Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Is Anthony Costanzo Playing?

oldunclemark

he will get whatever qb we have in hurt, he is slow and cumbersome, shouldnt have been a first rounder. another bust

If you are referring to Castonzo, you are CLEARLY on something.

Castonzo was the first person to admit that he is weak against the speed rushers. That was also in an evaluation i saw on him. So your saying him getting his butt handed to him by a veteran SPEED RUSHING olb qualifies him as a bust?? Terrel Suggs is a freak, so for Castonzo to play the way he did, i was impressed. For a rookie LT, arguably one of the hardest positions to play in the NFL, i would say he is playing like a first round pick. Think of it like this, the kid has to go up against the two best speed rushers in the NFL during practice. After one more season of practice, i would say he will play like Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

The dude has SKILL, and he's super smart to boot. Give him time, i say by his third year, he will be a top tier LT in this league.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After one more season of practice, i would say he will play like Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

Why is that? Because those were the two OT names you could come up with?

Why don't you take a look at what those two did there rookie years, then find out how ridiculous your comments are, especially Joe Thomas. Constanzo couldnt hold Thomas lunch pail.

all this talk about getting beat by a speed rush will be a thing of the past when manning is playing again. he will feel it, step up, the de will pass behind him, and get rid of the ball. just like he has done for the past 10 years. i can see it now, all the posters here saying how much better costanzo is in pass protection next year.

it's tough to judge line play with a bad qb sitting in the pocket.

That will only cover up for Castonzo's flaws, Manning has been doing that for most of the team his entire career!

Why is that? Because those were the two OT names you could come up with?

Why don't you take a look at what those two did there rookie years, then find out how ridiculous your comments are, especially Joe Thomas. Constanzo couldnt hold Thomas lunch pail.

Have to admit, Castonzo is not in the same ballpark as Thomas or Long. These are two guys who were the top selection in their perspective drafts, and were both top of the draft board draft picks number one and number three! Castonzo is more RT material honest truth, either Ijalana can play LT or the Colts need a new LT to protect Manning next year. Personally I wanted the Colts to trade that top pick a few spots back and take Kalil.. But thats not gonna happen now..

It wasn't just Suggs thats the worst part! And when it was Suggs, Suggs beat him with speed, Suggs beat him with power, and Suggs beat him by flat out out-smarting Castonzo. I am glad I made the comments I did days before the game, Castonzo has a lot of positive attributes, but he does not look like a first round draft pick, he looks like a great piece to the line, who should play RT, where he won't face as many fast and elite pass rushers!

I've seen Dwight Freeney do the exact same thing to Jonathon Ogden who will probably end up in the HOF.

The far bigger issue I have is why our coaching staff would put a rookie tackle out on an island against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and not give him any help even after it was obvious he needed it.

I've seen Dwight Freeney do the exact same thing to Jonathon Ogden who will probably end up in the HOF.

The far bigger issue I have is why our coaching staff would put a rookie tackle out on an island against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and not give him any help even after it was obvious he needed it.

Exactly...FAR BIGGER ISSUE....

graet too see im not alone there, I tought exactly the same...freeney has owned some all pro HOF T... and suggs was one on one with castonzo everytime he lined up at our left side...coaches should have given him help.

I've seen Dwight Freeney do the exact same thing to Jonathon Ogden who will probably end up in the HOF. The far bigger issue I have is why our coaching staff would put a rookie tackle out on an island against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and not give him any help even after it was obvious he needed it.

This is what should be focused on. We all know that AC has struggles against the speed rushers like Ware and Suggs. Why does our OC continue to completely ignore that? Coltszilla shows one of the strip sacks for Suggs and we give absolutely no help to AC. We do not chip Suggs at all and he gets a fresh shot against AC. It does not help that DB has the awareness of a snail and does not help at all.

How do you leave your rookie out to dry like that?

Everyone is crapping on AC for getting beat, but we have watched Freeney for years abuse guys like Ogden. Yes, AC has a lot to work, but calling him a bust all ready is way to early.

