Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The pass rush [merge]

LordHelpOurColts

Better than what i expected with Mathis being out, hopefully Werner can ride his success today through the rest of the season, & was i mistaken or did Newsome get some pressure too?

He alllllmost had that one sack, he played well.

The entire front 7 is playing really well. We get Arthur Jones back after the Houston game I hope.

Werner has been so close to a game like this. He has been a 1/2 second away or just not quite able to finish all year. It was good to see him put it all together. Hopefully this is his break out game and we will see him finish off plays the rest of the year.

RJF is in the same boat. He has been close to making some noise. I have been impressed with our entire front seven. We gave up one big run and the long dump off pass to Forsett but that was so close to being a sack I can't remember who was taking Flacco down a he threw it I think it was Werner.

Ravens didn't get a lot of chunk plays. Pierce seemed to give them a boost was surprised they went away from him so quickly.

Game was not as close as the score indicates. Mosley was a solid addition for Baltimore that kid can play.

we have 12 sacks in 5 games so not bad 

Not bad considering people were up in arms over the team & their perceived lack of ability to get to the qb. Bjoern Werner has looked pretty damn good the last few weeks while the only thing that stopped the safety on Bortles in the Jags game was a penalty for hands to the face. I think this man will give the Texans fits on Thursday. 

Not bad considering people were up in arms over the team & their perceived lack of ability to get to the qb. Bjoern Werner has looked pretty damn good the last few weeks while the only thing that stopped the safety on Bortles in the Jags game was a penalty for hands to the face. I think this man will give the Texans fits on Thursday. 

The reason some were up in arms as you say is the lack of sacks in the first two games. It's not a lack of perception when you have zero sacks.

I feel bad for Newsome, as he could of had that sack, but Werner had a huge game. 6 tackles, 2 sacks, lots of pressure, and I saw at least 1 pass tipped and defended as well. I think Werner just needed to get comfortable at his position and we can expect more going forward now from him. Every game won't be this good, but I think 10 sacks isn't out of the question for sure. Tackles aren't said to be an important stat by some, but I think they warrant some credit, especially when they are for loss or it stops a huge gain or td. Werner is going to be a starter all year, so hopefully he makes the best out of it.

To Pagano and Manusky for the aggressive play calling and the creative blitzing! 4th and 1 in the red zone was a great call (even though we didn't make it). 

Also, our pass rush was killing one of the best O-Lines in football. The creative blitzing was excellent. Our defense won this game for us.

Keep up the good work gentlemen. 

Thank-You-Kind-Sir-Cat.jpg

(SIRS)

To Pagano and Manusky for the aggressive play calling and the creative blitzing! 4th and 1 in the red zone was a great call (even though we didn't make it). 

Also, our pass rush was killing one of the best O-Lines in football. The creative blitzing was excellent. Our defense won this game for us.

Keep up the good work gentlemen. 

Thank-You-Kind-Sir-Cat.jpg

(SIRS)

Why the hell was this merged from it's own thread?? 

I feel bad for Newsome, as he could of had that sack, but Werner had a huge game. 6 tackles, 2 sacks, lots of pressure, and I saw at least 1 pass tipped and defended as well. I think Werner just needed to get comfortable at his position and we can expect more going forward now from him. Every game won't be this good, but I think 10 sacks isn't out of the question for sure. Tackles aren't said to be an important stat by some, but I think they warrant some credit, especially when they are for loss or it stops a huge gain or td. Werner is going to be a starter all year, so hopefully he makes the best out of it.

I feel that was his "Welcome to the NFL" moment where he realized that NFL QBs are bigger and stronger than those in the MAC that he's used to. He'll learn from that I hope and put more force in getting those big boys to the ground.

I think we've done a good job of getting pressure with blitzs. The issue is that typically leaves man coverage on the back end....thank goodness Toler and Davis have been lights out. With our safeties I worry about putting that pressure on our back end but they have lived up so far. Basically we have had good play all around. I would prefer to get pressure without blitzing but we just don't have the studs for that. I'm super excited how well we've played given our losses and look forward to getting people back.

Better than what i expected with Mathis being out, hopefully Werner can ride his success today through the rest of the season, & was i mistaken or did Newsome get some pressure too?

Yeah it was Newsome who had Flacco wrapped up, but couldn't finish the sack which lead to a huge Ravens play.

Yeah, I admit i.  I was one of the strong criticizers of Werner.  He wasn't getting it done.  Getting pressures wasn't enough, you have to get the QB on the ground.  Yesterday he did his job and deserves accolades.  Ravens had the 6th best offense in the NFL so there is some firepower there.  The Colts played good complimentary football.  They got up early and controlled the clock and that really helped the defense.  The D was fresh and never allowed the Raven's Oline to dictate.  They got off the field on 3rd down - always a bell weather for this team

Oh by the way, sacks is more than one. Sack would be one. I didn't know I needed to teach an English class in this thread.

You are correct congratulations sacks is plural. But you might want to find another teacher because my original posted was quoted from you saying "zero sacks" which is what I meant. 1 sack is 1 more than zero sacks.

Nice try though!

You are correct congratulations sacks is plural. But you might want to find another teacher because my original posted was quoted from you saying "zero sacks" which is what I meant. 1 sack is 1 more than zero sacks.

Nice try though!

Well if it means that much to you then feel free to feel good about yourself. You get a star for your folder for the day. Now don't forget to have your parents sign the form sent home with you.

The reason some were up in arms as you say is the lack of sacks in the first two games. It's not a lack of perception when you have zero sacks.

LOL, true. Zero sacks is incontrovertible evidence of a pass rush problem, at least for the first 2 games. And those first 2 games must not be forgotten, since it's teams like those they'll have to face in the playoffs.