Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts FO

IndyTrav

Have they failed us?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. In the last 5 years has the FO failed the Colts?

The Colts have been widely regarded as one of the best teams in the NFL for nearly 10 years now. While most of the love gets shared amongst Peyton and the Front Office, lets take a look at what the FO has done for us in recent years. 2005-2010

The Colts have had 52 draft picks in that span (although 2010 is still up in the air):

Pro Bowlers-

Joesph Addai- 2007

Antoine Bethea 2007, 2009

Starters:

Hayden CB-2005 2nd Rd

Addai RB- 2006 1st Rd* Pro Bowl

Bethea FS- 2006 6th Rd* Pro Bowl

Charlie Johnson OL- 2006 6th rd

Pollak OL- 2008 2nd RD

Garcon WR- 2008 6th rd

Powers DB- 2009 3rd rd

Collie WR- 2009 4th rd

Colts 1st Rd picks since 05

05 Marlin Jackson

06 Addai

07 Gonzo

08 None

09 Brown

10 Hughes

So, has the new NFL game passed Polian, has it been a success, or has he just had bad luck?

Now I haven't been able to narrow down all of our FA, and UDFA moves yet, so if you have any available, please share, as it will only help in our assessment of the FO.

EDIT: For reference I went thru some other elite teams and pro-bowlers drafted from 2005-2010:

New England - 6

Ravens - 3

Jets - 5

Cowboys - 5

Chargers - 4

GB - 4

Pitt - 3

ATL - 2

NYG - 3

Phi - 2

I am sorry to say yes they have failed us a little bit. I like polian and he is a winner. But the last five years really havent brought in anyone that is a superstar. Except maybe Collie if he can stay healthy. He just fits really well in this system. Beside him, no real stars. Polian just doesnt like to bring in outside talent to help the team. Spend some money on the market and help the team with proven players sometimes. Why not, right?

I am sorry to say yes they have failed us a little bit. I like polian and he is a winner. But the last five years really havent brought in anyone that is a superstar. Except maybe Collie if he can stay healthy. He just fits really well in this system. Beside him, no real stars. Polian just doesnt like to bring in outside talent to help the team. Spend some money on the market and help the team with proven players sometimes. Why not, right?

In the last 5 years the Colts have been to two SBs and won 1. That is not failing.

They do bring in proven players, every year the Colts bring in some free agents, sometimes they work out (AV, Booger until the injury) sometimes they don't (the two Olineman last year than many on the forum penciled in as starters as soon as they were signed). What the Colts don't do is, to paraphrase Irsay, spend big money on other team's problems. When was the last time a high priced, high profile free agent worked out for the new team? Brett Favre? maybe, not for the Jets. TO to the Bengals? umm no. Rarely do teams let superstars walk for any reason. Why spend big money on a player when the team that is most familiar with that player does not think they are worth it.

In the last 5 years the Colts have been to two SBs and won 1. That is not failing.

They do bring in proven players, every year the Colts bring in some free agents, sometimes they work out (AV, Booger until the injury) sometimes they don't (the two Olineman last year than many on the forum penciled in as starters as soon as they were signed). What the Colts don't do is, to paraphrase Irsay, spend big money on other team's problems. When was the last time a high priced, high profile free agent worked out for the new team? Brett Favre? maybe, not for the Jets. TO to the Bengals? umm no. Rarely do teams let superstars walk for any reason. Why spend big money on a player when the team that is most familiar with that player does not think they are worth it.

Some of the guys brought in (from wiki)

2007- * Defensive back coach Rod Perry [12], from Carolina Panthers.

* OG Rick DeMulling [13]

* P Reggie Hodges [14]

* LB Mike Labinjo [8]

* S Norman LeJeune [15]

* QB John Navarre [16]

* TE Mike Seidman [17]

* Aaron Moorehead

* Mike Seidman

* Dom Rhodes

*Hank Baskett

*Brandon Barnes

*Kyle DeVann

*Aaron Fransico

*Ed Johnson

and a bunch of other warm bodies.

* OG Rick DeMulling [13]

* P Reggie Hodges [14]

* LB Mike Labinjo [8]

* S Norman LeJeune [15]

* QB John Navarre [16]

* TE Mike Seidman [17]

* Aaron Moorehead

* Mike Seidman

* Dom Rhodes

*Hank Baskett

*Brandon Barnes

*Kyle DeVann

*Aaron Fransico

*Ed Johnson

I haven't looked it up but why did you pick only 3 years if you're asking about the last 5?

