Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the verdict out on Werner yet? (Mega Merge)

superrep1967

Amazing what happens when you let a guy develop rather than rush to judgement just so you can have a quick opinion on the guy hunh? 

I will tell you who else has been impressive at rushing the passer is Newsome.  He's played well in the reps he's gotten. 

Yeah and he played for my Cardinals.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if Drew had an alternate agenda in this thread or not, but the truth is it's a combination of good scheme, good playcalling and great execution.  So credit should go to the HC, DC, the rest of the defensive staff and the players.   Hell even credit goes to Pep and the offense for starting games faster, running the ball better and overall being able to put together some nice drives that allows the defense to get a lot of rest.  

Good players make coaches look really good thanks Grigs. 

"It's kind of like a slap on the wrist," Buffalo Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes said Wednesday. "But it is what it is. It's the business."

"I'll just let the numbers speak for themselves," Hughes said. "I mean, he's a billionaire, so I'm pretty sure [$500,000] won't hurt too badly."

Those were his comments....He said nothing about the Colts or the brand or even Irsay as a person...He made an observation about the fine and voiced it...Now one could assume he made the comments because of his time here as a Colt....But I mean its a stretch really.....Being a 1st round pick who clearly should have not been a 1st round pick...He had tha raw skillset of a 1st rounder but had a lot of developing to do...But Polian reached....Fans automatically assume (Most) that if your a 1st round pick then your worthy of a 1st round pick and should produce from day one......However that's simply not the case...Its a process.....And for Hughes he was in a no win situation from the time he was drafted...Behind 2 possible hall of famers....Polian even came out and said he should have not drafted him and should have taken Saffold instead

He also came out with comments such as:

"It never really felt like home," Hughes said. "So that's why I'm not really too attached to there." (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/8/6/4594120/former-colts-first-round-bust-jerry-hughes-suggests-he-didnt-have-a)

I agree with you, he landed in a tough spot here and didn't get the playing time needed to develop so the bust label might have been unfair. But I will argue with people who say it was a bad trade because of what he went on to do in Buffalo. He wasn't ever going to produce like that here, partly because of the situation you described. 

As I said, happy that he's finally got going even if it's not as a Colt. 

Defense has actually been good this season. It seems they made adjustments after the Denver game and found a way to get sacks and pressures. The Bengals were missing a few weapons for sure, but the Colts D still smothered them. Gotta say that I was wrong about Manusky and the D.

Let me say that this along with the play of Sergio Brown show that Landry was without a doubt, the weak link on the team. Can't see how they bring him back next season.

He may have played hard but he didn't play well. Besides I think his parting shot comments and further comments on Irsay left nothing to the imagination when it came to what he thought of the Colts.

Good player, glad he's doing well in Buffalo, but to say he would have done well here is a fallacy.

He played well in his very limited role when switched to the 3-4. 6 sacks I believe? No reason to think he wouldn't have surpassed that mark the next year due to 1. Improvement in general and 2. More playing time.

He played well in his very limited role when switched to the 3-4. 6 sacks I believe? No reason to think he wouldn't have surpassed that mark the next year due to 1. Improvement in general and 2. More playing time.

No reason aside from he never really comfortable during his time here? Some players just need a change of team and this was one such case. 

His best year for us was his last in 2012 where totalled 4 sacks (not 6) as a 3rd year player. As a 2nd year player he only managed 1. Given the amount of stick Werner has had in him time here I find it funny people hold Hughes up so highly. Again the benefit of hindsight from seeing what he's done for the Bills but I really couldn't see him matching that level of production here. That's before we even get into looking at how much more talent the Bills have in their front 7 so no wonder his production shot up!

He also came out with comments such as:

"It never really felt like home," Hughes said. "So that's why I'm not really too attached to there." (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/8/6/4594120/former-colts-first-round-bust-jerry-hughes-suggests-he-didnt-have-a)

I agree with you, he landed in a tough spot here and didn't get the playing time needed to develop so the bust label might have been unfair. But I will argue with people who say it was a bad trade because of what he went on to do in Buffalo. He wasn't ever going to produce like that here, partly because of the situation you described. 

As I said, happy that he's finally got going even if it's not as a Colt.

I read the whole article and the quote and my feelings on Brad Wells related articles aside he comes off as going out of his way making some pretty demonstrative (and delusional some of it) statements about Hughes....Quite honestly I think he is agenda driven....And his agenda is BRAD WELLS...BRAD WELLS....BRAD WELLS!.....Ok so my feelings were not aside but I think they are accurate

I read the whole article and the quote and my feelings on Brad Wells related articles aside he comes off as going out of his way making some pretty demonstrative (and delusional some of it) statements about Hughes....Quite honestly I think he is agenda driven....And his agenda is BRAD WELLS...BRAD WELLS....BRAD WELLS!.....Ok so my feelings were not aside but I think they are accurate

Sorry I mean to add the rider it was a Brad Wells article :P But I do think there was a grain of truth to this one. 

Sorry I mean to add the rider it was a Brad Wells article :P But I do think there was a grain of truth to this one.

Actually I think Hughes is more right on this one unless he was just not good for the locker room fit for the team, Which is fine if they thought that.....Until you realize some of the other players who we signed who have questionable character or were not really a family type team player if that makes sense.....Laron Landry, Erik Walden, Da'Rick Rodgers....I think the decision was strictly based on projection of what Hughes was going to be now and years from now, Someone who can develop into an excellent pass rusher but will abandon run stopping duties......Personally I think it would have been worth it to let him finish his contract out and re-sign him to a short term cap friendly deal (2 years max) to see if he can develop the instincts and patience to run contain.

The link made reference to Hughes being a speed rusher (Which Mathis is as well)yet did not take into account Mathis is as well

No reason aside from he never really comfortable during his time here? Some players just need a change of team and this was one such case.

His best year for us was his last in 2012 where totalled 4 sacks (not 6) as a 3rd year player. As a 2nd year player he only managed 1. Given the amount of stick Werner has had in him time here I find it funny people hold Hughes up so highly. Again the benefit of hindsight from seeing what he's done for the Bills but I really couldn't see him matching that level of production here. That's before we even get into looking at how much more talent the Bills have in their front 7 so no wonder his production shot up!

He was playing out of position and was stuck behind Mathis/Freeney

I thought you could see it in the preseason he was so close so many times not just to sacks but making plays in general. I was down on Bjorn until I saw him in the preseason. I love the way he is playing now makes you wonder how far he would have come this year playing behind Mathis?