Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans trying to catch up with the Colts...

bap1331

I'm more worried about good Mallet can be.  They won 9 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback.  They have just improved their defense even more then it was.

Honestly Mallet doesn't have to be very good to make them a threat.  

We really can't afford to sleep on the Texans guys.  

Every game against the texans seems like it could go either way They have a number of playmakers and I think the new additions will make JJs job much easier , We should be very much worried about them, I think the texans are going to be a hand full.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's my opinion. The Texans have the best player in the NFL in J.J. Watt. There's no arguing that he is, the problem for the Texans is that he can only be so much of a game changer at DE. A QB like Andrew Luck who is Elite will have a far greater effect on helping the Colts than Watt will of helping the Texans. An interesting thing also is that no pick really stood out in last year's draft for the Texans. They can hope with Clowney, but it was a terrible draft so far where they should of improved a bunch having the 1st overall pick and gaining ground on the Colts. The Colts got 3 new starters with 5 picks though. Hoyer is terrible IMO and can't throw tds to save his life. He's a game manager at best, and that's not going to help the Texans enough IMO. The Jaguars are also improving enough where they could give the Texans a fight. There are no guarantees they sweep them anymore or finish ahead of them. This draft will determine a lot and the Texans better get some impact players in this year's draft as the Colts have full ammunition as well. We all know what Grigson did with 5 picks and no first rounder, imagine what he can do this year! 

Ok, here's my opinion. The Texans have the best player in the NFL in J.J. Watt. There's no arguing that he is, the problem for the Texans is that he can only be so much of a game changer at DE. A QB like Andrew Luck who is Elite will have a far greater effect on helping the Colts than Watt will of helping the Texans. An interesting thing also is that no pick really stood out in last year's draft for the Texans. They can hope with Clowney, but it was a terrible draft so far where they should of improved a bunch having the 1st overall pick and gaining ground on the Colts. The Colts got 3 new starters with 5 picks though. Hoyer is terrible IMO and can't throw tds to save his life. He's a game manager at best, and that's not going to help the Texans enough IMO. The Jaguars are also improving enough where they could give the Texans a fight. There are no guarantees they sweep them anymore or finish ahead of them. This draft will determine a lot and the Texans better get some impact players in this year's draft as the Colts have full ammunition as well. We all know what Grigson did with 5 picks and no first rounder, imagine what he can do this year! 

Saying that Watt is the best player in the NFL and that there is no argument about it is not true at all.  There is plenty to debate about the statement particularly given the fact that he does not play QB in a QB driven league.

Saying that Watt is the best player in the NFL and that there is no argument about it is not true at all.  There is plenty to debate about the statement particularly given the fact that he does not play QB in a QB driven league.

Make your argument then. He is a better DE than any QB is a QB in the NFL. As I said, the lack of being a game changer unlike someone like an Andrew Luck is the reason the Colts are a better team and the reason Watt didn't win MVP. Watt is an absolutely ridiculous defensive player and his PFF stats comparatively speaking to everyone else along with his statistics will point that out. A qb can win games almost on his own, a DE can't, even one as good as J.J. Watt. No defensive player is in the same planet as Watt playing in the NFL. The top 5 QBs are pretty bunched together and they all have flaws. Watt has no flaws. 

Your argument is a moot point that because he doesn't play qb in a qb driven league that he isn't the best player. It purely means he won't have the biggest impact in winning games because he's not a qb. He's by far the best and most dominant player at any position, and it really isn't close. I don't have a paid subscription to PFF, but check it out if you can and you'll see my point quite easily. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13979/jj-watt

Make your argument then. He is a better DE than any QB is a QB in the NFL. As I said, the lack of being a game changer unlike someone like an Andrew Luck is the reason the Colts are a better team and the reason Watt didn't win MVP. Watt is an absolutely ridiculous defensive player and his PFF stats comparatively speaking to everyone else along with his statistics will point that out. A qb can win games almost on his own, a DE can't, even one as good as J.J. Watt. No defensive player is in the same planet as Watt playing in the NFL. The top 5 QBs are pretty bunched together and they all have flaws. Watt has no flaws. 