I would not be surprised if Ijalana is playing LT next year. I was quite taken back by how impressive he looked in the limited time he got in Tampa Bay. He went up against Adrian Clayborn and was the only guy who was able to stop him until he got hurt. Go back to that game and watch him he looked more dominant than anything Ive seen from Castonzo. Which isnt a knock on him but more to do with the upside of Ijalana

I would not be surprised if Ijalana is playing LT next year. I was quite taken back by how impressive he looked in the limited time he got in Tampa Bay. He went up against Adrian Clayborn and was the only guy who was able to stop him until he got hurt. Go back to that game and watch him he looked more dominant than anything Ive seen from Castonzo. Which isnt a knock on him but more to do with the upside of Ijalana

This is Adrian Clayborn your talking about... a rookie DE who had a decent year his senior year of college. It was a step back from his junior year. Anthony Castonzo could have blocked him well too if he would have stayed healthy.

And I think that once we lost Castonzo, we lost our runningame. I don't remember being able to run the ball after that.

This is Adrian Clayborn your talking about... a rookie DE who had a decent year his senior year of college. It was a step back from his junior year. Anthony Castonzo could have blocked him well too if he would have stayed healthy.

And I think that once we lost Castonzo, we lost our runningame. I don't remember being able to run the ball after that.

Your very defensive for Castonzo... We both want the Luck pick traded, with that being said we should both want Peyton protected going forward, if that means moving Castonzo to RT, why is that not conceivable in your mind?

Have to admit, Castonzo is not in the same ballpark as Thomas or Long. These are two guys who were the top selection in their perspective drafts, and were both top of the draft board draft picks number one and number three! Castonzo is more RT material honest truth, either Ijalana can play LT or the Colts need a new LT to protect Manning next year. Personally I wanted the Colts to trade that top pick a few spots back and take Kalil.. But thats not gonna happen now..

would love kalil, move cast to RT & ijalana inside but Kalil may stay in college read today, now said undecided

still want to trafe 1st pick for a slew of them & rebuild team best we can as many needs, but Cast is not a bust

Yeah I want the pick traded too... I didn't call Castonzo a bust! That was not me that said that, I said he has a skill set more suited for RT... And until Kalil decided to return to school, I wanted the Colts to trade back and hopefully select him, and do exactlly what you said, Castonzo to RT, Ijalana to G.

Your very defensive for Castonzo... We both want the Luck pick traded, with that being said we should both want Peyton protected going forward, if that means moving Castonzo to RT, why is that not conceivable in your mind?

Because last year was the first year that I actually started getting involved with the draft. Well before the draft I was looking at LT's and from what I could tell Anthony Castonzo sounded like the best pick. I though Gabe Carimi was probably going to be more of a RT, Tyron Smith seemed like too much of a project, Derek Sherrod wasn't as good at pass protecting as Castonzo, and Solder seemed like to much of a project too. We needed a LT to start as a rookie, not at RT.

I wanted the colts to draft Castonzo for a while and it was awesome when we drafted him. He is definitely not a big, slow cumberson O-lineman like some people seem to think. I mean come on, he was 6'7" 295 lbs. coming out of college which is skinny! He needed to put on more strength and size to improve his run blocking and pass protecting against bull rushes. From the scouting reports that I read, he looked like a better fit at LT than RT.

Because last year was the first year that I actually started getting involved with the draft. Well before the draft I was looking at LT's and from what I could tell Anthony Castonzo sounded like the best pick. I though Gabe Carimi was probably going to be more of a RT, Tyron Smith seemed like too much of a project, Derek Sherrod wasn't as good at pass protecting as Castonzo, and Solder seemed like to much of a project too. We needed a LT to start as a rookie, not at RT.

I wanted the colts to draft Castonzo for a while and it was awesome when we drafted him. He is definitely not a big, slow cumberson O-lineman like some people seem to think. I mean come on, he was 6'7" 295 lbs. coming out of college which is skinny! He needed to put on more strength and size to improve his run blocking and pass protecting against bull rushers. From the scouting reports that I read, he looked like a better fit at LT than RT.

I wanted the colts to draft Castonzo for a while and it was awesome when we drafted him. He is definitely not a big, slow cumberson O-lineman like some people seem to think. I mean come on, he was 6'7" 295 lbs. coming out of college which is skinny! He needed to put on more strength and size to improve his run blocking and pass protecting against bull rushes. From the scouting reports that I read, he looked like a better fit at LT than RT.

I thought he was a great value pick, but what does it matter if he plays LT or RT? As long as the offensive line is improved it doesn't matter who plays where! Hope you wouldn't be too upset if the Colts traded the pick and took Kalil!