* OG Rick DeMulling [13]

* P Reggie Hodges [14]

* LB Mike Labinjo [8]

* S Norman LeJeune [15]

* QB John Navarre [16]

* TE Mike Seidman [17]

We had just won the Super Bowl, went 13-3 the next season, lost to the Chargers because we didn't have a backup pass rusher. What do we do in free agency that makes us better that year?

* Aaron Moorehead

* Mike Seidman

* Dom Rhodes

First year the offensive line was a problem, but we still won 12 games with Manning at 75% for the first half of the year (and he wins MVP anyways), and we lost to the Chargers again. Maybe a lineman to replace Jake Scott, but really, are we saying that we weren't good enough to win that year because we didn't play in free agency?

*Hank Baskett

*Brandon Barnes

*Kyle DeVann

*Aaron Fransico

*Ed Johnson

Won 14 games. Went to the Super Bowl. What's the problem? What should we have done differently in free agency?

I don't think that we should be as allergic to free agency as we are, but you're acting like the Colts suck every year. To the contrary, we're a contender every year.

We had just won the Super Bowl, went 13-3 the next season, lost to the Chargers because we didn't have a backup pass rusher. What do we do in free agency that makes us better that year?

First year the offensive line was a problem, but we still won 12 games with Manning at 75% for the first half of the year (and he wins MVP anyways), and we lost to the Chargers again. Maybe a lineman to replace Jake Scott, but really, are we saying that we weren't good enough to win that year because we didn't play in free agency?

Won 14 games. Went to the Super Bowl. What's the problem? What should we have done differently in free agency?

I don't think that we should be as allergic to free agency as we are, but you're acting like the Colts suck every year. To the contrary, we're a contender every year.

Simply listing all the Colts UDFA and FA from 05-10 (Ive posted 05,06 twice now but the site keeps going down.) Letting people make there own opinions on the Colts FO transactions. Some say we do go after FA, so I've listed those that we went after and have signed in the past 6 years. A nice easy list to click on and show everything the FO has done player personal wise. I'll reserve judgement for when I have it all laid out. But from what I've seen, 05-10 has been a complete tank job.

i don't think anyone is saying sign the newest dt free agent to a 12m x8 contract...but acting like free agency is the devil when peyton isn't getting any younger and u have whiffed on some draft picks doesn't make sense.

The Colts have been widely regarded as one of the best teams in the NFL for nearly 10 years now. While most of the love gets shared amongst Peyton and the Front Office, lets take a look at what the FO has done for us in recent years. 2005-2010

The Colts have had 52 draft picks in that span (although 2010 is still up in the air):

Pro Bowlers-

Joesph Addai- 2007

Antoine Bethea 2007, 2009

Starters:

Hayden CB-2005 2nd Rd

Addai RB- 2006 1st Rd* Pro Bowl

Bethea FS- 2006 6th Rd* Pro Bowl

Charlie Johnson OL- 2006 6th rd

Pollak OL- 2008 2nd RD

Garcon WR- 2008 6th rd

Powers DB- 2009 3rd rd

Collie WR- 2009 4th rd

Colts 1st Rd picks since 05

05 Marlin Jackson

06 Addai

07 Gonzo

08 None

09 Brown

10 Hughes

So, has the new NFL game passed Polian, has it been a success, or has he just had bad luck?

Now I haven't been able to narrow down all of our FA, and UDFA moves yet, so if you have any available, please share, as it will only help in our assessment of the FO.

EDIT: For reference I went thru some other elite teams and pro-bowlers drafted from 2005-2010:

New England - 6

Ravens - 3

Jets - 5

Cowboys - 5

Chargers - 4

GB - 4

Pitt - 3

ATL - 2

NYG - 3

Phi - 2

Of that list of teams that have put pro bowlers drafted from 05-10, only the Packers, Steelers and Giants have won a SB. All those teams have drafted higher on average than the Colts over the span of time. Plus, Austin Collie would easily have been in the mix for pro bowl. His rookie season alone was very impressive.

