Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mark Barron traded to the Rams

MTC

Why?

I wouldn't have minded if we offered a late round pick for him, like a 7th or conditional 6th.  Anything higher than a conditional 6th would have been too much, in my opinion.  He's been in the league for a few years, so he knows how things work.  Maybe some work under a veteran like Rob would have really helped him.  He was also projected as possibly the top overall pick his draft year before news about his knees came out.  He certainly wouldn't hurt our pass rush.  If he works out under that scenario, then we get a steal.  If he doesn't work out, then we don't give up very much.  Anyway, it's all moot now

That top ten of the 2012 draft isn't doing all that well outside of Luck and Kueckly.

Andrew Luck(good)

RGIII(hurt)

TRich(traded to Colts)

Matt Khalil(struggling)

Justin Blackmon(suspended)

Morris Claiborne(lost starting job)

Mark Barron(traded)

Ryan Tannehill(average but I like him)

Luke Kuechly(good)

Stephon Gilmore(I don't know how he is doing, think he is doing ok)

That top ten of the 2012 draft isn't doing all that well outside of Luck and Kueckly.

Andrew Luck(good)

RGIII(hurt)

TRich(traded to Colts)

Matt Khalil(struggling)

Mark Barron(traded)

Luke Kuechly(good)

Man.. If Blackmon kept his head out of the weeds (lol) then he would've been really good. I remember him being the only threat for that Jags O and still putting up monster stats.

Andrew Luck(good)

RGIII(Fragile: Handle With Care)

TRich(traded to Colts)

Matt Khalil(struggling)

Justin Blackmon(Career Over)

Morris Claiborne(Bust)

Mark Barron(traded)

Ryan Tannehill(Bust)

Luke Kuechly(good)

Stephon Gilmore(Average, but still playing solid)

Fixed :thmup:

Andrew Luck(good)

RGIII(hurt)

TRich(traded to Colts)

Matt Khalil(struggling)

Mark Barron(traded)

Luke Kuechly(good)

I think that top ten is solid. It's not great, but it's not awful like the top 10 from 2013 class. 2011 top 10 outside of the QBs was just awesome.

Hard to say Tannehil is a bust at this point. He's been improving every year so far. Next year is when he needs to take the leap and get his team into the playoffs.

Anytime a team even thinks of benching their 1st round pick, it's a problem.

Whether they do it or not, that thought should never come into their heads unless you're resting your starters.

Anytime a team even thinks of benching their 1st round pick, it's a problem.

Whether they do it or not, that thought should never come into their heads unless you're resting your starters.

And since that thought of "benching," Tannehill has performed very well.  7 Td, 4 Ints, 68%, and 3 wins.  And outside Wallace, Tannehill doesn't have any real weapons.  The term "bust" is reserved for guys like Geno and EJ imo.

And since that thought of "benching," Tannehill has performed very well. 7 Td, 4 Ints, 68%, and 3 wins. And outside Wallace, Tannehill doesn't have any real weapons. The term "bust" is reserved for guys like Geno and EJ imo.

Wallace is an overpaid one trick pony, hardly a weapon. Just has speed

And he has Hartline, Clay, and others. Hartline was their leading WR last year I do believe

Tannehill just isn't good. Wasn't good at A&M, not gonna be good in the NFL

Wallace is an overpaid one trick pony, hardly a weapon. Just has speed

And he has Hartline, Clay, and others. Hartline was their leading WR last year I do believe

Tannehill just isn't good. Wasn't good at A&M, not gonna be good in the NFL

If Tannehill wasn't good at A&M then there's now way he becomes a top 10 pick.  Where do you get this stuff?  Jury is still out on both Tannehill and Claiborne  ;)

Such as?  Who was bad in college but still got picked top 10?

I edited my comment, but here are examples of recent players who weren't good in college but picked high in the draft:

Blaine Gabbert, Dontari Poe, Ted Ginn Jr., Darrius Heyward-Bey, Vernon Gholston  (no idea why I put Gholston, maybe I was thinking of someone else?), Jake Locker, Ziggy Ensah, Barkevious Mingo, and Justin Gilbert. 

I edited my comment, but here are examples of recent players who weren't good in college but picked high in the draft:

Blaine Gabbert, Dontari Poe, Ted Ginn Jr., Darrius Heyward-Bey, Vernon Gholston  (no idea why I put Gholston, maybe I was thinking of someone else?), Jake Locker, Ziggy Ensah, Barkevious Mingo, and Justin Gilbert. 

the majority of these guys were "good" in college.  But I guess that depends on the definition of good.  Not elite by any means...Gabbert and Locker weren't Luck in college, but both put up solid numbers and showed improvement and potential.  Ansah, and Poe were both good but Poe showed inconsistency and both were very raw with little experience.  

so yeah, I think the argument could be made that all, or at least most, of these guys were good to some extent, so long as you're not confusing the word good with the word great or elite.

the majority of these guys were "good" in college. But I guess that depends on the definition of good. Not elite by any means...Gabbert and Locker weren't Luck in college, but both put up solid numbers and showed improvement and potential. Ansah, and Poe were both good but Poe showed inconsistency and both were very raw with little experience.

so yeah, I think the argument could be made that all, or at least most, of these guys were good to some extent, so long as you're not confusing the word good with the word great or elite.

