Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better Colts LB: Jeff Herrod or Mike Curtis

Caleb3502

To me this is a hard choice.  Both were great players for the Colts.  It's hard for me to decide who's better.  

Jeff Herrod: All time Colts unoffical tackler with 1,400, 14.5 sacks, 5 INTS

Mike Curtis: 22 unofficial sacks, 25 INTs, (couldn't find any unoffical tackle stats), 4x Pro Bowler 

I think I would pick Curtis but it's a hard decision.

*Fun Fact about Mike Curtis: Only NFL player named to Pro Bowl at OLB and MLB 

Wow, I'm gettin pretty old and barely remember Curtis but what I do is toughness. I also remember Jeff being tough as nails as well. That game vs. the Ravens in '96 in the RCA dome where he intercepted and made a nice return springs to mind as well. Forced to choose, would have to say herrod, but just because of the number of rules that modern players are required to follow vs. the older days...

Mike Curtis was well respected in his day.

For me personally, the answer is Jeff Herrod. Had Herrod played on competitive teams in all of his years then there is no doubt he would have been a household name. 

Curtis gets the glory because he played for the Colts in the right era. Herrod gets shafted because he played for the Colts in the wrong era.

To me, Jeff Herrod was about as complete of a middle linebacker as it gets.

That is no knock on Curtis, because he was a great MLB too.

Had Herrod played for a team like the Giants back in his day then he might be considered for one of those yellow jackets they hand out to the select few. 

Herrod was a great player, and one of the best COLTS ever, but Curtis was one of the best MLB of all time and should be in the hall of fame, he played during a time when the NFL was full of great MLB, Butcus,Lanier Nitsche,Nobis,Reynolds,Hamberger,Howley,and he was as good as any of them, should be in the hall of fame.

Herrod was a great player, and one of the best COLTS ever, but Curtis was one of the best MLB of all time and should be in the hall of fame, he played during a time when the NFL was full of great MLB, Butcus,Lanier Nitsche,Nobis,Reynolds,Hamberger,Howley,and he was as good as any of them, should be in the hall of fame.

I'm old enough (64) to have seen both and not yet senile. I agree with you. If anything Curtis was under rated and was indeed as good as the guys you mention. In fact better than most of those guys. Herrod was a nice player but this isn't even close.

Mike Curtis, along with being a really smart player and productive MLB, had a very nasty reputation in an era, let's remember, that also featured Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Ben Davidson and Ray Nitchke.

I liked Jeff Herrod a lot and he was very productive and a good team leader....and we would have been even worse off without him....but Mike Curtis was just 1000% nasty with a top tier football IQ.

I agree with dw49. Mike Curtis and it's not even close. I'm 73 so I could be a little senile.Been a colt's fan since either 1956 or 1957.

I had a little rubber gorilla wearing a Curtis jersey hanging from my car mirror back then. He was a different breed.

I won't argue when people say today's players are better, but the guys from that generation were undoubtedly tougher.

To me this is a hard choice.  Both were great players for the Colts.  It's hard for me to decide who's better.  

Jeff Herrod: All time Colts unoffical tackler with 1,400, 14.5 sacks, 5 INTS

Mike Curtis: 22 unofficial sacks, 25 INTs, (couldn't find any unoffical tackle stats), 4x Pro Bowler 

I think I would pick Curtis but it's a hard decision.

*Fun Fact about Mike Curtis: Only NFL player named to Pro Bowl at OLB and MLB 

Having watched them both play quite a bit I lean towards Jeff as the 4 in front of Mike was always better than what was in front Jeff (especially at the tackles with Fred Miller and Billy Ray Smith). The overall defense of the Super Bowl 5 Champions was as good as any defense the Colts have ever fielded.