Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NYGs @ Indianapolis (8-16-14)

oldunclemark

Oh, I completely agree.  I was basing my statement that we are not super bowl contenders this year on if the super bowl was held tomorrow. Right now at this point we would not be contenders.  Who is to say what can happen 5 months from now especially with an extremely young offensive line.  Could you agree that right now as we are playing we are not a super bowl contender?

agreed..we need better O-line play...The Giants arernt great defensively...anymore

We couldn't do much against good defenses with what we showed in the first half tonight.

..and if Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware and 'Pot Roast' and those boys are ready in Denver...in 3 weeks..

....we'll need a lot more than we showed tonight

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed..we need better O-line play...The Giants arernt great defensively...anymore

We couldn't do much against good defenses with what we showed in the first half tonight.

..and if Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware and 'Pot Roast' and those boys are ready in Denver...in 3 weeks..

....we'll need a lot more than we showed tonight

I don't see the team getting that much better in 3 weeks but I hope they do.

Risers:

• Hakeem Nicks - starting to play like a top-tier WR again.
  • Da'Rick Rogers - already good on vertical routes and now a big red zone target.
  • Boom Herron - 2nd week in a row he ran with aggression.  A solid RB3.
  • Jonotthan Harrison - did a competent job filling in at Center.
  • Zach Kerr - is a keeper.  Big NT/DT who can stuff the run AND collapse the pocket.
  • Colt Anderson - played well and looked very quick on the blitz.
  • Andy Studebaker - another strong performance on top of last week.
  • Louchiez Purifoy - exciting kick returner.  CB skills need more development.

Fallers:

• Chandler Harnish - good scrambler, but often hesitated to throw on time.  Poor accuracy on deep passes.
  • Most of the Colts 3rd/4th team DBs - couldn't stop a 3rd string QB with some scrub / practice-squad WRs.

Here is what I see  Trent is gaining good yards when we run the ball out of the gun or Luck under C no fullback so the field is spread a little.

It is when Pep brings in Harvey and the tight set he goes no where. We played without 2 starting O Lineman and even with them we are not good enough to say hey we are running and then run the ball. I don't know why we would keep a FB on the roster. The offense is much better in a single back set. Trent is definitely better. 

I don't think that means we are not a Super Bowl contender. I don't see much in our way in the AFC. The D has looked really good so far. We stay healthy I think we are more than in the mix.

I like the one back sets too.  I wish I had a more complete opinion on the matter, but it's preseason.  It's just too soon to have an opinion that I can feel comfortable about.  But in general, the one back sets seem to do better in the NFL.  The HB/FB sets do okay, but require a stronger OL to be successful.  With crucial starters missing, it's hard to say  Holmes will be back and maybe Mewhort fills in for Thomas well enough for our 2 back sets to be formidable.  Right now, i'ts impossible to be sure.  I see flashes, but I desire consistency.

Risers:

• Da'Rick Rogers - already good on vertical routes and now a big red zone target.
  • Zach Kerr - is a keeper.  Big NT/DT who can stuff the run AND collapse the pocket.
1. Do we have to call him 'Boom'?

2. Jinothan harriison may not have done a competent job at center

3. Cabn we call Purifoy 'Lou'?

Fallers:

• Chandler Harnish - good scrambler, but often hesitated to throw on time.  Poor accuracy on deep passes.
  • Most of the Colts 3rd/4th team DBs - couldn't stop a 3rd string QB with some scrub / practice-squad WRs.

1. When you're 3rd string and you've been cut twice, it derosnt matre if you fall because the team must like you

2. We didnt want to mention Trent, did we? Bless your heart

All the great qbs seem to not have to move as much as Andrew. The guy is under constant pressure. And I blame Ryan Grigson

There has to be some concern....especailly in the 2 matchups with Houston.

But I think we'll get better...this gang of five hasn't played together much

Overall, the 1st and 2nd stringers played well but i'm still concerned with Trent as the starting RB. Not much improvement at all from last year, still looks like the same 2.9 YPC player with no vision that dances behind the line of scrimmage.