I thought he was a great value pick, but what does it matter if he plays LT or RT? As long as the offensive line is improved it doesn't matter who plays where! Hope you wouldn't be too upset if the Colts traded the pick and took Kalil!

I wouldnt be at all , see , if u havent already , i can put Ijlana insode thenn & next year draft a center but keep Sat for 1 more year

Matt Kalil To Enter 2012 Draft - Would Love Him If Peyton Back, Due Have Other Needs Though

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/3597-matt-kalil-to-enter-2012-draft-would-love-him-if-peyton-back-due-have-other-needs-though/

Yeah I want the pick traded too... I didn't call Castonzo a bust! That was not me that said that, I said he has a skill set more suited for RT... And until Kalil decided to return to school, I wanted the Colts to trade back and hopefully select him, and do exactlly what you said, Castonzo to RT, Ijalana to G.

he just declared for the draft, see previous comment

A LT like Kalil wouldn't help us if Ijalana can't become a very good G.

who cares if hes a rookie? theyre both rookies

A LT like Kalil wouldn't help us if Ijalana can't become a very good G.

Which the only people who keep thinking we are going to do that are the fans. Polian said himself back in camp Ijalana is a tackle and he's never played guard before. I think it just got started because of wishful thinking because people thought we were going to keep Johnson and were thinking we could play Castonzo and Johnson at tackle and work Ijlaana in at guard.

We aren't going to take Kalil when we just used our top two draft picks on tackles. Guys need to develop and despite what some fans think just because a guy isn't a pro-bowler right off the bat does NOT mean he is going to be a bust. Castonzo has had a very good season for a rookie tackle. Yes he's still learning but that's what rookies do. I remember when broke in Glenn his rookie year, he nearly got Harbaugh killed when he was a rookie. It worked out though as Glenn developed. I have faith Castonzo is going to do the same.

All the signs in the world point to us drafting a QB, probably Luck. If we don't we will probably target a play making WR to replace Reggie or cornerback to help our really bad secondary.

Which the only people who keep thinking we are going to do that are the fans. Polian said himself back in camp Ijalana is a tackle and he's never played guard before. I think it just got started because of wishful thinking because people thought we were going to keep Johnson and were thinking we could play Castonzo and Johnson at tackle and work Ijlaana in at guard.

We aren't going to take Kalil when we just used our top two draft picks on tackles. Guys need to develop and despite what some fans think just because a guy isn't a pro-bowler right off the bat does NOT mean he is going to be a bust. Castonzo has had a very good season for a rookie tackle. Yes he's still learning but that's what rookies do. I remember when broke in Glenn his rookie year, he nearly got Harbaugh killed when he was a rookie. It worked out though as Glenn developed. I have faith Castonzo is going to do the same.

All the signs in the world point to us drafting a QB, probably Luck. If we don't we will probably target a play making WR to replace Reggie or cornerback to help our really bad secondary.

Thats completely not true, a large amount of experts had Ijalana being a guy who could paly Tackle or Guard, Polian doesn't know what talent is, and thats even more evident the past five years or so! When you need to improve a position, you draft to improve it, it doesn't matter if its two picks in a row or five picks in a row, it also doesn't matter if they were your first two picks or last two picks. You improve the position until it is improved If the Colts can trade back and select Kalil, that pretty much solidifies the offensive line for years, excluding maybe the selection of another guard to start over Reitz! There is logic in this decision, Castonzo has a RT skill set, AND JUST LIKE ON THE OTHER THREAD WHERE I QUOTED YOU, I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS TOO! You heard it here first!

Thats completely not true, a large amount of experts had Ijalana being a guy who could paly Tackle or Guard, Polian doesn't know what talent is, and thats even more evident the past five years or so! When you need to improve a position, you draft to improve it, it doesn't matter if its two picks in a row or five picks in a row, it also doesn't matter if they were your first two picks or last two picks. You improve the position until it is improved If the Colts can trade back and select Kalil, that pretty much solidifies the offensive line for years, excluding maybe the selection of another guard to start over Reitz! There is logic in this decision, Castonzo has a RT skill set, AND JUST LIKE ON THE OTHER THREAD WHERE I QUOTED YOU, I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS TOO! You heard it here first!

