Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LaVon Brazill suspended for 1 year.

The Fish

Except when comments express a disgust with the law or policy, then the writer is being political.  

My original comment stands...people manage to express their disgust with the illegality of pot whenever one of these threads pop up.  Like its a social travesty that guys like Brazil or Gordon get disciplined in the first place.  That was my point.

That is a very broad and probably overly inclusive view of "political." Also, the comments in this thread that are critical of the policies about marijuana are talking about NFL policies, not government law. 

I think you're combining separate issues.

Besides all that, if you really think there are posts that are in violation of board rules, just report them. You don't really need to wag a finger at everyone in the thread because you don't like the topic. 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 days and more than 300 posts later,  I'd pay good money to shut this thread down!!  

50, maybe even 75 cents!   BAM!!    There it is!

But, hey, maybe it's me....   I didn't care for the World Cup either......

Nobody cares about soccer...    hehe

It is bigger than the Olympics..     it really is world wide...

US gets bounced...  and     Baseball   (yeppie  even more boring)  ....       No NBA, and no football...    It's the only game on TV

I want to see it go up against the NFL.       then we will see where it truly stands.

I might add...     FOX or ESPN surely would not "doctor" ...  ratings numbers...      would they?   A lot is at stake... 

\

Just sayin....

Actually, much to my surprise (and a little to my disappointment) the ratings for the World Cup were very, very high! 

I knew they'd be good,  but not as high as they were.....     didn't see that coming!

Actually, much to my surprise (and a little to my disappointment) the ratings for the World Cup were very, very high! 

I knew they'd be good,  but not as high as they were.....     didn't see that coming!

I actually became a fan this year watching the World Cup

10 days and more than 300 posts later,  I'd pay good money to shut this thread down!!  

50, maybe even 75 cents!   BAM!!    There it is!

But, hey, maybe it's me....   I didn't care for the World Cup either......

I wouldn't...I am a poor boy from Indiana!  :)

His well paid legal team have nothing to do with Roger Goodell and the NFL.

And the longer this plays out legally,  the worse it looks for Irsay.

The public shaming aspect is for those who want the Colts punished by stripping the team of draft picks.    Their argument is that just fining the man and suspending him means nothing to him.    He's a billionaire.   

The public shaming comes with potentially being the owner fined the largest amount in the history of the NFL and perhaps being suspended for as long as a year.     Those are headlines that no owner wants attached to his name.

Public shaming is a perception.   I'm hoping Irsay takes it to heart.   I hope being suspended for a long time and being prevented from attending games and being inside the team's facility will eat at him,  hurt him personally.   Will serve as a motivation for the incident not to happen again.

If the league thinks the fine and the suspension aren't enough to get Irsay to change his behavior then they might consider taking draft picks away from the Colts.    That's something Irsay and the Colts and the fans don't want to happen.

His well paid legal team have nothing to do with Roger Goodell and the NFL.

:spit:   Really ? & when did I say they did ?  Public shaming :thmup: :thmup:  Whatever, I don't care what people think & I'm just a bricklayer give me a piece of what he has & I can assure you I would care even less , Maybe you might want to try breathing into a paper bag for a few minutes & relax .

And the longer this plays out legally,  the worse it looks for Irsay.

Wrong its called due process  the lawyers on both sides are negotiating a fair deal IMO .  He will at the end of the day plead guilty to something  it most likely will be a lesser charge IMO .  :td: :td:

US gets bounced...  and     Baseball   (yeppie  even more boring)  ....       No NBA, and no football...    It's the only game on TV

I want to see it go up against the NFL.       then we will see where it truly stands.

I might add...     FOX or ESPN surely would not "doctor" ...  ratings numbers...      would they?   A lot is at stake... 

\

Just sayin....

Not to say there is a conspiracy afoot but at the KC viewing parties, what I saw was several bars got together and had a big open area outside where things were blocked off and people could drink, the actual bar locations were often closed so you had to go to the "viewing area".  There were a couple of thousand people in the area but only about 50-75 were actually paying attention to the game and screaming, most people were there just drinking trying to have a conversation.

Not to say there is a conspiracy afoot but at the KC viewing parties, what I saw was several bars got together and had a big open area outside where things were blocked off and people could drink, the actual bar locations were often closed so you had to go to the "viewing area".  There were a couple of thousand people in the area but only about 50-75 were actually paying attention to the game and screaming, most people were there just drinking trying to have a conversation.

