Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight lowery agrees to terms with us

12isthenew18

No he didn't. He gave up over 300 yards on only 300ish pass plays in the year he played safety under Rex. 1.51 yards per cover snap was by far the worst in the league. The next closest was at 1.27.

Not sure where you got the stats, and I'm not defending Lowery. But the stat implies they know he was responsible for the yards.

That has to be very hard to prove, unless you know the defenses called. He graded out positive on PFF for what it's worth.

Either way, I'm not a stat guy. I need to see him play. I'll reserve judgement until then.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you got the stats, and I'm not defending Lowery. But the stat implies they know he was responsible for the yards.

That has to be very hard to prove, unless you know the defenses called. He graded out positive on PFF for what it's worth.

Either way, I'm not a stat guy. I need to see him play. I'll reserve judgement until then.

It's not hard to prove. You just have to understand coverages.

Is your goal just to sound as clueless as possible?

Sanders and Hayden had and made better plays than Bethea in that game

Sanders with the FF on Jones and Hayden with the pick 6

Bottom line, Bethea stunk in his last few games with the Colts. Going to SF and having one good year now the same people booing him outta the stadium want him back. He stinks.

I can't say I know much about Lowery but prior to 2014, before the Falcons, as a safety, he never had a negative pass coverage grade for a season on PFF. In just 557 snaps in 2012 (he was inured in 2013) he was +6.1 pass coverage, which is quite good.

Yeah, I never watch Falcons games unless they are playing on SNF or MNF either so I can't say with any degree of authority if Dwight Lowry is overrated or not. 

His health/availability sounds decent starting 15 games last season, but like several people have said, I need to see what he does in a Colts uniform 1st. 

If Dustin isn't a fan of his coverage skills, that makes me nervous though I can't lie because Dustin is good at breaking down critical plays so I trust his judgment. 

A lot of you think this signing is good depth at safety but only if the dude can play & isn't a liability in the secondary though. 

Sanders and Hayden had and made better plays than Bethea in that game

Sanders with the FF on Jones and Hayden with the pick 6

Bottom line, Bethea stunk in his last few games with the Colts. Going to SF and having one good year now the same people booing him outta the stadium want him back. He stinks.

Some other players made better plays = he had nothing to so with the win. Great logic there.

I'll give Grigs and Lowery the benefit of the doubt, but he has a lot to prove if the Jags and Falcons let him go.

The 29-year old Lowery comes to Indianapolis after seven NFL seasons (84 games played, 62 career starts).

Lowery played with the Atlanta Falcons last season, where he started 15 of 16 games.

As free agency began, Lowery told ESPN.com he didn’t expect the Falcons to re-sign him with new head coach Dan Quinn arriving after time as the Seahawks defensive coordinator.

"The Seattle system, they like taller, longer players that can run and are physical. ... I'm not the tallest guy (5-11 and 212 pounds),” Lowery told ESPN.com.

“I'm definitely not a blazer as far as 40 times go. But I play football. I know what I'm doing, and I understand what I'm doing. There are places for players like that, too."

After reading his above statement I like him already. I like to hear football players knowing what they can and can't do. I hope the coaches know to and utilize them properly.

So, PFF grades him positive. Wherever you're getting your stats makes him sound like he's a cardboard cutout.

Which one didn't understand coverages? Like I said, I'll reserve judgement until I see him play in our system.

Sometimes it just takes the right coaching and scheme to turn a scrub into a pro bowler.

Tim Jennings, anyone?

I'll admit I don't know Jack about him, as I haven't turned on my Madden yet, lol.

But like I said in some thread a few days ago, the NFL & Fans have DeValued the RB position. Griggs has DeValued the Safety position.

I don't see how he devalued it after just signing Landry to a fat contract two off-seasons ago.

Is Lowery a legit chance to start or just a back up plan in case we cant land a decent SS in the draft to start day 1...?

Everyone on this current roster outside of QB, LT, WR, RB, & #1 CB has a chance to start

That's the point of OTA and TC

No he didn't. He gave up over 300 yards on only 300ish pass plays in the year he played safety under Rex. 1.51 yards per cover snap was by far the worst in the league. The next closest was at 1.27.

You're full of crap.

You want to know why we signed Lowery? It is because he has the ability to take TE's out of the game. We are not very good at covering TE's, and that is why Lowery is now a Colt.

You want to know why we signed Lowery? It is because he has the ability to take TE's out of the game. We are not very good at covering TE's, and that is why Lowery is now a Colt.

ill have to take your word for that and from that stand point it makes sence...even if he just comes in for TE coverage, we do face Thomas twice this year, most likely Gronk twice... still think we take a S early rounds to play as an every down

I don't see how he devalued it after just signing Landry to a fat contract two off-seasons ago.[/quote

Well for one, letting Bethea walk with no one to replace him. Getting Adams last year at last minute and him working out was very fortunate. Again this off-season no one yet to replace Landry and there were a bunch of affordable proven safetys in FA. The draft is thin at the S position so odds are against us having a good starter at the position this year.

I don't see how he devalued it after just signing Landry to a fat contract two off-seasons ago.

Well for one, letting Bethea walk with no one to replace him. Getting Adams last year at last minute and him working out was very fortunate. Again this off-season no one yet to replace Landry and there were a bunch of affordable proven safetys in FA. The draft is thin at the S position so odds are against us having a good starter at the position this year.
To your first point, by all accounts they offered Bethea a contract and were surprised when he signed with San Francisco.

Have you even watched Lowery play? Or are you just looking at meaningless stats that don't prove anything? I am no sure how you can "understand" coverage's by looking at stats.

How about actually paying attention to Lowery's greatest strength; covering TE's. Gronk ring a bell here? How about every other TE that ripped us apart the last few seasons?

No one knows exactly how it will work with Lowery in a Colts uniform. I like the signing, because at least it is an aggressive move to try to stop TE's from having their way with us.

Apparently, he was considered capable by Falcon fans. This is from their SB Nation blog:

"The good news for Atlanta is that Ron Parker is still out there, greeting a market that isn't quite willing to meet his asking price. The better news is that Dwight Lowery, who played capably as a starter just last year for the Falcons, is still available, as well. If the Falcons can land Parker, great, but if not they can hopefully bring back Lowery to ensure they have a competent starting option besides Charles Godfrey."

After last season, I'd gladly take "competent".

Have you even watched Lowery play? Or are you just looking at meaningless stats that don't prove anything? I am no sure how you can "understand" coverage's by looking at stats.

How about actually paying attention to Lowery's greatest strength; covering TE's. Gronk ring a bell here? How about every other TE that ripped us apart the last few seasons?

No one knows exactly how it will work with Lowery in a Colts uniform. I like the signing, because at least it is an aggressive move to try to stop TE's from having their way with us.

Signing a bad saftey in the 3rd wave of free agency to a likely vet min contract is definitely an aggressive move on Grigson's part.

Bethea didn't do it alone. That's a terrible comparison and you know it.

I don't agree that it's a terrible comparison. Of course, Bethea didn't do it alone. That's not my argument. 

I am arguing that Bethea didn't suck. He was part of a Super Bowl winning team as a key player on the defense. If you want to say a player sucked, how about Zibikowski or Landry? Bethea was actually good while with the Colts for many years.