Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

June 1st Cuts begin on Sunday

loudnproudcolt

I have no idea if we will possibly look for some depth at the safety, CB, or even OL depending on who the cuts are going to be, but as the headline says, June 1st cuts will happen beginning on Sunday. I don't know how long you can cut some one and designate them a June 1st cut. If anyone knows, I would love to know if there is a cutoff date. I would think most teams know if they are going to designate players. Certain teams are so up against the cap they will have to. Just thought I would point out the date, and if anyone has thoughts on players who may be cut.

It is like the second round of FA, but the players are usually older with a few miles on the odometer. Still at a veteran's minimum, some safety depth would not hurt!

I have no idea if we will possibly look for some depth at the safety, CB, or even OL depending on who the cuts are going to be, but as the headline says, June 1st cuts will happen beginning on Sunday. I don't know how long you can cut some one and designate them a June 1st cut. If anyone knows, I would love to know if there is a cutoff date. I would think most teams know if they are going to designate players.

Well, "designating for a June 1" cut is a special type of releasing the player before 1st of June. Teams can release a player in let's say march - so the players guarantees and roster bonuses won't kick in on april, etc. - but designate the cut for 1st of June, so dead cap will split multiple years. After the 1st of June there is no need to designate the cut, since the date if over, so teams can just cut their players immediatelly.

Regarding who I would like to see in Indy, my favourite is probably Brandon Flowers. He's only 27, and a very talented CB, even if he did have a quite mediocre year in 2013 in his standards. But he would still be a major upgrade for us.

Regarding who I would like to see in Indy, my favourite is probably Brandon Flowers. He's only 27, and a very talented CB, even if he did have a quite mediocre year in 2013 in his standards. But he would still be a major upgrade for us.

Here is my question - because I honestly do not know - did he fall off last year because he transitioned to a different defensive system? If so, what defensive system did he thrive in and which one provoked the downturn?

Is his skill-set for zone corner or is he a man corner?

I'm more curious as to who we cut and keep

June 1 means you can pick up a guy without that move counting against you in the draft, right?

So you're right, we'll find out which guys were placeholders until we could get guys we really wanted.

I'm expecting a veteran Center and S. Not starters, but for backup.

I think we'll cut Sheppard for sure. His cap hit is around 1 million or more, and we have two backups in McNary and A.J who IMO will be better.

There is no "will be" better when McNary is the topic. Few snaps but outshined Sheppard last season with the limited action

To this day I believe that was a foolish trade by Mr. Grigson. Jerry Hughes did more for us than Sheppard has done since being here

They may be cut but there is no benefit to the Colts to wait until after June 1st, neither of their salaries are high enough to want to split the cap hit between this season and next.

For whatever it's worth, I've already seen Sheppard's name linked as a possible trade target for teams like Dallas and Arizona, both of whom lost their middle/inside linebacker already.....

So, my guess is they'll both be on the team until roster cuts in August.....

June 1 means you can pick up a guy without that move counting against you in the draft, right?

So you're right, we'll find out which guys were placeholders until we could get guys we really wanted.

I'm expecting a veteran Center and S. Not starters, but for backup.

Can I get that translated into simple english please?!?     How does any move like that -- no matter when its come -- count against you in the draft?!?

I confess you've stumped me on this one!   (I know, I know....  a low bar to clear!)        :thmup:

Well, "designating for a June 1" cut is a special type of releasing the player before 1st of June. Teams can release a player in let's say march - so the players guarantees and roster bonuses won't kick in on april, etc. - but designate the cut for 1st of June, so dead cap will split multiple years. After the 1st of June there is no need to designate the cut, since the date if over, so teams can just cut their players immediatelly.

could not agree more. if the chiefs cut him i would love for us to jump on him quick. but i have a feeling Denver, Seattle, New England or San fran grab him. 

Can I get that translated into simple english please?!?     How does any move like that -- no matter when its come -- count against you in the draft?!?

I confess you've stumped me on this one!   (I know, I know....  a low bar to clear!)        :thmup:

like baseball lol. sign a player (restricted FA of course) and you lose a first round pick lol. im glad this isn't like baseball though lol.

The Colts shouldn't reach for someone just because they need a sfaety for example

I am not as sure the Colts feel like they need a S as much as this board does. Flowers will get more $$ than he deserves I think

could not agree more. if the chiefs cut him i would love for us to jump on him quick. but i have a feeling Denver, Seattle, New England or San fran grab him. 

I think San Fran might have to cut a player or two we could have interest in don't see them spending

Lol! My bad, I know I wasn't clear. I think it was rushing to do something else at the time.

Okay, in simple English what I meant was that moves made after June 1 don't count in the compensatory draft calculation. So if you wait until 6/1 to pick up a FA it wouldn't reduce any potential compensatory draft pick you'd receive if you lost FAs prior to 6/1.

Capisce?

Lol! My bad, I know I wasn't clear. I think it was rushing to do something else at the time.

