Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1992 Colts

Synthetic

Do any of you want to talk about a blast from the past?

I play Tecmo Bowl a lot. I talk it with a lot of friends. Last summer, I played the SNES version which is based on the 1992 season,and I figured I would try to do the impossible and get Jeff George a ring in the 16 bit universe. Needless to say, it was pretty tough to do, but I managed to pull out and barely win a SB against Dallas with the poor guy, who can throw huge bombs up and down the field most the time.

To understand the SNES version of Tecmo, I constantly look at the 1992 season, and one thing stuck out to me the most.

If you do a regular season with teams and let the COM simulate it week by week, the Colts normally lose a lot. Jeff George throws a bunch of picks and they typically go 4-12 and lose a lot of hard and bad games in blowout fashion.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/1992.htm

But in the real 1992 season, the Colts went 9-7 this year.

Offense scored 216 points total while the defense gave up 302 points.

But that's not all - They also lost 3 games in bad shut outs.

And they still almost made the playoffs! WOW! This is insane, very crazy and hard to believe.

Jeff George threw only 7 TD's and 15 INT's.

To the Colts credit, they beat the Bills this year who were the AFC winner, and they beat a decent Miami team who went 11-5.

Defensively, Duane Bickett must have been a beast. 6.5 sacks, 1 INT, and 1 forced fumble.

So I want to ask for anyone that witnessed the 1992 Colts, what happened this year? How does a team get shut out 3 times and look so horrible statistically, yet almost make the playoffs? It's very impressive and I apologize if I come off like I'm dogging them out, I don't hold any ill feelings towards this team, I'm really pretty shocked by it and find it to be funny that a team so horrible statistically had such a close chance of making the playoffs.

6paw5k.jpg

Whoa, both Jim Irsay & I had more hair in 1992 too.  haha

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/COLTS-SEASON-IN-REVIEW--1992/152b7dff-5b4e-4215-8a9a-ee2678714f43

Play "Colts Season In Review: 1992" & look at Jim speak at the 44 second mark in that video. That's a full head of hair there. Man, I miss those days. LOL! God bless hats...That's what I do now anyway. 

But in the real 1992 season, the Colts went 9-7 this year.

Jeff George threw only 7 TD's and 15 INT's.

That is pretty incredible when you consider that QB Jeff George was either feast or famine as a field general meaning either horrific or making the clutch throw to carry his team to victory.

A 16 year career & he played for a lot of teams too: Colts, Falcons, Raiders, Vikings, Redskins, Seahawks, Bears, & Tampa Bay Bucs. 

That is pretty incredible when you consider that QB Jeff George was either feast or famine as a field general meaning either horrific or making the clutch throw to carry his team to victory.

A 16 year career & he played for a lot of teams too: Colts, Falcons, Raiders, Vikings, Redskins, Seahawks, Bears, & Tampa Bay Bucs. 

He's remembered for terrible. I remember when he was first drafted, I was still a kid and we would buy cards every few weekends at the flea market, and my old man was so sold on George "this is it, he's going to be the next Dan Marino" we always had to buy a few George cards, and by 1992, I had two whole sheets of them, one nothing but rookie cards. So I was very disappointed in him.

Then when he went to Atlanta, I really couldn't stand him. I don't think the Saints beat Atlanta ever when Everett was our QB, and they had George/Hebert. Seeing Bobby Hebert come in and beat us to a pulp after they benched George was worse cause you know that had to be some poetic justice for the poor guy after Mora ditched him.

But I do have to say, his Minnesota season in 1998 was really good.

I never really understood why George never made a winner out of himself. I know it had to be the mental aspect of the game because he had an arm that any QB would have wanted to have. I seen him make passes that were unbelievable then back it up with some real dogs. He might have had the biggest gun ever. I guess his lack of being a team player caused a lot of teammates not want to play for him. I can say that his time with the Colts he spent more time looking at the roof of the dome than downfield. I also remember him having to be held back from putting a foot in Kravitz tail after Kravitz said something about his mother babying him or something of that order. It was really a shame he never got the mental aspect of the game considering he had as much talent as I had seen at the time.

Being an illini fan I was excited when the Colts drafted Jeff George. Then when that didn't work I was excited when he was traded to the falcons as they're my 2nd favorite team. He seemed perfect Qb for glanville's red gun offense. I figured he'd be the nfcs Warren moon. To much of a head case though.

