Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Denies Having Any Draft Discussions With Polian

thetigerfox

I think it is unfair to BOTH Manning and Luck to try to keep both players.

It is unfair to Luck because he is too good to sit behind a legend for 1-4 years. He is well beyond where Aaron Rodgers was when he came out.

It is unfair to Manning because he has a short window to win and this team currently 0-11 could use the help in the draft at MANY postitions. He could use that #1 or multiple first round picks on a new #1 WR, O-Line, CB help, etc. Drafting Luck to sit costs Manning and the Colts the opportunity of FINALLY getting a legit impact guy high in the draft ala Suh, Calvin Johnson, etc.

It is unfair to Luck because he is too good to sit behind a legend for 1-4 years. He is well beyond where Aaron Rodgers was when he came out.

It is unfair to Manning because he has a short window to win and this team currently 0-11 could use the help in the draft at MANY postitions. He could use that #1 or multiple first round picks on a new #1 WR, O-Line, CB help, etc. Drafting Luck to sit costs Manning and the Colts the opportunity of FINALLY getting a legit impact guy high in the draft ala Suh, Calvin Johnson, etc.

It's unfair to Luck because he is going to be asked to sit and learn? He will be well paid and if the chance is there it is usually better for a rookie QB to sit and learn at least for 1 season if maybe not two. As for Manning his time for glory has come and he got to go to 2 SB which is more then most NFL players get to go to and has been paid very well.

So is it fair to draft Barkley or Moore or any other good qb coming out in the draft to sit behind Manning? Tough if it isn't. Colts need a talented back up who can take over and be the future later on.

I disagree that it would be unfair to Luck. Peyton is arguably the best QB to ever play the game and certainly one of the smartest to ever play the game. Sitting behind Peyton and learning from him will only help him be a better player

http://www.nfl.com/n...ons-with-polian

Weird, usually don't see this kind of miscommunication within the organization.

sorry, just seen discussion taking place under Peyton manning thread. You know guys, a decent title could fix a lot of these mishaps.lol

Polian is a sneaky guy. Why make that up and possibly cause drama? Why not just side step the question instead of lying?

It's unfair to Luck because he is going to be asked to sit and learn? He will be well paid and if the chance is there it is usually better for a rookie QB to sit and learn at least for 1 season if maybe not two. As for Manning his time for glory has come and he got to go to 2 SB which is more then most NFL players get to go to and has been paid very well.

What is he going to learn that none of the others sitting behind Manning learned?

Polian is a sneaky guy. Why make that up and possibly cause drama? Why not just side step the question instead of lying?

What Polian actually said a couple of weeks back was:

"I guess it’s from people in the media more than fans, the bottom line is if the right person is there, and it has to be the right person, now is the time to consider that. Peyton and I have spoken about that, and he’s fine with it."

But he didn't say when that conversation took place.

Today the media rephrased that to Peyton under the assumption that he was specifically talking about a recent conversation related to his injury and Andrew Luck. Peyton in denying it sounded like he was more concerned with deflecting stories that make it sound like he is running the entire organization than with having a public dispute with Polian. He then said:

“Maybe a couple years ago, he would say, ‘Eventually we’re going to draft your replacement.’”

I would put this together and assume that Polian was referring to the acknowledged previous conversations in that Peyton has understood for at least the two prior drafts that the Colts will draft a "replacement" if they spot "the right person". This is nothing new. Yes, it's perhaps a little disingenuous to allow people to conclude that he sat down recently with Peyton and said "would you mind terribly if we drafted this Luck fellow, please", but he didn't lie, he's just letting people hear what they want to hear. The fact is that it isn't any of Peyton's business who or when the Colts draft anybody. The suggestions to the contrary seemed to make Peyton very uncomfortable - he's just a player. Polian is just letting those of us who have Peyton on a pedestal feel a little better. He could just as easily have said something completely different and dismissed Peyton's concerns from the equation, which would have fed into the "Polian is an egomaniac" theme much better, but perhaps angered those who think that Peyton should be consulted. In other words, he's doing his job. He patted his superstar on the back while deflecting a substantive answer to the future where it belongs. Not a big deal.

"I guess it’s from people in the media more than fans, the bottom line is if the right person is there, and it has to be the right person, now is the time to consider that. Peyton and I have spoken about that, and he’s fine with it."

Today the media rephrased that to Peyton under the assumption that he was specifically talking about a recent conversation related to his injury and Andrew Luck. Peyton in denying it sounded like he was more concerned with deflecting stories that make it sound like he is running the entire organization than with having a public dispute with Polian. He then said:

“Maybe a couple years ago, he would say, ‘Eventually we’re going to draft your replacement.’”

I would put this together and assume that Polian was referring to the acknowledged previous conversations in that Peyton has understood for at least the two prior drafts that the Colts will draft a "replacement" if they spot "the right person". This is nothing new. Yes, it's perhaps a little disingenuous to allow people to conclude that he sat down recently with Peyton and said "would you mind terribly if we drafted this Luck fellow, please", but he didn't lie, he's just letting people hear what they want to hear. The fact is that it isn't any of Peyton's business who or when the Colts draft anybody. The suggestions to the contrary seemed to make Peyton very uncomfortable - he's just a player. Polian is just letting those of us who have Peyton on a pedestal feel a little better. He could just as easily have said something completely different and dismissed Peyton's concerns from the equation, which would have fed into the "Polian is an egomaniac" theme much better, but perhaps angered those who think that Peyton should be consulted. In other words, he's doing his job. He patted his superstar on the back while deflecting a substantive answer to the future where it belongs. Not a big deal.

agreed! thats what i got out of it after watching it for myself. kravitz made it sound completely different on his twitter. but definitely after i watched it, i took it that peyton was just making the point that his opinion isnt obtained in deciding who the colts draft....and never has. again, i just think its a case where bob is trying to make bill polian look as bad as he can, because of his disliking of him. thats my take on it anyway.

