Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Mayock is the Best....

It's not that he is or isn't the most accurate in his predictions or evaluations, its that he isn't overexposed and I perceive him to be the expert.  He dribbles information out throughout the draft season (position rankings top 5) to keep you interested while Jeremiah, Brooks and others provide the mindless volume to appease the masses.  He uses buzz words and cliches like everyone else, but he does one mock, and we all pay attention.

He (or his bosses) has crafted a meaningful brand by understanding the fragile perception of expertise and the impact of scarcity.  There are principles that we should all pay attention to here in our business and personal lives.  Mayock has demonstrated substance (in my opinion) beyond his peers, but it wouldn't have the power without the scarcity.

Are you talking about just NFL.com people or are you including the Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's of the world too.

I like Mel Kiper the best, just my opinion. Mayock, Kiper, and McShay are about even to me it just goes off your preference on who you like better. All three are always on top of their game compared to the rest.

What gets me about Kiper and Mayock was that when the draft got to the 6th-7th round they still rattle of their knowledge of the player selected off the top of their head without even referring to their notes, that's impressive man.

But lately I don't think Mayock has the same amount of time to put in like the others since he does ND games, Thursday Night Football, and playoff games now, he has a busy schedule during the year now as opposed to the past

Are you talking about just NFL.com people or are you including the Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's of the world too.

I like Mel Kiper the best, just my opinion. Mayock, Kiper, and McShay are about even to me it just goes off your preference on who you like better. All three are always on top of their game compared to the rest.

What gets me about Kiper and Mayock was that when the draft got to the 6th-7th round they still rattle of their knowledge of the player selected off the top of their head without even referring to their notes, that's impressive man.

But lately I don't think Mayock has the same amount of time to put in like the others since he does ND games, Thursday Night Football, and playoff games now, he has a busy schedule during the year now as opposed to the past

Much respect for Kiper, but he is a little overexposed and McShay feels like his little brother to me.  I prefer the earthy/organic "football fit" that Mayock brings to evaluations in addition to the measurables.  Last year Mayock mocked Pugh to the Giants at 19.  It was a bit out of the blue, but he nailed it, and it was a football character and production fit basis.  He is wrong plenty, like the others, but there is more insight into football operations and executive behaviors.

My  only complaint about Mayock is that he can get easily caught up in hype like everyone else, especially when it comes to QB's. He was going crazy over Geno's pro day and he's always honest in admitting that Jamarcus Russell had the best pro day he's seen. Kiper is a little overexposed but I feel he's a little more realistic and grounded. He's the first to point out overrated prospects and say stuff like "don't believe the hype". I've been impressed that Kiper is one of the few analysts to say Dennard is the best corner, not Gilbert.

All three guys,  Mayock, Kiper and McShay are terrific.

I know McShay can come across like the little brother,  but if you're an Insider on ESPN.com and you see the work of his team (it's not just McShay, he's got two partners)  you'll see they do terrific work.   And they're right just as often as Mayock and Kiper.

I think McShay is deferential to Kiper.   He knows Mel has been around doing this for ESPN for more than 30 years.   He's only willing to challenge him to a point.   Then, he bites his tongue.    But, I've noticed Kiper is being much more respectful to Todd.  He's publicly pointing out when McShay is first to recognize a hot rising player like Indiana WR Cody Latimer.  

My one concern about Mayock is my concern about all of the people who talk about the draft and do mocks on ESPN.com.....

And that is that they're so invested in the hype of the draft, that they won't say that a draft is not good.  (First round last year)  Or a position group is not strong.    Everyone is great!     Every group seems strong!    Very few negative comments.   It's as if they don't want to damage the brand (the Draft)  that they've worked so hard to build.   They don't want to do anything to hurt the ratings for their draft shows.

But,  on balance,  I think these three guys are tops....  best information.   And I use the information from all of them, not just one.

I respect the time and effort these guys put in but I still don't put a lot of attention because of teams always going different directions with their picks. In turn, the players will change positions on the board for most teams. It almost always has a player who is invited on day one who sits till day two. With all the QBs coming out this season it will make an interesting draft that's for sure.

I'm curious, it would be cool if maybe Pro Football Focus or someone with the time and resources would actually track and document....

1. The accuracy of all these high-profile "experts" draft rankings based on their predictions/rankings and the round prospects are actually selected.

2. And then....taking it a step further....grade the first 3 years of the prospect's NFL career to determine how accurate the experts got that as well.

NFLN touches on it a little bit when they review draft years....but no one I know of actually grades the "experts".

None of them are gonna bat 1000....after all, no GM does....and dynamics such as coaching and scheme-fit are critical factors....but I'd be interested to see how the "experts" actually did once the player's careers are 2-3 years established. Anyone know of a website or publication that does this?

GMs get fired when they get it wrong too many years in a row....and yes, I get that they're actually screwing up an NFL team with their mistakes.

But as popular as the Draft has become, why shouldn't some of these TV hotshots at least be held to some account?

***BRAIN CRAMP ALERT!!***

In addition to Kiper, McShay and Mayock, there are two other people who I think are tops,   One,  is the other person the NFL Network uses for evaluations, and that's Nolan Nawrocki.     His write-ups are first rate...    and he's not afraid to take an unpopular stance.     And, he's not afraid to say a draft is weak, or a position group is weak, or a QB should NOT go first overall.  

