Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL won us the game best performance of the season!

AndrewQB1

You are out of your mind.      Holmes has played how many snaps?  And he is this teams "best OLmen" ??    That is just a ridiculous statement. 

This teams best linemen when healthy are AC, Gos, and then Mew...   after that ..   ??

If this line could stay healthy they are not all that bad a group..   but when you start 12 different combinations over 17 games there will be some "issues" ..   Indy will resign AC, Gos will be 31 at the start of next season and Mew is a pup.     Upgrade RG and the depth and this line will be fine.   

No Castonzo is not. They even kicked him in as a guard. If you can't stay in your natural position during a game there's a problem.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me this is the best game Andrew has ever had. His use of the short game was his best ever. Very Promising.

No Rich was Awesome.

Reitz rubbed it in Most of your know it all faces. And Holmes IS our best O-Lineman just as i said he would be.

Yes. Im so dang glad he started looking around and using his dump off. I've been expressing vigorously to him to do that these past several weeks. Also glad to see run lanes for a change.

Yep and as stated earlier Gos played very well last season, the fact the team just IR'd him says a lot about his situation this season. And after seeing Nixon in the Dallas game it is no wonder the team tried to make it through the season with Gos playing hurt. Goes to show us all how the team feels about our depth at OL.

It must be addressed full out this off season. I would not mind Indy bringing in another T and G at least. Reitz is capable as a backup but it seems he is always hurt. Gotta get some depth in this area.

before you can get depth you have to have starters I think we are short at least one starter at right guard.

Holmes played well all game, he is strong enough to handle the one on one battles (which he did very well) and has quick enough feet to quickly move to help the guards and he doesn't do that annoying head bob that both Harrison and Shipley would do, giving away the snap.  AC was his usual  superb self.  Did a great job run blocking and an even better job pass blocking.  Mewhort is showing that he is going to be a long time starter in the NFL.  He's not flashy but he does just about everything well.  LL had a good game, worked well with Holmes and did a good job helping Reitz out a couple of times when it looked like Dunlap had him beat.  Reitz played out of position and it showed but he held his own and went against Cincy's only pass rush threat most of the game and didn't allow a sack.

Yes it was Cincy so no they weren't really tested with a great pass rush or great blitzing team.  But the Colts can't control that, all they can do is beat the guy across from them and most of the time yesterday they did that.  Can't really ask for anything more.

CF, so you really thought Holmes played well?  I thought he was loosing his balance way too often, though he did improve as the game wore on.  I think he's strong though.  Wasn't being pushed back at all (on the plays he didn't lose his balance).  I will have to re-watch the game.

CF, so you really thought Holmes played well?  I thought he was loosing his balance way too often, though he did improve as the game wore on.  I think he's strong though.  Wasn't being pushed back at all (on the plays he didn't lose his balance).  I will have to re-watch the game.

Holmes got beat early I believe it was 6 times in the 1st Quarter pretty bad, Mostly because of balance from what I saw to, Though once I think he just got beat by Peko cause of strength

Holmes got beat early I believe it was 6 times in the 1st Quarter pretty bad, Mostly because of balance from what I saw to, Though once I think he just got beat by Peko cause of strength

Yeah, that's what I remember.  

Bring what back to reality...The Bengals are a NFL team right, with PAID professional players right?

Yes, they sure are. But you can't disregard. So even though they are getting paid, some are getting paid thousands and some are getting paid millions for a reason. So again, I'm bringing those back to reality who think we played a team like the Seahawks or Lions defense.

You might not like him but he's still our best lineman.  We really don't have a right guard, a lot of people want our right tackle out of there and Holmes was not even dressing for games when we were starting an undrafted rookie free agent and frankly I need a bigger sample from him than three starts before I am ready to say he's our answer center let alone our best lineman.  That leaves Mewhort who has had a very good season for a rookie and who I think we have found something in for our starting left guard but he's still not better than Castonzo. 

This is all true!!

Yeah, I do.  I haven't rewatched the game and if I get a chance I may change my mind, but I saw he was starting and I paid close attention to him and I thought several times during the game... that is how a center is supposed to play that and how did he get there so quickly... etc.

There were mistakes, that is to be expected, he's playing in is what 3rd game as a pro and it's a playoff game against one of the better DTs in the game in Atkinson.  But my initial thought after the game was that is I was grading him I would have had him at about an 86-88 which with 68 offensive plays is 8-9 times he was beat.  You want those scores in the 90+ percentage for a veteran but I will take it.  Usually I had Harrison in 75-80 range in most games and Shipley in the 83-86 range most of the time with a couple of games in the 90s.

Go rewatch the game. He played guard on a few plays.

are you sure they weren't in an unbalanced line at the time?  When they go to an unbalanced line, they have typically moved Castonzo away from LT over to the strong side.

are you sure they weren't in an unbalanced line at the time? When they go to an unbalanced line, they have typically moved Castonzo away from LT over to the strong side.

He played guard during those unbalanced lines. Reitz was a LT during the plays. I'm not going to look for clips. Takes to much time that I don't have. AC was at guard though during plays.

He played guard during those unbalanced lines. Reitz was a LT during the plays. I'm not going to look for clips. Takes to much time that I don't have. AC was at guard though during plays.

But the point is,  that happens on certain unbalanced line plays.    It's by design and the purpose is to confuse and fool the defense, even if only for a moment.

The way you post it, you make it seem as if Castanzo isn't good and that the Colts are trying to hid him, and they're not.

Castanzo is the team's best lineman and starting LT.      You even have a post where you say it was "a few plays"....

What conclusions are you trying to draw?     A few plays out of roughly 70 means nothing.

You make the claim and then can't provide proof?

In an unbalanced line it's not that the tackle on the strong side becomes a guard it's the line is now, tackle, tackle, guard, center, guard... Thus the reason it is "unbalanced".

Speaking of the O-Line... What is the status of Hugh Thornton?

I thought he was a lot stronger and quicker this year.

If he could have avoided the injuries, and can he be back for the Super Bowl? (Should I be optimistic?)

Thornton was placed on Injured Reserve so no, he can't come back at any time this season. 

You make the claim and then can't provide proof?

In an unbalanced line it's not that the tackle on the strong side becomes a guard it's the line is now, tackle, tackle, guard, center, guard... Thus the reason it is "unbalanced".

He was in at guard. I have nothing to prove. I just don't time with moving and getting a new job.

He was in at guard. I have nothing to prove. I just don't time with moving and getting a new job.

you missed the point though.  Castonzo moves whenever the Colts go to an unbalanced line.  They've been doing that all season long. 

On the first part, yes you do.  Obviously you don't have to, it's a fan board but it's usually the responsibility of the person making the claim to provide the proof of that claim.

On the last part...  I hope the new job and move is a good thing for you and it's what you wanted.  After having gone through it myself about 3 years ago, I understand what you are going through.  Best of luck with it and congratulations.

On the first part, yes you do.  Obviously you don't have to, it's a fan board but it's usually the responsibility of the person making the claim to provide the proof of that claim.

On the last part...  I hope the new job and move is a good thing for you and it's what you wanted.  After having gone through it myself about 3 years ago, I understand what you are going through.  Best of luck with it and congratulations.

Thank you and once I have time I'll go through the Cinni game.