Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck at FIFA World Cup

TnColt8

I know Andrew is a huge soccer fan, and this may have already been posted. But, did anyone else see Andrew Luck in the stands on ESPN about 8 minutes prior to the start of the game? The announcers had no idea and neither did the camera man, considering he was on the bottom right hand corner. I paused and looked, definitely him. In a Dempsey shirt.

There was a story out a few days ago.....

Luck has been in Brazil for a while.    Interesting, he had been asked about going by ESPN's Mike Wells, and he pretended he didn't know if he was going but that it was likely that he wasn't.

That's how much he guards his privacy.

The story went on that he's been spotted by American tourists in Brazil,  some who approach and say "You look a lot like Andrew Luck"....   and his response is often....

"That guy?    Oh, he's a "!"

Then,  after everyone laughs,  he cops to it, and signs autographs and takes pictures, but then bolts.....

That's what I heard a few days ago....       Glad he could be there since this stuff is important to him......

Over 250,000 evictions in Brazil over that stupid World Cup.

Enjoy your entertainment and sports. I hope everyone does.

I see more stuff about these stupid games than I see anything going on in Mexico or anywhere else in the world where there is real problems.

brazil-world-cup-protests-fifa-evictions

I see more stuff about these stupid games than I see anything going on in Mexico or anywhere else in the world where there is real problems.

I get it, conditions are horrible, people getting evicted, death despair and all of human drudgery.  Why you feel the need to try and hijack the thread is just pointless.  If you want to vent, go to the world cup thread.  This was a thread about our QB, yes the Colts QB spotted in Brazil because he's a HUGE soccer fan.  Generally man, I get you, your grounded and intelligent but this is just trollish.  Your better than that Bogie! :thmup:

Thread back on topic, is it me or does that AFC hat he's sporting just about as corny as ever.  I remember him seeing him at the prowbowl and it made his ears look worse.

It was cool to see Luck at the World Cup. I saw that he was very good about taking photos with other fans that are there, class act.

That being said Bogie is right, FIFA is a corrupt organization. I do not know why any country would enter into an agreement with them.

And that's why were on a football forum not a soccer forum lol

lol good point. But, in soccer....the few times I have seen it. I feel like a fish out of water since nothing seems to happen but everyone there is screaming and going nuts in the crowd.

And not long ago some guy tried to explain to me in person how the USA advanced even though they lost and I am like what? And he kept going through it but it just baffles me how you can lose but still move on?

I don't know. But, if anyone here is a die hard soccer fan don't let me bother you lol.

lol good point. But, in soccer....the few times I have seen it. I feel like a fish out of water since nothing seems to happen but everyone there is screaming and going nuts in the crowd.

And not long ago some guy tried to explain to me in person how the USA advanced even though they lost and I am like what? And he kept going through it but it just baffles me how you can lose but still move on?

I don't know. But, if anyone here is a die hard soccer fan don't let me bother you lol.

This is exactly how I felt when first watching NFL :) I'd struggle to even follow where the ball was half the time, especially on P/A. 

Cool that he went. However I never have watched a minute of the World Cup really!! Soccer isn't my thing.

This is exactly how I felt when first watching NFL :) I'd struggle to even follow where the ball was half the time, especially on P/A. 

Both Jules & SCC make great points. Soccer isn't really my forte either, but that's a problem because I don't really know what I'm watching or rather I don't have a firm grasp on the nuances of futbol itself. I guess what I'm saying is this: If my friends here on the forum have taken the time to learn American football, I owe it to my european amigos to hunker down & learn the game of soccer. That process of learning a different game outside of North America shows my friends from foreign countries that I respect them by taking the time to learn something unfamiliar to me & it demonstrates that my world view is bigger than just the United States alone. 

I cannot promise any grand mastery of soccer my friends, but I will keep trying to improve my futbol comprehension slowly but surely as long as it takes. Thank you for your patience everyone. 

There was a story out a few days ago.....

Luck has been in Brazil for a while.    Interesting, he had been asked about going by ESPN's Mike Wells, and he pretended he didn't know if he was going but that it was likely that he wasn't.

That's how much he guards his privacy.

The story went on that he's been spotted by American tourists in Brazil,  some who approach and say "You look a lot like Andrew Luck"....   and his response is often....

"That guy?    Oh, he's a "!"

Then,  after everyone laughs,  he cops to it, and signs autographs and takes pictures, but then bolts.....

That's what I heard a few days ago....       Glad he could be there since this stuff is important to him......

