Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is Regressing Under this Regime

High Valyrian

A simple motion accomplishes this. 

I didn't like the gimmick set, as I saw no attempt to truly exploit using this form. 

I do find it curious, however, that we finally see what Pep's offense intends the running game to  function as, and the passing game goes to hell. 

I don't know for sure what the motivation behind it was, but I think It was a simple motion, not a gimmick set.  Judging by the way Hitlon was looking around and that he just ran out to the flat, I think Luck just forgot to send him back after he looked over the D.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck has steadily gotten better overall since his rookie season, but I think this is mostly due to simply becoming acclimated to the NFL. It certainly isn't because Pep Hamilton is his OC. Luck progressed tremendously in year 1, not so much in year 2. One thing I think Luck did get considerably better with last year was not trying to force throws to covered receivers as he did in year 1. Outside of that though, I never got the sense Luck was nearly as dangerous in year 2 as in year 1, and that has continued this year. Luck has been slapped with a handicap with the current OC.

Hamilton really needs to be shown the door. Does anyone really think Luck is going to continue to grow with him as OC? The man is learning on the job himself. Having an aggressive OC who has Luck throw the ball and throw it a lot gives the Colts their best chance to win, and would also balance out Pagano's conservative tendencies. Having Hamilton just compound those conservative tendencies has been beyond maddening as a fan to watch with an offense this good.

He pointed out some valid concerns, same stuff I'm seeing. Such as; Our offensive formations being all over the place and telegraphing to the defense by way of our formation what our intentions are. Highlighted by myself would be passing when we should run (interception play) and running when we should pass (2+ minutes left, tie game and we seem to be playing for overtime, not the win). 

Dilfer pointed out that perhaps Luck doesn't trust what we're doing, and when I see a 2 minute offense start with 2 runs, I have to say, I'm pretty distrustful of what we're doing as well

Mind reader he is I guess.....cue the Twilight Zone music.

Trying to move the clock is done every week ruk.  PI call....we win the game...

Do you really understand so little about football?  Pep did not have TY as FB, TY was lined up at WR and Luck brought him in, it wasn't so TY could be the lead blocker he brought him in the see if the if the LBers or safeties were playing zone or man coverage and what their reads were.

i wasn't actually watching the game i was busy doing something at the time...all i heard from who ever was commentating the game was that pep had hilton in as a fb...i didn't actually see the play...or the formation ....but thanks for the breakdown

I don't know for sure what the motivation behind it was, but I think It was a simple motion, not a gimmick set.  Judging by the way Hitlon was looking around and that he just ran out to the flat, I think Luck just forgot to send him back after he looked over the D.

Ahhh....yes. I remember the set, but after the late game collapse, I forgot what ever became of that play. 

do we expect too much because he was the first pick in the draft?

No, Most expect to much because of who came before him. There is a lot that goes into how a player progresses coming out of college...at any position, How a player is used for example.......I'd say the biggest reason a huge majority of players fail is because some stubborn coach not adjusting to the talent he has......regardless its a process with a lot of players coming out of college, Most aren't strong enough (especially on the D Line and O Line and Linebackers).......many did not run a pro style offense, He is still learning.....as is many of the players around him

One takeaway I'm getting from a lot of these posts is that I'm very happy a lot of you guys aren't coaching or running a team. I'm not saying Pep is great or good (he's meh)  but some one you don't know crap from apple butter let alone how to run an offense. Not that I do, but some of these posts are either Andy Kaufman level genius or Charles Manson crazy.

I wonder .....

If being the MOST HIT QB IN THE NFL has anything to do with this ... ??? hmmmmfmmm? Oh and the fact the OL is not getting better, and .... oh .... NO RUNNING GAME? hmmmmmmmm?

shhheessshshh

I thought that Luck had plenty of time to throw the ball on Monday. Line protection is much improved from last year.

He pointed out some valid concerns, same stuff I'm seeing. Such as; Our offensive formations being all over the place and telegraphing to the defense by way of our formation what our intentions are. Highlighted by myself would be passing when we should run (interception play) and running when we should pass (2+ minutes left, tie game and we seem to be playing for overtime, not the win). 

