Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Is Anthony Costanzo Playing?

oldunclemark

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the scouting report on Castonzo coming out of College. Fast DE's get around him . The problem is that I think he actually has decent technique and footwork but, he's just slow. This will probably continue to be a problem for him because you can't teach speed.

I dont think it has to do with speed, just footwork. His footwork needs to get better, or else that speedy pass rusher wouldnt get around him so easily

This was the scouting report on Castonzo coming out of College. Fast DE's get around him . The problem is that I think he actually has decent technique and footwork but, he's just slow. This will probably continue to be a problem for him because you can't teach speed.

He is a pretty fast LT if I remember right, he wanted to be the fastest one at the 2011 NFL combine. He posted solid numbers I think. He just needs to improve as a player and learn how to improve his technique and footwork while adding some more strength.

I believe some of you are critiquing him to much. You gotta remember he's a rookie LT. He's going to get burnt. If anyone here honestly didn't see him getting schooled by Suggs or any other probowl pass rusher this year then you gotta be blind. He's going to get torched at times. It's pretty much set in stone for any rookie LT. I didn't expect him to light anyone of Suggs' caliber up and make them invisible. It's better he go through these growing pains early, because it would be alot worse if this was 3-4 years into his career and it's still happening. Got to give him time just like almost every young O-lineman or D-lineman.

I believe some of you are critiquing him to much. You gotta remember he's a rookie LT. He's going to get burnt. If anyone here honestly didn't see him getting schooled by Suggs or any other probowl pass rusher this year then you gotta be blind. He's going to get torched at times. It's pretty much set in stone for any rookie LT. I didn't expect him to light anyone of Suggs' caliber up and make them invisible. It's better he go through these growing pains early, because it would be alot worse if this was 3-4 years into his career and it's still happening. Got to give him time just like almost every young O-lineman or D-lineman.

Correct and very well said.

He was thrown in vs. the Bucs and did play well.

We aren't going to move Castonzo why would we move our first round pick who is a LT to RT for our secound round pick? On top of that we would then pretty much be looking to a rookie (Ijalana only got like half a game of action) to once again protect the blindside of either our new rookie QB or our older QB coming off major neck surgery.

If Castonzo was going to be a RT we would have started him at RT since Link seems to do better at LT anyways. Despite what some think it's not always easy to change from LT to RT and Castonzo has had most of the year to learn the LT spot. He was drafted to be our LT for years to come not be moved to RT. I don't know why people love the idea of moving him around so much.

after our draft, many a so called analyst saId while Castonzo had start now ability, Ijalana from a lesser school / division had far more upside & may eventually play LT and Cast moved to right once learns NFL caliber play

I recall the year where Tarik glen moved over to the right side for his rookie season (didn't report to camp=punishment) and Meadows who was drafted same year moved to the LT spot and the following year they flip flopped and it all worked out very well. You never know what a new coaching staff, if employed, might do with the talent and evaluating them but it is not inconceivable that Ijalana get a try at LT and Constanza moves to the right. I think under this leadership now, no way they try something different unless forced because of injury and even hen, if it worked well, they would switch right back and make it more inferrior. I think Constanza will be ok, maybe not super dominant but he should be better than what we have put out there since Glenn retired. We just really don't know what we have with Ijalana because he couldn't play better or the staff couldn't see that he was better than putting Linkenbach at the RT spot this year. A half of any game does not make you great or bad so we sill have to wait for next season. I pray we have a new coaching staff across the board, we need new direction in every aspect of this team.

The jury is still out on Costanza. A lot of people had pegged him as the next coming of Tony Boselli or Tarik Glenn even before he played a down of NFL football. The reality is he has been an average tackle at best. He has not played to the level of other good tackles did as rookies - such as Joe Thomas or Joe Staley. Some are calling him and this Colts draft class to be outstanding, I believe it is too soon to say this guy is going to be good or great. Costanza is slow, and I don't believe his footwork can improve to the level that it will compensate for him being that slow afoot. Suggs schooled him because he was, by far, the better player.

