Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 3.0 (with trades)

I don't like trades in mock drafts (mostly because most of them are unrealistic) but I though I'd mix it up a bit.

TRADE: Oakland sends their 2nd (35) and 4th (102) rounders to the Colts to jump ahead of Green Bay and New England for Jordan Phillips.

Round 2 (via Raiders): Colts select Carl Davis, DT, Iowa. We grab a very disruptive DT who excels as a pass rusher. Not only does Davis has starter potential, he has the potential to be one of the best interior defensive lineman in the league one day.

TRADE: Colts package pick #61, #102 #128 to the Dolphins for pick #47.

Round 2 (via Dolphins): Colts select Colts select Byron Jones, S, UConn. Jones is an athletic freak with the tape to back it up. Jones didn't play a ton of snaps last year, but he delivered when he did (thrown at 28 times and giving up 12 catches with 2 picks and 3 pass defenses). He's a day one starter at safety. Also brings the versatility of being able to play corner in a pinch.

Round 3: Colts select Mike Davis, RB, SCar. Davis is a big power-back with workhorse potential. He can split carries with Gore.

Round 5: Colts select Marcus Rush, DE, MSU. Rush is incredibly underrated. He's a freak athlete who dominated tackles at Michigan State. He can back-up at rush linebacker and compete with Werner for a roster spot.

Round 6: Colts take DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech. On top of the archaic triple-option offense, GT is known for putting out freak WRs. Smelter isn't an exception.

Round 6: Colts take David Perry, NT, Stanford.

Round 7: Colts take Tyler Moore, G, Florida.

Round 7: Colts take Matt Miller, WR, Boise State

Byron Jones was viewed as a late round pick until his combine performance. I doubt we need to trade up in the 2nd round to take him. 

I think your view of Carl Davis is way too positive. He was a big time underachiever this past season for Iowa. He may have the size and athletic ability to succeed, but he has not had the production to match. 

Byron Jones was viewed as a late round pick until his combine performance. I doubt we need to trade up in the 2nd round to take him. 

I think your view of Carl Davis is way too positive. He was a big time underachiever this past season for Iowa. He may have the size and athletic ability to succeed, but he has not had the production to match.

By who? Daniel Jeremiah had Jones as a top 50 player before the combine

Good approach......

Carl Davis clogs up the middle........

He collapses the pocket, the QB can't step up into his throws.....

He doesn't get the tackle, but the RB, must slide down to another hole, making a LB have an easier tackle.

If there was a stat for clog up the middle (CUTM?) ...... He would have the "STATs" that everyone demands

No matter how underrated Markus Rush is theres nothing to warrant him a 5th round pick. 7th-UDFA before pro day, 6th at highest now.

Also I'd rather have PJ Williams at S then Byron Jones. If Williams is gone maybe a true corner in that pick, with S in the 4th, RB to the 5th, and Rush to the sixth. Good worth though. I like this mock alot and like the trades.

I don't think that's correct.   Some of the draft websites had not evaluated him yet,  but I don't think he was viewed as a late round pick.

For example, NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah had Jones rated 50th overall BEFORE the combine.   Some were slow to evaluate him, but people seem to think his tape is pretty good.

I'm not sure he's a safety and is likely more a corner, but that's another matter....

I don't like trades in mock drafts (mostly because most of them are unrealistic) but I though I'd mix it up a bit.

TRADE: Oakland sends their 2nd (35) and 4th (102) rounders to the Colts to jump ahead of Green Bay and New England for Jordan Phillips.

Round 2 (via Raiders): Colts select Carl Davis, DT, Iowa. We grab a very disruptive DT who excels as a pass rusher. Not only does Davis has starter potential, he has the potential to be one of the best interior defensive lineman in the league one day.

TRADE: Colts package pick #61, #102 #128 to the Dolphins for pick #47.

Round 2 (via Dolphins): Colts select Colts select Byron Jones, S, UConn. Jones is an athletic freak with the tape to back it up. Jones didn't play a ton of snaps last year, but he delivered when he did (thrown at 28 times and giving up 12 catches with 2 picks and 3 pass defenses). He's a day one starter at safety. Also brings the versatility of being able to play corner in a pinch.

