Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IF Peyton retires...

bap1331

I hope he signs with the Colts on a 1 day contract and we do a big parade for him! :D

Poor guy, reading the reactions in Denver is just beyond disrespectful. Things like, "Peyton made me waste money going to New York, buy tickets just to the see the team get an a** whooping" and "Get rid of Peyton, hes old and hes wasting our cap space" and "3 wasteful years...". Nevertheless the fans of 30 other teams.

Nobody will ever give Peyton the respect he deserves but Indianapolis Colts fans. Time to go home Peyton! :D

I can't speak for Denver fans, but reading the comments, it does seem like many are just riding the Peyton bandwagon. They don't have an appreciation for him, because they expect greatness. They expect to win a Superbowl because John Elway is going all-in. They expect to get a return on their cap space hit. The fans are frustrated Peyton is not doing that.

He's a heckuva football player for the age he is. When many other QB's have retired by now, he's still better than 95% of the other QB's in the league imo, and anyone who wants to get rid of him, I'd love to ask them who they have in mind who will give them a better chance at winning football games. Brock Osweiler?

Some fans seem unable to grasp just how hard it is to win a Superbowl. Every year 31 other teams have a forgettable season. Manning has been a victim of his own success. Every year his teams put up 12 wins and vie for a number one seed. Every year the expectation is Superbowl or bust. It's very difficult to win even one Superbowl.

I hope we hire him as a QB coach or something along those lines.

Some people are better players than teachers/coaches.  I think Manning is one of those, as evidence I offer how awful his backups are.  If he had coached even one QB up to be better, I would agree.

Some fans seem unable to grasp just how hard it is to win a Superbowl. Every year 31 other teams have a forgettable season. Manning has been a victim of his own success. Every year his teams put up 12 wins and vie for a number one seed. Every year the expectation is Superbowl or bust. It's very difficult to win even one Superbowl.

Yes, there is a factor of the stars being aligned properly

Look at us.  Our own fans have been massively critical of our team.......and yet here we are headed to the AFC championship.

Not too many would have predicted that

It was similar the year the colts won the superbowl.  Many many many naysayers

Why?  I think Clyde did ok with Peyton as the OC and seems to be doing ok with Andrew as the QB coach.  

There are very few all time greats who make good coaches, Larry Bird and ????  Not many.

I think Bird is a good comparison to Manning.  Both drew fans to their game.  I think many Boston fans lost interest in the Celtics after Bird retired.  Here in Indy, we have Luck, who is a great successor.  I hope the Manning fans remain football fans after he retires.

And I don't think Manning would make a good coach.

I can't speak for Denver fans, but reading the comments, it does seem like many are just riding the Peyton bandwagon. They don't have an appreciation for him, because they expect greatness. They expect to win a Superbowl because John Elway is going all-in. They expect to get a return on their cap space hit. The fans are frustrated Peyton is not doing that.

He's a heckuva football player for the age he is. When many other QB's have retired by now, he's still better than 95% of the other QB's in the league imo, and anyone who wants to get rid of him, I'd love to ask them who they have in mind who will give them a better chance at winning football games. Brock Osweiler?

He is still better then most QB'S out there

He will be back i think. He is better than anyone else they would be able to have next season

I don't think it is about that at all. I think for Peyton when he talked about self evaluation after the game, he is talking about judging himself and his level of play. If he can't play as close to as he once was, I think he hangs it up. I remember him saying that after the neck surgeries too.

I don't think it is about that at all. I think for Peyton when he talked about self evaluation after the game, he is talking about judging himself and his level of play. If he can't play as close to as he once was, I think he hangs it up. I remember him saying that after the neck surgeries too.

He had 39 tds this year. If his troubles down the stretch were due to the leg injury then i think he comes back. If he thinks the troubles are beyond repair, then i think he hangs them up

He had 39 tds this year. If his troubles down the stretch were due to the leg injury then i think he comes back. If he thinks the troubles are beyond repair, then i think he hangs them up

I agree. Although they said he was healthy heading into yesterday's game with the leg. His comments after the game make me think he is 50/50 but he does not have one ounce of Favre in him so I think he makes the decision quickly to let Elway figure out what to do next if he does indeed retire.