Okay, in simple English what I meant was that moves made after June 1 don't count in the compensatory draft calculation. So if you wait until 6/1 to pick up a FA it wouldn't reduce any potential compensatory draft pick you'd receive if you lost FAs prior to 6/1.

Capisce?

Since you're one of the most consistently sharp posters here, I knew something had to be lost in the translation...   And I didn't even rule out that what you were saying was completely logical and it was my brain that had somehow tangled things up....

Either way,  thanks for straightening all that out!           :thmup:

I'm more curious as to who we cut and keep

June 1 cuts are usually for teams that are up against the cap. Sometimes they'll have to designate March cuts as post-June 1 cuts in order to get under the cap before the league year begins. (For example, Dallas releasing Miles Austin.) Those players are free to sign as soon as they're released. The teams that wait until June 1 to make those cuts are teams that aren't in cap trouble, but are tight against the cap, and they hold on to players until after the draft, so that they can try to work out a trade after teams have a better idea of what their roster is going to look like. (For example, Kansas City holding on to Brandon Flowers.)

So the Colts probably won't be making any notable post-June 1 cuts. We're not up against the cap, and we haven't been holding on to anyone we might want to cut, IMO. Any cuts we make would likely be just to make room for a player we want to add, and the released player would likely be a low level guy who won't have a big cap penalty.

They may be cut but there is no benefit to the Colts to wait until after June 1st, neither of their salaries are high enough to want to split the cap hit between this season and next.

There's no prorated charge on Sheppard, since we traded for him and didn't pay him a signing bonus. Harvey doesn't have a signing bonus either, so no prorated charge, and no benefit to a post-June 1 release.

Capisce?

Correct. Players who are released aren't considered when compensatory draft picks are determined. So anyone we might pick up after a post-June 1 release won't count against our compensatory pick standing in 2015.

The Lions could release CB Chris Houston and save $3.5m against the 2014. If they had released him prior to June 1, it would have cost them $400k. He didn't have a good year in 2013, and the Lions are only $900k under the cap right now. They could also save $800k by releasing DE Jason Jones, who missed most of last year with a knee injury.

The Redskins are about $1.8m under the cap. They could save $800k by releasing G Chris Chester. There are other Redskins players who are probably in trouble, but none that I think we'd be remotely interested in.

The Chiefs could save $7.5m by cutting CB Brandon Flowers. 

The Cowboys could save $3m by cutting CB Orlando Scandrick. They'd save $1.5m by releasing S Barry Church. This is an interesting team to look at, because I believe you only get two post-June 1 designations prior to June 1. So cutting Demarcus Ware and Miles Austin used all of the Cowboys designations. They may very well have been waiting for June 1 to make the rest of their cuts. 

The Dolphins are also interesting, because they apparently want to move Dion Jordan. They have $16m in cap space, but if they trade him prior to June 1, they take a $10m penalty in 2014, which eats up a lot of their cap space. If they trade him after June 1, they take a $3.34m penalty in 2014, and a $6.68m penalty in 2015. So if they really do want to move him, it would make sense for them to wait.

Anyways, I think there will be some movement in the next few days. And whenever there's player movement, Ryan Grigson's ears perk up.

The Lions could release CB Chris Houston and save $3.5m against the 2014. If they had released him prior to June 1, it would have cost them $400k. He didn't have a good year in 2013, and the Lions are only $900k under the cap right now. They could also save $800k by releasing DE Jason Jones, who missed most of last year with a knee injury.

The Redskins are about $1.8m under the cap. They could save $800k by releasing G Chris Chester. There are other Redskins players who are probably in trouble, but none that I think we'd be remotely interested in.

The Chiefs could save $7.5m by cutting CB Brandon Flowers. 

The Cowboys could save $3m by cutting CB Orlando Scandrick. They'd save $1.5m by releasing S Barry Church. This is an interesting team to look at, because I believe you only get two post-June 1 designations prior to June 1. So cutting Demarcus Ware and Miles Austin used all of the Cowboys designations. They may very well have been waiting for June 1 to make the rest of their cuts. 

The Dolphins are also interesting, because they apparently want to move Dion Jordan. They have $16m in cap space, but if they trade him prior to June 1, they take a $10m penalty in 2014, which eats up a lot of their cap space. If they trade him after June 1, they take a $3.34m penalty in 2014, and a $6.68m penalty in 2015. So if they really do want to move him, it would make sense for them to wait.

Anyways, I think there will be some movement in the next few days. And whenever there's player movement, Ryan Grigson's ears perk up.

Grigson will be looking for game day roster talent for the secondary.

And waiting for injuries to see where else he needs to go.

Walden is not very good really so if a Vet OLB/Pass Rusher comes available...

Most of those teams wouldn't look at him. Denver has Aqib and a 1st round pick in Roby. New England just got Browner and Revis. San Fran probably doesn't have the money. Seattle maybe.