Hmmm so Polian has failed the team in the last 5 years? 2 SB appearances, and 1 win even with all the injuries this team has suffered lately.

Seriously....

Seriously.

Nothing more to contribute to the thread than "The Colts had 2 SB appearances"? No opinions on recent drafts? No opinion on our UDFA list? Just that a core of players from 98-04 led us to the SB.

Let me ask you another question. In 2005 would you say the core of the Colts roster was Peyton/Marv/Freeney/Edge? Now in 2011, would you say the Colts core is Manning/Wayne/Freeney?

Of that list of teams that have put pro bowlers drafted from 05-10, only the Packers, Steelers and Giants have won a SB. All those teams have drafted higher on average than the Colts over the span of time. Plus, Austin Collie would easily have been in the mix for pro bowl. His rookie season alone was very impressive.

The Pats, Steelers, Giants, Saints, GB all won the SB from 05-10. (Saints have had 4 PB)

Drafted higher? Does that matter in the 3rd round? Doubtful.

I like Collie, I do, but our 2nd best pick (Bethea 1st IMO) in 5+ years is a slot WR in the 4th round?

Marlin was good, but injury prone. You can't blame that on Polian. Same thing goes for Gonzo. Addai has been a great player for us. The jury is still out on Brown and Hughes; don't be too quick to push them aside though. Brown knows this is a make or break year for him and Hughes has some experience under his belt.

Seriously.

Nothing more to contribute to the thread than "The Colts had 2 SB appearances"? No opinions on recent drafts? No opinion on our UDFA list? Just that a core of players from 98-04 led us to the SB.

Let me ask you another question. In 2005 would you say the core of the Colts roster was Peyton/Marv/Freeney/Edge? Now in 2011, would you say the Colts core is Manning/Wayne/Freeney?

Well, what do you expect, picking at the end of the 1st round every year?

First picks since 2005:

Marlin, 29th overall

Addai, 30th overall

Gonzalez, 32nd overall

Pollack, 59th overall

Brown, 28th overall

Hughes, 31st overall

Core players you've mentioned:

Peyton, 1st overall

Edge, 4th overall

Marvin, 14th overall (not really a Polian pick, but included anyways)

Freeney, 11th overall

Wayne, 30th overall

See the difference there? It's a lot harder to hit the lottery with a player when your first pick is essentially a 2nd round pick every year. And really, from where we were picking the last few years, I'd say half of the picks (Marlin, Addai, Gonzalez) turned out quite reasonably well for being what amounts to early 2nd rounders.

Seriously.

What else do you want? You asked if the FO has failed the Colts and he stated it has not. He cited 2 SB appearances in that span w/ one SB win as evidence. Do you want to discount all of that to drafting pre-2005? Sure Polian's drafting more than likely got us the SB win in 06 from pre 05 but the problem is you set a specific timeline to base your criticism on. Did the some catastrophic even occurr in 2005 that re-vamped the entire roster? Are players from 2003, 2004, etc still on the team? Yes? Why is that? Oh the FO signed them while letting go excess baggage. The FO kept these players by not jumping into FA and spending large sums of money said free agents.

Of that "core" you listed, the only players gone are Marv (who retired after the FO asked a declining receiver to take a paycut) and Edge (who released a declining runningback who never had the same success in future endeavors). If anything, the FO saved us from extending bloated contracts to players who would not contribute their worth.

Plus, outside of that "core of players" listed (both recent and previous) you have 50 and 49 respectively other players associated w/ the team. Where did these players come from? FO? Oh, so unless you're trying to say these 3 and 4 players have won 10+ wins all these years then you have to admit that the FO has surrounded these "core" players w/ the talent necessary to win.

i don't think anyone is saying sign the newest dt free agent to a 12m x8 contract...but acting like free agency is the devil when peyton isn't getting any younger and u have whiffed on some draft picks doesn't make sense.

One, there are a lot of people saying the first. 2nd, no one, at least not me, is saying anything about free agency being the devil, Mrs Boucher :FBsmiley: but there is no reason to go crazy either and sign free agents because: a, other teams are or b, because the fans think you should.

Manning, or any player for that matter gets younger, so that is a pretty lame excuse.

