Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Demarco Murray

No we need to draft a back with fresh legs and maybe also sign Spiller if he's cheep enough. Murray will want too much money, he has injury problems, and will not repeat this seasons success in all likelihood. He's a pretty good RB but Keep in mind the line he had this year.

Jerry jones said there's no way they sign him an dez .. So looks like Murray will be out there should the colts snag him ?

Ummmm....    No.

That's NOT what Jerry Jones said at all.    I'm not sure where you got that,  but you might want to go back and double-check that.

What Jerry Jones DID say was that getting both signed is going to be a challenge.

Here's the story with quotes from Jones.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/12175038/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-says-new-long-term-deals-dez-bryant-demarco-murray-require-creativity

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/adrian-peterson-2015-running-back-free-agent-class/

Good article on the subject to check out. Keep in mind this was after week 11 (New England game).

Indianapolis Colts: And then, of course, we finish with the most obvious answer of all. The Colts have the cap space. They have a general manager who is comfortable spending that cap space. They have a gigantic hole at running back, and they’ve clearly established a history of being willing to devote serious assets to filling that hole.

Well, attempting to fill that hole. It hasn’t quite worked out for Richardson in Indianapolis, and while the Colts were able to get by with bargain-bin signing Ahmad Bradshaw as their primary back early in 2014, Bradshaw’s fractured fibula has ended his season and created a chasm at the position. The Colts can’t turn to Richardson as their primary back in 2015, can they? It’s not difficult to imagine them going after any of these three guys to pair with Andrew Luck and their dominant passing attack.

Cutting Richardson would save exactly zero dollars — the Colts would pay just as much to keep him as they would to get rid of him — but it would prevent the team from feeling like it needs to justify the sunk cost of that first-round pick by giving him 150 terrible carries per season. They’re better off moving on and signing Lynch, Murray, or Peterson to anchor their backfield. It might not work, but at least it won’t cost them a first-round pick.

I don't like Murray. He never put up numbers until they put together that really great o-line, he had a bajillion touches this year and that usually means trouble the next year, and he'll cost a fortune.

Mark Ingram would be a good signing. He's come into his own as a complete running back, he has minimal wear on him because of limited carries, has shown he can run behind average lines and is still only 25. Give him 150-200 carries a year and Bradshaw/Herron the rest.

RB is not a position you really wanna spend big money on nowadays. It's a passing league. A RB with a huge contract just means he's the most elite player on the team, and there isn't a franchise QB in place (i.e. Peterson in Minnesota). We have an elite QB here already, there's no reason to spend big money on a guy like Murray. Get a cheaper option like Spiller in FA, or just draft a guy in the mid rounds.

Plus our line isn't that great at run blocking at the moment.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/adrian-peterson-2015-running-back-free-agent-class/

Good article on the subject to check out. Keep in mind this was after week 11 (New England game).

Indianapolis Colts: And then, of course, we finish with the most obvious answer of all. The Colts have the cap space. They have a general manager who is comfortable spending that cap space. They have a gigantic hole at running back, and they’ve clearly established a history of being willing to devote serious assets to filling that hole.

Well, attempting to fill that hole. It hasn’t quite worked out for Richardson in Indianapolis, and while the Colts were able to get by with bargain-bin signing Ahmad Bradshaw as their primary back early in 2014, Bradshaw’s fractured fibula has ended his season and created a chasm at the position. The Colts can’t turn to Richardson as their primary back in 2015, can they? It’s not difficult to imagine them going after any of these three guys to pair with Andrew Luck and their dominant passing attack.

Cutting Richardson would save exactly zero dollars — the Colts would pay just as much to keep him as they would to get rid of him — but it would prevent the team from feeling like it needs to justify the sunk cost of that first-round pick by giving him 150 terrible carries per season. They’re better off moving on and signing Lynch, Murray, or Peterson to anchor their backfield. It might not work, but at least it won’t cost them a first-round pick.

Barnwell is a dope

I agree - I said in another thread he blocked me last week for calling him out on writing 17 paragraphs on Peyton's arm strength then 1 paragraph on what the Colts can do to win

Yeah, on his podcast he and the cohost were laughing at the Colts chances vs Denver. That's not the reason I dislike him though...he just doesn't understand football....he thinks the truth is hidden in advanced stats.

Yeah, on his podcast he and the cohost were laughing at the Colts chances vs Denver. That's not the reason I dislike him though...he just doesn't understand football....he thinks the truth is hidden in advanced stats.

loves going back to the 80's to find some connection (like colts losing 3 times to the pats by so much) or looking at DVOA which i dont even remember what that means...hes a clown

Jerry jones said there's no way they sign him an dez .. So looks like Murray will be out there should the colts snag him ?

I don't think that is what Jerry Jones said. I could be wrong but there are a couple of comments made by Jones where he said resigning him was going to be a challenge but said he would get it worked out. IMO the Colts do not need to spend a bunch of money on a RB without getting the O-line fixed and some depth there. Teams are shying away from signing big contracts to running backs. You spend big money on a RB and then have no depth if he gets injured.