Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints Safety Jarius Byrd tore Meniscus, to IR

HtownColt

I don't really remember your thoughts on him, but a lot of people wanted him.

I was one of them.  Just didn't want to pay the $12 million that he eventually earned knowing we would have to sign Vontae to a big deal, too.  But most of the conversation revolved around what a safety brings to your defense and how you'd be better off spending big money on a player elsewhere on defense - i.e. pass rusher.

No way was he better than Keenan Lewis.. he's acutally been horrible this year.

Keenan Lewis has been playing pretty badly this year. Look at him against the Browns Andrew Hawkins was all over him that game. And burned him to set up the winning FG.

I was one of them.  Just didn't want to pay the $12 million that he eventually earned knowing we would have to sign Vontae to a big deal, too.  But most of the conversation revolved around what a safety brings to your defense and how you'd be better off spending big money on a player elsewhere on defense - i.e. pass rusher.

Ah, yeah, I think we needed to get better closer to the ball -- and still do, by the way. Hard to swallow paying a safety that kind of money, unless you're already really good up front.

That Byrd is now hurt again is just a coincidence.

Ah, yeah, I think we needed to get better closer to the ball -- and still do, by the way. Hard to swallow paying a safety that kind of money, unless you're already really good up front.

That was my thought of course he would be a nice player to have but not for that kind of money. It just seems that big $$ FA signings go south for one reason or another. It just isn't a good way to improve/build.  Too bad for the Saints and Byrd. I hate to see anyone get hurt.

Well, he wasn't playing very well before the injury either.  Could have been due in part to his injury, we may never know.  But it certainly supports the point that if you aren't good up front, it doesn't matter if you have a HOF secondary.  QBs with minutes to throw will pick apart any D.

No way was he better than Keenan Lewis.. he's acutally been horrible this year.

We let Malcolm Jenkins go who didn't do anything for us, so far this season he has 3 interceptions in Philadelphia.

Saints have a history of not using players correctly and then letting them go only for it to bite us back in the butt.

I argued vehemently for us to sign Byrd....and Keenan Lewis the year before that.

(please hold your laughter)

Keenan Lewis is solid. Would've been good to have Vontae & Keenan but Toler has started to come on and be the CB he was expected to be when he inked his name on that contract here