There are a handful or less of free agents out there that would come and make an immediate impact for the Colts and they may or may not sign them. Signing them has nothing to do with the salary cap... the salary cap has never stopped a team from signing a player they wanted to sign. The reasons may be the player wants more money than the Colts want to spend at that spot. It may be because the player wants to go to a team where he has some connection (happens most of the time in free agency, especially for the free agents that work out long term for a team) or sometimes a player, when they have a choice, picks a team based on geographical location.

Fact is that fans operate on about 10% of the information that an organization has available and then fans get upset because the team doesn't make decisions based on that 10%.

The Pats, Steelers, Giants, Saints, GB all won the SB from 05-10. (Saints have had 4 PB)

Drafted higher? Does that matter in the 3rd round? Doubtful.

I like Collie, I do, but our 2nd best pick (Bethea 1st IMO) in 5+ years is a slot WR in the 4th round?

Pats won the '04 season, so throw that one out.

And again, the order does count. Unless you have earlier picks, the team w/ the worse record generally picks higher.

People keep saying "TWO SUPER BOWLS, " yet they don't even think about the fact that the majority of the people that got us to those Super Bowls were drafted over 5 years ago. Lets be honest, Bill has not made the greatest draft picks in the past 5 years. If you look at the players that we got in seasons before that it's ridiculous. I mean sure, we'll get a good player here and there, but not the stuff Polian is known for, and that's just being honest. I don't know if he just got lucky before, or he's lost his touch, but it's not helped the Colts any. The great players are getting old, and the young good players aren't in much supply. Lets just go ahead and face it now. When Peyton is gone, we'll be one of the 3 worst teams for a couple years. We'll get some high picks, maybe Bill will see something he likes and he'll strike gold again. The process will just start itself over again.

People keep saying "TWO SUPER BOWLS, " yet they don't even think about the fact that the majority of the people that got us to those Super Bowls were drafted over 5 years ago. Lets be honest, Bill has not made the greatest draft picks in the past 5 years. If you look at the players that we got in seasons before that it's ridiculous. I mean sure, we'll get a good player here and there, but not the stuff Polian is known for, and that's just being honest. I don't know if he just got lucky before, or he's lost his touch, but it's not helped the Colts any. The great players are getting old, and the young good players aren't in much supply. Lets just go ahead and face it now. When Peyton is gone, we'll be one of the 3 worst teams for a couple years. We'll get some high picks, maybe Bill will see something he likes and he'll strike gold again. The process will just start itself over again.

And who was responsible for keeping those players from over 5 years ago? Oh right, Polian.

5 years ago now, but Addai was instrumental in getting the Colts to both SBs and he was a rook in 06. CJ solidifying the LT spot helped the Colts get to the SB in 09 and he was a rookie in '06. Bethea in '06. In the '09 SB the Colts saw first hand what happens when one of the probowl DEs gets injured so in 2010 they draft Hughes. Collie and Garcon were both instrumental in the Colts getting to the SB and they were draft in 08 and 09. He did not get much of a chance to play because Freeney and Mathis didn't take many snaps off, but when he did come in for an injured Mathis in the second Houston game he played very well. The only two players he's really missed on is Brown(and a lot of people would debate that) and Ugoh. That's hardly losing touch. Powers, Moala, McAfee all good draft picks.

The Colts have been in the enviable position where their first round pick does not need to play right away (Hughes, Brown)

Compare what the colts do in the draft to what other teams that draft in similar spots do. Then holla at me. I'm a staunch believer in Polian and Co. No GM is perfect, but Polian has done an amazing job finding players that fit our system. Show me one GM that has a perfect track record, and I'll give you a million dollars. I just think people are expecting too much from a HUMAN BEING. I for one, forgive him for not being perfect. GO COLTS!

5 years ago now, but Addai was instrumental in getting the Colts to both SBs and he was a rook in 06. CJ solidifying the LT spot helped the Colts get to the SB in 09 and he was a rookie in '06. Bethea in '06. In the '09 SB the Colts saw first hand what happens when one of the probowl DEs gets injured so in 2010 they draft Hughes. Collie and Garcon were both instrumental in the Colts getting to the SB and they were draft in 08 and 09. He did not get much of a chance to play because Freeney and Mathis didn't take many snaps off, but when he did come in for an injured Mathis in the second Houston game he played very well. The only two players he's really missed on is Brown(and a lot of people would debate that) and Ugoh. That's hardly losing touch. Powers, Moala, McAfee all good draft picks.

