Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Gordon makes a puzzling statement

AndreRison

Talking about Johnny Manziel, Josh Gordon makes a very puzzling statement. Pay attention to the last two sentences.

“He’s willing to do anything, extend a play, and make something out of nothing. That mindset isn’t in everybody. A lot of guys will quit, take a sack or throw the ball away. That’s not what he does.”

IMO, taking a sack or throwing the ball away is what smart QB's do, unless it's desperation time. Maybe, that's the reason the coaches have held him out for so long.

When Luck does it he's great but if Manziel does it it's considered a knock on him...I don't get it

Go out there and light it up Sunday Manziel, represent for Texas

No it's bad for both. I just thought it was weird for Josh Gordon to say taking a sack or throwing the ball away is quitting.

I don't know how many times I've screamed at the tv, because luck will try some crazy pass.

His premise is that Manziel works hard and tries to get the most of out every play. It's a great sentiment, but as we've seen with Luck, it can really hurt your team. Make the smart play

It's Just weird, because he just described how Manning operates as quitting, and praises Manziel for operating like Kaepernick. You would think an NFL wr would know surviving for another down is more valuable than trying to do everything by yourself as a QB. Manning has made a pretty good career out of quitting on 1st down so he can line up again for 2nd down.

When Luck does it he's great but if Manziel does it it's considered a knock on him...I don't get it

Go out there and light it up Sunday Manziel, represent for Texas

I guess the differences is size makes a huge difference. Luck- 6-4, 240 lbs. Manziel- 6 ft, and listed at 210. I don't see the 210 but maybe I am wrong. Luck, physical beast- Manziel good athlete but not near as strong. That should make it a little clearer for you.

I guess the differences is size makes a huge difference. Luck- 6-4, 240 lbs. Manziel- 6 ft, and listed at 210. I don't see the 210 but maybe I am wrong. Luck, physical beast- Manziel good athlete but not near as strong. That should make it a little clearer for you.

Size don't equal strength, Size equals size

His premise is that Manziel works hard and tries to get the most of out every play.  It's a great sentiment, but as we've seen with Luck, it can really hurt your team.  Make the smart play

Sorry but if leading the NFL is not to your liking then it is what it is. As many pass attempts that Luck throws picks are going to happen. As far as the fumbles that's on the offensive line for not giving him better protection. If you go back and look at the fumbles 90% are from getting hit before he even had time to set his feet.

Size don't equal strength, Size equals size

So what are you saying? That Manziel has the strength of Luck? Being 6-4 does give a little advantage for seeing the field over 6 ft. We will see how many LBers that Manziel will take on I guess. He best be a lot stronger than he seems to be. JMO

So what are you saying? That Manziel has the strength of Luck? Being 6-4 does give a little advantage for seeing the field over 6 ft. We will see how many LBers that Manziel will take on I guess. He best be a lot stronger than he seems to be. JMO

If Manziel fails it wont have anything to do with his size or strength, It will be because of not being able to read NFL defenses quickly enough and not being able to adjust, Sure Luck being bigger gives him a bit of edge in being able to take hits but don't kid yourself.....Those hits Luck takes are slowly taking a toll on his body even this early

If Manziel fails it wont have anything to do with his size or strength, It will be because of not being able to read NFL defenses quickly enough and not being able to adjust, Sure Luck being bigger gives him a bit of edge in being able to take hits but don't kid yourself.....Those hits Luck takes are slowly taking a toll on his body even this early

My comment was in response to Htowncolt and his comment about Luck and Manziel. I didn't realize you would have a problem with my comment and that I needed set straight by you. My bad.

Sorry but if leading the NFL is not to your liking then it is what it is. As many pass attempts that Luck throws picks are going to happen. As far as the fumbles that's on the offensive line for not giving him better protection. If you go back and look at the fumbles 90% are from getting hit before he even had time to set his feet.

Luck trying to push the ball out of his hands at the 2 yard line is his o-lines fault? ok. He makes a lot of boneheaded plays trying to shovel pass the ball to the line of scrimmage instead of taking sack. Look, I love Andrew Luck as much as the next Colts fan, but he still manages to make a couple boneheaded plays per game.

Luck trying to push the ball out of his hands at the 2 yard line is his o-lines fault? ok. He makes a lot of boneheaded plays trying to shovel pass the ball to the line of scrimmage instead of taking sack. Look, I love Andrew Luck as much as the next Colts fan, but he still manages to make a couple boneheaded plays per game.

You are talking about how many plays out of how many snaps? Luck leads the NFL in a couple of things but all you can do is dwell on the negative, I have watched a lot of QBs over the last 50 years or so and they all make what you call a bonehead plays once in a while. That's football. For all the good things he does all you can do is see the very few bad plays he makes and then make an issue about them?

Just a thought that entered my mind. Why am I even trying to debate with someone who uses TRichWasASteal? I don't bash TRich but c'mon man. :yes:

What does size have to do with their decision making?

Talking about Johnny Manziel, Josh Gordon makes a very puzzling statement. Pay attention to the last two sentences.

“He’s willing to do anything, extend a play, and make something out of nothing. That mindset isn’t in everybody. A lot of guys will quit, take a sack or throw the ball away. That’s not what he does.”

