Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

Obvious advantage? Mythbusters and Sports Science proved that there is arguably a DISASVANTAGE, because the ball would travel 15 yards 0.003 seconds slower through the air.. which for an NFL corner, that would equate to 1 more inch of ground covered. . In a game that they always say is "a game of inches"

Overinflating the ball is more advantageous because it allows more velocity and tighter spirals, which are easier to catch.

Does an inch in the air matter as much vs the tsunami that game was played in and the fact the football is not just thrown in a football game, but is also ran with?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay,  it now seems most everyone is in agreement.   This is clearly on Brady..

What do you all think the proper punishment should be...???    And Will be....??

My guess is,  Brady will take the responsibility,  be given a Fine.    Kraft will pay the fine....   and all will be rosy again in time for the SB.

Pathetic.

Free lesson in thermodenamics from a conversation I was having with a good friend who is a biochemical engineer (who is NOT a football or sports fan)

If the balls were filled with warm air at room temp (between 70-80 degrees), they could be at 12.5 psi 2.5 hours before game time (lowest legal psi limit), by the start of kickoff in 50 degree weather they could lose over a full psi of pressure, then when you add in the rain it can add additional weight to the football and also effect the PSI.

That's just the 3 hours from inspection to kick off, then the ball obviously can become more deflated from the rigors of an NFL football game, being landed on by multiple 300lb men, spiked, etc..

This is not some conspiracy, just the laws of thermodynamics can explain this.. if the Colts filled their balls to 13.5 psi (max legal limit) they would lose roughly the same PSI but would still be within regulation.

We know zero details of the investigation, and I find it hard to believe that 11 balls were discovered to be "deflated" since there were several tossed to fans in the crowd

I've also heard that that the NFL doesnt support Mortensens claim of the 11 balls, I also heard that there are 2 teams that are LIVID with the Colts for bringing this up and drawing attention to a practice that is used throughout the league by every starting QB.. Some of which prepare their balls for MONTHS to be to their liking for game day.

This could just as easily backfire on the Colts.. Manning with the support of Brady got the league to allow the use of their own game day balls and it's generally understood that each team has their own, you make your balls the way you like them and we'll make ours the way we like them... its all personal preference, like Rodgers likes to overinflate his balls for a tighter spiral, and the physics of the extra psi actually allow the ball to travel at a higher velocity when he does that.

At the end of the day, the league has to prove that the Pats intentionally tampered with the balls.

why were all.of the colts balls properly inflated?

What do you all think the proper punishment should be...???    And Will be....??

My guess is,  Brady will take the responsibility,  be given a Fine.    Kraft will pay the fine....   and all will be rosy again in time for the SB.

Pathetic.

Gramz - I don't think much will be done now. They won't touch Brady. Maybe a fine.

I can totally accept that the HC doesn't get involved in the routine handling of the game balls, but for Bill to claim that he just learned over the past few days how the process works....

C'mon!

Yeah he doesn't really have a reputation as a guy that doesn't know everything that's going on.  I think he knows 

Obvious advantage? Mythbusters and Sports Science proved that there is arguably a DISASVANTAGE, because the ball would travel 15 yards 0.003 seconds slower through the air.. which for an NFL corner, that would equate to 1 more inch of ground covered. . In a game that they always say is "a game of inches"

Overinflating the ball is more advantageous because it allows more velocity and tighter spirals, which are easier to catch.

So your argument is that the Patriots deflated the footballs to help the opposition? Interesting defense strategy there.

Pathetic.

That is how this will roll. $18,574 fine and into the sunset they go. Pathetic is right.

Gramz - I don't think much will be done now. They won't touch Brady. Maybe a fine.

They don't need to touch Brady IMO and many other's opinions. Everyone knows Goodell is Kraft's BFF, everyone knows they have cheated before. They can win the SB, get crowned, parade, all that, and you get to have that which is great, but we all know it's not legitimate. I think that's a win win

Pathetic.

I obviously don't know, but I have to think that a lot of people are underestimating the amount of pressure that Goodell is under after the mishandling of the Ray Rice incident.  I have to think that the heat is on for him to show that he has control of this league and that he's going to maintain its integrity.

Pathetic.

Sounds like just the plan that Kraft and BB and Brady worked out that Brady will get fined and no big deal and they again got away with cheating.  What will be next :???:

there's going to be a lot of disappointed folks here.  without actual evidence that brady/belichick/whomever altered the balls after the inspection, there's not going to be anything harsher than an orgazinational fine.

and no the psi being different is not proof the Patriots doctored the balls.

there's going to be a lot of disappointed folks here.  without actual evidence that brady/belichick/whomever altered the balls after the inspection, there's not going to be anything harsher than an orgazinational fine.

and no the psi being different is not proof the Patriots doctored the balls.

Unfortunately you are correct. Another way of the Pats to get an advantage but not being caught. Just like how Al Capone made it through life.

So your argument is that the Patriots deflated the footballs to help the opposition? Interesting defense strategy there.

its the placebo effect.

corking the bat has been proven to lower the amount of power a hitter has.  it makes it harder to hit home runs because there is less inertia.  but players still do it because they think it makes it easier.