The Colts have been in the enviable position where their first round pick does not need to play right away (Hughes, Brown)

Well said. Overall, Polian has done an amazing job.

I said the MAJORITY of players, not all. Yes, I watched the road to both Super Bowls. I know that some young players were instrumental, but they were in no ways the main reasons. Yeah, you seriously can't look at some of Polian's picks over 5 years ago and compare them to ones he's made in the past 5 years. To do so would be crazy. Yes, we have gotten great players in the past 5 years, but no, they have not been as good as they were before.

I said the MAJORITY of players, not all. Yes, I watched the road to both Super Bowls. I know that some young players were instrumental, but they were in no ways the main reasons. Yeah, you seriously can't look at some of Polian's picks over 5 years ago and compare them to ones he's made in the past 5 years. To do so would be crazy. Yes, we have gotten great players in the past 5 years, but no, they have not been as good as they were before.

And who was responsible for keeping those players in Indy? Oh yea Polian and the FO.

Looking at how most other franchises handle their business, I'm real happy Polian is on our side.

Right On... 15 NFL franchises have NEVER WON A SB! Indy has not missed the playoffs since .... I can't remember.

This team has had unprecedented success... (On par with Dallas, SF, NE, and Pitt) Historically the Colts are on a run that would probably rank about 5th all time. But it's "not good enough"... esp for Indianapolis. WOW.

Oh well...

• 1 month later...

This poll should've been done on a grade scale. As with many things, this issue isn't black and white. The FO has failed us in some regards, and succeeded in many others. If I were to grade them out as a whole, I would grant them an A- for the Polian era.

Solid drafting combined with an all out blind eye in respect toward FA acquisitions to shore up the gamble that is the draft. People tend to forget poor draft picks much quicker when they are distracted by shiny objects like FA veteran stars.

They have failed us this year. Its a slap in the face to put Kerry Collins out there. Its painful to watch this year. If we cant win, I would rather lose with Painter. Give him a chance and see what he can do. I live near Philly so I only get the Eagles on tv. I have hated it for the last ten years. Its not so bad this year though. Id rather not watch Collins do a poor job.

Im hoping the front office will push for Painter. He was the back up to Peyton for a reason. Get rid of Collins. Like I said before, its a slap in the face to the fans to see Collins at the helm!

They have failed us this year.

They failed us in week 1.

Its a slap in the face to put Kerry Collins out there. Its painful to watch this year. If we cant win, I would rather lose with Painter.

I call bullocks!

If Painter was in last week, he likely would have goofed to at least that extent. Afterward yourself and many others would be calling for Painter's head just the same.

He was the back up to Peyton for a reason.

You bet. Just like Sorgi before him, they are cheap and no one is trying to lure them away. For good reason I might add.

Get rid of Collins. Like I said before, its a slap in the face to the fans to see Collins at the helm!

You will change your tune when he produces at home this week. I will be here to remind all of you haters of your lack of faith and poor judgment.

They failed us in week 1.

I call bullocks!

If Painter was in last week, he likely would have goofed to at least that extent. Afterward yourself and many others would be calling for Painter's head just the same.

You bet. Just like Sorgi before him, they are cheap and no one is trying to lure them away. For good reason I might add.

You will change your tune when he produces at home this week. I will be here to remind all of you haters of your lack of faith and poor judgment.

Good post, ruksak.

We have had crazy success until this year, uh, I mean last week. This forum was begging for a vet to be brought in and they did it. We have one bad game and now there is a price on Collins' head!

This poll should've been done on a grade scale. As with many things, this issue isn't black and white. The FO has failed us in some regards, and succeeded in many others. If I were to grade them out as a whole, I would grant them an A- for the Polian era.

Solid drafting combined with an all out blind eye in respect toward FA acquisitions to shore up the gamble that is the draft. People tend to forget poor draft picks much quicker when they are distracted by shiny objects like FA veteran stars.

Don't you dare be logical about this!

YAY someone else voted for smelly poo. :D

Ok seriously though, I'm going to make what some will consider to be a blasphemous statement but I truly feel that it's true. I think we are where we are right now more because of Dungy than because of Polian. Polian simply went out and found players (on the defense primarily, this doesn't account for the OL though) that fit Dungy's scheme and philosophy.