, and tackling skills, maybe he doesn't quite fit the Irsay Stop the Run demand.  And you're right, he's gone by #20, likely much earlier.

No question. But would he then be a rotational OLB in 3rd down pass situations?  What I'm seeing about the Take-On, anchoring, and tackling skills, maybe he doesn't quite fit the Irsay Stop the Run demand.  and you're right, he's gone by #20, likely much earlier.

The point is really moot. He isnt going to fall that far. Rotational player? No, you play him all 3 downs.

The point is really moot. He isnt going to fall that far. Rotational player? No, you play him all 3 downs.

Absolutely, for the Colts it's moot.  But the original premise of this thread was NCF found Beasley was dropped from #23 (already an eyebrow raising placement itself) to #41 on the Scouts Inc prospect grading list.  The speculation is, why? Nothing I can find adds up to him being outside the top 15, let alone at 41 (or last check now at 40).

Absolutely, for the Colts it's moot. But the original premise of this thread was NCF found Beasley was dropped from #23 (already an eyebrow raising placement itself) to #41 on the Scouts Inc prospect grading list. The speculation is, why? Nothing I can find adds up to him being outside the top 15, let alone at 41 (or last check now at 40).

Freeney was a "run liability" but with his speed and first step u had to play him all 3 downs. Beasley will play all 3 downs. Everywhere I look he's in the top 10 or just outside the top 10. I think the concern is that he's undersized and only put on weight for the combine. He still ran 4.5 and looked great with the extra weight. He'll be a difference maker so idk what these other guys r thinking. I'm no expert of course, like they are ha

I was wondering if the drop in Beasley's stock was because of something the Scouts Inc. team has uncovered.  Which would be unusual for non-team scout group. That's typically not the scope of their coverage. I can see a team(s) dropping someone precipitously based upon something the come across. 

IE: Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012.  They had 5th pick. They  loved Blackmon, but were concerned about some minor college incidents, including a DUI. So they had a scout frequent the Crosseyed Cricket bar in Stillwater from 3-11 pm every night the week before the draft to see how often Justin Blackmon frequented the joint (way too often).  After the scout gave his report, Tampa took him off their board and traded the slot to the Jags, who immediately took Blackmon.  But even when you're right, you can be wrong.  That same draft, the poor Bucs, now picking at #7, passed on Luke Kuechly and took Mark Barron. Sigh.

This draft business... crazy stuff.