Your argument is a moot point that because he doesn't play qb in a qb driven league that he isn't the best player. It purely means he won't have the biggest impact in winning games because he's not a qb. He's by far the best and most dominant player at any position, and it really isn't close. I don't have a paid subscription to PFF, but check it out if you can and you'll see my point quite easily. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13979/jj-watt

I don't recall saying that isn't a ridiculous player - clearly he is.  I also don't recall saying anything close to he is a better DE than any DE in the league or that he is a better DE than a QB is a QB - Whatever TH that means.

But the simple statement that he is the best player and there is no argument is silly.  Shouldn't the best player in the game be able to elevate his team to something more than 2 wins in 2013?

I don't recall saying that isn't a ridiculous player - clearly he is.  I also don't recall saying anything close to he is a better DE than any DE in the league or that he is a better DE than a QB is a QB - Whatever TH that means.

But the simple statement that he is the best player and there is no argument is silly.  Shouldn't the best player in the game be able to elevate his team to something more than 2 wins in 2013?

That basically means he plays his position as a DE better than the 5 Elite QBs play their position as a QB. That's the unfortunate thing for Watt is that a player of his position (DE) can only have so much impact. You are also picking his 2nd worst season in 2013. In 2013 he only had 10.5 sacks and the team wasn't as good. He did carry the in 2012 and 2014 with 20.5 sacks and a bunch of other ridiculous game-changing stats both years. In 2014 especially he probably was responsible for at least 4 victories. The problem is that a single DE doesn't win games today and they don't get the distinction of winning the MVP Award. I think you know that no other defensive player had an impact that Watt did. He is just undervalued compared to the elite QBs because he can't win games on his own. He's a special player, but a top 5 qb will have more impact because of position. That doesn't mean they are better players than Watt, as he has clearly separated himself from the pack. He just can't win games as a DE. 

You are no casual fan Jskinnz, so you know how good Watt is. He won't carry the Texans past the Colts luckily and we can definitely agree on that, but to have the impact he does for a DE and the separation in Talent from every other defensive player and player in general can't be denied. 

That basically means he plays his position as a DE better than the 5 Elite QBs play their position as a QB. That's the unfortunate thing for Watt is that a player of his position (DE) can only have so much impact. You are also picking his 2nd worst season in 2013. In 2013 he only had 10.5 sacks and the team wasn't as good. He did carry the in 2012 and 2014 with 20.5 sacks and a bunch of other ridiculous game-changing stats both years. In 2014 especially he probably was responsible for at least 4 victories. The problem is that a single DE doesn't win games today and they don't get the distinction of winning the MVP Award. I think you know that no other defensive player had an impact that Watt did. He is just undervalued compared to the elite QBs because he can't win games on his own. He's a special player, but a top 5 qb will have more impact because of position. That doesn't mean they are better players than Watt, as he has clearly separated himself from the pack. He just can't win games as a DE. 

You are no casual fan Jskinnz, so you know how good Watt is. He won't carry the Texans past the Colts luckily and we can definitely agree on that, but to have the impact he does for a DE and the separation in Talent from every other defensive player and player in general can't be denied. He proves it with the inhuman efforts every week he puts out, and has earned major respect, rival team or not.

You are no casual fan Jskinnz, so you know how good Watt is. He won't carry the Texans past the Colts luckily and we can definitely agree on that, but to have the impact he does for a DE and the separation in Talent from every other defensive player and player in general can't be denied. 

Yes - I know how good Watt is.

And I comprehend your argument - it is not without merit.  But I simply just don't agree that Watt's position as the best player in the game is above debate.

There's plenty of QBs on the roster, actually. And I didn't know you guys signed Hopkins.

Mallet and Hoyer are just figments of our imagination, Qwiz.