That's what I admire most about Andrew. Even when he jokingly tries to act unpleasant to fans on rare occasions, he just can't bring himself to be unfriendly in the end. Luck is just a darn nice guy to his core.  :thmup:

P.S. I doubt if Andrew reads any of my musings online, but just in case he does, I affectionately refer to you as Chewbacca because of A) your neck beard & B) Star Wars was a huge influence on my life & yes still is & by calling you Chewbacca as a joke SW1 is essentially saying that I hold Luck in the highest regard as a person & a QB & that I want nothing but good things to come your way because you work your tail off & I root for humble gym rats to flourish. You rock man!  :hat:

Both Jules & SCC make great points. Soccer isn't really my forte either, but that's a problem because I don't really know what I'm watching or rather I don't have a firm grasp on the nuances of futbol itself. I guess what I'm saying is this: If my friends here on the forum have taken the time to learn American football, I owe it to my european amigos to hunker down & learn the game of soccer. That process of learning a different game outside of North America shows my friends from foreign countries that I respect them by taking the time to learn something unfamiliar to me & it demonstrates that my world view is bigger than just the United States alone. 

I cannot promise any grand mastery of soccer my friends, but I will keep trying to improve my futbol comprehension slowly but surely as long as it takes. Thank you for your patience everyone. 

Ha Ha SW, as usual your musings brought a smile to my face. 

If I'm honest I've grown out of watching "soccer", I probably watched more live NFL on TV than soccer and I certainly went to more NFL games than football games live. Soccer has become quite annoying to watch, players diving (flopping) left right and centre, poor refereeing, the massive cost increase to follow/support a team, it begins to grate. The final straw is watching the attitudes and behaviour of the players, they're spoilt children. Converse to the NFL the power in football goes Players (or their Agents)> Clubs> The League. 

I've always said there is much to admire about the way American sports are organised (Salary Cap, Collegiate Set up), but unfortunately  I can't see these things ever being introduced into Soccer. 

not sure if joking, but i feel the urge to explain it to you, since it really isn't complicated..

seems to me like you are not familiar with the structure of world cup.. the first stage of competition is in groups of 4 teams, and it's something like nfl regular season - after everyone in the group plays against each team, the 2 teams with best results advance to the elimination stage, like the nfl playoffs..

so even though usa lost their "last regular season game" they had the tie-breakers over other two teams and advanced to the "playoffs"..

hmm, i had that looking better in my mind :)

I understand it to a good degree, but still don't watch it until every 4 years.  I've seen all my friends kids grow up playing and even getting college scholarships because of soccer (futbol).  But World Cup is like Olympics to me.  Countries cheat (China with underaged female gymnasts, etc...) but it is still a world event.  So I support my USA team.

To relate it to our football (US style) brothers and sisters, think of the first round games in World Cup as the 'regular season'.  You play what opponents you drew. you get 3 points for win and a point for tie, nothing for a loss.  when all teams accumulated points from their games in your group are tallied (like division record in football), the top two move on to the knockout round of 16 (like round 1 playoffs). Like US football, there are tiebreakers too (average margin over opponents etc...) For all of those teams that do advance, from here out it is win or go home just like the playoffs in football.  Yes, being able to lose a game and still move on seems screwy, but it must be just as confusing for a soccer fan to see the 2008 Patriots win 11 games, and still an 8 -8 Charger's team moves on to the playoffs instead of them.  Because of knowledge of the rules, I see how both happen, but the Patriots one is still a harder pill to swallow.  Well, maybe not for me, I'm a Colt fan.  But would be if I was a NE Pats fan.  ;)

Now that we (USA) suffered a gut wrenching loss and are eliminated, I'm out until 4 years from now.  On with 'real' football!  LOL  :td:  :blueshoe:

not sure if joking, but i feel the urge to explain it to you, since it really isn't complicated..

seems to me like you are not familiar with the structure of world cup.. the first stage of competition is in groups of 4 teams, and it's something like nfl regular season - after everyone in the group plays against each team, the 2 teams with best results advance to the elimination stage, like the nfl playoffs..

so even though usa lost their "last regular season game" they had the tie-breakers over other two teams and advanced to the "playoffs"..

hmm, i had that looking better in my mind :)

You and I had same idea.  Took me longer to think out and type mine, yet I'm not sure it is any better!  LOL  Oh well. 

You mean to tell me you are spending time posting on a NFL message board when there are so homeless people wandering around Indianapolis with no hope and who could use a hand?  Shame on you.  

It's not rocket science.  It's a called a round robin tournament, hardly a "soccer thing"