I obviously don't know, but I have to think that a lot of people are underestimating the amount of pressure that Goodell is under after the mishandling of the Ray Rice incident.  I have to think that the heat is on for him to show that he has control of this league and that he's going to maintain its integrity.

I sure hope your right Hoosier.  :thmup:

Ignorance is not an excuse, and it's a second offense.

This is not anywhere in the neighborhood of spygate.

Still, interested to see what Brady says. Like I said no way he does all 12 balls intentionally. He was just getting them to where he likes to grip them. That is what I am expecting ...

Okay, it now seems most everyone is in agreement. This is clearly on Brady..

What do you all think the proper punishment should be...??? And Will be....??

My guess is, Brady will take the responsibility, be given a Fine. Kraft will pay the fine.... and all will be rosy again in time for the SB.

Pathetic.

yep the crafty organization that is using goodell. Will walk away from another cheating scandel..... All I got to say is ****!

This is not anywhere in the neighborhood of spygate.

Still, interested to see what Brady says. Like I said no way he does all 12 balls intentionally. He was just getting them to where he likes to grip them. That is what I am expecting ...

Doesn't matter what neighborhood your cheating scandals live in. Separate teams I can see, but same guys again? hmmm. Marshawn Lynch was about to be suspended from the NFC championship game for his cleats. How can the NFL not do something harsh for something that actually tampers with the game?

agreed.

i think this whole investigation of measuring the balls, interviewing staff, etc that the league has done the past few days is a result of them getting egg on their face from Ray Rice.

If not for the Ray Rice incident, this is simply a fine handed down on Monday morning and that'd be the end of it.  They are covering their own tails and making sure there's no way damning evidence comes out after they have already punished the Pats

Doesn't matter what neighborhood your cheating scandals live in. Separate teams I can see, but same guys again? hmmm. Marshawn Lynch was about to be suspended from the NFC championship game for his cleats. How can the NFL not do something harsh for something that actually tampers with the game?

Because what Lynch keeps doing - grabbing his privates, wearing the wrong shoes, dissing the media IS worse in the NFL views ...

I was never one to be terribly outraged by spygate.  But the pattern here is undeniable.  This sort of thing is ruining this sport.

I was talking to my brother over the holiday and he said, he's about reached the point where there is so much crime among players and corruption in organizations that he's about done being a football fan.

I can see a lot of people feeling that way.  I won't watch the superbowl.  My sympathies to the SeaHawks

NFL hates rogue players and Lynch offends them every game ...

But they are ok with multiple cases of cheating from the same guys?

Edit: Lynch is the way he is w the media because they flipped something he said and that * him off. Same way HBO used the one take on Hard Knocks where Cromartie screwed up naming his 7 kids and he refused to be filmed or interviewed for the rest of the show.

Does an inch in the air matter as much vs the tsunami that game was played in and the fact the football is not just thrown in a football game, but is also ran with?

A ball at 11 psi has exactly 1mm (that's a millimeter for those unfamiliar with the metric system) more grip than a ball at 12.5, which equates to the equivelant of a 1 dollar bill difference in pressure

Science, using actual laws of physics, have completely debunked the "advantage" angle. It all comes down to personal preference on the footballs, and a lot of it is physcological

Because what Lynch keeps doing - grabbing his privates, wearing the wrong shoes, dissing the media IS worse in the NFL views ...

What Lynch is doing is a product of ignorance. It's not giving the Seahawks an unfair advantage. I know you are smart enough to not be comparing cheating to being dumb. The NFL isn't that dumb either. They are petty, but they are not dumb.

agreed.

i think this whole investigation of measuring the balls, interviewing staff, etc that the league has done the past few days is a result of them getting egg on their face from Ray Rice.

If not for the Ray Rice incident, this is simply a fine handed down on Monday morning and that'd be the end of it.  They are covering their own tails and making sure there's no way damning evidence comes out after they have already punished the Pats

I heard someone say yesterday (I think Jay Glazer) that what he's hearing around the league offices is that they absolutely have to get this "right." 

I will not go with the notion that a fine is all that should be done, but I agree that if this hadn't blown up as much as it has, it likely would have been swept under the rug.  I also agree that they most certainly do not want to hand down a ruling and then have more damning evidence come out later.

I was never one to be terribly outraged by spygate.  But the pattern here is undeniable.  This sort of thing is ruining this sport.

I was talking to my brother over the holiday and he said, he's about reached the point where there is so much crime among players and corruption in organizations that he's about done being a football fan.

I can see a lot of people feeling that way.  I won't watch the superbowl.  My sympathies to the SeaHawks

for what?  You do realize they have tarnished the "integrity" of the game as much as anyone else, right?  They far and away lead the league in performance enhancing drug suspensions.

Chris Mortensen @mortreport 16m16 minutes ago

This may not be popular but did I believe Bill Belichick? Yes.

That's why he is the evil genius. He's the head coach, he knows his legacy and HoF implications with another cheating scandal. He's done everything in the game everyone else wishes they were able to achieve. Every player has a shelf life in the Patriots organization and Brady's is possibly up.

for what?  You do realize they have tarnished the "integrity" of the game as much as anyone else, right?  They far and away lead the league in performance enhancing drug suspensions.

Yea they are really damaging the game by giving a bad image to college kids trying to study for tests or stay up to party.