Round 3: Colts select Mike Davis, RB, SCar. Davis is a big power-back with workhorse potential. He can split carries with Gore.

Round 5: Colts select Marcus Rush, DE, MSU. Rush is incredibly underrated. He's a freak athlete who dominated tackles at Michigan State. He can back-up at rush linebacker and compete with Werner for a roster spot.

Round 6: Colts take DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech. On top of the archaic triple-option offense, GT is known for putting out freak WRs. Smelter isn't an exception.

Round 6: Colts take David Perry, NT, Stanford.

Round 7: Colts take Tyler Moore, G, Florida.

Round 7: Colts take Matt Miller, WR, Boise State

Couple of thoughts....   I think a #2 and two #4's is way too much to move up 14 picks.   I haven't done the math yet, but I'm confident we've paid way too high a price.

Also...   I think this is the 3rd mock you've had with Perry from Stanford.   Hey, I'd love it to happen, but I don't think he's a fit with us.   He's just under 310 and that's after putting on nearly 10 pounds since the end of the season.   He's pretty much maxed out.  I don't see the Colts using a 310 pound NT.    We like them much, much bigger.

I think he'll go roughly where you project,  but to another team....

Couple of thoughts....   I think a #2 and two #4's is way too much to move up 14 picks.   I haven't done the math yet, but I'm confident we've paid way too high a price.

Also...   I think this is the 3rd mock you've had with Perry from Stanford.   Hey, I'd love it to happen, but I don't think he's a fit with us.   He's just under 310 and that's after putting on nearly 10 pounds since the end of the season.   He's pretty much maxed out.  I don't see the Colts using a 310 pound NT.    We like them much, much bigger.

I think he'll go roughly where you project,  but to another team....

The math is close enough (two points different).  The thing with these trades is that I'm not absolutey sure we wouldn't be better served just taking Jordan Phillips in the first, letting a CB like Quentin Rollins fall to us in the second, and keeping our fourth round pick.  The trades seem to be Dustin's way of getting the most value out of picking up Carl Davis (who seems to be his favorite player).  Overall, though, it's not a bad haul.  My only complaints are out of preference for certain players.

The math is close enough (two points different).  The thing with these trades is that I'm not absolutey sure we wouldn't be better served just taking Jordan Phillips in the first, letting a CB like Quentin Rollins fall to us in the second, and keeping our fourth round pick.  The trades seem to be Dustin's way of getting the most value out of picking up Carl Davis (who seems to be his favorite player).  Overall, though, it's not a bad haul.  My only complaints are out of preference for certain players.

You're right, and so is Dustin,  the math works.   I confess I'm pretty stunned.

Rare, and I mean extremely rare, is the time I'd trade two fours to move up from the bottom of the 2nd to the middle of the 2nd.  Just 14 spots.    I think it would have to be for a 1st round talent (on the Colt's board) who they felt miraculously fell further than they thought possible. 

Just way too high a price for my comfort level.

I couldn't tell you anything about Davis's production because I didn't look at his box score, I looked at his tape.

No matter how underrated Markus Rush is theres nothing to warrant him a 5th round pick. 7th-UDFA before pro day, 6th at highest now.

Also I'd rather have PJ Williams at S then Byron Jones. If Williams is gone maybe a true corner in that pick, with S in the 4th, RB to the 5th, and Rush to the sixth. Good worth though. I like this mock alot and like the trades.

What is the difference between a pick at the bottom of the 5th and a 6th?

The difference between Jonathan Newsome and Andrew Jackson...

(Also Montori Hughes versus John Boyett)...

(Also Vick Ballard versus Justin Anderson)...

Lol I mean would you (no you) be complaining if he went like 5 picks later in technically the 6th round?

Lol I mean would you (no you) be complaining if he went like 5 picks later in technically the 6th round?

Ha!  If there's a player you want, I say go and get him.  If a player is graded for around the sixth round, I have no problem taking him in the late fifth.

What is the difference between a pick at the bottom of the 5th and a 6th?