Dilfer pointed out that perhaps Luck doesn't trust what we're doing, and when I see a 2 minute offense start with 2 runs, I have to say, I'm pretty distrustful of what we're doing as well

The Colts last drive with 3:25 left and two or three times out left running the ball is just fine, there is no reason to start passing the ball all over the place, nor does the team want to score too quickly.  Those two runs got the Colts into 3rd and 5.  Most Qbs and coaches are happy with 3rd and 5 that should be a high percentage conversion.

One takeaway I'm getting from a lot of these posts is that I'm very happy a lot of you guys aren't coaching or running a team. I'm not saying Pep is great or good (he's meh)  but some one you don't know crap from apple butter let alone how to run an offense. Not that I do, but some of these posts are either Andy Kaufman level genius or Charles Manson crazy.

HMMMM....I know I am crazy...and I did not care for Andy Kaufman.....Who am I?  Where am I?  I better take the dogs out :)

Trying to move the clock is done every week ruk.

Yes, but I'll ask you, someone I know is not a dummy and has been around the block as a fan of the game, how many 2 minute offenses have you EVER seen start with two runs? We were playing safe, too safe I'm afraid, and the failure was something one would not require the gift of hindsight to know this is a bad idea. 

PI call....we win the game...

I don't like it when people do this. This is a misnomer of the highest degree. It forsakes any sense of what may have happened afterward. Maybe Trent fumbles for the 3rd time that game? Maybe Adam misses? Just because a defensive hold wasn't called (or PI if you wish), it doesn't suggest we had that game bagged. 

Yes, but I'll ask you, someone I know is not a dummy and has been around the block as a fan of the game, how many 2 minute offenses have you EVER seen start with two runs? We were playing safe, too safe I'm afraid, and the failure was something one would not require the gift of hindsight to know this is a bad idea. 

I don't like it when people do this. This is a misnomer of the highest degree. It forsakes any sense of what may have happened afterward. Maybe Trent fumbles for the 3rd time that game? Maybe Adam misses? Just because a defensive hold wasn't called (or PI if you wish), it doesn't suggest we had that game bagged. 

We are NOT in a 2 minute offense there.  We are running the clock down...huge difference.

I rarely blame refs for a game....we were going to score even if Andrew had to run it himself as always.  sure AV 'could' have missed.  Highly unlikey from close range....this one was blatant and it hurts.  This loss hurts more than a 30-0 blowout.  I have been on both ends of it.

The Colts last drive with 3:25 left and two or three times out left running the ball is just fine, there is no reason to start passing the ball all over the place, nor does the team want to score too quickly.  Those two runs got the Colts into 3rd and 5.  Most Qbs and coaches are happy with 3rd and 5 that should be a high percentage conversion.

The Colts are 8 of 25 on 3rd down in 2014. 

Still sound like a good idea? 

Tell me guys, why in the 1st place Colts wants to be run 1st offense in this passing league?? What is the point?

This whole "passing league" thing is getting way out of hand.  It's making people think that you can't win without airing the ball out all the time.  That is simply not true.  Look at 3 of the final 4 teams last year...NE, Sea and SF...all got there because of their ability to run the ball.  The whole "Indy is forcing a power running game" is also incorrect.  They're trying to create a balanced offense.  An offense that can both run and throw the ball.  They are not necessarily trying to create a run-first, run-heavy offense.  That's the way the offense started out last year but Pep has adapted the offense a lot since then.  

i do think pep is wasting Lucks talent...the guy needs to get it together or leave! his play calling is so questionable...for god sakes he had t.y as a full back.... really pep??? pep needs to let Luck take more control of the offense..i'm not a fan of pep's at all

As far as TY lined up as a FB, Gavin already covered but just want to add that many teams line up WR's in the backfield all the time.  This is not new.  Pep did not have TY being a lead blocker on that play so TY was not actually used as a FB.

