Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will we ever have a great running game?

pgt_rob

I'm not a football coach but I can notice the obvious. We started with the running game and it just wouldn't work. Trent looked lost out there tonight and Bradshaw is a tough runner but was stopped. I feel as if each year history repeats itself. Chalk it up to young olinemen not setting up blocks? Or is it our running backs that can't hit the hole or power through like Gray just did? What's going on?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Rice will soon be available.

Yes. But would it honestly do any good though? I feel as if our o linemen aren't experienced enough to block well for our running backs. Not to mention injuries that definitely piled up for us but none for New Englad. Pretty sickening to me, history repeating itself over and over and over again. My heart is so in this team and it is always 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

We have a young team. We will continue to build and get better. It is not the end of the world.

I love how NE has the ball for 10 more minutes and run it down our throats and it is still Trent's fault. Bradshaws drop early was a killer then Reggie on 4th then Nicks again on 4th down Trent probably caused those too.

We need to continue to build the O Line and front 7 on D. It is one game. NE is playing really well right now

Can we call Richardson a dismal failure yet????  He is in my book.  The hardest part is admitting the obvious, then the healing begins.

You don't replace the kitchen faucet when the valve below is the problem. In other words...No you can't call him a dismal failure...all of our running backs for quite some time stink..and it's because the valve (the offensive line) is corroded and not much can get through.

Put Richardson in the backfield in Dallas and I guarantee you he'll rival what Murray is doing.

You don't replace the kitchen faucet when the valve below is the problem. In other words...No you can't call him a dismal failure...all of our running backs for quite some time stink..and it's because the valve (the offensive line) is corroded and not much can get through.

Put Richardson in the backfield in Dallas and I guarantee you he'll rival what Murray is doing.

I would be curious as to what T-Rich has done to be called a success in his time here at Indy?  Did he become a ball rolling butcher knives and I missed it?

Bradshaw, who is older than dirt in comparison has outplayed T-Rich at every opportunity.

I would be curious as to what T-Rich has done to be called a success in his time here at Indy?  Did he become a ball rolling butcher knives and I missed it?

Bradshaw, who is older than dirt in comparison has outplayed T-Rich at every opportunity.

Who said anything about calling him a success...you must not read too carefully. I clearly previously stated it's too early to call him a failure. My mind isn't established either way...while some people's are ... mine is not.

Current stats from NFL.com

Bradshaw 90 carries for 425 yards average of 4.7 and 2tds

Richardson 115 carries for 391 yards average of 3.4 and 2tds

Now...neither one of those stand out to me. Sure is Bradshaw "statistically better" when we are talking about "THE RUN GAME" yes...yes he is. But not like he is significantly better in any means as you say.

Compare it to LUCK 38 carries for 144 yards average of 3.8 yards and 2 td's.

By stats comparison you could say Luck is better than Richardson as a running back. 

The point (FOR ME) is that the rushing game completely stinks all around...and it's NOT JUST because of the running backs....90% falls upon the offensive line to create the path.

I'm ok with castonzo, mewhort, and i think harrison will be ok. But thornton? no.  Cherilus seems like a veteran that should be playing more consistently.

But thornton? no.  Cherilus is veteran at above avg lt . mewhort a rookie play good.   thornton play below avg right guard. harrison is rookie play good as well . think about it have 2 rookies and second year players . yes hard play great offense  when most your players are learning.

I think some players that enter the NFL find that the game at that level moves too fast for them. Guys like Richardson, Joey Harrington, and Ryan Leaf to name a few are some of these individuals. The game on the NFL level is just too fast for them. They probably wonder how they were drafted to be honest

I'm not a football coach but I can notice the obvious. We started with the running game and it just wouldn't work. Trent looked lost out there tonight and Bradshaw is a tough runner but was stopped. I feel as if each year history repeats itself. Chalk it up to young olinemen not setting up blocks? Or is it our running backs that can't hit the hole or power through like Gray just did? What's going on?

Colts should really negotiate with the Saints in the off season for one of their running backs. Ingram, Robinson, Thomas all are better then Richardson.  

Not by much though

Can we call Richardson a dismal failure yet????  He is in my book.  The hardest part is admitting the obvious, then the healing begins.

In case you didn't notice -- and you clearly didn't -- Bradshaw had a bad game too.

This wasn't a Richardson problem game.    This was an offensive-line problem game.    Our backs had no where to run.   There were no holes to run through.

Blaming this on TRich is ridiculous......   this was a bad game for our o-line.    Period.

Will we someday have a great running game?      I don't know?

But I hope someday we have a good running game.    Because ours has clearly regressed badly.   It's disappeared as the offensive line play has gotten dramatically worse.

If we someday have a consistently good running game,  then I'll be happy.

At some point during the offseason I think something a bit drastic has to be done......

1.Bring in a veteran O Line talent....talent is the keyword...Not some bum whos a vet..... a real talent...I don't care if we have young talent on the O Line who we drafted.....I want to be able to run the ball when we want to before Luck retires

2.Fire the O Line coach......I don't think he is the real problem but I could be wrong

3.Find more athletic O Linemen even at the cost of size!....you DONT have to be 300+ lbs to block

4.Use more variety in our blocking scheme...Why did we go away from using our TE's to get to the 2nd level to block...We had success with it

5.Go back to the basics of Blocking 101....I think a combination of 3 4 and 5 is what needs to happen (If you have to do this step then its not to far off you probably better do step 2 probably)

RICHARDSON wasn't the one who was lost put there.. It was the guys who failed to block for him.

Where would Grigs look for a new offensive line coach (college or the pros)?  It seems as though the Patriots staff turns normal looking guys out of smaller colleges every year into an elite unit no matter who is running the ball.  With the exception of Harrison, we've used high draft picks on our line.  No excuses there anymore.  Maybe Pagano and his offensive coaches should sit down and watch the film and try to break the Patriots code.  The announcers kept talking about angles.  They were pushing our 340 lbers out of the way like they were  chumps.  LOL - Chuck should call Bruce and ask him what he would do in this situation.

There is multiple problems why we haven't been able to run the ball from what I have seen

#1. problem.....Very poor technique in drive blocking which we use a lot of when run blocking...WAY TO MANY O LINEMEN I see not bending there knees and losing there leverage because of it

#2.problem......Lack of commitment to the run game

#3.Not enough variety in our blocking schemes...Heavy Man Blocking. Not much Zone Blocking, Seemingly no Gap or Angle Blocking.....Predictable

#4.We don't have a Back that hits the Hole hard enough with acceleration when the Hole is there