Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard

DoubleE Colt

Goodbye....we cannot afford to have him go to IR again partway thru the season.

We need durable RBs who are still playing at this time of year...guys like Ballard and Bradshaw will be long gone and cost the team a starting roster spot at the beginning of the season.

So after 2 seasons wiped out by serious injury what's the feeling on Vick Ballard moving forward? Will he be cut or with our well documented RB issues be given a shot next season after showing some promise in his rookie year?

Im assuming he gets cut, two serious injures in back to back seasons isnt really screaming im a durable productive player. with the addition of Boom. I think it makes him expendable. 

Bring him to camp, see what happens. His right knee should be in great shape by now. He tore his left Achilles. For football players, that's typically a 10-12 month recovery, which means he could be ready by camp. If not, keep him on PUP, shelve him for the start of the season, and see if he can come back in mid-October.

I'm more concerned with Mathis' recovery. His Achilles injury was in early September. He might not be ready for camp.

Bring him to camp, see what happens. His right knee should be in great shape by now. He tore his left Achilles. For football players, that's typically a 10-12 month recovery, which means he could be ready by camp. If not, keep him on PUP, shelve him for the start of the season, and see if he can come back in mid-October.

I'm more concerned with Mathis' recovery. His Achilles injury was in early September. He might not be ready for camp.

Mathis is an absolute warrior, but I expect to see the Colts coaches to be relatively cautious with him. I highly doubt we see Mathis until week 1 of the 2015 season.

After just ONE solid--not exceptional--season, and two seasons lost to injury, I'd say he's a long shot to ever be the dynamic back the Colts need to really make a difference in the run game. However, if the Colts come to their senses and either demote or cut T-Rich AND Balard can come back and stay back, then he might make a decent RB2. But those are some big IF's.

No reason NOT to bring in Ballard....   he's already on an affordable contract.

If he's not showing anything and the coaches/trainers think he never will,  then it's as simple as cutting him.

But, if he's not showing much and the coaches/trainers think he will, but he just needs a little more time,  then he's put on the PUP list.  

It costs the Colts next to nothing to see how Ballard looks next summer.

Same with Bradshaw.....    we didn't sign him until late both years.     We can do that again if need be.