I think what we are seeing is Manning not wanting it to come across like he is running the team as a QB. That's what I got out of it mostly.

Either way i wouldn't read too much into it yet, Manning didn't say he would have a problem with us drafting a QB. He just said he doesn't get invovled with who we draft, again at least to me trying to make sure that the idea that Manning is decicding who we draft doesn't get out there. Manning is a professional and my guess is that Manning is that regardless of Manning's personal feelings about drafting Luck he would probably do what he can do to help him if that is what is asked of him. I think it would only get messy if the Colts went to Manning and said we would like you to back Luck up and that's about as realistic as happening as us winning in New England this weekend is.

I think what we are seeing is Manning not wanting it to come across like he is running the team as a QB. That's what I got out of it mostly.

Either way i wouldn't read too much into it yet, Manning didn't say he would have a problem with us drafting a QB. He just said he doesn't get invovled with who we draft, again at least to me trying to make sure that the idea that Manning is decicding who we draft doesn't get out there. Manning is a professional and my guess is that Manning is that regardless of Manning's personal feelings about drafting Luck he would probably do what he can do to help him if that is what is asked of him. I think it would only get messy if the Colts went to Manning and said we would like you to back Luck up and that's about as realistic as happening as us winning in New England this weekend is.

To all of the responders to the op who totally ignored what the op topic was. what I got out of what PM said was first he did not normally talk about personal conservations with Polian. And then he then went further and said that he had not talked to BP about the draft period. Who do we believe, PM or BP. I have made my decision. All of the above posters are not innocent fans but part of the FO.

To all of the responders to the op who totally ignored what the op topic was. what I got out of what PM said was first he did not normally talk about personal conservations with Polian. And then he then went further and said that he had not talked to BP about the draft period. Who do we believe, PM or BP. I have made my decision. All of the above posters are not innocent fans but part of the FO.

So let me get this right you quote me and then complain about people ignoring the orginal poster posted and then turn around do exactly what I did and say what you took away from it...

So let me get this right you quote me and then complain about people ignoring the orginal poster posted and then turn around do exactly what I did and say what you took away from it...

What Manning said was he has not spoken to BP period about the draft.

What Manning said was he has not spoken to BP period about the draft.

Yes I am aware of that. I was just stating the reason I think he felt the need to say what he said. By the way I don't work for the front office as you claimed that I and others did either. I am just offering up my opinoin which last time I checked was what this forum was for and just because it doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean I must work for the front office it just means I see things differetly than you do.

Yes I am aware of that. I was just stating the reason I think he felt the need to say what he said. By the way I don't work for the front office as you claimed that I and others did either. I am just offering up my opinoin which last time I checked was what this forum was for and just because it doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean I must work for the front office it just means I see things differetly than you do.

Well what was the reason that BP said what he said?

Accusation of working for the Colts or whatever should not be made because a person has a different viewpoint.

We all need to respect one another's right to his or her opinion and conduct conversations/discussions/debates with maturity - or as much as we can muster in this difficult season. ;)

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Well what was the reason that BP said what he said?

Spin.

With that said, Manning also said today that he hadn't talked to Polian about getting the next QB recently and I saw on Sports Center where Manning said they might have talked about it a few years ago. When Polian made the first comments he never said exactly when that converstation took place. Yes it's Polian twisting things but that's what he does.

As for the most recent comments like the OP said there is clearly some miscommuncations some where along the line.

Those would be my guesses.

Accusation of working for the Colts or whatever should not be made because a person has a different viewpoint.

We all need to respect one another's right to his or her opinion and conduct conversations/discussions/debates with maturity - or as much as we can muster in this difficult season. ;)I understand. You can delete me from this forum and I would appreciate it. Pm threw BP under the bus and none of the posters above agree. Im done. I have read this forum for all of the years that you have had PM as I am a TN fan but I truly believe that PM is done with the Colts because of BP.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Nope I dont have the link for recording but read that after polian said that he al;so said later on , another day that he would of done it last year but like he saidd in a polian corner if the f right person is there this year he will f do it

Here

Q: What is the future of the quarterback situation with the team in terms of the draft?

It’s very, very premature to even mention player’s names. Now, there are a number of players whose names who are being bandied about. Andrew Luck is one of them. (He) can go back to school if he wishes. Those fellows have until January 15 to declare (for the draft), so they’re not even part of the equation at this point. That said, I have said publicly on a number of occasions that if a quarterback, who is the right person was there, we would not hesitate to make that pick. We were prepared to do that last year and came awfully close to doing it. This year I think there is no question that if the right person were there, we would make the pick. Now who is the right person?

http://www.colts.com/news-and-events/article-1/THE-POLIAN-CORNER/66f43f64-ccbe-4f2b-b7a0-11a0c6e3f397

I certainly hope this is the case (+1 by the way)