To your point about Luck taking more control of the offense...it was said numerous times throughout the offseason that Luck was being given more control and would be given complete control at the LOS.  He has been making adjustments and calling audibles so far in both games.  I'm sure that a number of playcalls that you've hated were called by Luck and not Pep.

Luck isn't regressing under this regime...He simply is not progressing as quick as some would like

Out of Likes but definitely agreed.  The issues he's having are issues he's had since coming into the league.  He just hasn't been able to correct them as fast as people expected.  

We are NOT in a 2 minute offense there.  We are running the clock down...huge difference.

I rarely blame refs for a game....we were going to score even if Andrew had to run it himself as always.  sure AV 'could' have missed.  Highly unlikey from close range....this one was blatant and it hurts.  This loss hurts more than a 30-0 blowout.  I have been on both ends of it.

You. Do. Not. Run. The. Clock. Down. In. That. Situation.

You don't do it, ever. That's playing to the tie, playing for OT. You run the clock down once in range, not at the start of the drive. Pep is yet another in a long line of college to pro failures, I am no longer a supporter of his. He is out of his league and it was a huge mistake to bring him here. At this point, I'm surprised we haven't hired the Stanford landscaping crew as well. 

sure AV 'could' have missed. 

You remember that game in SD where Peyton threw like 247 interceptions and we STILL had a shot to win? Adam missed a sub-30 yarder to lose the game. 

We need to just pump the brakes a little with the guy!  He is only in his third season.  Stop with the Hall of Fame talk.  Stop with the MVP talk.  Stop with the top 5 quarterback talk.   Just let the man develop a little bit before putting all of that unnecessary pressure on him.  Every young player has his ups and downs  Luck is no different. 

The man refuses to lose and puts himself on the line every game holding nothing back.  That is enough for now.   Maybe someday the MVPs and Hall of Fame will come but we need to be patient as he grows into that.

i wasn't actually watching the game i was busy doing something at the time...all i heard from who ever was commentating the game was that pep had hilton in as a fb...i didn't actually see the play...or the formation ....but thanks for the breakdown

Well, I'm glad I could help teach a life lesson... never form an opinion based on what someone else says. ;)

This whole "passing league" thing is getting way out of hand.  It's making people think that you can't win without airing the ball out all the time.  That is simply not true.  Look at 3 of the final 4 teams last year...NE, Sea and SF...all got there because of their ability to run the ball.  The whole "Indy is forcing a power running game" is also incorrect.  They're trying to create a balanced offense.  An offense that can both run and throw the ball.  They are not necessarily trying to create a run-first, run-heavy offense.  That's the way the offense started out last year but Pep has adapted the offense a lot since then.  

As far as TY lined up as a FB, Gavin already covered but just want to add that many teams line up WR's in the backfield all the time.  This is not new.  Pep did not have TY being a lead blocker on that play so TY was not actually used as a FB.

To your point about Luck taking more control of the offense...it was said numerous times throughout the offseason that Luck was being given more control and would be given complete control at the LOS.  He has been making adjustments and calling audibles so far in both games.  I'm sure that a number of playcalls that you've hated were called by Luck and not Pep.

Out of Likes but definitely agreed.  The issues he's having are issues he's had since coming into the league.  He just hasn't been able to correct them as fast as people expected.  

Excellent post!  In fact, I would suggest that a primary reason those 3 teams got to the conference championship was because they were running in a league where everyone else is gearing up to defend the pass.

That is what you see when you look at Belichick.  He is always one step ahead.  When he sees Goodell fining defensive backs for violent hits he gets Wes Welker and Randy Moss and attacks with a relentless shotgun passing attack.  When he sees bigger corners coming into the game he gets two monster tight ends to attack the center of the field.  When everyone else is defending the pass he runs.

HMMMM....I know I am crazy...and I did not care for Andy Kaufman.....Who am I?  Where am I?  I better take the dogs out :)

haha, you certainly aren't on the Manson side of the graph. There are level headed people on the Kaufman side, I believe you reside there. :thmup:

The only difference I see is that they're strangely allowed to sell apple butter. 