I could get really excited about the World Cup....I really could....after the paint dries :)

watching-paint-dry-5.jpg

Tom Sawyer in later years, after his friends caught on to his trick.

Any game that starts with kids where they don't keep score is not a sport.

I would have played if they had it as a sport when I was a kid.  I always wanted to play goalie...no way my big *** is running up and down that field for 100 minutes....:)

I would have played if they had it as a sport when I was a kid.  I always wanted to play goalie...no way my big *** is running up and down that field for 100 minutes.... :)

My son wanted to play when he was younger... I told him no.  When he asked why, I said it was because he was never going to play a game where they give out trophies that say "Participant"

I would have played if they had it as a sport when I was a kid.  I always wanted to play goalie...no way my big *** is running up and down that field for 100 minutes.... :)

Goalie might be tolerable but lets make it interesting ,lets allow tackles and hits ,then your a real man if you score . :spit:

My son wanted to play when he was younger... I told him no. When he asked why, I said it was because he was never going to play a game where they give out trophies that say "Participant"

That's almost every sport now a days. I coached my grandsons flag football team. We lost one game, but they got the same trophy as a team that was winless for the season.

That's almost every sport now a days. I coached my grandsons flag football team. We lost one game, but they got the same trophy as a team that was winless for the season.

That just seems wrong.  The football team my son played for had a Championship team and a 2nd place team.  I don't know how each team did their individual awards but ours we just gave them a bag with their football card, some candy and something specific based on the position they played.

Everyone gets a medal or trophies now a days..  it is truly pathetic.   All about participation...        

Indiana went to class basketball so "more kids could experience winning the state" ..     they destroyed the GREATEST tournament in the world.    

Winning the state in Indiana use to mean something ...  now..     blah...

Marion use to sell out the Bill Green AA  now they can't get 2500 in there...   it seats 7500.  

Society is so politically correct today..     Don't dare hurt a kids feelings...   What ever happened to wanting to kick the other teams butt?   Sad...   

Everyone gets a medal or trophies now a days..  it is truly pathetic.   All about participation...        

Indiana went to class basketball so "more kids could experience winning the state" ..     they destroyed the GREATEST tournament in the world.    

Marion use to sell out the Bill Green AA  now they can't get 2500 in there...   it seats 7500.  

Society is so politically correct today..     Don't dare hurt a kids feelings...   What ever happened to wanting to kick the other teams butt?   Sad...   

Agreed John its called compition and having the competitive spirit. Agreed on the state tourney as well ,they took away the David vs Goliath intrigue.

Just sayin....

Sorry I'm late responding to this.......

I don't think this is possible.    Ratings aren't tabulated by individual networks.   They're done by the A-C Neilson company.

Hency the "Neilson Ratings"....

Neilson crunches the numbers and sends them to all the networks and cable stations.

I don't think it's possible to mess with them.......

I don't think this is possible.    Ratings aren't tabulated by individual networks.   They're done by the A-C Neilson company.

Neilson crunches the numbers and sends them to all the networks and cable stations.

I'm to lazy to start "digging" but I would really be VERY interested in who actually owns the "A C Nielson Co." ..?

I would be SHOCKED if a true blue independent source had that kind of POWER over the masses.

just a quick look.... 

"Dutch publishing company VNU acquired Nielsen Media Research in 1999.[12] It later recombined the two halves of the business when it acquired AC Nielsen in 2001.
VNU combined the Nielsen properties with other research and data collection units including BASES, Claritas, HCI and Spectra. The company’s publishing arm also owned several publications including The Hollywood Reporter and Billboard magazine.
In 2006, VNU was acquired by a group of six private equity firms which included Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., Thomas H. Lee Partners L.P., Blackstone Group L.P., Carlyle Group, Hellman & Friedman LLC and AlpInvest Partners.[13] In the same year, the group hired David L. Calhoun, formerly of General Electric, as CEO.[14] He renamed VNU as The Nielsen Company in 2007.

RECOGNIZE THE CARLYLE GROUP?:"

Big money, taking care of big money...  

Not unusual.

Not an independent source by any means...  

They are very connected.

\

Just sayin....