Saying the Texans have their QB issue solved with the answers being Hoyer and / or Mallett is kind of funny.  I bet you were on the Brown's board trashing Hoyer the week the Texans played the Brownies.  But now, he will be wearing Battle Red - he is the answer.

Here is the reality - all fanboy rhetoric aside - the Colts will be correctly favored to win the division again over Houston because of situation at QB.  And the odds are pretty good things go Indy's way in 2015 because of that.  

Saying the Texans have their QB issue solved with the answers being Hoyer and / or Mallett is kind of funny. I bet you were on the Brown's board trashing Hoyer the week the Texans played the Brownies. But now, he will be wearing Battle Red - he is the answer.

Here is the reality - all fanboy rhetoric aside - the Colts will be correctly favored to win the division again over Houston because of situation at QB. And the odds are pretty good things go Indy's way in 2015 because of that.

Ha, a Colts fan talking about the trashing of another player when he isn't in your team's uniform-that was a strong dose of irony on a Sunday. We won 9 games with Futzpatrick last year and Mallett has far superior potential as well as a strong arm to get the balls to receivers that no other Texan QB has had. He can make every throw you ask him to. Hoyer can improve too. It takes more then a QB to win in this league anyway. Sure, the Colts are favored, that's cool. But I believe the Texans win the South this year. My opinion.

Mallett has started two games. Hoyer was a back-up his entire career before last season. You have nothing against either of them.

Mallet is ahead of GoldenBoy...Luck was 0-2 in his first two games...Ryan is 1-1. :)

well for one thing the texans have a few former pats coaching for them and he has two rings so he really doesnt need to be on a championship team

That and the fact he's playing with the best lineman in arguably nfl history so he won't have to do much

Then if Clowney gets healthy, Texans are officially dominating the LOS on defense

When we had an injured qb and a rookie qb. Other than that it hasnt. I guess you could hope Luck gets injured. It's really you're only hope

So Andrew wasn't the savior until year 2 right? He still got the team to the playoffs. I don't hope for players to get hurt but considering the way the line has played you're lucky he hasn't been hurt already.

Who have the Texans added this year that will move them over the Colts? Hoyer? Might I remind you he was benched in favor of Johnny Manziel at one point last season? That's the guy that's the big difference maker? Or Wilfork? He's pretty good but he won't give them 3 more wins or whatever.

Meanwhile the Colts have added Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Trent Cole, Kendall Langford, And Nate Irving. So I don't see why the Texans would pass the Colts I honestly don't.

Who have the Texans added this year that will move them over the Colts? Hoyer? Might I remind you he was benched in favor of Johnny Manziel at one point last season? That's the guy that's the big difference maker? Or Wilfork? He's pretty good but he won't give them 3 more wins or whatever.

Meanwhile the Colts have added Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Trent Cole, Kendall Langford, And Nate Irving. So I don't see why the Texans would pass the Colts I honestly don't.

Hoyer isn't the only option at QB. Texans have added Shorts and Rahim Moore as well, and Wilfork will have a big impact whether you believe it or not. The Colts have some new players as well but the Draft isn't here yet and declaring yourself a winner already when it is only the beginning of the offseason is really weak.

What has Mallet proven that makes you have any faith in him? Nothing. And I am not declaring us winners because of the off-season, I am declaring us winners because we are the current champions of the AFC south and when it comes to the most important position on the field, we blow you out of the water.

What has Mallet proven that makes you have any faith in him? Nothing. And I am not declaring us winners because of the off-season, I am declaring us winners because we are the current champions of the AFC south and when it comes to the most important position on the field, we blow you out of the water.

Mallett showed plenty of potential before he got hurt. I recall a few Colts fans even commenting about how well he looked, go find the thread if you don't believe me. And just bc you are current winners doesn't mean you will win it again....does every team that win their division automatically win again? Didn't think so. Yes you have the QB but this is a team game. Our defense is built, at this current stage, to get after quarterbacks like Andrew. The Texans came pretty close to making the postseason last year too if you don't remember. I don't disregard your team and I don't think you should disregard mine. But do what you want. The games are played on the field.