1992 was the year the Colts has the first two draft picks... and took Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt.

Jeff George always struck me as an odd fellow who acted like a spoiled brat at times. The guy went to Purdue, and when they fired the coach he tried to transfer to Miami... and when they said he would be a backup for a while it was off to Illinois. Anytime I ever played Tecmo Super Bowl I pulled him for Jack Trudeau. 

Being an illini fan I was excited when the Colts drafted Jeff George. Then when that didn't work I was excited when he was traded to the falcons as they're my 2nd favorite team. He seemed perfect Qb for glanville's red gun offense. I figured he'd be the nfcs Warren moon. To much of a head case though.

It was sad that his own doing was his downfall. He might have gotten more support had he been a team player.

george had some good years in minnesota, as did warren moon. the vikings were the kings of recycled quarterbacks for a while there. they were smart enough to let george walk rather than give him the huge contract he was asking for. i always said he was the perfect backup because he was fantastic when he had to prove himself. but it all went to his head once he was the main guy

i missed most of the '92 season because i was living in colorado at the time. that was before the mass media world we know today

Always loved The Goose! It's hilarious now to see him in those adult diaper commercials.

I must admit that it is bizarre to watch this ad HTC.  :scratch:  :P  How come NASCAR drivers are not asked to do ads like this? That would make sense. 

http://youtu.be/FSX-U67UULA

Or this Joe Theisman prostrate ad. Who knew the bathroom relief market was so profitable? I sure didn't.

He's remembered for terrible. I remember when he was first drafted, I was still a kid and we would buy cards every few weekends at the flea market, and my old man was so sold on George "this is it, he's going to be the next Dan Marino" we always had to buy a few George cards, and by 1992, I had two whole sheets of them, one nothing but rookie cards. So I was very disappointed in him.

Then when he went to Atlanta, I really couldn't stand him. I don't think the Saints beat Atlanta ever when Everett was our QB, and they had George/Hebert. Seeing Bobby Hebert come in and beat us to a pulp after they benched George was worse cause you know that had to be some poetic justice for the poor guy after Mora ditched him.

But I do have to say, his Minnesota season in 1998 was really good.

Oops! I'm sure that your dad was a smart man who just missed both the boat & the harbor on QB Jeff George I'm afraid. Do you still have the NFL cards today Bogie or did you sell them?

Didn't Jeff get a weird head butt concussion in Minnesota after a TD once? Maybe it was another QB. I thought it was while George was in Minnesota, but I might be wrong about that one. 

Jeff had a rocket for an arm, but insufficient football IQ to back it up I think. 

Oops! I'm sure that your dad was a smart man who just missed both the boat & the harbor on QB Jeff George I'm afraid. Do you still have the NFL cards today Bogie or did you sell them?

Didn't Jeff get a weird head butt concussion in Minnesota after a TD once? Maybe it was another QB. I thought it was while George was in Minnesota, but I might be wrong about that one. 

Jeff had a rocket for an arm, but insufficient football IQ to back it up I think. 

I still have the cards somewhere in one of my binder books with the rest of them. I doubt they are worth much but it's a good sized collection if someone wanted a bunch of Georgie's cards.

I believe you have Gus Ferrotte in mind

I still have the cards somewhere in one of my binder books with the rest of them. I doubt they are worth much but it's a good sized collection if someone wanted a bunch of Georgie's cards.

I believe you have Gus Ferrotte in mind

Yep, I was thinking of Gus. Thanks for correcting me Bogie. I appreciate that.  :thmup:  It was bothering me, but now the mystery is cleared up. Woo Hoo! You rock Bogie!

Ah Huh those Jeff George cards won't be worth spit now. It would be interesting to see what a pawn shop would offer you for them or a sports trading store etc. Just let me know their best offer. I'm curious to hear Jeff George's value vs say Brett Favre & where they rank monetary wise. 

Putting aside George's obvious flaws in terms of being a team guy. Guy had terrible decision making most times. That was his real downfall. He had that Favre gunslinger mentality, but with much worse decision making then Brett.

The guy also wasn't a tough guy like Peyton or Andrew (mentally in a game that is), not able to overcome adversity like those two do. When things were going well, he'd be just good enough to win, but if they started going south, look out.