This is weird.

I don't like soccer; I think it's an inferior sport. But there's no question about its popularity around the world. Why are you so resistant to the idea that a lot of other people like soccer, so much so that you're resorting to the idea that the networks MUST HAVE been lying about how many people watched the World Cup?

This is weird.

I don't like soccer; I think it's an inferior sport. But there's no question about its popularity around the world. Why are you so resistant to the idea that a lot of other people like soccer, so much so that you're resorting to the idea that the networks MUST HAVE been lying about how many people watched the World Cup?

American soccer fans have been wondering this sort of thing for years.  

Look I don't like baseball but I don't actively root against the sport.  However there is a large group of people who actively root against soccer. . . and the more popular soccer becomes the more vocal they become.

See with class basketball I think you are dabbling in a question of if that move was really to give out more participation trophies or a move to ensure more parity.

A fan of the New York Jets/Giants might argue that the salary cap exists in the NFL to give people participation trophies.  Because they want to be like the Yankees and simply win by outspending all of their opponents because they have the funds to do so.  While a lot of us would say that it exists to give the NFL parity so that most games are exciting and the championship is only ever won by a couple of different teams. 

Honestly I don't like participation trophies at all.  But at the same time I think any good sporting league has to have parity or else it's boring.  A few teams shouldn't be able to blow out the competition year after year.  If you have a championship of a league that is 12 teams or bigger, you should not over the course of 25 years be able to count the number of teams who have actually won that championship on one hand.  And believe it or not some leagues are like that.  

And for the record I went to a 4A school and they changed to the class system after my sophmore year

No...  I recognize soccer is "the ONLY sport around the globe"   that is indisputable..    But around the globe it is pretty much the only game in town.      And has been for decades.   

In the US I do not see it EVER evolving past NHL status.    EVER.   too many options in this country. 

And trust me on this ...  Soccer has almost NO FANTASY value...       Baseball, Basketball, and NFL have it.   and it matters.

And IMO...    it is just plain BORING...     I get off on the English announcers more than the game itself.     

JMO.......

And the conspiracy aspect of your post... 

ESPN and NOW Fox have invested VERY much in the World Cup...  they are pushing this sport hard. 

Need I say more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is weird.

No...  I recognize soccer is "the ONLY sport around the globe"   that is indisputable..    But around the globe it is pretty much the only game in town.      And has been for decades.   

In the US I do not see it EVER evolving past NHL status.    EVER.   too many options in this country. 

And trust me on this ...  Soccer has almost NO FANTASY value...       Baseball, Basketball, and NFL have it.   and it matters.

And IMO...    it is just plain BORING...     I get off on the English announcers more than the game itself.     

JMO.......

And the conspiracy aspect of your post... 

ESPN and NOW Fox have invested VERY much in the World Cup...  they are pushing this sport hard. 

Need I say more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ESPN and FOX don't publish ratings, though. We accept Neilsen ratings all the time, but now for soccer, they're somehow compromised? I don't think that's reasonable. And why would they need to be inflated, if we agree that soccer is very popular?

However, I agree with you on soccer. I think part of the reason it's so popular around the world is because it's easy and cheap to play. It's basically one step up from racing (and track and field is also dominated by poorer countries), but has a team aspect to it. You can practice for soccer with nothing but a ball; doesn't even have to be a good ball, or even a soccer ball. You can practice by yourself, you can practice with friends, whatever. In areas of the world where it's hard to play football (not enough people, no equipment), baseball (not enough people, no equipment), basketball (no equipment), rugby (not enough people, no equpment) etc., you can still play soccer. 

But when there's a choice between soccer and other sports? I think other sports win out, because they are higher quality. Using our hands is one of the things that sets us apart from animals, and soccer is one of few sports that actually penalizes you for using your hands. The field is so huge, and most of the game is played right in the middle of the field, with few real chances of scoring. It takes a ton of skill to play soccer; I can throw, jump, run catch, etc., but I don't think I could ever do well at soccer. I'm not trying to undermine the quality of athlete that plays the game. I just don't think the game is that good.

American soccer fans have been wondering this sort of thing for years.  

Look I don't like baseball but I don't actively root against the sport.  However there is a large group of people who actively root against soccer. . . and the more popular soccer becomes the more vocal they become.