Suggs schooled him because he was, by far, the better player.

Is this any surprise?! Suggs is a 4 time Pro Bowler and universally acknowledged as one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, Castonzo on the other hand is a rookie who missed several games with injury.

I like Castonzo personally and hope he continues to improve with experience.

Is this any surprise?! Suggs is a 4 time Pro Bowler and universally acknowledged as one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, Castonzo on the other hand is a rookie who missed several games with injury.

I like Castonzo personally and hope he continues to improve with experience.

The surprise is how easily Suggs beat him. He got by Costanzo using every move in the book - bull rush, speed rush - Costanzo had no answer (except holding). Rookie or not Suggs beat him badly and a lot of us was expecting more from a number 1 pick.

It wasn't just Suggs thats the worst part! And when it was Suggs, Suggs beat him with speed, Suggs beat him with power, and Suggs beat him by flat out out-smarting Castonzo. I am glad I made the comments I did days before the game, Castonzo has a lot of positive attributes, but he does not look like a first round draft pick, he looks like a great piece to the line, who should play RT, where he won't face as many fast and elite pass rushers!

so...we all llove castonzo all season long, and when he has a bad game we all go "well he isnt as good... he is a rt, he is ok but thats it" jesus christ people ith appens to the best, ive seen freeney school some all pro T, who are not rookies! suggs is one of the best.

people should focus more on the fact that clyde gave castonzo 0 help. that tells you 2 things: the team has confidence in him and our coaches suck.

every sack was a 1 on 1 vs suggs, you telling me after the 1st sack MAYBE the second he cuoldnt adjust? pfft.

He is slowwww, has mediocre at best foot-work, cannot handle speed rushers, and is more suited to play RT with his athletic and physical abilities. Good in pass coverage against power rushers, excels in run blocking, fits more of the mold of a RT, who typically aren't selected in the first round...

The jury is still out on Costanza. A lot of people had pegged him as the next coming of Tony Boselli or Tarik Glenn even before he played a down of NFL football. The reality is he has been an average tackle at best. He has not played to the level of other good tackles did as rookies - such as Joe Thomas or Joe Staley. Some are calling him and this Colts draft class to be outstanding, I believe it is too soon to say this guy is going to be good or great. Costanza is slow, and I don't believe his footwork can improve to the level that it will compensate for him being that slow afoot. Suggs schooled him because he was, by far, the better player.

This is inaccurate. You can't compare a #3 overall pick at LT in Joe Thomas who could have been the #1 pick to the #22 pick in Anthony Castonzo like that. Do you expect Castonzo to play at the same level as Thomas in his rookie season? If so your expectations are too high.

so...we all llove castonzo all season long, and when he has a bad game we all go "well he isnt as good... he is a rt, he is ok but thats it" jesus christ people ith appens to the best, ive seen freeney school some all pro T, who are not rookies! suggs is one of the best.

people should focus more on the fact that clyde gave castonzo 0 help. that tells you 2 things: the team has confidence in him and our coaches suck.

every sack was a 1 on 1 vs suggs, you telling me after the 1st sack MAYBE the second he cuoldnt adjust? pfft.

No! Don't say that! People will start to realize that he is just a rookie who is making rookie mistakes! Don't let the truth get out!

He is slowwww, has mediocre at best foot-work, cannot handle speed rushers, and is more suited to play RT with his athletic and physical abilities. Good in pass coverage against power rushers, excels in run blocking, fits more of the mold of a RT, who typically aren't selected in the first round...

If you care to look at the college scouting report BmoreColt... He is a very good pass blocker who needs to put on more strength. He is an okay run blocker. He is good with speed rushers but struggles against powerful pass rushers. That's what I remember from his scouting report.