Those were some of the reasons for the lopsided wins. I was a teen at the 10-6 win against NYJ at the meadowlands. That team was truly schizophrenic because you never knew which team would show up.

Check out Tony Siragusa Baltimore Ravens DT "Goose" as an Indianapolis Colt in 1992...

$(KGrHqZHJCwE+(uDJUw7BQOEpC7C0w~~60_35.J

I still say he should've been cast as Fred Flintstone in the Flintstone movies, instead of John Goodman. Take the back end of that mullet in the picture and he's a dead ringer for Flintstone.

I'll share a story about the goose with you all. I was at the washington square mall ( a non native hoosier might not know it) as a kid and sitting at a table (pizza parlor) waiting for my dumb big sister to finish shopping and the goose noticed that i wasn't eating, so he bought me the biggest pizza there and helped me eat it. MY MOTHER AND I HAVE BEEN FANS...EVER SINCE. What a sweet guy.

Tony McCoy and Mike Prior (got a ring with GB later) were good players for the Colts. Radecic came over from the Bills and Pankey was a Ram for a long time I believe. Siragusa left right after that AFC title game season for a bigger contract I think. They were on a roll at the end of the season, played pretty good D. Beat the Bills , who were the team to beat at that time in the AFC , after losing big to them earlier. . Also beat Miami and Marino I think. Zefross Moss was a Cowboys castoff I think. I read Pro Football Outsiders said they were possibly the luckiest team of all time because they were outscored 300 to 200 and won their last five or six games in a row by an average of 4 points, had an inordinate amount of fumble recoveries, and an easy schedule, lol. That 91 team was as bad a team as there has ever been , barely beat the Jets by one point on a missed FG I believe for their one win.

I remember them vividly.   The 1992 had talent in spurts. Defensive line, linebackers, offensive line.  George didn't help things, but the problem was they were built to run but had nothing for a RB.  Anthony Johnson was versatile but not really a starting caliber RB.  WRs were mostly misfits from other teams.  Kerry Cash at TE  had a lot of athleticism but never produced.   I think what you see two years later, with more talent, is they played how they should have been playing all along.  Run the ball.   1992 team wasn't that good.  Drove me crazy.

I attended a Colts-Jets game that fall.  It was a pretty bad one - but the Colts pulled out a 6-3 win.  My real memory, though, is that Jeff George got pulled and sulked, alone, on the end of the bench as the team got the improbable win.  I felt that he was quite the jerk.

I remember them vividly. The 1992 had talent in spurts. Defensive line, linebackers, offensive line. George didn't help things, but the problem was they were built to run but had nothing for a RB. Anthony Johnson was versatile but not really a starting caliber RB. WRs were mostly misfits from other teams. Kerry Cash at TE had a lot of athleticism but never produced. I think what you see two years later, with more talent, is they played how they should have been playing all along. Run the ball. 1992 team wasn't that good. Drove me crazy.

Colts had the lowest output ever in a season in terms of rushing yards, barely over 1000 yards in 92. Exactly right about Johnson, he barely ever averaged over 3 yards per carry, but he was very good at catching the ball out of the backfield. That was the era where it seemed like the Colts were purposely trying to obtain every player from surrounding colleges they possibly could, Illinois, ND, etc..

Do any of you want to talk about a blast from the past?

They were a decent defensive team with a putrid offense. The first part of the schedule was tough and they got blown out a lot. The second half was not so tough and they played a lot of bad teams that couldn't score either . Like I said, the D played well keeping the score down. That being said, it was a statistical abberation because they were grossly outscored by a hundred points. It this was baseball a point spread like that would equate to a 60-104 record or worse and be the equivalent of a 3-13 football team or so. That's why a major site dealing with football type of sabermetrics called this one of the luckiest teams of all time. Also, they were very good at creating turnovers, which is huge. It was a season for the ages from that point of view.

6paw5k.jpg

Sorry got my answer entangled with quote, but it's in there. Yes, Bickett was a very good player for many years for the Colts and Seahawks. He was Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowl his first year I believe, 86 or so.

I remember going to some games in 92 in the hoosierdome I seen Jeff George play and he had a rocket for an arm. I remember how I couldn't believe how fast the ball got to a receiver, but I also remember him being a selfish, cocky person. I also remember the "Goose" playing.

I remember we were suppose to be one of the worst teams in the league that year and were lucky to be 9-7.