A full round. 

32 players (+comps) will go behind the 2 picks. If the FO feels he has a 6th round value, and there are other players with 5th round value then there, take the 5th and wait and see if he's there in the 6th. Just saying I would put him in the 6th, not the fifth, just me. 

As a general question, why do so many mocks not select more DBs?  Who is there on the roster behind VD, Toler, and Butler?

If we're going to trade down (which I think we should if its possible BTW), I would like to see a few DBs in the 3rd through 5th rounds.  This draft may not be loaded with #1CBs, but the Colts don't need one. 

I think the Colts do need a #4 and a #5 who might be able to eventually replace Toler as a #2.  A S could also be of use, if not a downright need.

I personally love this mock. Trading back and getting Carl Davis plus Byron Jones would be phenomenal. Two areas many on here want to see taken care of, well there it is.

Mike Davis is a freaking stud, had he been fully healthy the past two years he might have been in the talks with Gordon and Gurley as the best in this draft. He reminds me a lot of MJD in how he runs - super strong with some speed. The guy can do it all.

Marcus Rush had an excellent pro day and could be a nice fill in at OLB. Although you stated the Rush spot Dustin, I think if Rush were to get to 260 I don't see why he couldn't push Walden at the SAM spot. His cone drills were very good, and with some time, he could end up giving us some help on either side.

Smelter, I believe, got hurt towards then end of the year and was out for the FSU and MSU game. I can't recall what it was without looking it up, but as you said, with Smelter being in a HEAVY run offense and PJ Williams throwing him the ball, Smelter still balled out. He would be a NICE hidden gem as our #5 guy behind Moncrief and Carter. Smelter could easily push those two guys and MAYBE be a #3 at the end of the year.

Overall, this would be my ideal draft..

I'm really nervous when a guy blows up because of his combine results or pro day performance. The draft is littered with busts that blew up at the combine while being thought of much lower before.

We wait to see how far the safety from Alabama falls. If he falls into pick 20 or so we trade up adding a 3ed rounder and grab him. If he's gone we see who falls, if it's a guy with value but we don't want we trade down and pick up multiple picks. I'd rather trade down and pick up a high 2ed and high 4th than to reach.

1. Jordan Phillips 6'5 330lbs

Colts fit: He already play NT in college and can step in start for us. Big space eater who was routinely double teamed in college. He has a higher ceiling imo than Goldman.

2. PJ Williams 6 foot 190lbs

Colts fit: We missed on Xavier Rhodes but that's ok right now we have a chance to rectify that.  Good with press scheme and being alone on a island. Corner back are getting paid and if the price not right I doubt we will resign Toler.

3. Tyrus Thompson 6'5 330lbs

Colts fit: we need to find a way to keep our core Luck, AC, TY, both TEs on offense.  While keeping Luck protected.  He should come in and be next in line for RT. Big and athletic.

4. Gerod Holliman 6 foot 218lbs

Colts fit: I know many people hate this pick but its a gamble that could pay off. Chuck can mold him. His ball skills make him a instant threat in the Afc south with 2 novice QB as he learn his craft. Coming into a league with a chip on his shoulder could possibly make him a steal for us.

5. Tyler Kroft 6'5 240lbs

Colts fit: if our offense cordinator is Pep or Chud after next year than the TE will be a focus.  Money wise we may have to let one of our TE go. This lessens the blow and gives us another target for Luck. He learned 4 different playbook while in college and has become a better blocker becoming more than just a pass catching TE.

6. Clayton geathers 6'2 218lbs

Colts fit: We need to see what we have with some of our Safeties.  Clayton can play a little ILB during passing downs and contribute on special teams he is a big time hitter.

6. Shaquille Riddick 6'6 240lbs

Colts fit: looking for depth and edge setting. He is quick and has a non stop motor with some lessons from Mathis and Cole he could become a diamond in the rough.

7. Mario Alfred 5'8 180lbs

Colts fit: kick off and punt returner.

7. Karlos Williams 6'1 230lbs

Colts fit: practice team he could compete with RBs and special teamsst time posting but this is what I got for a mock what do u think?