You basically just said the complete opposite of that...

after our draft, many a so called analyst saId while Castonzo had start now ability, Ijalana from a lesser school / division had far more upside & may eventually play LT and Cast moved to right once learns NFL caliber play

I have never heard anyone say Ijalana might have more upside than Castonzo. I heard people say he was a project pick who needed to be developed but I also heard everyone who watched the Colts draft say that he would be developed to be our right tackle after we drafted Castonzo. You don't just flip guys on the sides of the line left and right unless you are forced too. Everytime you hear the Colts talk about Castonzo they keep saying he's our left tackle of the future. They don't have plans to move him. They aren't going to do it. They will slide Ijalana in at right tackle and let him learn that poistion and be our right tackle of the future and we should have the taclke poistions locked down for the next 7 to 10 years. Now we just need to sure up the middle of the line.

I have never heard anyone say Ijalana might have more upside than Castonzo. I heard people say he was a project pick who needed to be developed but I also heard everyone who watched the Colts draft say that he would be developed to be our right tackle after we drafted Castonzo. You don't just flip guys on the sides of the line left and right unless you are forced too. Everytime you hear the Colts talk about Castonzo they keep saying he's our left tackle of the future. They don't have plans to move him. They aren't going to do it. They will slide Ijalana in at right tackle and let him learn that poistion and be our right tackle of the future and we should have the taclke poistions locked down for the next 7 to 10 years. Now we just need to sure up the middle of the line.

haha, I think I heard someone on NFL network, actually maybe Mel Kiper but I don't remember, say that Ijalana might become the colts LT and Castonzo plays RT during the draft. But then you think about it and say, "Why would you draft a RT in the 1st round and a LT in the 2nd round?" You can use the he wasn't ready to become a LT argument, but what about Tyron Smith, he isn't ready to play LT but he was picked #9 overall before Castonzo.

Ijalana was a project type pick, because he had the ability to paly Guard or Tackle. He doesn't have to switch sides he could play LG. And Castonzo is much better suited to paly RT, I don't care where he was drafted, (round) what Bill "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TALENT IS" Polian says he is, obviously Bill has mis evaluated talent on the Colts for many years, but he says Tackle so its only Tackle.. although many had Ijalana being a project because he could play LT or LG!

This is one position I will not back down from, I know 100% i had read that as it stuck out at me quite vividly, I am not saying my memory is not infallible but without a doubt in this case I read it, Yes a project as u say but with upside that may very well lead him to supplant Cast as the LT eventually as his learning curve matures

Now as to how many said that , That i really don't know but did read it from at least 2 sources or would of dismissed it, so maybe i shouldn't have used the word MANY but a few analysts instead, that I will admit

Pats OT pick , believe was sherrod , also was supposed to have more upside, he was taken before Cast,

This is one position I will not back down from, I know 100% i had read that as it stuck out at me quite vividly, I am not saying my memory is not infallible but without a doubt in this case I read it, Yes a project as u say but with upside that may very well lead him to supplant Cast as the LT eventually as his learning curve matures

Now as to how many said that , That i really don't know but did read it from at least 2 sources or would of dismissed it, so maybe i shouldn't have used the word MANY but a few analysts instead, that I will admit

Okay I know I haven't heard it, doesn't mean it's not out there. Like I said I laid out what I heard. Everything I've heard says that once Ijalana was drafted behind Castonzo he would be groomed from right tackle with Castonzo being the left tackle. Maybe what you say was before the draft where people thought he would be drafted to be groomed for the left tackle of the future for a team. Since we drafted Castonzo to be our left tackle of the future it didn't make sense here for him to play left tackle here.

Add to that listen to anyone with the Colts get asked about Castonzo they keep saying he is our left tackle of the future. It doesn't sound like they are even thinking about moving Ijalana to left tackle and moving Castonzo to right tackle. The only people who keep suggesting that are fans and last time I checked we don't get a vote.

