Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup QB going forward

DoubleE Colt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Redskins don't resign Colt McCoy, he would be a perfect backup for Luck. He has shown he has improved a bit, and he deserves to be on a team where he can succeed if needed. The only downside is his arm strength, but there aren't a whole lot of great backups in the NFL. Colt could be a gem in the case of an emergency.

The top 3 options for me would be:

Colt McCoy

Brian Hoyer

Fitzpatrick

Edit: Actually I'd take Matt Cassel as well if the Vikings let him go.

How will the Texans fare this weekend?

Winning in a blowout, 43-7 :)

Ha but no honestly, I'm not sure. Depends if they actually come out fired up and ready to play. If that happens and we can force turnovers, and Arian Foster plays like Arian Foster, I can see a seven point victory. If not, then things could get ugly and we will be playing catch up the whole game only to lose like last time. Gonna be exciting to watch, that's for sure.

Ha but no honestly, I'm not sure. Depends if they actually come out fired up and ready to play. If that happens and we can force turnovers, and Arian Foster plays like Arian Foster, I can see a seven point victory. If not, then things could get ugly and we will be playing catch up the whole game only to lose like last time. Gonna be exciting to watch, that's for sure.

I think we come out guns blazing...yet it is close....27-17 Colts.  Our sack attack is solid at home.  I want a good game not a blowout either way.

I imagine a guy like Matt Cassell, Colt Mccoy, Brian Hoyer or Matt Moore would all be good qbs to look into depending on the money. Perhaps even maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick if his contract is up? Guys like that would all be suitable vets. You know you can't win LONG term with these guys but you could win a spot start if your qb goes down a week or two. Just keep you afloat. Kyle Orton will probably be starting again next year so I doubt he would be available. We don't need to break the bank..just find someone that can win us a game or two.

IMO, draft a QB in 4th round or later. If Matt comes back next year, have him mentor the Rookie QB and on sidelines for Luck.  We will have a good back-up in Matt and be developing our future back-up in the Rook.

In the Rookie QB, he will need similar skill set as Luck.

If the Texans do not come out "fired up and ready to play" , you guys have a serious problem with personnel and coaching. Their whole season is on the line as they will pretty much be eliminated from the post season with a loss. I think if there's any chance of a team being flat , it's the Colts as all they need to do is beat Tenn. in week 17 to clinch the division.

If the Texans do not come out "fired up and ready to play" , you guys have a serious problem with personnel and coaching. Their whole season is on the line as they will pretty much be eliminated from the post season with a loss. I think if there's any chance of a team being flat , it's the Colts as all they need to do is beat Tenn. in week 17 to clinch the division.

Yeah, right after the Jacksonville loss, while the guys were still in the lockerroom, BOB brought up the Colts but didn't mention them by name, only said that we have never won "there". It was the right move. We need all the motivation we can get and you are right, if we don't come out with all cylinders firing then something just isn't right. The Texans know how big this game is, though I don't think for one minute that the Colts are actively thinking about that last game vs Tennessee as a fallback, as even that isn't completely guaranteed. They certainly have something to fight for as well. These are two teams competing for the division if not a playoff seeding in general.

I had problems with using this much cap space on a back up QB to begin with. The big argument was that he would help Andrew Luck's development . I don't think Luck really needs 4 million $'s of the cap to help him develop in year 4 and going forward. Those expensive backups are just a luxury and IMO only make sense if you have a dominant defense or a really sketchy starter. Odds are the back up at Indy . considering how good our defense is and how much of the offense revolves around and depends pn Luck , will mean very little in a given season. So please give me a rookie and his 500K cap hit and use that saved 3.35 mill toward a safety , CB, OL or LB.

Matt wasn't only a mentor, he is the backup QB. If Luck would miss any games he would be well worth the money. That's all we would need is a rookie QB trying to win games if Luck got hurt. Sorry, I don't buy into your reasoning. :loco:

If Sam Bradford gets cut, I'd love it if the Colts give him a look. He's pretty talented but unfortunately tore his ACL the last two years. If Luck went down for a game then I think Bradford could still get the win. If Bradford is healthy and performs well then we could potentially trade him for an additional pick at some point.

You really think the Rams would take the 7 million cap hit to release him? They, like the Colts have a lot of players coming off rookie contracts who will need to be signed.

Yeah, right after the Jacksonville loss, while the guys were still in the lockerroom, BOB brought up the Colts but didn't mention them by name, only said that we have never won "there". It was the right move. We need all the motivation we can get and you are right, if we don't come out with all cylinders firing then something just isn't right. The Texans know how big this game is, though I don't think for one minute that the Colts are actively thinking about that last game vs Tennessee as a fallback, as even that isn't completely guaranteed. They certainly have something to fight for as well. These are two teams competing for the division if not a playoff seeding in general.

I didn't say it wasn't a big game for the Colts. I just simply stated that it's elimination for the Texans while the Colts in all likelihood will still win the division. What do  you mean by "even that isn't completely guaranteed" ?

Matt wasn't only a mentor, he is the backup QB. If Luck would miss any games he would be well worth the money. That's all we would need is a rookie QB trying to win games if Luck got hurt. Sorry, I don't buy into your reasoning. :loco:

It's just my opinion. I thought the Colts would have been better served to  spend that money elsewhere, Too many holes to afford such a luxury. But it's just an opinion and everybody has one. How about another O lineman to keep some of this ridiculous pressure  off Luck ? You don't have to agree but you surely must "understand " my reasoning. You just disagree .. right ?

I didn't say it wasn't a big game for the Colts. I just simply stated that it's elimination for the Texans while the Colts in all likelihood will still win the division. What do  you mean by "even that isn't completely guaranteed" ?