Yeah, it's weird, because soccer seems to be very inclusive and welcoming. Unlike hockey, which has a bit of an attitude about it. A lot of hockey fans dislike new fans and new attention, or at least are resentful. I noticed that especially during the Stanley Cup, when a lot of LA fans got behind the Kings. The diehards had a lot of attitude, with the "why are you bandwagoners paying attention now? You're not real fans" and crap like that. It would seem that the added attention -- especially in a city like LA, where sports has to be good for people to give it attention -- would be a good thing, but a lot of new fans got snapped at.

I don't get that same vibe from soccer. Maybe because the only times it's big in the US is during the World Cup and the Olympics, when it's all about national pride. 

Who really owns "Nielson" ...  

GE is a partner, the Carlyle Group..    read up on them..      

Of course I am a famous tin foil hat sporter...    But...     just follow the money....

The money leads everywhere, though. We don't doubt the ratings for NFL games, and that money is way bigger than the World Cup, every four years. The networks make a lot more off of NFL games and the Super Bowl (which is primetime, not weekdays at 11AM, like a lot of big World Cup matches are). 

And at this point in time, Neilsen ratings aren't as important as they were a few years ago. With streaming and other methods of consuming content, Neilsen ratings aren't as inclusive. I just don't see the reasoning. If it's just a conspiracy theory, cool, have fun with that. 

The NFL sells itself... 

Soccer has to "marketed" ...   

did you watch the vid?     AH told you EXACTLY what was going to happen.     And it has.

The money leads everywhere, though. We don't doubt the ratings for NFL games, and that money is way bigger than the World Cup, every four years. The networks make a lot more off of NFL games and the Super Bowl (which is primetime, not weekdays at 11AM, like a lot of big World Cup matches are). 

And at this point in time, Neilsen ratings aren't as important as they were a few years ago. With streaming and other methods of consuming content, Neilsen ratings aren't as inclusive. I just don't see the reasoning. If it's just a conspiracy theory, cool, have fun with that. 

The NFL sells itself... 

did you watch the vid?     AH told you EXACTLY what was going to happen.     And it has.

I've been with John Dee all the way up to "The NFL sells itself".  The NFL does as much self promotion as the local news teams.  And yes, I think it's part of a conspiracy to take away something that is uniquely American (football played with a pigskin) and make us more like "the world".

Perhaps take away is not the best phrase but to minimize or even disparage football something that is uniquely American.

The NFL sells itself... 

We're waaay off topic, I just disagree. The NFL markets itself. And soccer is pushed more in the US because people have other (better, IMO) options. But every product requires self-promotion, especially when it's trying to gain or expand its footing.

Yeah, it's weird, because soccer seems to be very inclusive and welcoming. Unlike hockey, which has a bit of an attitude about it. A lot of hockey fans dislike new fans and new attention, or at least are resentful. I noticed that especially during the Stanley Cup, when a lot of LA fans got behind the Kings. The diehards had a lot of attitude, with the "why are you bandwagoners paying attention now? You're not real fans" and crap like that. It would seem that the added attention -- especially in a city like LA, where sports has to be good for people to give it attention -- would be a good thing, but a lot of new fans got snapped at.

I don't get that same vibe from soccer. Maybe because the only times it's big in the US is during the World Cup and the Olympics, when it's all about national pride. 

Part of it might be the national pride thing.  

I'll be honest I'm not really a fan of any professional side, although I used to follow the Chicago fire for a few years, I have since stopped.

But I've been watching the US team play since the late 90's and I watched the 1998 World Cup and followed every cup since then.  (Some of the times when the cup is on the other side of the world I don't really get a chance to watch the matches because they are on at like 2 in the morning but I always followed the scores etc.)  I also follow them during the Gold Cup and Confederations cup if they make it.  

Interestingly enough I follow them the least during the Olympics because the Olympics is a U23 team.  

Also I think the relative simplicity of soccer's rules helps.  Pretty much once a person understands the offside rule in soccer they have for the most part mastered the rules and so it's hard to pick out the newbies from people who have been watching for years. 

For some reason or another though the anti-soccer people are very vocal.  I get the feeling that alot of them see soccer as some sort of anti-American sport or something and wonder why we even play.  

It honestly almost feels like they think we should only play sports that we invented and ignore every other sport.