Luck could throw for 4,700 yards, 40 TD's 10 INT's, 67%, but without a consistent run game we won't win the superbowl. Hopefully, Bradshaw can stay healthy and Boom Herron has played well so far.

....we'll need a lot more than we showed tonightr.

Our O Line is fine you realize we played without 2 starters today right? Starting O has got points in 4/5 drives on the year.

I can't wait until the Denver game is over I am so sick of hearing about them. Last time I saw them they put up 8pts.

I like the one back sets too.  I wish I had a more complete opinion on the matter, but it's preseason.  It's just too soon to have an opinion that I can feel comfortable about.  But in general, the one back sets seem to do better in the NFL.  The HB/FB sets do okay, but require a stronger OL to be successful.  With crucial starters missing, it's hard to say  Holmes will be back and maybe Mewhort fills in for Thomas well enough for our 2 back sets to be formidable.  Right now, i'ts impossible to be sure.  I see flashes, but I desire consistency.

The thing is he always runs the ball right up the middle or tries to pull the G and go off tackle maybe in season it will set up a play action pass td. I am calling plays from my couch when he goes to that package.

We may not have a G that can pull for his "favorite run play". Mewhort struggled badly to do it vs the Jets. Does that mean we have to watch it blow up for 10 weeks? I am not a fan of Pep. I will give him a pass for last year because of injuries but he doesn't seem very adaptable not a good trait for a football coach.

Trent had 3 good runs tonight 4 he didn't stand a chance on from a schematic point. All that down 2 starters and our C playing in his 2nd game. No one notices how well he picks up free runners at Luck or the little things.

I went to the thread about the game expecting to talk about the D and how good we have looked so far. It's a debate about Donald Brown vs Trent. That is a joke.

I saw some encouraging things out of Dewey Mcdonald again in the second half.  Very solid tackler in the run game, in the right place most of the time in the passing game, and made a good assist coming off the blitz on Kerrs sack.  Zach Kerr was in on some things as mentioned before, and I thought Johnny Adams did some noticeable things in his time on the field.  Can't forget my man Andy Studebaker, I really like the dude a lot.

Qua Cox may not make the team, but I didn't think he was all that bad out there.  Yes he did get beat on the touchdown but he wasn't badly out of place or anything.  It was a play I've seen some of our starters get beat on from time to time in one on one coverage.  I saw him get flagged for a pass interference play, but again he wasn't out of place he just did to much hand play a bit too long.  That type of stuff is coachable to me.  I think he could use some time on the practice squad to me.  Not sure if it will be our practice squad though........

I've noticed trent runs better when he runs straight up the middle, he gains yards this way (which is the bruiser method).  When they do the runs on the edges he loses yards or gets back to the LOS.  I think they need to use the edge runs for speedy rbs that can get around the edge.  

I saw a couple good runs from Trich, but to be honest some of it did feel a bit like last year.  I will say there were a couple occasions where the blocking wasn't all that.   I will continue to give this more time before I get negative again.

Risers:

Fallers:

Colt is going to make cuts at S a very interesting situation, What is up with Howell?

How was it a lucky 50 yard run? Donald busted a few long runs last year and made some big plays. I don't remember hardly any good games from Trent last year. I must have missed his "lucky" runs. Lol Donald Brown averaged 5.3 yards per carry last year vs Trent's 2.9. He scored twice as many rushing touchdowns 6 vs. 3. Plus he did it with fewer carries 102 vs. 188 while running behind the same weak line.

So by no means am I a trich excuse maker as has been put out there but I would say we should see what happens if he sucks this year it gets really hard to defend that but I do find it funny that people talk about Donald brown like he was some stud. We drafted him in the first round but other than last year where was he the other four or five years he was on the roster? I recall him being discussed as a bust for several years before he exploded if ya wanna call it that last year.

Our O Line is fine you realize we played without 2 starters today right? Starting O has got points in 4/5 drives on the year.