You have a weird definition of good. Poe was legit terrible in college. Gabbert threw 16 TDs, Ansah had no production, and Locker was one of the least accurate passers in CFB.

You have a weird definition of good. Poe was legit terrible in college. Gabbert threw 16 TDs, Ansah had no production, and Locker was one of the least accurate passers in CFB.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what the point of all this back and forth is?   It's lost on me.

My understanding is that Poe has turned into a pretty good player.     Ansah as well.

And saying Ansah had no production is completely misleading.    He was learning the game on the fly.   Literally.

Polian had him in a couple of games he did for ESPN.    The first, early in the season, Polian said Ansah looked completely lost.   And then, in the 2nd game,  about 6-7 weeks later,  Polian said he could not believe the improvement.   Fantastic.

So, if you're a scout and you see someone 6'5", 270, and literally learning the game week by week and improving leaps and bounds you see an incredibly high ceiling if you can coach him up.     My understanding is that he had a really good rookie year and is following it up with a decent 2nd season.     The kid has raw talent that you can't teach.    Same with Poe.

Scouts live and die with players like this.......

Ultimately, I'm not sure what the point of all this back and forth is? It's lost on me.

My understanding is that Poe has turned into a pretty good player. Ansah as well.

And saying Ansah had no production is completely misleading. He was learning the game on the fly. Literally.

Polian had him in a couple of games he did for ESPN. The first, early in the season, Polian said Ansah looked completely lost. And then, in the 2nd game, about 6-7 weeks later, Polian said he could not believe the improvement. Fantastic.

So, if you're a scout and you see someone 6'5", 270, and literally learning the game week by week and improving leaps and bounds you see an incredibly high ceiling if you can coach him up. My understanding is that he had a really good rookie year and is following it up with a decent 2nd season. The kid has raw talent that you can't teach. Same with Poe.

We're not talking about their NFL careers, so idk what you're on about.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what the point of all this back and forth is?   It's lost on me.

My understanding is that Poe has turned into a pretty good player.     Ansah as well.

And saying Ansah had no production is completely misleading.    He was learning the game on the fly.   Literally.

Polian had him in a couple of games he did for ESPN.    The first, early in the season, Polian said Ansah looked completely lost.   And then, in the 2nd game,  about 6-7 weeks later,  Polian said he could not believe the improvement.   Fantastic.

So, if you're a scout and you see someone 6'5", 270, and literally learning the game week by week and improving leaps and bounds you see an incredibly high ceiling if you can coach him up.     My understanding is that he had a really good rookie year and is following it up with a decent 2nd season.     The kid has raw talent that you can't teach.    Same with Poe.

EXACTLY right...   

Some teams are prone to take the players with the "production"  over another with the "potential or workout warriors" .. 

Half of all these top 3 round players never work out.     In EVERY draft.    If a team can hit on 4 players who are legit starters you had a GREAT draft.   Grigs hit on his first 6 picks of the 12 draft, the 13 draft ...     mehhhh?  It all evens out, the teams that do a better job "scouting" are the ones that win.   Why did Polian lose his job?  His last several drafts were DUDS.   And it caught up with him.  

See, and this is why you should avoid drafting players from Alabama In the 1st round. They always come out with health issues, and then a lot of them are busts. Lets take a look at some of their 1st round picks recently:

-Dre Kirkpatrick (Hasn't done much and red-shirted his rookie season)

-Marcell Dareus (Good, top 5 DT)

-Mark Barron (bust)

-Mark Ingram (only just started to produce)

-Julio Jones (top 10 WR)

-Dee Millner (looks like a bust)

-Trent Richardson (jury is still out I guess, but hasn't lived up to #3 pick expectations and was traded)

-Donta Hightower (probably an average ILB at best)

-Chance Warmack (-3.5 grade from PFF, gets abused a lot)

-D.J. Fluker (often hurt, up and down play when he's healthy)

-haha Clinton-Dix (looked lost early on, seems to be okay now. Too early to judge fully I suppose)

-C.J. Mosely  (looks like a steal)

This is why I don't get all these guys screaming for the Colts to draft Landon Collins in the 1st round. The track record is not good for Alabama players. You're lucky if they actually play a full season their rookie year, since they all have nagging health injuries, but you're even luckier if they're actually good.