Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quinten Rollins As A Safety

Has point guard's foot quickness and hip fluidity. Plays with balance and above-average play strength. Well-built and competitive. Can be a disruptive press-corner. Has NFL-caliber "click-and-close" ability. Good leaper. Attacks the ball and receiver at high point. Good instincts and overlaps to make plays beyond his territory. Ruined hitches and bubble screens his way. Physical and has a strong desire to tackle. Wraps up receivers and throws his body at running backs in open space. Crowds receiver downfield, giving little breathing room. Has recovery quickness and natural anticipatory traits in coverage.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/quinten-rollins?id=2552263

Even though he's a corner, I've seen people like Charles Davis and others on Path to The Draft projecting him as a safety after he ran a 4.57 at the combine.  Said to have real good ball skills(had 7 picks as a corner) and real strong desire for hitting/tackling people. Could be the type of guy you could line up on

the slot as well if need be.

According to Mayock he should be available in the 2nd or as late as the 3rd.

"He's going to go higher than people think," said Mayock, who said he thinks Rollins will be a second- or third-round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473621/article/mayock-quinten-rollins-will-be-drafted-earlier-than-expected

What do you guys think about him as a safety prospect for the Colts?  Or do you think he should remain at corner?  Those who have knowledge please feel free to comment.

I'll come out and say, I love this kid as a prospect.

I'd be interested in him as a safety, but he would be the Earl Thomas, the single high, the Ed Reed, largely due to his lack of ideal bulk.

If we played him as that, I'm not sure if at 34, Mike Adams can handle being the Kam Chancellor style box safety enforcer.

Love him as a player though and would be a cool experiment.

Although I think he'd be too experimental for the pick that it would require to get him.

Interesting thought though.

I'd be interested in him as a safety, but he would be the Earl Thomas, the single high, the Ed Reed, largely due to his lack of ideal bulk.

If we played him as that, I'm not sure if at 34, Mike Adams can handle being the Kam Chancellor style box safety enforcer.

Although I think he'd be too experimental for the pick that it would require to get him.

If he can be an Ed Reed or a Earl Thomas I don't give a darn about Mike Adams!  He doesn't have much longer to play so if the kid was to beat him out I'd say Sianora(or however you spell it!).

This guy has FS qualities in him, I'd draft him for FS and in the modern day, playing nickel with 2 quality safeties that are good at run D and coverage, is almost a must while going against elite TEs like Gronk and Graham.

For a guy who hasn't played much football and has only played corner in his one year I'm not sure moving him to safety is the best course of action.

And if it is -- I don't think he'd be up to speed to play very much in his rookie year.

For those that favor this move -- is that what you want?    Draft a guy in the 2nd round that will mostly play special teams while he learns how to be an NFL safety in his rookie year?     Maybe he starts next year in '16.     You still happy with that?

If he can be an Ed Reed or a Earl Thomas I don't give a darn about Mike Adams!  He doesn't have much longer to play so if the kid was to beat him out I'd say Sianora(or however you spell it!).

haha, I would too.

I was just saying that he would play their type of role, I wasn't really commenting on his ability or potential. Nor would I expect him to be Earl Thomas or Ed Reed.

For a guy who hasn't played much football and has only played corner in his one year I'm not sure moving him to safety is the best course of action.

And if it is -- I don't think he'd be up to speed to play very much in his rookie year.

For those that favor this move -- is that what you want?    Draft a guy in the 2nd round that will mostly play special teams while he learns how to be an NFL safety in his rookie year?     Maybe he starts next year in '16.     You still happy with that?

Why this guy could beat out Adams! chuckle.

Hopefully he would be ready in year 2. Looks like a good physical prospect. How smart is the guy?

If that went down Adams would still be needed. Very few rookie corners or safety's can make that much of an impact. It takes time for rookies to get the speed and the tricks veteran receivers have. He could learn a lot from Adams IMO.

If that went down Adams would still be needed. Very few rookie corners or safety's can make that much of an impact. It takes time for rookies to get the speed and the tricks veteran receivers have. He could learn a lot from Adams IMO.

I'm half way serious, but more speaking out of excitement.  Don't take me too seriously.

Haven't thought it all the way out.

I think in a weak safety class you give it consideration.  Wouldn't be the first corner that was converted to safety.

Whoever we pick I'm sure the Colts will stick with Adams making the calls.   May not take him a full year to get adjusted.

Glad to see a counter argument or perception though.