With that said it doesn't make much sense to groom a guy at left tackle for a full season and then move him to right tackle and make him learn that poistion all over while we stick a guy who is coming off IR and played about a half of football making him pretty much a rookie and sticking him in there at left tackle. You play guys at poistions you want them to play on the line. If that wasn't the case we would have moved Diem from right tackle to left tackle after Glenn left because he knew the tackle poistion better and was a better tackle than Johnson or the unkown rookie Ugoh. They didn't because Diem had spent all this time at right tackle and knew moving him to left tackle now ment he had to learn the left tackle spot and have someone else learn right tackle now making new holes in the system. Samething here, Castonzo has spent most of a year learning left tackle moving him to right tackle means he would have to relearn that poistion while now you would have Ijalana learning left tackling meaning we pretty much wasted Castonzo's rookie season.

Where did you get the we part from? There was/is a lot of people who didn't think Castonzo was all that great when he was drafted. It was just the Polian kool-aid drinkers who bought into his greatness because Polian drafted the kid.

Where did you get the we part from? There was/is a lot of people who didn't think Castonzo was all that great when he was drafted. It was just the Polian kool-aid drinkers who bought into his greatness because Polian drafted the kid.

This is garbage.

Castonzo was highly rated coming out of BC, he had great workouts and great interviews, and he's always been considered a good long-term prospect. You can read pre-draft profiles of him from various independent outlets, marked with high praise. He had a great week at the Senior Bowl, solidifying his draft stock as a first rounder. Some considered him the best, but he was routinely called the second best left tackle prospect, only behind Tyron Smith (who's playing right tackle this year). Most draft projections had us taking Nate Solder, only because Castonzo was assumed to go higher than he did.

He got his butt kicked yesterday. Gave up a lot of pressure. Probably his worst game so far. I don't blame him for the fumbles because the quarterback needs to keep two hands on the ball, but he certainly gave up the pressure. The holding call was bogus, I thought. This is against a great pass rusher, of course, and he's a rookie who has been in and out of the lineup because of injuries. He'll be fine. Rookie left tackles have games like this sometimes, even the best ones. Jake Long had games like this as a rookie. Joe Thomas as well.

It's not a "Polian kool-aid drinker" issue. Castonzo got high marks from everyone, and he's a good player. For you, this is a "I'm gonna bash him because it's a Polian pick" issue.

Of course, that's not the case. You mentioned already that the jury is still out on him. Of course it is. He might never be better than he is right now. One of the knocks against him before the draft was that he's susceptible to the speed rush, he struggles in space, and his upside might not be as high as a guy like Smith, or Solder (Gabe Carimi had similar questions as Castonzo, if I remember correctly). I don't think anyone is proclaiming him to be the next great left tackle. But there's reason for optimism when you draft a guy who is rated as high as Castonzo was and who has the experience he has.

You make it seem like anyone who says anything positive about the kid is only in his corner because he's a Polian pick. And that's astoundingly unfair. Just like it's unfair of me to say that any criticism of him is only because you hate Bill Polian. In reality, feelings for Polian have nothing to do with liking Anthony Castonzo.

Okay I know I haven't heard it, doesn't mean it's not out there. Like I said I laid out what I heard. Everything I've heard says that once Ijalana was drafted behind Castonzo he would be groomed from right tackle with Castonzo being the left tackle. Maybe what you say was before the draft where people thought he would be drafted to be groomed for the left tackle of the future for a team. Since we drafted Castonzo to be our left tackle of the future it didn't make sense here for him to play left tackle here.

Add to that listen to anyone with the Colts get asked about Castonzo they keep saying he is our left tackle of the future. It doesn't sound like they are even thinking about moving Ijalana to left tackle and moving Castonzo to right tackle. The only people who keep suggesting that are fans and last time I checked we don't get a vote.

With that said it doesn't make much sense to groom a guy at left tackle for a full season and then move him to right tackle and make him learn that poistion all over while we stick a guy who is coming off IR and played about a half of football making him pretty much a rookie and sticking him in there at left tackle. You play guys at poistions you want them to play on the line. If that wasn't the case we would have moved Diem from right tackle to left tackle after Glenn left because he knew the tackle poistion better and was a better tackle than Johnson or the unkown rookie Ugoh. They didn't because Diem had spent all this time at right tackle and knew moving him to left tackle now ment he had to learn the left tackle spot and have someone else learn right tackle now making new holes in the system. Samething here, Castonzo has spent most of a year learning left tackle moving him to right tackle means he would have to relearn that poistion while now you would have Ijalana learning left tackling meaning we pretty much wasted Castonzo's rookie season.