The other does evaluations for a living,   but mostly NFL evaluations, not college.   And that's Greg Cosell.   And, in case you're curious, he's related to Howard.    I think a nephew?    He's the executive producer for a long-time popular show on ESPN called NFL Match-up.    That show features Sal Palantonio as the host, and the two analysts are Ron Jaworksi and Merrill Hoge.    Cosell is the guy who finds all the tape.    He spends his life looking at tape.     

So, come the spring, he'll switch and do evaluations of top college players.   He'll do quarterbacks, and from time to time, he'll do positional groups as well and talk about the 5-10 best in each group.    His write-ups are also very insightful.   Again, people are free to disagree.    I do from time to time with all these guys....   but all of them watch a lot of tape for a living!   So, that gives them a level of credibility the others don't have....

Only issue I have with Mayock is he seems to love every player at the Combine, You will hear him say such and such player had some bad tape sometimes though. On a side note I kinda thought the Combine turned into The Clowney Show far to much this year, I expect Clowney to be very good but I also thought the NFL Network spent to much time focusing on Clowney and not enough on every other player, especially the mid round players...It was to much Desert and not enough Meat and Potatoes this year I thought.

Only issue I have with Mayock is he seems to love every player at the Combine, You will hear him say such and such player had some bad tape sometimes though. On a side note I kinda thought the Combine turned into The Clowney Show far to much this year, I expect Clowney to be very good but I also thought the NFL Network spent to much time focusing on Clowney and not enough on every other player, especially the mid round players...It was to much Desert and not enough Meat and Potatoes this year I thought.

I'll share something with you that I don't know if I've made public before....   I interviewed for a job with the NFL Network about 2 years ago.     Didn't get it which was very, very disappointing.    The NFLN picks certain stories to hype everyday.    And once they decide that a certain topic is a ratings winner they will milk it for every last ounce of juice and ratings points they can get.

Every.   Last.    One.

So, as for Clowney,  I agree,  the beat his horse until it died and then they beat it some more.

As for Mayock loving everyone.....   I must confess that I heard Mayock be more critical this year than before.   I know he was very unimpressed with Ed Reynolds of Stanford.   And he made similar remarks about several other players this year, so I was surprised and little bit pleased... (although not about Reynolds, but about Mayock willing to be critical..)

In addition to Kiper, McShay and Mayock, there are two other people who I think are tops, One, is the other person the NFL Network uses for evaluations, and that's Nolan Nawrocki. His write-ups are first rate... and he's not afraid to take an unpopular stance. And, he's not afraid to say a draft is weak, or a position group is weak, or a QB should NOT go first overall.

The other does evaluations for a living, but mostly NFL evaluations, not college. And that's Greg Cosell. And, in case you're curious, he's related to Howard. I think a nephew? He's the executive producer for a long-time popular show on ESPN called NFL Match-up. That show features Sal Palantonio as the host, and the two analysts are Ron Jaworksi and Merrill Hoge. Cosell is the guy who finds all the tape. He spends his life looking at tape.

So, come the spring, he'll switch and do evaluations of top college players. He'll do quarterbacks, and from time to time, he'll do positional groups as well and talk about the 5-10 best in each group. His write-ups are also very insightful. Again, people are free to disagree. I do from time to time with all these guys.... but all of them watch a lot of tape for a living! So, that gives them a level of credibility the others don't have....

Can care less about Nolan Nawrocki

Can care less about Nolan Nawrocki

I know....   I know.....   you're not alone.    He's very polarizing.    You're not the first person here to voice their unhappiness with him.

But in a world where being bold and decisive and willing to go against the herd mentality is easier said than done,  I appreciate his work......    He has a long track record of being right....    as right as anyone else who does this for a living....

In addition to Kiper, McShay and Mayock, there are two other people who I think are tops,   One,  is the other person the NFL Network uses for evaluations, and that's Nolan Nawrocki.     His write-ups are first rate...    and he's not afraid to take an unpopular stance.     And, he's not afraid to say a draft is weak, or a position group is weak, or a QB should NOT go first overall.  

The other does evaluations for a living,   but mostly NFL evaluations, not college.   And that's Greg Cosell.   And, in case you're curious, he's related to Howard.    I think a nephew?    He's the executive producer for a long-time popular show on ESPN called NFL Match-up.    That show features Sal Palantonio as the host, and the two analysts are Ron Jaworksi and Merrill Hoge.    Cosell is the guy who finds all the tape.    He spends his life looking at tape.     

So, come the spring, he'll switch and do evaluations of top college players.   He'll do quarterbacks, and from time to time, he'll do positional groups as well and talk about the 5-10 best in each group.    His write-ups are also very insightful.   Again, people are free to disagree.    I do from time to time with all these guys....   but all of them watch a lot of tape for a living!   So, that gives them a level of credibility the others don't have....

I agree with this. Nolan is also the only person to really put the character issues into perspective. Every other analysts tries to sweep every character issue under the rug and make it look like the prospect is flawless. A perfect example is Johnny Manziel. Everyone pretty much has just swept his character issues under the rug to make it seem like he's a flawless prospect. But here is something that only Nolan has really mentioned:

Has not developed a reputation as a worker or for doing the extras. Suspect intangibles -- not a leader by example or known to inspire by his words. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance seeking out the bright lights of Hollywood. Is known to party too much and is drawn to all the trappings of the game. Lacks ideal starting experience (only two years), operated a non-traditional offense and has a lot to learn.

-Nolan Nawrocki

With Mayock it's "I think he's competitive, and he's a real leader and has a great personality".