Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay charged with 2 misdemeanor counts of DWI

HtownColt

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No felony counts? Must nice to be wealthier than all get out. On a positive (if we can call it that) those obnoxious types who though for some reason that Irsay deserved Donald Sterling treatment, won't get their way. I have a feeling that that was all closer to being a possibility than not.

No felony counts? Must nice to be wealthier than all get out. On a positive (if we can call it that) those obnoxious types who though for some reason that Irsay deserved Donald Sterling treatment, won't get their way. I have a feeling that that was all closer to being a possibility than not.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with being wealthy. Charges are often reduced or dismissed entirely in situations like this, even for us regular people.

I do not think this even qualifies for a suspension does it?  

Yes.    It absolutely does.

The only question is........       for how long?

This is very important on a lot of different levels.     There's just no way there can't be a suspension.

Personally, I don't like this hanging over the franchise.    So, the sooner this can reach a conclusion and Goodell drops the hammer and Irsay can serve his suspension,  the better for all involved.

I do not think this even qualifies for a suspension does it?  

It absolutely does. I disagree with a lot of the nonsense coming from players and media and whatnot about this situation, but Eric Winston said yesterday that he believes owners should be held to a higher standard. That echoes something an NFL representative said a few weeks ago, and I agree with it. Maybe a player wouldn't be suspended for something like this, on a first offense, but Irsay, as one of the stewards of the league, has greater responsibility and should be held to a higher standard than a 22 year old player. I fully expect a suspension and a fine from the league, and I think it will be the right thing to do.

This is very important on a lot of different levels.     There's just no way there can't be a suspension.

Personally, I don't like this hanging over the franchise.    So, the sooner this can reach a conclusion and Goodell drops the hammer and Irsay can serve his suspension,  the better for all involved.

I agree with both of you.  I thought I saw somewhere last year Marshawn Lynch had some charges worse that he did not get a suspension for.  I might have been dreaming though.

I am personally shocked that with all of the prescription (his or not?) should have bee the breaker toward a felony.  I am glad it is just misdemeanors.  :thmup:

I'm glad the league can now resolve this situation, however it chooses to do so. I feel like they have to do something that includes a fine and suspension because of all the player comments and media about owners and players being punished equally. That said, what's the precedence for suspending an owner, and what does/would that really accomplish? If the league really wanted to make a statement that would impact Irsay's bottom line, they should do something about revenue for a period of games. Will be interesting to see how this is handled. 

I'm glad the league can now resolve this situation, however it chooses to do so. I feel like they have to do something that includes a fine and suspension because of all the player comments and media about owners and players being punished equally. That said, what's the precedence for suspending an owner, and what does/would that really accomplish? If the league really wanted to make a statement that would impact Irsay's bottom line, they should do something about revenue for a period of games. Will be interesting to see how this is handled. 

Why would the league be interested in impacting Irsay's bottom line?

I agree with both of you.  I thought I saw somewhere last year Marshawn Lynch had some charges worse that he did not get a suspension for.  I might have been dreaming though.

I am personally shocked that with all of the prescription (his or not?) should have bee the breaker toward a felony.  I am glad it is just misdemeanors.  :thmup:

In all honesty Brother if it was You or I it would be a felony ,just proves the justice system is not just for all.Im all behind Jim but facts are facts.

In all honesty Brother if it was You or I it would be a felony ,just proves the justice system is not just for all.Im all behind Jim but facts are facts.

I would be in a padded cell with a straight jacket on....not to be seen again....maybe even on my way to Guantanamo Bay...police love me so much :)

How long is Ray Rice suspension?

Or Aldon Smith's? Or Greg Hardy's?

It's pretty insane to me that people are so shortsighted about stuff like this. The people making the decisions are right to take their time, consider all the relevant information, and come to a conclusion based on the facts, not soundbites and sanctimony. 

I don't really see why a suspension makes sense. Once convicted he will be in prison for 2 months anyways, he is not going to be able to act as owner during that time anyways. Plus the Month and a half he was in rehab where he also relinquished control of the franchise.

I don't really see why a suspension makes sense. Once convicted he will be in prison for 2 months anyways, he is not going to be able to act as owner during that time anyways. Plus the Month and a half he was in rehab where he also relinquished control of the franchise.

It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll do time. I'd bet that he doesn't, as a matter of fact. As far as I know, this is a first time offense for him, and first time DWI offenders get away with no time quite often. 

The suspension is a matter of principle. I don't think it's meant to be punitive, just to make it clear that the won't ignore things like this. 