It was after the draft, i actually didnt know much about him before the draft at all,

However I didnt mean to imply he was destined for the LT once he learned all , merely that he had that much upside it was said it was possible he may at sometime in the future be that skilled & end up as our LT and switch with castonzo & none of that was the Colt Possition , that was only the few analysts I read that said it, the Colts as u said Drafted Cast as the LT and Ijlana as RT hopefully and possibly switchable as a guard during the learning process, as could play both well from how i remember that

Ijalana was a project type pick, because he had the ability to paly Guard or Tackle. He doesn't have to switch sides he could play LG. And Castonzo is much better suited to paly RT, I don't care where he was drafted, (round) what Bill "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TALENT IS" Polian says he is, obviously Bill has mis evaluated talent on the Colts for many years, but he says Tackle so its only Tackle.. although many had Ijalana being a project because he could play LT or LG!

again, I dont meant to single you out but why is, in general, that people are so sure that Ijalana would play G? he has played all his college career as a LT, i know there were reports that said he would fit as a G but honestly, why change him? its not like he is so big and slow, as a matter of fact one of those analysts, Mike mayock, labeled him as a Dancing Bear, like he had the feet to play T. my point is, dont just go with "he would be a good G " because some analyst says that, cause i can bet you could find another analyst that would tell you he is a T not a G.

and whoever was asking, it was Gruden and Mel kiper on espn who said that Ijalana could end up being our Lt and castonzo RT. i dont see it happening but who knows? It would be a pleasant surprise.

This is garbage.

Castonzo was highly rated coming out of BC, he had great workouts and great interviews, and he's always been considered a good long-term prospect.

It's not a "Polian kool-aid drinker" issue. Castonzo got high marks from everyone, and he's a good player. For you, this is a "I'm gonna bash him because it's a Polian pick" issue.

Definitely there was no question he would be a 1st round pick & many were surprised he lasted as long as he did

and whoever was asking, it was Gruden and Mel kiper on espn who said that Ijalana could end up being our Lt and castonzo RT. i dont see it happening but who knows? It would be a pleasant surprise.

Thank you, better memory than me

--------------------------------------------------------

Cast is also versatile , I think he played all positions but center in the senior bowl

lol as long as you can bash Pollian for everything right?

From what I remember it was only Gabe Carimini that had a question whether he could play LT and was always considered a perfect fit for a team at RT and Bears started him there but he got hurt

Forgot who it was drafted by the cowboys, he was first tackle off the board , who played RT in College , think he is also hurt, but is so strong and a gifted athlete they said he may make the switch but also think he started at RT before being hurt

Tyron smith

Thats the one Cowboys took, what a quick rise he had up the draft boards during the time preceding the dradt based on his natural athletic gifts and pure strength

, awesome pure strong athlete, remember pre draft videos of him taking entire DL from the right side and collapsing them left as runner went right, was astonishing

Thats the one Cowboys took, what a quick rise he had up the draft boards during the time preceding the dradt based on his natural athletic gifts and pure strength

, awesome pure strong athlete, remember pre draft videos of him taking entire DL from the right side and collapsing them left as runner went right, was astonishing

Yes, Tyron Smith was a very good tackle in college. He played right tackle because Charles Brown was playing left tackle already. He can play either side, but he's playing right tackle for the Cowboys this year. Who knows what they do with him moving forward.

all this talk about getting beat by a speed rush will be a thing of the past when manning is playing again. he will feel it, step up, the de will pass behind him, and get rid of the ball. just like he has done for the past 10 years. i can see it now, all the posters here saying how much better costanzo is in pass protection next year.

it's tough to judge line play with a bad qb sitting in the pocket.