While I'd never go out of my way to get apple butter I can tolerate it. I mean I prefer it to cottage cheese on a piece of toast.

Its only been 2 games, so we would have to see the situation to see if the poor conversion rate was due to poor execution, or strange play calling, or just good defense by the other team.

My sense is that Luck looks to Reggie too much on third downs, which is a hold over from last year.  Overall, I think he looks to his WRs too much, either in his decision making or the playcalling.

The TEs and RBs aren't being used enough as short yardage receivers, IMO.  Maybe they are forced to stay in and block due to the OL, or maybe the TEs aren't getting open.  I think its the latter.

Last game, Jack Doyle made more significant plays receiving and blocking than did Fleenerallen.

While I'd never go out of my way to get apple butter I can tolerate it. I mean I prefer it to cottage cheese on a piece of toast.

If the choice was apple butter or Rosie O'Donnell's boogers, I'm desperately searching for the best way to cook Rosie O'Donnell's boogers.  

The TEs and RBs aren't being used enough as short yardage receivers, IMO.  Maybe they are forced to stay in and block due to the OL, or maybe the TEs aren't getting open.  I think its the latter.

This is a stat from last year. Out of 35 eligible QB's in 2013, Luck ranked 30th in completed passes of 10 yards or more. 

That is.....very concerning and I have to say again, Arians' offense suited Luck and this stat would never happen under Arians. Pep's offense is ....offensive. To me. Very offensive. 

You. Do. Not. Run. The. Clock. Down. In. That. Situation.

You don't do it, ever. That's playing to the tie, playing for OT. You run the clock down once in range, not at the start of the drive. Pep is yet another in a long line of college to pro failures, I am no longer a supporter of his. He is out of his league and it was a huge mistake to bring him here. At this point, I'm surprised we haven't hired the Stanford landscaping crew as well. 

You remember that game in SD where Peyton threw like 247 interceptions and we STILL had a shot to win? Adam missed a sub-30 yarder to lose the game. 

I give up....you are clueless.

I am just going to disagree and move on.  Your points on Pep are ludicrous.  Like him or not.

I don't think the play calling has been bad this year for the most part. I think Luck just hasn't played well. He seemed oblivious to the blitz, even though the eagles kept doing the same exact one over and over. He also missed quite a lot of easy-medium difficulty throws. I think everyone wanted to anoint Luck as the 5th best qb in the league, but it's going to take some time for him to get there, which is okay. Personally, I think we should have ran the ball even more last night. It was working, the eagles had no answer for it, and Luck clearly was off.

One slightly disturbing stat about Luck I heard on SVP on Espn today was that going back to last year, out of 34 qualified quarterbacks, Luck is the ranked 30th in pass completion percentage on throws 10+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Did you watch the second half of the game? The fit better on stopping the run, which was made evident by the two runs for 6 yards on that final drive. And luck has always been very inaccurate throwing to people down field cause he seems to forget how to lead his receivers at times.

The Colts are 8 of 25 on 3rd down in 2014. 

Still sound like a good idea? 

Come one Ruksak, do you really think their overall 3rd down conversions is relevant?  It's 3rd and 5 and yes I don't have a problem with the Colts running the ball twice to start the drive.  That's not playing for OT, that is sticking with what was working and putting the ball int he hot hands which was the running game, not Luck's throwing.

There was plenty of time on the clock (3:25) the Colts had two or three outs (I think two but I don't remember) and the 2 minute warning and all they need is a FG for the win, so they don't have to march 80 yards.  The absolute worst thing to do in that situation is go away from the game plan that got you there.

I give up....you are clueless.

I am just going to disagree and move on.  Your points on Pep are ludicrous.  Like him or not.

Why can't people disagree without personal remarks? 

If you think it's ludicrous to point out that you don't run the clock out when the game is tied and you have 80 frickin' yards ahead, you must think damn near every sports commentator is in err. Because I have yet to hear anyone with credentials support such an approach to a tie game. 