Yea that Broncos executive Matt Russell just got 7 months after pleading guilty to a DUI

Based on what?

Look, I know you want to make a bunch of retorts, and some of them are legit, but let's not pretend that "normal people" or you and I get pulled over with 29K in the car, drunk with a bunch of pills that don't have "Superman" or "The Fish" on the label and not get a felony charge. Yes the sentence might get reduced (as is par for the course anymore), but to not even get charged with a felony when the crime committed is by definition a felony? And then he thanks the Prosecutors? If you don't see the "what?" here, I'll leave it to the much larger haters of Irsay in the internet world to clarify. 

Look, I know you want to make a bunch of retorts, and some of them are legit, but let's not pretend that "normal people" or you and I get pulled over with 29K in the car, drunk with a bunch of pills that don't have "Superman" or "The Fish" on the label and not get a felony charge. Yes the sentence might get reduced (as is par for the course anymore), but to not even get charged with a felony when the crime committed is by definition a felony? And then he thanks the Prosecutors? If you don't see the "what?" here, I'll leave it to the much larger haters of Irsay in the internet world to clarify. 

So all you have is supposition...

The fact that the crime committed is by definition a felony doesn't mean that he has to be charged with a felony. And in fact, charges are reduced for regular people all the time, especially first time offenders.

The cash isn't necessarily related to the drugs, unless someone can prove a connection (evidently, the prosecutors couldn't). And there's nothing illegal about having a lot of cash on you.

I know that sometimes the people with the money get to play by a different set of rules, but I personally know of many people, several of them broke as a joke, who have had serious charges like this reduced or even dismissed. It's not exclusive to Irsay or people with money.

My buddy got pulled over with five unprescribed vicodin in his car. He had to spend the night in jail and was charged with a felony.....first offense. I'm sure that some people are able to get their charges lowered, but I would imagine they are few and far between. 

I think the chances of Irsay doing time are somewhere right around zero.    I'll allow for the 1-percent "didn't see that coming" decision.

But, while he has a previous history of drugs, I don't believe he has a history of committing felonies or misdemeanors so I think he'll be viewed as a first time offender in the system.    Combine that with the fact that he didn't hurt anyone,   that he's suffered enormous personal embarrassment,   it's impacted his professional business,  and he willingly went to rehab for what looks like 45 days,  I just don't see the upside for putting the man behind bars.

Put another way,  lots of other people have done far worse, and served far less time in prison for their crimes.

Irsay will get probation -- maybe 5 years (more?) -- a big fine (I don't know how big, but big)  and he'll have to do a lot of community service as well.    Prison would seem to be a huge over-reach.  

Irsay is a pillar of the Indianapolis community.    That counts for something as well.

I'd just like to see this done and behind us......

My buddy got pulled over with five unprescribed vicodin in his car. He had to spend the night in jail and was charged with a felony.....first offense. I'm sure that some people are able to get their charges lowered, but I would imagine they are few and far between. 

Unprescribed.

After two months, it could be that the investigation showed that the pills were prescribed to Irsay. Don't know. But I don't think it's all that rare.

Yea that Broncos executive Matt Russell just got 7 months after pleading guilty to a DUI

But he got into 2 separate wrecks that included ramming into a police officer. Jim just got pulled over for driving slow.

Though Jim was in possession of a more severe substance, law-wise. 

But he got into 2 separate wrecks that included ramming into a police officer. Jim just got pulled over for driving slow.

Though Jim was in possession of a more severe substance, law-wise. 

He also had an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. 

I'm not sure it has anything to do with being wealthy. Charges are often reduced or dismissed entirely in situations like this, even for us regular people.

Very true. I cant think of anyone who got time or suspended for a first time misdemeanors. We also must keep in mind the judicial system is run on a money system. If you can afford the best lawyer then the system knows it's been paid well. For those who can't afford lawyers the system makes money by putting you in jail and collects from the tax payers. As long as the lawyers get paid ( judges are ex lawyers) the system keeps rolling.

So you have a personal line to Goodell? Goodell was hired by Irsay and the other owners. I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything. So Irsay shouldn't be treated like any other person? First time offenders very rarely get anymore than a fine and some probation. You make it sound like Irsay was a lifetime criminal or something. Personally I think Irsay is the one who don't like this hanging over the franchise. He owns it. Sometimes you talk as if you owned the Colts and you will not tolerate nothing. Well life don't work as you see fit.

