Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Indy Loosing Combine due to Pence signing RFRA?

scooter4910

So because they did it earlier means its ok? No, if they truly are about fair then they should be boycotting these other states.

Which was covered under..."2) Logistically, these groups can't boycott themselves out of every state with an RFRA."

The NFL, or any other company, isn't going to hamstring itself based on principal. They're not going to say, "Well, guess there are 30 states now, many of which house our teams, that we can't hold events in." That's unrealistic. I don't ascribe any altruistic motivations to the companies doing this. They will take stands against current and future actions if they think it benefits them in some way. That's not to say that there aren't CEOs that genuinely disagree with the laws, but I suspect the NFL and NCAA see this as a very calculated move. Make a stand, put on a show, and be seen as the "good guys." 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With any law, it's never really about the language at all, but the level of enforcement & how strict or loose that enforcement actually is. 

Actually, they are all about the language. Lawyers pick apart laws everyday because of the language they contain

I would say you're both right, to a degree. There are a lot of laws that are on the books that just don't get enforced, but when they do, it's all about the language. Lawyers eat that stuff up. I expect lawyers of all affiliations are currently feasting on this one.

I find ironic how you claim other people on this forum are being "political" to use your terminology & yet you continue to post links discussing or clarifying the current governor's position on this new law now enacted. 

It's fine. I just find it strange how your posts on this subject could be considered neutral exactly. 

I wasn't discussing the legislation. Just pointing out that the Gov. was attempting to clarify.....which if he can pull it off might make the entire issue go away. And I provide links to IndyStar which seem to be posting most of the current activity...I have no idea of their politics.

Actually, they are all about the language. Lawyers pick apart laws everyday because of the language they contain

No, language only really comes into play over litigation & what a judge feels is relevant or non relevant concerning a lawsuit by a plaintiff & whether or not the case is allowed to proceed or gets thrown out entirely. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 30, 2015 - discussing moderation
Hidden by Nadine, March 30, 2015 - discussing moderation

I wasn't discussing the legislation. Just pointing out that the Gov. was attempting to clarify.....which if he can pull it off might make the entire issue go away. And I provide links to IndyStar which seem to be posting most of the current activity...I have no idea of their politics.

Once I did a status update on this site where I mentioned WI Gov. Scott Walker by name & the fate of Collective Bargaining in the Badger State & my topic was locked. Yet, you can provide direct links to what Mike Pence said & the topic remains open. 

I never included any links when discussing collective barging or Governor Walker's position or clarification on it  & all I said was it will be interesting to see what happens in my state & the moderates decided to lock it down & yet your discussion was allowed to continue for 3 pages. Does that sound fair to you? 

I don't mind an open minded discussion on any topic Scooter. I just am surprised that the moderators allowed this particular discussion to continue that's all since they shut my status update down immediately prior to 1 person responding. I guess I would prefer an explanation from the moderators themselves. Thank you. 

My issue is not with Scooter himself just a reminder from the moderators of what is & what is not acceptable when discussing highly charged topics of a sensitive nature. 

Sometimes, I may highlight a director's vision in my movie topic that may be controversial, but I go to great pains to acknowledge that it is the director's interpretation not necessarily mine. Broad brush strokes are fine nothing politically elaborate or in depth in 99% of my reviews though. 

I think Indiana has put itself at risk with this legislation....

Remember,  the NFL wouldn't give Arizona a Super Bowl until it passed a Martin Luther King day for its state.

So, I think there's a strong risk of future Super Bowl's at stake for Indianapolis.    I'm not sure about the combine.

All other major sporting events are at risk, except the Indy 500.

I think I read that the nation's (world's?) largest video game expo comes to Indy annually, and I think that is now at risk....

Lots of possible business at risk now for the city.....    I hope this can be fixed....

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 30, 2015 - discussing moderation
Hidden by Nadine, March 30, 2015 - discussing moderation

People were very thoughtful & civil on here expressing their viewpoints & listening to different perspectives on this issue which is commendable. I don't live in Indianapolis myself so the law itself has no direct bearing on my life on a daily basis. I do value my friends on here that do live in the Hoosier State & I want no one to be discriminated against ever. 

