Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mallet traded to Texans.

Dustin

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well very good is a stretch for Fitz but I believe that as long as he is consistent and not throwing picks he can lead the offense. There are plenty weapons at his disposal. I do like this move though, BOB is good with QBs and I think he can get the most out of this Mallett Project. If not....well it was just a sixth round pick.

Actually a "conditional 7th  " and not the earlier reported 6th. So good news and bad . If your a Texan fan , the good news...he cost virtually nothing as a conditional 7th is like getting a bag of popcorn. The bad news is for Pats fans.. you got groin and maybe it's bad for the Texans that the other 31 teams felt he had no value. 

Actually a "conditional 7th  " and not the earlier reported 6th. So good news and bad . If your a Texan fan , the good news...he cost virtually nothing as a conditional 7th is like getting a bag of popcorn. The bad news is for Pats fans.. you got groin and maybe it's bad for the Texans that the other 31 teams felt he had no value. 

Meh, a lot of teams think certain players have no value and those same players go on and contribute. I do like that it's high reward low risk though. A conditional seventh rounder? Even better. :)

Nope, the Pats rookie flat out out-played Mallet, there was no point in keeping him. 

Belichick knows what he's doing. He chose the rookie in the second round for a reason. He and BOB have probably been talking about this since the latter was hired.

Strange timing of the move, I mean if they were willing to let him go for a conditional 7th now I can't imagine the price could of have been that much higher earlier in preseason.

To play the Devil's Lawyer somewhat... just as a general question as a fan of a team would you be happy having a QB come in a week before the first game, for the might high price of a conditional 7th and have great faith that he's going to go on and become your franchise QB? I guess he's a better option than Fitz until they can find one? 

Who's getting cut as well, I guess Keenum is the odd man out now? Quite a fall from grace after last season, shame, I quite liked him. Well in as much as I'm allowed to like and Texans QB :P 

Strange timing of the move, I mean if they were willing to let him go for a conditional 7th now I can't imagine the price could of have been that much higher earlier in preseason.

To play the Devil's Lawyer somewhat... just as a general question as a fan of a team would you be happy having a QB come in a week before the first game, for the might high price of a conditional 7th and have great faith that he's going to go on and become your franchise QB? I guess he's a better option than Fitz until they can find one? 

Who's getting cut as well, I guess Keenum is the odd man out now? Quite a fall from grace after last season, shame, I quite liked him. Well in as much as I'm allowed to like and Texans QB :P

Who knows. I guess the HC saw something that he liked in him and that's all that matters for now. Whether or not he starts (and when) remains to be seen. Fitzpatrick has been head and shoulders over the others and yeah, unfortunately Case is the one who got let go. He was the last QB from the Kubiak regime haha

Who knows. I guess the HC saw something that he liked in him and that's all that matters for now. Whether or not he starts (and when) remains to be seen. Fitzpatrick has been head and shoulders over the others and yeah, unfortunately Case is the one who got let go. He was the last QB from the Kubiak regime haha

Strange how the wheels came off so quickly for Kubiak, I know last season was never going to go great but that bad? There were some quality players on that roster still. 

Whatever the price was,  it was higher during the pre-season.    This is the time for discount shopping.    They found Mallett in the 99-cent bin!

As for Franchise QB?     I don't think anyone thinks that....   at least not yet.    There's no reason to think that yet.   And anyone who does may be in for a rude awakening.

The kid will need some time and some reps to get up to speed.

Whatever the price was,  it was higher during the pre-season.    This is the time for discount shopping.    They found Mallett in the 99-cent bin!

As for Franchise QB?     I don't think anyone thinks that....   at least not yet.    There's no reason to think that yet.   And anyone who does may be in for a rude awakening.

The kid will need some time and some reps to get up to speed.

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest I think he will be, but many will. Like you said it was just good business at that price. 

If they found Mallet in the 99cent bin I dread to think where we found Samson... Do you guys have the Salvation Army over there? :P

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest I think he will be, but many will. Like you said it was just good business at that price. 

If they found Mallet in the 99cent bin I dread to think where we found Samson... Do you guys have the Salvation Army over there? :P

Sorry,  I'm out of my daily "likes"...   so all I can give is one of my....  :thmup:

Hope that will do?!

Strange how the wheels came off so quickly for Kubiak, I know last season was never going to go great but that bad? There were some quality players on that roster still. 

Yeah, a lot of quality players. I guess it just comes down to coaching, execution and things just getting progressively worse and worse no matter what they tried.

Meh, a lot of teams think certain players have no value and those same players go on and contribute. I do like that it's high reward low risk though. A conditional seventh rounder? Even better. :)

And a lot of players that teams get off the garbage heap are just that. The high reward part of the trade is a matter of opinion and  hard to quantify.