I can't wait until the Denver game is over I am so sick of hearing about them. Last time I saw them they put up 8pts.

TDs matter..not FGs..

The two guys who are out and going to be back and all-pros in 3 weeks?

I'm more concerned with Houston, who we need to beat twice.

that defensive front is even better than Denver

Our defense did look pretty impressive they allowed manning and the first team one completion for o yards. Until the third quarter actually there was only one completion between the two QB's. A couple udfa defensive stand outs this game..Kerr, sweet Lou , McDonald, Adams had a few decent plays. No Mathis, no freeman and refs calling air blowing your jersey pretty good I would say. Take away those overdone flags we had two ff and recoveries and an int. And what was with all the unknown flags I get a penalty and no explanation as to what the infraction was?

TDs matter..not FGs..

The two guys who are out and going to be back and all-pros in 3 weeks?

I'm more concerned with Houston, who we need to beat twice.

that defensive front is even better than Denver

It is preseason we are coming along fine. The first team has had 5 drives and scored 16pts not to bad. Could it be better of course.

You know they aren't going to be all pro's in 3 weeks why even ask that? Will they make us better? Yes they will. Holmes will be a huge lift but Harrison getting reps now is helping the team.

Come on Uncle you know these are organized scrimmages. Tonight one might argue and unorganized scrimmage.

Our front 7 looks pretty good itself. I like our chances against anyone. We shut down NYJ and now NYG. Take a look at what the Jets did tonight.

We will see how good all these teams you are worried about are when things are for real.

Our O Line is fine.

Our O-line was not fine Saturday night

How so? Luck was clean all night and Trent had a handful of nice runs until Pep tried his FB tight formation crap.

We stopped us Fleener dropped a past to end a drive. Allen missed timed a ball to end another. We scored on 4/5 possessions. They took obvious turnovers away from us. We dominated when the first teams were in. They couldn't move the ball on our first team D

Yes, I am sick of hearing how good our defense is and how good Denver offense is.

3 weeks will sort that for us.

I am kind of sick of hearing about Denver period so hopefully week 1 will slow that down a little. I really didn't mind them until I joined this forum back in the day Terrell Davis lead me to back to back titles in fantasy football but man am I sick of them

You will get to see them put up a lot more than that against the Colts.

I'm hoping that when he plays a full game and gets 15-20 carries..that he will.

If Bradshaw isn't what he was...we need Trent to be better than he's been.

If TR gets 15 to 20 carries, he will gain 30 to 40 yards. That is who he is in my opinion and I do not think he will get any better.

Nicks looked great; I can't wait to see him, Reggie, and TY on the field at the same time. 

3rd string D looks awful:  confused etc.  Nassib was good at exploiting that.

Purifoy was impressive as was Herron.

I think the O-line will be better than last year.  I think Mewhort was out and of course Holmes was.  Get those two back and I think we'll see better runs from Richardson.  Third string O-line could not hold.  

It was a good game, especially if you count the first half.  Colts were, especially the D, very dominant.  Eli never got them into Colts' territory.   

So by no means am I a trich excuse maker as has been put out there but I would say we should see what happens if he sucks this year it gets really hard to defend that but I do find it funny that people talk about Donald brown like he was some stud. We drafted him in the first round but other than last year where was he the other four or five years he was on the roster? I recall him being discussed as a bust for several years before he exploded if ya wanna call it that last year.

Dammit Donald didn't get his nickname because he was good...go to bed.

No one is saying Donald Brown was a stud...just that he performed better than Trent did last year behind the same offensive line. So blaming all of Trent's woes on our offensive line is not an excuse.  Some of the problem is Trent.  Hopefully he can perform better this year. 

No one is saying Donald Brown was a stud...just that he performed better than Trent did last year behind the same offensive line. So blaming all of Trent's woes on our offensive line is not an excuse.  Some of the problem is Trent.  Hopefully he can perform better this year. 

TR makes just about any running back look like a stud.