Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JAX @ IND post-game discussion: coaching and playcalling

21isSuperman

There were some really nice calls on both sides this game. Of course what stood out to me is Pep's complete obliviousness to the fact that never has the jumbo set, obvious running situation ever worked for us in goal line situations. I do however like the play where they do that and instead throw the Bradshaw in the corner. I understand our stubborness to run at the goal line probably makes the latter play possible, but it is still dumb. I'd grade the coaching overall as a B, overall did a very good job of wrecking Jax. 

There were some really nice calls on both sides this game. Of course what stood out to me is Pep's complete obliviousness to the fact that never has the jumbo set, obvious running situation ever worked for us in goal line situations. I do however like the play where they do that and instead throw the Bradshaw in the corner. I understand our stubborness to run at the goal line probably makes the latter play possible, but it is still dumb. I'd grade the coaching overall as a B, overall did a very good job of wrecking Jax. 

We only ran that set when we were up 4 TDs, so I'm not sure it's obliviousness. The earlier goal line situations were effective. I thought the late game jumbo runs were a preseason kind of situation, like let's see if we can run when everyone knows we're going to.

We only ran that set when we were up 4 TDs, so I'm not sure it's obliviousness. The earlier goal line situations were effective. I thought the late game jumbo runs were a preseason kind of situation, like let's see if we can run when everyone knows we're going to.

I'm talking we've done that going back to last season, proving each time that we can't. But he keeps trying it anyways. Its not just goal line, it's 3rd and shorts as well. The earlier goal line situations in the game, we didn't run it. I think we only have like 1 run TD this year so it's obvious that the our OL isn't going to blow them off the LOS and let us score TDs straight in the middle. 

The offensive playcalling was better today. There was still a head scratching draw on a 3rd and 9 early (I want to say it was the first drive) but overall better.

Now it would be nice if the whole world didn't happen to be looking at pep going "wth?" for that to happen.

It would also be nice for it to happen against someone other than the Jags, but whatever, I'll take it.

So a couple botched goaline stands make the overall coaching grade a B? That's rough bro

Prior to contrary belief this day and age, A is reserved for performances that show that you are far superior to whatever you are being tested against. Today's A is pretty much a B- from the past. I did contemplate saying B/B+ so I'd give it a solid 87/100. 

Edit: Some of the bad plays were Luck audibles so it can't all be put on Pep either. 

Agreed I wish Pep and the offensive coaches would get this fixed in regards to our struggles running the ball on short yardage situations.

I thought they did better today as well.  We involved the tight ends more, even though Fleener dropped an easy TD (bad dog, bad!).  A few botched calls through the game, but we at least did not try screen after screen after screen like last week.

I hope we follow today's model for the rest of the season.  We CAN have a QB with over 300 yards and a 100 yard plus rushing game, it's not either/or as some have eluded to in the past couple weeks.

There's all kinds of short throws and other things you can do out of those jumbo sets even when it appears that we will be running. It's not as predictable as you think it is. Why do you think Luck was able to hit so many play action passes today?

I'm talking we've done that going back to last season, proving each time that we can't. But he keeps trying it anyways. Its not just goal line, it's 3rd and shorts as well. The earlier goal line situations in the game, we didn't run it. I think we only have like 1 run TD this year so it's obvious that the our OL isn't going to blow them off the LOS and let us score TDs straight in the middle. 

Going back to last season, our offensive line was much different than it is now. The hope is that we can run the ball when it's time for us to run the ball, and you can't do that unless you try against live competition. 

Like you said, the earlier goal line situations are more indicative of how we're going to call plays in that situation, especially since we've done that several times so far this season. But when we have a chance to work on something that we haven't been able to do very well, it makes sense to me that we try. Our main guys against their main guys, rather than preseason when they're at half strength and we're at half strength, when no one has really gameplanned, etc. Today we failed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us continue to work on our short yardage rushing offense, rather than just abandoning it all together. If we can get that working, it makes our goal line play action stuff even more effective.

I liked that we opened the game with that unbalanced formation that worked so well last week running the ball, and immediately went play action off of it. That was a great deviation from the trend we established last week. Good play calling overall on offense, but I'd still like to see the no-huddle spread attack featured more. Pep/Pagano are becoming more and more enamored with those jumbo formations again. I'd don't mind it in moderation, but taking our best weapons off the field for half the game doesn't seem like smart offensive football, to me anyways

Because sometimes it works. We gave up a first down on a draw play on 3rd and 15 last week.

Sure, sometimes it works. But 90% of the time it doesn't. Odds are much better getting a first down passing as opposed to running on 3rd and 9

If we are talking about that 3rd and 9 play in the 1st Quarter I think I'd pass on that play with Bradshaw running some form of screen pass play up the middle considering both Mewhort and Shipley were up on the Linebackers so quick...though that's more hindsight and cant be predicted they would have been up on the Linebackers so quick).....Now that I see the replay they both got quicker jumps off the ball then I thought and used good technique...especially Shipley.

Or since we did run it then I'd sub Fleener for Allen and run more north south with Allen going up to block the Safety reacting late to the run

Sure, sometimes it works. But 90% of the time it doesn't. Odds are much better getting a first down passing as opposed to running on 3rd and 9

Generally, we'd throw it. I don't mind the draw play on 3rd and long every now and then. It would irritate me in a close game, or later in the game, but right there... ehh.