Very true. I cant think of anyone who got time or suspended for a first time misdemeanors. We also must keep in mind the judicial system is run on a money system. If you can afford the best lawyer then the system knows it's been paid well. For those who can't afford lawyers the system makes money by putting you in jail and collects from the tax payers. As long as the lawyers get paid ( judges are ex lawyers) the system keeps rolling.

The bolded is the key. If you're a run of the mill guy who tries to represent himself in the legal system, you might not fare so well. Rich people can afford lawyers.

Either way, first time offenders usually don't do time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10975471/indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-charged-two-misdemeanors-march-arrest

Each charge carries a maximum sentence of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. Legal experts tell the Indianapolis Star that jail time is unlikely for a first-time offender such as Irsay.

So you have a personal line to Goodell? Goodell was hired by Irsay and the other owners. I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything. So Irsay shouldn't be treated like any other person? First time offenders very rarely get anymore than a fine and some probation. You make it sound like Irsay was a lifetime criminal or something. Personally I think Irsay is the one who don't like this hanging over the franchise. He owns it. Sometimes you talk as if you owned the Colts and you will not tolerate nothing. Well life don't work as you see fit.

What Goodell decides is completely separate from what happens with the legal system.

Why would the league be interested in impacting Irsay's bottom line?

Because if they really want to punish him, I'm not sure a suspension does anything real except for save appearances. I mean, it would be just like it was when he was in rehab. Taking some profit would be closer to what happens to players. Not saying they should do this, just asking how valid of a punishment a suspension really is?

I appreciate that you love taking shots at me....

But if you'd bother to read more of my posts, you might find that we don't disagree as much as you might think.

I just made a post in the last few hours explaining why Irsay is not going to jail as another poster thought he would.   And that I really, really like Irsay.   And that I'm glad he's the owner of my favorite pro sports franchise.    I even wrote that I don't see this as that big a deal.    But it is important.

But Irsay will be suspended -- and should be suspended -- for a number of obvious reasons.

1.   He got busted for driving under the influence.

2.   Players who've been busted for similar offenses have been suspended.

3.   High ranking NFL execs just a year ago where suspended for DUI.

4.   Irsay is owner.    Goodell constantly talks about the higher you are in the NFL system the more accountable you are.   There's simply no way Goodell can not suspend Irsay.    His credibility would be shot with the players, with the media and the fans.   I suspect he'd take a hit with the owners as well.   

5.   This isn't a hard decision.    It's an obvious decision.   If you stopped putting your dislike for me ahead of logic and common sense you'd know it too.    I'm not saying anything here that hasn't been said by dozens of other posters.   But you don't dislike them so you don't take shots at them.

6.   I covered stories like this for 30 years.   I've got a pretty good understanding of all this.   And I'm not saying anything that doesn't boil down to logic and common sense.    I'm not the smartest guy here.   But I rarely post as a Colts fan.   I post as someone who knows and understands sports, but who also happens to be a Colts fan.    I try to see things dispassionately.   It makes coming to the right conclusion much easier.

I try not to process information while angry or annoyed.   Sometimes I fail, but I do try.    You might want to try it too.   If you can separate your dislike of me from understanding the truth of any given story or issue,  it will help you greatly.....

It's strictly up to you........

I appreciate that you love taking shots at me....

But if you'd bother to read more of my posts, you might find that we don't disagree as much as you might think.

I just made a post in the last few hours explaining why Irsay is not going to jail as another poster thought he would.   And that I really, really like Irsay.   And that I'm glad he's the owner of my favorite pro sports franchise.    I even wrote that I don't see this as that big a deal.    But it is important.

But Irsay will be suspended -- and should be suspended -- for a number of obvious reasons.

1.   He got busted for driving under the influence.

2.   Players who've been busted for similar offenses have been suspended.

3.   High ranking NFL execs just a year ago where suspended for DUI.

4.   Irsay is owner.    Goodell constantly talks about the higher you are in the NFL system the more accountable you are.   There's simply no way Goodell can not suspend Irsay.    His credibility would be shot with the players, with the media and the fans.   I suspect he'd take a hit with the owners as well.   

5.   This isn't a hard decision.    It's an obvious decision.   If you stopped putting your dislike for me ahead of logic and common sense you'd know it too.    I'm not saying anything here that hasn't been said by dozens of other posters.   But you don't dislike them so you don't take shots at them.