Over reacting much?

Over reacting much?

Most of you Colts fans have blinders on and can't see facts. Fact, THE COLTS ARE TERRIBLE, THE DEFENSE...TERRIBLE! SPECIAL TEAMS... TERRIBLE! OFFENSE..TERRIBLE! Undersized on both sides of the ball and SOFT! I live in Baltimore, I watch the Ravens play, I know what physical and talent is, they have it everywhere on their team but their QB! Peyton Manning made me a Colts fan, but I can see how bad this team is, and how an overhaul is needed. But Colts Hommers see a solid team minus Manning... 0-16 sure is SOLID. I am tired of the excuses, the poor run franchise, the lack of talent, Peyton has deserved so much better, had he been a Raven, Steeler, Cowboy, the list goes on... He would have 5-10 Superbowls and be unquestionably the GREATEST OF ALL TIME. Yeah I am over reacting, Manning doesn't have much time left, when the talent isn't there, it has to be seen as not there! That means the offensive line, the putrid running backs, the over rated Dallas Clarke, the weak soft defense, the horrible coaching staff, and the horrible front office! Ok my rant is over..

Since he came into the NFL who has said Ijalana is going to play guard? I know what people said about him going into the draft but that was before he went to the team but that changes once they know where a guy is going to go. Again Polian said in training camp when asked if they would move Ijalana to guard that it wasn't something they were going to do he was a tackle. That's what Ijalana played in college as well. Yet the idea of moving Ijalana to guard has not died with the fans. I know what some fans think a guy might do but the team has flat out told you they are going to play him at tackle and that's all the snaps he has taken since he's been here despite having holes at guard. That probably means he's going to be a tackle.

Also typing in all caps does nothing to help make your point. You disagree with me, I get that. I disagree with you don't just keep drafting OT with your first round picks before you give the guy you took a chance to develop. Castonzo has done just fine for a rookie LT who is learning and developing. People are over reacting because he had a bad game against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Suggs has owned A LOT of tackles not just Castonzo. It's not shocking he had his way with a rookie LT and a back up QB. Again just because a guy isn't an all pro his rookie year doesn't mean he is a bust either. We also have Ijalana to play the other tackle spot. So I don't think tackle is a hole. We have a hole at guard which I think you can find later in the draft and is probably a better option than taking a guy who hasn't played guard and is coming off a major knee injury and saying hey go learn a new poistion.

This is all isn't going to matter because we are going to take Luck with the top pick, again listen to the people who get paid to cover the Colts and the NFL. The ones in the know keep saying we are going to take Luck and it's becoming a question of are we going to have Manning to go with Luck. The idea that is starting to lose popularity is the Colts trading the pick. Also, it was reported a couple of weeks ago Irsay wants Manning and Luck next year. If that's what the owner wants it's what the owner is going to get. So if we take that we aren't going to be able to get the LT out of USC.

over reitz? if anything you need a RG, reitz may not be all pro but he is ok, on the other hand im tired of waiting for pollack to get it together.

and i really want to know, why is everyone so fixated that Ijalan could make a mighty G? all his career he played T, there were a few reports that said he could be a good G, but you also found some reports that he could grow up to become a franchise LT...so I dont get it, why do you guys choose to believe the report that says he will be a good G and not the other ones who believe Ijalana could be a LT? or RT doesnt really matter, my point is T not G

I've been reading some comments, and some people have said he's a bust. His footwork is awful, but that's something he's going to improve as the years go on. He's a rookie for God's sake, he's going to get experience. You can't call him a bust after 13 games. Look at the positives, no strong DE can overpower as he's as strong as an ox. The sky's the limit for AC, so don't turn your backs on him yet, or that's just stupid.

Most of you Colts fans have blinders on and can't see facts. Fact, THE COLTS ARE TERRIBLE, THE DEFENSE...TERRIBLE! SPECIAL TEAMS... TERRIBLE! OFFENSE..TERRIBLE! Undersized on both sides of the ball and SOFT! I live in Baltimore, I watch the Ravens play, I know what physical and talent is, they have it everywhere on their team but their QB! Peyton Manning made me a Colts fan, but I can see how bad this team is, and how an overhaul is needed. But Colts Hommers see a solid team minus Manning... 0-16 sure is SOLID. I am tired of the excuses, the poor run franchise, the lack of talent, Peyton has deserved so much better, had he been a Raven, Steeler, Cowboy, the list goes on... He would have 5-10 Superbowls and be unquestionably the GREATEST OF ALL TIME. Yeah I am over reacting, Manning doesn't have much time left, when the talent isn't there, it has to be seen as not there! That means the offensive line, the putrid running backs, the over rated Dallas Clarke, the weak soft defense, the horrible coaching staff, and the horrible front office! Ok my rant is over..

