Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Ravens Are Mad At Us

oldunclemark

from the Ravens website......

Ravens Trying To Crack Colts Defense

Baltimore hasn’t scored a touchdown versus Indy in the past three years.

Posted by Ryan Mink on Friday, December 9th, 2011 at 10:44 am

The Ravens have lost eight straight games to Indianapolis.

9_NoColtTDs_news.jpg

But half of those games came before the John Harbaugh era, before most of the current players were on the roster.

There is a troubling trend since 2008, however. That’s not being able to score touchdowns against the Colts’ defense.

Over the past three years, the Ravens have been shut out of the end zone. They scored three points in two meetings and 15 on another via five field goals.

“We have not ever fared well against them since we’ve been here,” Harbaugh said.

“We’ve turned the ball over, we didn’t run the ball on them, we’ve gotten sacked, [and] we’ve had plays for negative yards. It’s been a theme against that defense. So, we’ve got our work cut out for us. We understand that.”

The Colts are primarily a zone coverage team. They’ve done a good job in dropping linebackers in coverage and having two high safeties. They turn loose defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis to get pass pressure.

They held running back Ray Rice to 23 rushing yards in 2008. He had 71 yards on 20 carries in their regular-season meeting of 2009 and had 67 yards on 13 carries in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Without many opportunities to go deep, quarterback Joe Flacco has been handcuffed and often forced into check-downs. While he’s completed 66 percent of his passes, Flacco has averaged only 229 passing yards per game.

His primary problem has been interceptions. He’s thrown six in his three games against Indianapolis.

Flacco said the Colts have been able to read his eyes, read the ball and then attack it since they’re in zone coverage.

“They’ve limited us in having big plays,” Flacco said. “So, I think our biggest challenge is to just go in there and play with that kind of intensity and that kind of speed, so we can limit that a little bit.”

The Colts defense isn’t exactly the same this year, however. They lost starting safety Melvin Bullitt and linebacker Gary Brackett to season-ending injuries in the season’s first two weeks. They lost defensive tackle Eric Foster in Week 4.

Indianapolis’ defense is now ranked 28th and is allowing the most points per game (29.8) in the NFL. Its rush defense is 30th, allowing 144.2 yards per game. Its pass defense is 22nd (242.9 yards per game).

“They’ve had some injuries,” Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron said. “Who hasn’t at this point in time of the season?

“They have a sound scheme. They get people to the ball, and they have, I think, two of the premier pass-rushing guys[Freeney and Mathis] in the history of the game. What more could you want?”

The Ravens are always fired up for this game, their fans demand it and they clearly haven't forgotten recent failures. This will be an interesting game considering the Ravens have overlooked bad teams and paid for it. But I wouldn't be surprised if Haurbaugh shows them past games to get them fired up. The Ravens have all the ammunition to come out and annihilate the Colts and I am betting they use it.

The Ravens are always mad at us. Every time we play, it's "this is revenge for taking our football team". Then we beat them and they say nothing until the next time we play, where again, it's revenge...to them, we aren't the Colts, we are the Indianapolis Professional Football Team

With that said, I do like the Ravens and wouldn't be upset to see them win the Super Bowl

Ravens are a tough team. Their D can be brutal and Ray Rice can run the ball well. Hopefully our D can keep the pressure while stopping the run. Ideally, we can run the ball and if Dan can play like he did last week, it may not be as bad

I actually don't think it's the Ravens players that are mad at us, it's their office and their fans. It's been almost 30 years. When they refuse to call the team the Indianapolis Colts, which is what they are, it makes them look childish.

The Ravens are always mad at us. Every time we play, it's "this is revenge for taking our football team". Then we beat them and they say nothing until the next time we play, where again, it's revenge...to them, we aren't the Colts, we are the Indianapolis Professional Football Team

With that said, I do like the Ravens and wouldn't be upset to see them win the Super Bowl

This is true..Supe...and Gwin..

They really havent gotten over the whole move thing and I'm sure anything they can do to help us go 0-16...

...the Baltimore fans will egg them on to crush us....as badly as they can..

As the game approaches I'm a little concerned that, with half our secondary out, the massacre we feared last week...may be hours away..

I love the 6th grade mentality of putting "Indianapolis" on the scoreboard instead of "Colts"...really? It's only been 28 years now, and your Ravens were ripped from Cleveland in similar fashion...get over it already. The Star has their annual (or near annual) article about how the old time Baltimore fans will never forgive the Colts for leaving in the middle of the night. Well B-more, had you supported the team more, and had the city agreed to even modest refurbishments to a crumbling Memorial Stadium, AND had you not pulled the "eminent domain" crap at the last minute, the Colts would still probably be in Baltimore...then again, Bob Irsay was a nut so who knows....but get over it already

I hope they come out and play like they did against Tennessee and Jax....they've been kind of up and down all year. They were down big to Arizona and had to claw back for a last minute win. I think they win but it won't be a bloodbath if we can contain Ray Rice....Their D is still fierce but missing a few pieces...Hopefully Peyton has helped Orlovsky this week with their D, Manning has always found a way to shred them...I am hoping for a miracle win (not as sweet as beating the Pats would have been but dang close)....And that said, even one of their LBs was on local radio today saying if the Ravens win it's with an asterisk b/c Manning isn't playing. I can't remember his name, but he was with the Bears when the Colts beat them in the SB, so he's never been on a team that's beaten Manning (his words)

Has anyone ever been to Baltimore? It is nothing to jump for joy about. Let them me bad and sulk around in their stink-hole of a city.

I've never been to Indianapolis, but I have a feeling it's not the greatest city in the world (no offense to ppl living in Indy).

I hope they come out and play like they did against Tennessee and Jax....they've been kind of up and down all year. They were down big to Arizona and had to claw back for a last minute win. I think they win but it won't be a bloodbath if we can contain Ray Rice....Their D is still fierce but missing a few pieces...Hopefully Peyton has helped Orlovsky this week with their D, Manning has always found a way to shred them...I am hoping for a miracle win (not as sweet as beating the Pats would have been but dang close)....And that said, even one of their LBs was on local radio today saying if the Ravens win it's with an asterisk b/c Manning isn't playing. I can't remember his name, but he was with the Bears when the Colts beat them in the SB, so he's never been on a team that's beaten Manning (his words)

That would be Brendon Ayanbadejo

Baltimore's obsession to this may seem pretty lame to some but I understand their attachment to the Colts name. It's tied to Baltimore. They were called the "Colts" because the Preakness is there. Also the "horseshoe" on the helmet is a lucky charm...ties into their "Charm City" nickname as well as the horse racing connection. Whether we like it or not, the only Colts name that will be recognized and displayed at their stadium is that of the Baltimore Colts, who they embrace as their past along with the Ravens who embody the future of Baltimore football. It is just how it is.

That said, I think the Indianapolis Colts will upset the Baltimore Ravens in Charm City tomorrow. If they can find a way to stumble their way to a win this year, it would probably be against the Ravens. :D

That's great! One of the very few teams that actually has a problem with our defense, hahah!!!!!!!!!! Makes me smile..

That right there says why the Ravens haven't been able to beat us if the Colts DEFENSE is what gives you problems you are in big trouble, almost as much trouble as we are in without Manning...