You said " I think if there's any chance of a team being flat , it's the Colts as all they need to do is beat Tenn. in week 17 to clinch the division." That certainly sounds like you think the Colts, at the back of their minds, aren't too worried if they lose this game and because of that are more likely to come out "flat." Maybe you thought you said what you think you said but that isn't what I got out of your statement, I got the other implication due to the way it was worded. And by the completely guaranteed I mean the Tennessee game. Teams play spoiler to their foes every year and I don't think it would be a good idea for the Colts to just think of that game as an automatic fallback and division clincher. They want to beat the Texans now and win the division. The Texans want to beat the Colts and hope for other Colt losses as well as winning out.

You said " I think if there's any chance of a team being flat , it's the Colts as all they need to do is beat Tenn. in week 17 to clinch the division." That certainly sounds like you think the Colts, at the back of their minds, aren't too worried if they lose this game and because of that are more likely to come out "flat." Maybe you thought you said what you think you said but that isn't what I got out of your statement, I got the other implication due to the way it was worded. And by the completely guaranteed I mean the Tennessee game. Teams play spoiler to their foes every year and I don't think it would be a good idea for the Colts to just think of that game as an automatic fallback and division clincher. They want to beat the Texans now and win the division. The Texans want to beat the Colts and hope for other Colt losses as well as winning out.

No.. none of the above. I was just saying that the Texans have a bit more motivation. Never won at LOS , and pretty much eliminated form post season play . I was just responding to you saying "if they actually come out fired up and ready to play." My point was that "if" they (Texans) don't they have serious issues with players and coaching staff. If the Colts come out flat , they too should be ashamed of their selves. Just saying that it's a must win game for the Texans while it doesn't end the Colt's season. Agree that it would be very stupid for Indy to figure they have an easy win vs Tenn to clinch the division anyway. Division game on the road , bad bounces , Locker gets hot.. lots of things could make a win very difficult.

No.. none of the above. I was just saying that the Texans have a bit more motivation. Never won at LOS , and pretty much eliminated form post season play . I was just responding to you saying "if they actually come out fired up and ready to play." My point was that "if" they (Texans) don't they have serious issues with players and coaching staff. If the Colts come out flat , they too should be ashamed of their selves. Just saying that it's a must win game for the Texans while it doesn't end the Colt's season. Agree that it would be very stupid for Indy to figure they have an easy win vs Tenn to clinch the division anyway. Division game on the road , bad bounces , Locker gets hot.. lots of things could make a win very difficult.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. It's going to be pretty intense Sunday and you are right about the two different levels of motivation. I still hate to lean my hopes against Locker and the Terrible Titans though.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. It's going to be pretty intense Sunday and you are right about the two different levels of motivation. I still hate to lean my hopes against Locker and the Terrible Titans though.

Looking at the standings , the Texans should make it as they have the best conference record of all the wild card contenders, Losing to both Pitt and Cinn hurts you guys a bit but Cinn has games with both Denver and Pitt. I'm guessing that Houston would be a favorite for a WC if they win out

Looking at the standings , the Texans should make it as they have the best conference record of all the wild card contenders, Losing to both Pitt and Cinn hurts you guys a bit but Cinn has games with both Denver and Pitt. I'm guessing that Houston would be a favorite for a WC if they win out

Exactly, hopefully Denver doesn't let the Bengals upset them and I hope that John Manziel proves me right and shows he was rightly drafted as a first-rounder when he faces the Cinn defense.

Exactly, hopefully Denver doesn't let the Bengals upset them and I hope that John Manziel proves me right and shows he was rightly drafted as a first-rounder when he faces the Cinn defense.

Yeah.. I forgot Cinn has Cleveland also. So they have 3 real tough games.

You guys really did have an unlucky season. On bright side , the Texans have a couple decent looking options at QB. Savage made some nice throws. I would think they resign Mallett and have a competition for the job.

You guys really did have an unlucky season. On bright side , the Texans have a couple decent looking options at QB. Savage made some nice throws. I would think they resign Mallett and have a competition for the job.

Yeah I'm convinced we are cursed at the QB position, have been for our entire history lol. Good game by you guys though, big props to not quitting when things got tough.

Yeah I'm convinced we are cursed at the QB position, have been for our entire history lol. Good game by you guys though, big props to not quitting when things got tough.

At least Manziel didn't light it up and have all you guys second guess trading down and drafting him. Ohhh. man .. just looking at the stats and Manziel threw 18 times and Cleveland rushed the ball 17 times. I keep adding that up and always get 35 plays. How in the world do you runs 35 plays  in a whole game ?

At least Manziel didn't light it up and have all you guys second guess trading down and drafting him. Ohhh. man .. just looking at the stats and Manziel threw 18 times and Cleveland rushed the ball 17 times. I keep adding that up and always get 35 plays. How in the world do you runs 35 plays in a whole game ?

I know Hill killed it on the ground so the Bengals probably dominated the game in time of possession. I feel for Johnny though, he had a tough defense to face in his first start.

I know Hill killed it on the ground so the Bengals probably dominated the game in time of possession. I feel for Johnny though, he had a tough defense to face in his first start.

Yes he did (have a tough start) and I'm not calling him a bust . Just thinking that a lot of people in Houston probably wanted the trade down . If he lit it up on the day Houston was eliminated and lost their 2nd QB , you guys would hear *s with the "I told you" stuff. 

Yes he did (have a tough start) and I'm not calling him a bust . Just thinking that a lot of people in Houston probably wanted the trade down . If he lit it up on the day Houston was eliminated and lost their 2nd QB , you guys would hear *s with the "I told you" stuff.

You're right. And ESPN would be all over it for days.