I hope we hire him as a QB coach or something along those lines.

Great players seldom make good coaches and knowing Peyton's work ethic I would not want him as my coach because somewhere out there is life during football unless your name is Peyton Manning. 

I hope he signs with the Colts on a 1 day contract and we do a big parade for him! :D

Poor guy, reading the reactions in Denver is just beyond disrespectful. Things like, "Peyton made me waste money going to New York, buy tickets just to the see the team get an * whooping" and "Get rid of Peyton, hes old and hes wasting our cap space" and "3 wasteful years...". Nevertheless the fans of 30 other teams.

Nobody will ever give Peyton the respect he deserves but Indianapolis Colts fans. Time to go home Peyton! :D

be nice sign for 1 day like we did saturday  are center .    doubt peyton retires tell brady does.  

Poor guy, reading the reactions in Denver is just beyond disrespectful. Things like, "Peyton made me waste money going to New York, buy tickets just to the see the team get an * whooping" and "Get rid of Peyton, hes old and hes wasting our cap space" and "3 wasteful years...". Nevertheless the fans of 30 other teams.

Maybe in 2017

How could Peyton not sign a one-day deal to retire with Indy? Far lesser (no offense) players do that all the time. I would put money down that it will happen when the time comes. 

I think jvan hit it right... if the thigh injury is what caused his sub-par (for him) second half, then maybe we see him back in 2015. If not, and if has doubts about anything from a physical standpoint, then he's done. I don't think the Broncos are going to show him the door though, mainly because there are no better options, and because firing Fox (not buying the "mutual parting of ways" story) is a significant enough shake-up to regroup for 2015. 

No, he can still sign a one day contract with indy if he chooses to

The way I understand it is IF he would play out his contract then choose to retire as a free agent, at that point he could choose to sign a one day contract with the Colts and retire as a Colt. But I thought if he chose to retire while still under contract with the Broncos he'd have to retire a Bronco. ???

The way I understand it is IF he would play out his contract then choose to retire as a free agent, at that point he could choose to sign a one day contract with the Colts and retire as a Colt. But I thought if he chose to retire while still under contract with the Broncos he'd have to retire a Bronco. ???

I think if he retires while with the Broncos his contract is ended. He can then unretire and sign a one day contact and retire with the Colts.

Truth be told I don't see it happening. Manning will do it once and let it be. Even if it is ceremonial I don't see it. Many Colts fans want something like this to happen, but I think the only relationship he has left with the Colts is the ceremony for jersey retirement/ring of honor/statue if there is to be one.

I just feel a lot of fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. He had his good-bye, twice actually, to the fans already.

I think if he retires while with the Broncos his contract is ended. He can then unretire and sign a one day contact and retire with the Colts.

Truth be told I don't see it happening. Manning will do it once and let it be. Even if it is ceremonial I don't see it. Many Colts fans want something like this to happen, but I think the only relationship he has left with the Colts is the ceremony for jersey retirement/ring of honor/statue if there is to be one.

I just feel a lot of fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. He had his good-bye, twice actually, to the fans already.

he saying is he retire a bronco  and then a colt , remember  brett favre . 

:agree:      That's been my feeling too.   I guess time will tell.

I doubt that the Broncos would mind releasing Manning were that his wish.

I think the cap hit would pose a big problem for this to happen.

Will they necessarily take a cap hit if he retires?  Couldn't the Broncos need to trade him to the Colts, and THEN he could retire? 

It has no impact. They carry a cap penalty of $2.5m/year in 2015 and 2016, or just $5m in 2015, whether they release him or he retires. Him signing a 1-day to retire as a Colt is completely unrelated.

It has no impact. They carry a cap penalty of $2.5m/year in 2015 and 2016, or just $5m in 2015, whether they release him or he retires. Him signing a 1-day to retire as a Colt is completely unrelated.

True.  It all comes down to "is this what he will want to do".  None of us know that answer.