Ok. I understand what you are trying to get out. But please dont yell. Go rant to the FO, not me, if you dont like how they are running this organization.

i will take the colts over the ravens the last ten years. this has actually been the easiest year to be a colts fan of the 40 that i have been a fan. what has been the ravins record against the colts been over the past 10 years?

i do agree with you on clarke and the coaching staff. 10 superbowls???????? really!!!!

So of those "better" run franchises you listed in your little rant there only one has been to more Super Bowls than Peyton Manning since he came into the league and that's the Steelers.

Also those other teams you listed if they had a 100 million dollar QB like the Colts do wouldn't have all those other players they have. Yes they would have some but they would lose some due to the sallary cap. It wouldn't be like you would just take Manning and his contract and put him in Baltimore they would have to give up some good players to make him fit. That's why we pay Peyton Manning as much as we do he's good enough to make up for not having all-pros at every poistion.

The Colts are a solid team built AROUND Manning. That's the key. It's built around him and when you take him out the whole thing crumbles because he's the support peace that holds the whole thing together. That's why for years people have said Peyton Manning is the one guy the Colts couldn't afford to lose. It's the samething in New Orleans, San Diego, the Giantsm New England (the way they are built now not three or four years ago) and probably even Green Bay. It's what comes with having one of the truly elite QBs in the NFL. You pay them so much money they have to be good enough to cover up holes at other poistions because you just simply don't have money and normally if you one of the truly great ones that's good enough. Yet if you lose that peace you are in big big big trouble as we have seen this season because now not only do have this monster hole at the QB spot but you have now have these other holes you could live with because you had an all world QB you can no longer live with.

So of those "better" run franchises you listed in your little rant there only one has been to more Super Bowls than Peyton Manning since he came into the league and that's the Steelers.

Also those other teams you listed if they had a 100 million dollar QB like the Colts do wouldn't have all those other players they have. Yes they would have some but they would lose some due to the sallary cap. It wouldn't be like you would just take Manning and his contract and put him in Baltimore they would have to give up some good players to make him fit. That's why we pay Peyton Manning as much as we do he's good enough to make up for not having all-pros at every poistion.

The Colts are a solid team built AROUND Manning. That's the key. It's built around him and when you take him out the whole thing crumbles because he's the support peace that holds the whole thing together. That's why for years people have said Peyton Manning is the one guy the Colts couldn't afford to lose. It's the samething in New Orleans, San Diego, the Giantsm New England (the way they are built now not three or four years ago) and probably even Green Bay. It's what comes with having one of the truly elite QBs in the NFL. You pay them so much money they have to be good enough to cover up holes at other poistions because you just simply don't have money and normally if you one of the truly great ones that's good enough. Yet if you lose that peace you are in big big big trouble as we have seen this season because now not only do have this monster hole at the QB spot but you have now have these other holes you could live with because you had an all world QB you can no longer live with.

Can you stop making sense please?!

my thoughts exactly! good post.

i will take the colts over the ravens the last ten years. this has actually been the easiest year to be a colts fan of the 40 that i have been a fan. what has been the ravins record against the colts been over the past 10 years?

i do agree with you on clarke and the coaching staff. 10 superbowls???????? really!!!!

If Peyton were on the Ravens they would have won 5-10 Super Bowls no doubt, with that defense, is that even a question.

You are so far off it's not even funny. Patriots still went 11-5 without Brady, GreenBay would be 10-6 with Flynn, The Giants would win 5 games, New Orleans maybe 5, San Diego maybe 3, didn't their back-up beat our Colts in the playoffs? The Colts have one win, at most can win 3 this season, thats pathetic. The Colts are not a solid built team around Manning by any stretch of the imagination. So mister Luck bandwagon, how will Luck rectify this team when Manning is done? Its still going to be the same sorry built soft team.