IMO, taking a sack or throwing the ball away is what smart QB's do, unless it's desperation time. Maybe, that's the reason the coaches have held him out for so long.

Apparently the reason he was suspended has affected his ability to think clearly.

Yes, but Luck has cost the team by trying to make something out of nothing.  Take, for example, the fumble TD the Browns scored last week.  Had Luck simply kept the ball, it looked like we would have been on our own 1 yard line.  I would rather have the ball on our own 1 with a chance to gain a few yards and then punt it instead of fumbling the ball and giving the other team 7 points.  Luck tries to get rid of the ball before he takes the sack, but many times, it has resulted in a bad or almost bad play.  I'm not talking about Luck just throwing picks in the pocket, I'm talking about what he does when he's about to take a sack.

As far as the fumbles that's on the offensive line for not giving him better protection. If you go back and look at the fumbles 90% are from getting hit before he even had time to set his feet.

What does a wiser Manning do when there is a broken play and he is in jeopardy of getting sacked and/or potentially fumbling the ball?  Does he try to pass or hand the ball off while in the clutches of the defender?

The last several years especially - as soon as there is a broken play Manning seems to just flop on the ground and cover the ball up - just a few weeks ago I seen him do this and there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him - it was hilarious, but it didn't put the ball or the team in harms way and the next play they get the 1st down.

The OL can not protect perfectly every single play - defenders are going to get through once in a while - when luck tries to make something out of nothing he often hurts the team - that is ALL on him, not the OL - hopefully as he becomes wiser he will learn to protect the ball and  understand that there is a next play.  

And sure on the same sort of token the QB can not be perfect at all times either - I just want him to learn from the mistakes and not make the same ones over and over again - he is touted as being super smart - IMO he has a whole lot of growing up to do.... and again IMO thats GREAT for the Colts and the Colts fans!

As for J-Football - make some money J make some money!

Yes, but Luck has cost the team by trying to make something out of nothing.  Take, for example, the fumble TD the Browns scored last week.  Had Luck simply kept the ball, it looked like we would have been on our own 1 yard line.  I would rather have the ball on our own 1 with a chance to gain a few yards and then punt it instead of fumbling the ball and giving the other team 7 points.  Luck tries to get rid of the ball before he takes the sack, but many times, it has resulted in a bad or almost bad play.  I'm not talking about Luck just throwing picks in the pocket, I'm talking about what he does when he's about to take a sack.

Cost the team? Sorry, but look at their record. Luck is the only reason they are 3rd seed in the east. The Browns do have a pretty good defense IMO. All QBs make a bad plays from time to time. Did Manning catch the negative vibe when he was stripped of the ball for a TD?

What does a wiser Manning do when there is a broken play and he is in jeopardy of getting sacked and/or potentially fumbling the ball?  Does he try to pass or hand the ball off while in the clutches of the defender?

The last several years especially - as soon as there is a broken play Manning seems to just flop on the ground and cover the ball up - just a few weeks ago I seen him do this and there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him - it was hilarious, but it didn't put the ball or the team in harms way and the next play they get the 1st down.

The OL can not protect perfectly every single play - defenders are going to get through once in a while - when luck tries to make something out of nothing he often hurts the team - that is ALL on him, not the OL - hopefully as he becomes wiser he will learn to protect the ball and  understand that there is a next play.  

And sure on the same sort of token the QB can not be perfect at all times either - I just want him to learn from the mistakes and not make the same ones over and over again - he is touted as being super smart - IMO he has a whole lot of growing up to do.... and again IMO thats GREAT for the Colts and the Colts fans!

As for J-Football - make some money J make some money!

Fair enough.

I just thought it was weird for Josh Gordon to say taking a sack or throwing the ball away is quitting.

I don't believe that is what Gordon said. I read it as him saying that Manziel will not quit OR take a sack or throw the ball away. Read his statement again.

Cost the team? Sorry, but look at their record. Luck is the only reason they are 3rd seed in the east. The Browns do have a pretty good defense IMO. All QBs make a bad plays from time to time. Did Manning catch the negative vibe when he was stripped of the ball for a TD?

I mean cost the team as in it results in a turnover, not cost the team as in it results in a loss.

3rd in the East?

All QBs do make bad plays, but Luck consistently makes bad decisions on those plays.  Take the sack and live for the next play instead of turning the ball over.  If Luck gets hit for a strip sack, that's very possibly not his fault.  But if he's taking a sack and decides at the last minute to throw the ball away, that's on him

I mean cost the team as in it results in a turnover, not cost the team as in it results in a loss.

3rd in the East?

All QBs do make bad plays, but Luck consistently makes bad decisions on those plays.  Take the sack and live for the next play instead of turning the ball over.  If Luck gets hit for a strip sack, that's very possibly not his fault.  But if he's taking a sack and decides at the last minute to throw the ball away, that's on him

I meant 3rd seed in the AFC. From the way you talk Luck is a turnover machine. I can recall a few great QBs who went through spells like that. Even Manning has had a few games like that but he didn't get thrown under the bus so to say.

I don't see what's so strange about his comment. He's not holding a QB 101 seminar. He's saying he think Manziel can make plays where other QBs might not be able to.

It seems he's taking a shot at somebody else for being a pocket passer. Taking a sack or throwing it away is not what a quitter does. It's a philosophy that works.