Yeah, a lot of quality players. I guess it just comes down to coaching, execution and things just getting progressively worse and worse no matter what they tried.

but really that comes from just an overall lack of talent, which the texans have failed to adress. the qb position being one of the weakest has been downgraded, the defense has been overrated. i dont see bill obrien as the answer. after downgrading thehe talent level in the offseason, i can only see the texans having a WORSE season this year. kubiak was just part of the problem. the texans have always lacked talent. i see the franchise hitting a new low and i cant feel bad for them. the texans will be in LA in 2 years if they keep the likes of fitzpatrick and mallet, there beat up rbs, and a wr who doesent even want to play there and overall bad team and coaching staff. i do not see this team staying in houston...

To me Mallett has Matt Cassell written all over him.  I think he's a similar talent to Cassell.

If he's better it's not by much, but what I think they have done is upgraded their #2 quarterback

position because he is a better talent than Keenum at this point and he does have enough to 

put some pressure on Fitzpatrick to stay on his A game or fear getting benched.

but really that comes from just an overall lack of talent, which the texans have failed to adress. the qb position being one of the weakest has been downgraded, the defense has been overrated. i dont see bill obrien as the answer. after downgrading thehe talent level in the offseason, i can only see the texans having a WORSE season this year. kubiak was just part of the problem. the texans have always lacked talent. i see the franchise hitting a new low and i cant feel bad for them. the texans will be in LA in 2 years if they keep the likes of fitzpatrick and mallet, there beat up rbs, and a wr who doesent even want to play there and overall bad team and coaching staff. i do not see this team staying in houston...

:funny:

And a lot of players that teams get off the garbage heap are just that. The high reward part of the trade is a matter of opinion and  hard to quantify.

Not really, no more than what "garbage" players are to quantify. I'm not saying we have the Second Coming of Tom Brady but the trade could very well benefit us very well in the long run. If not, it was for a seventh round pick. Not a bad move at all, not for either team I don't think.

Yeah...stopped reading when you said there was a lack of talent. There wasn't a lack of talent then and there is no lack of talent now. Our RBs are fine and not beat up, our QB is not worse than the one we had last year, and we have upgraded at basically every position and bolstered our roster. And this team is not leaving Houston. We've sold out every game since 2002, even in the years that we sucked, so.....

Not really, no more than what "garbage" players are to quantify. I'm not saying we have the Second Coming of Tom Brady but the trade could very well benefit us very well in the long run. If not, it was for a seventh round pick. Not a bad move at all, not for either team I don't think.

What makes him "high reward" other than he is a QB with a strong arm ? There  are guys with strong arms all over the junk heaps. My point was  that the trade was for a conditional 7th which is a hair above nothing. A 6th round pick from where Houston would be thought to be picking is actually worth something. Around 26 points by the value chart teams often go by. Where as a conditional 7th is worth from 0 to around 10 points on that same chart. Not to be a nit picker but I would say that this falls more into the "low cost" category more than it does into the" low risk - high reward " category. I really can't think of any team striking it rich with a 4th year QB that they bought for a conditional 7th round draft pick.

Anyway , I originally said was win ..win for both teams as a 6th rounder(1st reported) is something. When I saw it was a cond 7th , I said the Pats got pretty much nothing and the Texans got a player that no one else would even give a 7th for. See what I mean ? Other words for you guys to have something worth anything to speak of , the other 31 teams have to be wrong on mallet cause it looks like they offered zip , nada ... nothing. Thats why I said it being a 7th rounder is good and bad for Texans and their fans. It's a little tongue in cheek . 

Do you think we should be worried about Mallet? lol. 

No, but you should be worried about their defense and the punishment it can mete out. Mallet is just a potentially better QB than anything they have had and he is very familiar with the system and the playbook.

To me Mallett has Matt Cassell written all over him.  I think he's a similar talent to Cassell.

If he's better it's not by much, but what I think they have done is upgraded their #2 quarterback

position because he is a better talent than Keenum at this point and he does have enough to 

put some pressure on Fitzpatrick to stay on his A game or fear getting benched.

Keenum was not the #2 QB. If Mallett can be as good as Matt Cassell, then the Texans made a heck of a deal and they will be a force to reckon with in the South. I think Cassell has been pretty darn good for a long time. He is probably only a backup now but he was a starter in KC and he has played very well for the Vikings. Is he Andrew Luck? No. But, who is?

Yeah...stopped reading when you said there was a lack of talent. There wasn't a lack of talent then and there is no lack of talent now. Our RBs are fine and not beat up, our QB is not worse than the one we had last year, and we have upgraded at basically every position and bolstered our roster. And this team is not leaving Houston. We've sold out every game since 2002, even in the years that we sucked, so.....

No ... your team has some talent .. no doubt about that. Problem is 2-14 usually means you have some serious problems . The most important spot in today's NFL is Qb and they just didn't even come close to addressing it. I think it might be possible to get to around 8 wins with Fitz but IMO really tough to contend for post season with him.

However , I think they handled the draft correctly as they didn't like the guys that were rated high and squandering picks and or draft position on a QB you don't like would be a disaster. That all said , I don't like what there salary cap looks like going forward either .