6.   I covered stories like this for 30 years.   I've got a pretty good understanding of all this.   And I'm not saying anything that doesn't boil down to logic and common sense.    I'm not the smartest guy here.   But I rarely post as a Colts fan.   I post as someone who knows and understands sports, but who also happens to be a Colts fan.    I try to see things dispassionately.   It makes coming to the right conclusion much easier.

I try not to process information while angry or annoyed.   Sometimes I fail, but I do try.    You might want to try it too.   If you can separate your dislike of me from understanding the truth of any given story or issue,  it will help you greatly.....

It's strictly up to you........

I have no dislike of you or I would just do the simple thing as put you on ignore. If you would go back and reread a lot of your comments they come off as arrogant and not spoken like a fan. I try to keep my comments to a debate base. You say you have covered this for so many years? Well this thread is not a newspaper, it is a Colt forum. It's only natural the comments are pro Colt and any other than something that is not thought provoking is quickly dismissed. You mention what I might try? Maybe you could try and treat this forum as what it is and not your personal agenda.

I have no dislike of you or I would just do the simple thing as put you on ignore. If you would go back and reread a lot of your comments they come off as arrogant and not spoken like a fan. I try to keep my comments to a debate base. You say you have covered this for so many years? Well this thread is not a newspaper, it is a Colt forum. It's only natural the comments are pro Colt and any other than something that is not thought provoking is quickly dismissed. You mention what I might try? Maybe you could try and treat this forum as what it is and not your personal agenda.

It may be a Colts forum but I'm not hear to be a homer fan.   Never have, never will be.    I'm not that way on the Stanford website I'm on daily.

I try and deal with the facts.   I try and deal with reality.    I try and deal with the truth.   I'm not right all the time, I'm wrong plenty.  But I admit when I'm wrong, and I know full well when I'm right.

And I'm right on the Irsay issue, even if you think it's not a fan's view.   

By the way,  here's another issue that points to a suspension.....   there are no stories out in the media wondering if Irsay should be suspended or not.    But there are plenty out there wondering two things....   how long will the suspension be, and when will be revealed.    And those stories have only increased in the last two weeks.   Since Irsay came out of rehab there are all sorts of stories wondering when the suspension will be announced.    The President of the NFLPA just called Goodell a hypocrite for not suspending Irsay already when he suspends players much faster.

There's nothing out there that points to no suspension.   But plenty that points to a suspension of some length.

I'm sorry that's not popular with some Colts fans.    But as I noted before,  I'm not the first or only Colts fan to say he's going to be suspended or should be suspended.

I'm sorry that my posting style strikes you (and others) as arrogant or that I'm not a Colts fan.    I wouldn't be here as much as I am if I weren't a Colts fan.

Either way,  I'm not the enemy.    I'm not saying you have to like me, or agree with me.   But to disagree with me because you don't like my posting style seems counter productive.   Most of posts are pretty mainstream.    And the ones that aren't (many on the draft forums)  are unpopular in the beginning until they've been proven accurate down the road.    I'm sorry I'm too arrogant for your liking.

But I try to cut through to the heart of the matter.   A topic can generate 20 or 30 (or more) posts wondering what's going to happen on any given issue.   If I feel certain of an issue, I try to offer an understanding of the issue that cuts to the heart of the matter and removes doubt. 

Someone wondered if two misdemeanors would merit Irsay being suspended.    I said yes and tried to offer reasons.   I'm sorry you didn't like my answer or the way I put it.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I can say to you......

Because if they really want to punish him, I'm not sure a suspension does anything real except for save appearances. I mean, it would be just like it was when he was in rehab. Taking some profit would be closer to what happens to players. Not saying they should do this, just asking how valid of a punishment a suspension really is?

I don't think any punishment the NFL hands out, even to players, is meant to be punitive. And I don't think they'll be interested in crippling the franchise. The point in punishment is to get the attention of the offender, make sure they know that they can't do whatever they want without consequences, and that if they do something stupid enough, they can be kicked out of the league. It's meant to be a deterrent for the offender and everyone else.

Irsay loves the team, so any suspension is going to be painful for him. But since he has people running the day to day on his behalf, including his daughters, I don't think it would have any real impact on the team's bottom line. Impose a fine -- they hit the Saints for $500K -- and a 4-8 game suspension, and that should do it. 

The President of the NFLPA just called Goodell a hypocrite for not suspending Irsay already when he suspends players much faster.

I'd just like to point out how ridiculous that particular criticism is. There are dozens of situations where Goodell has waited until the legal process has played out before making any decision about punishment.

I know it's not YOUR criticism. I'm just tired of hearing it, as it's ignorant and vindictive.