If people wanted discussion to continue & forum members were being pleasant to one another, I guess there's no harm in it. 

I still need clarification though moderators on what is & what is not considered appropriate conversation of a governmental piece of legislation that is not going to get locked down moderators. 

I think we all deserve that. Thank you. 

I don't know....LA is trying to build a two team stadium and is going to be making a play for as many events as possible. And even Kevin Bowen said LOS was absolutely packed this year during the combine. I could see the NFL making a move and declaring it a space issue to not alienate the fans.

Possibly... The NFL did move the Draft this year from NYC to Chicago. For as long as I could remember, it has been held in NYC. So, this shows that the NFL is not opposed to changing venues for a major event. I still believe the Combine will stay in Indy.

Very and many times we are not getting but fractions of truth. :thmup:  This has been going on for years and gets worse everyday. So who do you believe ? News was supposed to be about reporting facts not pushing an agenda.Ive got almost 0 trust in news organizations anymore.

The media landscape changed forever when the Internet emerged. Prior to the internet, major stories from businesses, the government, etc had a one week lead time. Why? So reporters could gather their facts and write a comprehensive story that was well written and properly fact checked.

When the Internet first hit, the news cycle moved to a 24 hour lead time. Stories that were first heard about by a reporter were quickly put together in an effort to be first with the news. Obviously with this rush, being factual suffered as well as the quality of writing itself. BUT the public seemed to forgive this sloppiness in its insatiable desire to be fed so the cycle continued.

As the Internet morphed and the blogosphere emerged, citizens began contributing "news" content and the lines blurred even more between journalism and information pushing and again the public accepted the errors/sloppiness/untruthfulness in order to be fed its news.

Now add to this social media and the advent of mobile Internet devices the last several years and you have a frenzy of information sharing and there is no line anymore that can be clearly seen. The news cycle now is literally seconds and a story is believed to be true by how many sites it appears on versus the actual facts presented in the story. It is this last phase that has everyone upset because of the sensationalism as you say and the viral nature of news, particularly negative news. It is almost impossible to get "truth" anymore. We are in the fourth dimension as I like to call it and believe me when I tell it is self-created. Media is only a reflection of its consumers ...

Which was covered under..."2) Logistically, these groups can't boycott themselves out of every state with an RFRA."

The NFL, or any other company, isn't going to hamstring itself based on principal. They're not going to say, "Well, guess there are 30 states now, many of which house our teams, that we can't hold events in." That's unrealistic. I don't ascribe any altruistic motivations to the companies doing this. They will take stands against current and future actions if they think it benefits them in some way. That's not to say that there aren't CEOs that genuinely disagree with the laws, but I suspect the NFL and NCAA see this as a very calculated move. Make a stand, put on a show, and be seen as the "good guys."

But that's makes no sense and they stand to look hypocritical. Oh were going to boycott this state, but disregard all these other states that already have the same thing. Yes they should boycott themselves out of each state if "anti-discrimination" is what they truly are about.

This topic should probably be closed before it gets out of control. (politics and all). The law shouldn't have an effect over the combine, ncaa, Super Bowl, or any event.

Agreed.  Its about large companies using the media as free advertising.  If they make a statement about something that is being portrayed as intolerant, they can position themselves as being a more tolerant organization in the eyes of the public...free advertising.

If any event, organization, or company leaves, the blame should rest with the people controlling those entities for making that decision...not politicians.  Those are the parties responsible for this law having an effect on their business decisions...the legislators and Governor aren't responsible for that.   

I think it is very possible that Indy loses the combine.   This has been snowballing, so most anything could happen.  Celebrities via Twitter, Facebook and other social media is running with this.   It will certainly affect coming bids for Superbowls, Final Fours and other events.   

Such a dumb law to put into place.   High risk - low reward.  

I think it is very possible that Indy loses the combine. This has been snowballing, so most anything could happen. Celebrities via Twitter, Facebook and other social media is running with this. It will certainly affect coming bids for Superbowls, Final Fours and other events.

Such a dumb law to put into place. High risk - low reward.

Pretty sure Texas just hosted a superbowl. They have the same law