Give more than a nope sometimes. Tell us your reasons for a Nope

I don't see the recovery speed and long speed. Also like NCF said...He would be an experiement, ya don't draft experiments at your last line of defense on the field high, Ya draft someone that ya know can be where he supposed to be because ya seen it on film and he understands the position already, Prewitt gives ya that in my opinion more then an experiment, I need a guy that does more then hits hard to be my Safety

I don't see the recovery speed. Also like NCF said...He would be an experiement, ya don't draft experiments at your last like of defense on the field, Ya draft someone that ya know can be where he supposed to be because ya seen it on film and he understands the position already, Prewitt gives ya that in my opinion more then an experiment, I need a guy that does more then hits hard to be my Safety

You're speaking of recovery speed coming from the corner position.  That's not the same angle as a safety.

I don't see the recovery speed and long speed. Also like NCF said...He would be an experiement, ya don't draft experiments at your last line of defense on the field high, Ya draft someone that ya know can be where he supposed to be because ya seen it on film and he understands the position already, Prewitt gives ya that in my opinion more then an experiment, I need a guy that does more then hits hard to be my Safety

I can get with you on Pruitt, but is this the same stuff you saw with Kenny Ladler last year?  Ladler didn't work out too well.

Quentin Rollins a Target?

The Eagles sent DBs coach Cory Undlin to Miami OH’s Pro Day to work out Quentin Rollins. This shows a special level of interest. It doesn’t mean they love the guy, but it does mean they think he’s worth extra study at the very least.

Here’s an interesting twist.

FWIW: was told
had a scout at Miami (Ohio) pro day and he was part of the group that worked Quinten Rollins at safety. Eagles too.

— Emmanual Benton (@Manny_PPI)

http://eaglesblog.net/2015/03/quentin-rollins-a-target/

The Eagles haven’t made any moves at Safety yet. Could Rollins be a target? He would be good value in the 2nd round

Seems there are teams that think he could make the transition as well.  I think it's worth a look with this guy.

Quentin Rollins a Target?

Posted on March 23, 2015 by Tommy Lawlor

The Eagles sent DBs coach Cory Undlin to Miami OH’s Pro Day to work out Quentin Rollins. This shows a special level of interest. It doesn’t mean they love the guy, but it does mean they think he’s worth extra study at the very least.

Here’s an interesting twist.

FWIW: was told #Redskins had a scout at Miami (Ohio) pro day and he was part of the group that worked Quinten Rollins at safety. Eagles too.

— Emmanual Benton (@Manny_PPI) March 20, 2015

http://eaglesblog.net/2015/03/quentin-rollins-a-target/

The Eagles haven’t made any moves at Safety yet. Could Rollins be a target? He would be good value in the 2nd round

Seems there are teams that think he could make the transition as well.  I think it's worth a look with this guy.

For the record....Im not saying he CANT play Safety.....Im saying we cant afford to find out the hard way he cant, I actually think that's where he fits but Im not willing to bet a 2nd round pick on that or even 3rd

For the record....Im not saying he CANT play Safety.....Im saying we cant afford to find out the hard way cant, I actually think that's where he fits but Im not willing to bet a 2nd round pick on that or even 3rd

I can respect that. Not everybody is going to feel exactly the same and it's cool.

I didn't realize we worked him out on his pro day.

Cornerback Quinten Rollins (5-foot-11 1/4, 195 pounds) stood on his results from the NFL Scouting Combine. He did have a good workout at the pro day, though. He did a good job moving around, showing good quickness and ball skills. Rollins is the No. 7 corner in the draft, according to NFL Media's Lance Zierlein.

Two teams -- the Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts -- have worked him out. He has two more workouts and two more visits scheduled over the next couple weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480859/article/miami-ohio-cb-quinten-rollins-works-out-for-colts-panthers

I'm wondering whether the Colts project him as a safety or a corner?

I would love it if the Colts picked him up in the 2nd round. I feel he has the potential to be a solid corner in the NFL, but a move to safety may be better for his lack of straight line speed. He takes good angles, and tackles well for a corner, so I could see him changing positions somewhat smoothly. Only problem is I doubt he starts at S or CB this year baring injury as he would need some time to develop as a S, and he will be buried by corner depth.

• 2 weeks later...

Deion Sanders says he likes Quinten Rollins and would take a chance on drafting him

I don't care what anybody says I like this guy as our young future safety if chosen.

I have no concerns about the conversion.  Similar in some ways to what Arizona did with Tyrann Mathieu

and I think Rollins is a better athlete with more size.

This season we'd have Adams, Lowery, Mcdonald, Guy, and Rollins. I think we had about 5 safeties last year.

get him and Shaq Thompson shaq to play the cam role Rollins for the Thomas role