Come one Ruksak, do you really think their overall 3rd down conversions is relevant?  It's 3rd and 5 and yes I don't have a problem with the Colts running the ball twice to start the drive.  That's not playing for OT, that is sticking with what was working and putting the ball int he hot hands which was the running game, not Luck's throwing.

There was plenty of time on the clock (3:25) the Colts had two or three outs (I think two but I don't remember) and the 2 minute warning and all they need is a FG for the win, so they don't have to march 80 yards.  The absolute worst thing to do in that situation is go away from the game plan that got you there.

Exactly...maybe you can talk some sense into the skunk.  :funny:   I am done.

Why can't people disagree without personal remarks? 

If you think it's ludicrous to point out that you don't run the clock out when the game is tied and you have 80 frickin' yards ahead, you must think damn near every sports commentator is in err. Because I have yet to hear anyone with credentials support such an approach to a tie game. 

Sorry...at wits end over your lack of knowledge of when to run a 2 minute offense and usage of the clock.

My apology if I hurt your feelings.  Your All Cap remark ticked me off.  

Did you watch the second half of the game? The fit better on stopping the run, which was made evident by the two runs for 6 yards on that final drive. And luck has always been very inaccurate throwing to people down field cause he seems to forget how to lead his receivers at times.

So two runs on the final drive for 6 yards is awful and suggets we shouldn't have run it more earlier in the game? No. If we got stuffed for no yards or minus yards, you might have a point, but 3 yards per carry is effective in terms of moving the ball. We got at least 3 yards on almost every carry all game long. I'm not just talking about the final drive, during the second half we should have ran it more. If a team can't stop one part of your attack, and the other part isn't working, you stick with the part that wasn't being stopped.

Tell me guys, why in the 1st place Colts wants to be run 1st offense in this passing league?? What is the point?

We have QB, WRs,TEs,RBs to be high scoring passing offense, but no.. we stubbornly wanna "out mucsle" opponents.

At the same time we throw Luck`s precious early years and talent out of the window to become profilic passer which in turn would give us almost a free pass to playoffs for years to come. THIS IS PASSING LEAGUE.

We really have to get rid of Pep and maybe even Pagano. Im so salty that Arians got the job from Cards. Good for Bruce ofc, what a nice guy, but as a big time Colts fan this sucks and Pep/Pagano might be the reason Luck never ever reaches his potential, loses his confidence etc.

Win or not vs. Eagles, or 11-5 season or not, but i am not happy with direction Pagano/Pep is trying to go. All the rules says Pass the freakin ball, even if u dont complete, chances are defense gets flagged and chains are moving.

Passing game needs rhythm to work, running game doesnt. And when we almost always run-run, Luck and Co has all the pressure to complete those 3-medium-longs without rhythm. We all have seen climpses of greatness, when Luck and Co comes from behind with no huddle and its nothing to do with Pagano/Pep.

-Colts Fan from Finland

Well said. I couldn't agree more

I think a teams 3rd down conversion ratio is one of the most important stats on the team's performance, yes. It says a lot about a team. It says; 1) How often does your team get into 3rd down (conversion on 2nd down is critical ala Peyton's wisdom). 2) How often a team can sustain a drive.

....and Philly was in damn near exactly the same scenario once we went 3 and out, save for the time was down to about 2 minutes. What plays did they call and how did that turn out for them? Yeah.......

Anywho, you don't want to plan on a FG in that situation. You want to plan on scoring a TD after securing the FG position. Running time off the clock should not even have been a factor until we established the drive in earnest. Not until the FG range has been accomplished do we want to start making the clock our friend. Clock be damned until the drive takes foot. What we did was run off just enough time to screw ourselves. Hence why my brilliant football mind cannot wrap itself around the idea of milking a clock when you DON'T HAVE THE GOSH DARNED LEAD.

I think a teams 3rd down conversion ratio is one of the most important stats on the team's performance, yes. It says a lot about a team. It says; 1) How often does your team get into 3rd down (conversion on 2nd down is critical ala Peyton's wisdom). 2) How often a team can sustain a drive.

