Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints are worried about Brees

PrincetonTiger

That is 100% bogus. 

By "early" I would think round 2 or 3. It really isn't crazy stuff . Brees is 35 as we speak and has two years left on his contract. So what would make like 90% (?) sense is you take a nice developmental guy day two of the 2015 draft and he sits and learns behind Drew Brees for 2 years.  If by some chance they want to sign Brees to another deal at age 37 , you have a good back up , trade bait or at worst a wasted draft pick. Peyton Manning was younger or around the same age as Brees when Polian was chastised for not doing just what this "report" suggests.

By "early" I would think round 2 or 3. It really isn't crazy stuff . Brees is 35 as we speak and has two years left on his contract. So what would make like 90% (?) sense is you take a nice developmental guy day two of the 2015 draft and he sits and learns behind Drew Brees for 2 years.  If by some chance they want to sign Brees to another deal at age 37 , you have a good back up , trade bait or at worst a wasted draft pick. Peyton Manning was younger or around the same age as Brees when Polian was chastised for not doing just what this "report" suggests.

This is what the Pack did with Aaron Rodgers

I can only hope this is true.

Brees is done. The whole short pass, dink and donk offense only lives and dies off stats.

I don't care what his stats look like, if you guys watched him play for at least 3 games, you'd totally agree with me. He can't hit deep balls, or just about anything past 15 yards. The Saints offense is incredibly one dimensional. Everything is short passes and predictable runs because he can't complete any medium to deep balls anymore.

We made ourselves into the Falcons by turning Graham into Gonzalez 2.0 and watch Brees and Graham. He won't even look down the field for Stills and Cooks when they are open down the field, instead he'll force that pass to Graham even when he's doubled, tripled, or even quadrupole covered.

The Saints offense is done.

They run that silly short pass offense all day. We've turned Cooks into a slot receiver and practically ruined what he's capable of. Last year, Stills went deep, not this year...They are just decoys for Graham.

It takes them 7-8 minutes to go down the field, get to the red zone, and not score a TD, or go for it on 4th down and not get any points at all.

It would only be genius to get rid of Brees, and Graham, and Payton and draft a young guy and rebuild.

Brees is done. The whole short pass, dink and donk offense only lives and dies off stats.

I don't care what his stats look like, if you guys watched him play for at least 3 games, you'd totally agree with me. He can't deep balls, or just about anything past 15 yards. The Saints offense is incredibly one dimensional. Everything is short passes and predictable runs because he can't complete any medium to deep balls anymore.

We made ourselves into the Falcons by turning Graham into Gonzalez 2.0 and watch Brees and Graham. He won't even look down the field for Stills and Cooks when they are open down the field, instead he'll force that pass to Graham even when he's doubled, tripled, or even quadrupole covered.

They run that silly short pass offense all day. We've turned Cooks into a slot receiver and practically ruined what he's capable of. Last year, Stills went deep, not this year...They are just decoys for Graham.

It takes them 7-8 minutes to go down the field, get to the red zone, and not score a TD, or go for it on 4th down and not get any points at all.

It would only be genius to get rid of Brees, and Graham, and Payton and draft a young guy and rebuild.

But Why is all the rum gone?

This is what the Pack did with Aaron Rodgers

SF brought Young in behind Montana ? Patriots just drafted a QB in round 2 ? Dosen't happen 24-7 in the NFL that a team has their future QB on the roster when the no.1 guy is done. But makes sense for sure.

SF brought Young in behind Montana ? Patriots just drafted a QB in round 2 ? Dosen't happen 24-7 in the NFL that a team has their future QB on the roster when the no.1 guy is done. But makes sense for sure.

The only problem is the transition to the new guy

SF actually did it twice

Montana-Young and Smith-Kapernick)

I don't care what his stats look like, if you guys watched him play for at least 3 games, you'd totally agree with me. He can't hit deep balls, or just about anything past 15 yards. The Saints offense is incredibly one dimensional. Everything is short passes and predictable runs because he can't complete any medium to deep balls anymore.

I would think if the Saints see value in the early rounds (prob. not round 1) they will draft what they hope will be their next QB. You're pretty much "stuck" with Brees in 2015 as the cap hit would be just a shade under 15 mill. However it will be half that in 2016 and none there after as his contract ends in 2016. So I'm thinking your team is in a good position regarding this. If their guy is there in round 2 or 3 , they draft a QB . If not .. no need to reach.

Are those guys really the problem?  Payton is widely considered one of the best playcallers in the game.  Brees is still really accurate, though you'll know more about him than I do.  Graham is a beast when he's healthy.  I think the real issue in New Orleans is the defense.  Ryan has done nothing despite a lot of talent and hype; I've always thought he was one of the more overrated coaches in the league

The only problem is the transition to the new guy

SF actually did it twice

Montana-Young and Smith-Kapernick)

Little different with Smith Kap. They pretty much brought Kap in to compete with Smith. The other examples we talked about involved older QB's . 

Bogie is making so much sense lately that I think I might be tripping.

The Joe/Steve comparison isn't like what we're talking about, or what the Packers did, etc. It just gets lumped into these discussions for a few seasons.

Payton is overrated. He just got a few more breaks than all those other coaches who have tried the NFL Blitz offense.

He's hit a couple of deep ones today.

You want to clear house, huh? I think Graham is a darn fine tight end and Payton a coach minus the whole bountygate stuff. I think the team has some nice pieces in place, and drafting a young quarterback to sit behind Brees for a year would be a smart idea. 

NFL beat writers really really want to change the narrative in the NFL. They got to be tired of the Brees, Brady, Manning story lines but the fact is even in old age these guys are still the creme of the crop. Rodgers is the MVP and best qb in the league but these 3 plus add Luck imo are the top 5 qbs in the league. Sure they may look at a back up like NE did but he will start until his contract runs out....and then he likely will be a gun for hire for a year or two by a team that thinks they are a qb away....hard to say who that might be in 2016....maybe the Rams??