....and Philly was in damn near exactly the same scenario once we went 3 and out, save for the time was down to about 2 minutes. What plays did they call and how did that turn out for them? Yeah.......

Anywho, you don't want to plan on a FG in that situation. You want to plan on scoring a TD after securing the FG position. Running time off the clock should not even have been a factor until we established the drive in earnest. Not until the FG range has been accomplished do we want to start making the clock our friend. Clock be damned until the drive takes foot. What we did was run off just enough time to screw ourselves. Hence why my brilliant football mind cannot wrap itself around the idea of milking a clock when you DON'T HAVE THE GOSH DARNED LEAD.

Agree 100%

The play calling on the last drive was utterly stupid, and that is not lost on every single nfl mind I have heard in the media since the game when talking out it on the air and print.  Why some here can't seem to get that through their heads is beyond me.

Sorry...at wits end over your lack of knowledge of when to run a 2 minute offense and usage of the clock.

My apology if I hurt your feelings.  Your All Cap remark ticked me off.  

It wasn't an all caps response. I used a period at the end of each word to extort emphasis, no intent on being a jerk. You see (and I thought y'all knew me better), I was just being goofy. Typed text doesn't convey humor well, I know this, but I often come in here a bit lose (puff puff pass) and I see all these people coming unhinged, being all super serious and ticked off. I can't do that, not typically anyhow. 

I'll discuss the game with total complete strangers with the same humor and oddball disposition that I would with my best of friends, and disagree wholeheartedly without ever allowing anger to enter the mix. Sorry I got ya mad, didn't mean to. I did mean to destroy you into utter obliteration with my super cool football facts, but nevertheless, you are unphased and still charging. Time to break out the big guns. Which are actually thousands of little guns. pew pew.....die....die all of you pew pew gun-toot-smiley.gif?1292867611

It wasn't an all caps response. I used a period at the end of each word to extort emphasis, no intent on being a jerk. you see (and I thought y'all knew me better) I was just being goofy. Typed text doesn't convey humor well, I know this, but I often come in here a bit lose (puff puff pass) and I see all these people coming unhinged, being all super serious and * off. I can't do that, not typically anyhow. 

I'll discuss the game with total complete strangers with the same humor and oddball disposition that I would with my best of friends, and disagree wholeheartedly without ever allowing anger to enter the mix. Sorry I got ya mad, didn't mean to. I did mean to destroy you into utter obliteration with my super cool football facts, but nevertheless, you are unphased and still charging. Time to break out the big guns. Which are actually thousands of little guns. pew pew.....die....die all of you pew pew gun-toot-smiley.gif?1292867611

OK...now that's funny!  :)

Chud is here....why is he not helping to game plan?....that is his job.  Just sayin...

BTW I loved Tom Moore....

Maybe he is.  

I don't know enough about Chud to conclude that he's the best answer, personally.  Is he a spread-it-out type of coach, or another disciple of the old ground-n-pound philosophy?

Maybe he is.  

I don't know enough about Chud to conclude that he's the best answer, personally.  Is he a spread-it-out type of coach, or another disciple of the old ground-n-pound philosophy?

Right now it is Pep's offense.  He IS part of the game planning.  My point has been it is not all on one guy...Luck Pep etc...

Right now it is Pep's offense.  He IS part of the game planning.  My point has been it is not all on one guy...Luck Pep etc...

Regardless I wouldn't think that many would argue that Tom Moore would be a huge upgrade, over Pep, Chud and anyone else that is currently involved.  He would bring in a Ferrari and give the keys to #12.

Exactly, there was close to 3 and a half minutes when that drive started and the Colts still had 2 timeouts as well.  There was more than enough time for them to move down and score and they obviously, and smartly, wanted to take as much time off the clock as possible to leave as little time for Philly when they got the ball back.  The first run went for 6 yards, and the second for -1.  As Coffee said, that left 3rd and 5 which is more than do-able.